Moparts

Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices ..

Posted By: bigdad

Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/21/13 04:48 AM

Small block, A body ..

40% street 60% strip ..

Going to use to make some long(er) distance treks in it ..

1st thought was using a gear vendor, but would the 518 be a better option

Cost Vs ..

Opinions ?

Attached picture 7931242-valwagmockside.jpg
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/21/13 06:41 AM

We did a A500 for awhile, with no lock up and a 904 input. With a swich on the shifter for overdrive. It's smaller/ lighter than a A518.(still heavy and long).

What kind of power from the small block?

What kind of strip time, bracket racing or fun/grudge/et chase?

I like the car
Posted By: gregsrt

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/21/13 07:07 AM

SMR Transmissions has od options for street and race applications. Pat is a great guy to deal with, but they are in Canada.
Posted By: topside

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/21/13 07:13 AM

GV is pretty bulletproof. Driveshaft angle can be an issue though. I like the idea of an OD trans, but a GV is a simple solution.
Posted By: ksj

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/21/13 07:48 AM

What is Mr P Body using on the Rampage?
Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/21/13 02:52 PM

What rear gear ratio are you going to run?

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/21/13 04:35 PM

The plan is to get it up and running with a basic small block ..Like maybe 400 hp or so ?

Get some of the bugs worked out of it then, put a real power plant in it .

So, ET expectations in the beginning would be low 11's and it will be driven to some local tracks the furthest one I'd drive to would be 250 miles ..

I suppose the rear geat will be like 4.30 ?

Putting a Dana under it

Up for suggestions on power / drive train..

I hate to put this out there but, I'd like to try drag week ..It may never happen but, its a goal
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/21/13 05:17 PM

Quote:

We did a A500 for awhile, with no lock up and a 904 input. With a swich on the shifter for overdrive. It's smaller/ lighter than a A518.(still heavy and long).

What kind of power from the small block?

What kind of strip time, bracket racing or fun/grudge/et chase?

I like the car

IIRC, you went mid 10's with that A500, didn't you? I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1) What valve body did you use?

2) Why no A500 now?

3) What kind of cutting/fab/mount did it take to get it the car?

Thanks!
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/21/13 05:29 PM

4L80E
Posted By: MattW

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/21/13 05:35 PM

Iirc tci has a transmission that is a 6 speed and will handle 600 ft/lbs of torque.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/21/13 11:46 PM

And it's basically a 4L80E.
R.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/21/13 11:54 PM

I'd look at a GM 200R4.Plenty strong for a stock eliminator car and small case as well.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/22/13 02:08 AM

what ever trans you want and a gear vendors over drive.

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/22/13 03:28 AM

I'm making a new floor / tunnel / mount so that part does not matter ..

But, length ...M I G H T become an issue ?
Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/22/13 04:39 AM

Honesty, if you're not an ET chaser and not after every last hundredth, I'd use a 3-speed Trans, 3.54-3.55 gears and a quality, loose converter and move on....having a low gear in the rear is WAY over rated especially with how well converters work now compared to 20-30 years ago...

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/22/13 04:54 AM

Good info ..

I was concerned on highway RPM's on distance runs, its 40 miles to the local track so that's easy

But, I'd like to be able to drop the RPMS to save wear and tear on long runs , like if I go to Fargo or heaven forbid i am able to make it to drag week

I do plan on making it bullet proof for the highway

No sense to make some crazy ET claims at this point but ..I plan it to be kinda fast at some point ..

I appreciate any tips

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/22/13 06:44 AM

IIRC, you went mid 10's with that A500, didn't you? I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1) What valve body did you use?

2) Why no A500 now?

3) What kind of cutting/fab/mount did it take to get it the car?

Thanks!

Low 11.s with that set up.
1) Protrans set it up with one of his own forward man. V.b.
2) Heavy and long, and a bit of a power eater compaired to a 904. Also to get enough converter to really make the car happy with the current engine combo it will have alot of slip in O.D.
3)Reshape part of the tunnel some. Cut out the top of the trans cross member and make a newer lower with a Chevy trans mount. Then I made a new cross member/drive shaft loop to replace the strength of what was cut out.

This set up will probably go back in the car with a 6.4 hemi in the future with my son playing with it. But my new junk has to run 1st.

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/22/13 06:57 AM

Quote:

Good info ..

I was concerned on highway RPM's on distance runs, its 40 miles to the local track so that's easy

But, I'd like to be able to drop the RPMS to save wear and tear on long runs , like if I go to Fargo or heaven forbid i am able to make it to drag week

I do plan on making it bullet proof for the highway

No sense to make some crazy ET claims at this point but ..I plan it to be kinda fast at some point ..

I appreciate any tips

If I was not going to bracket race it much I would put a 5 speed stick in it. No slip on the highway (heat)and fun to drive. With the right clutch you could have a lot of fun as long as there is not alot of traffic.

I had a Nash 5 speed with a 340 that was a lot of fun. Just a thought.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/22/13 03:02 PM

Seems to me the "ideal" trans would be the A518 with a lockup converter, or any trans with that ability. I'm sure someone out there makes a higher stall "performance" oriented converter, they certainly do for it's larger brother in the diesels. Trans "heat" is virtually non existant once the converter is locked up going down the highway. Anybody here in the "been there.... done that" catagory?
Posted By: 80fbody

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/22/13 03:23 PM

Quote:

I'd look at a GM 200R4.Plenty strong for a stock eliminator car and small case as well.

There was an A-Body build with the 200R4 trans over on FABO awhile back. That trans really looked like it could be the best small case overdrive unit as there are enough parts to make it hold up. Would like to build one myself sometime.
Posted By: Duner

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/22/13 03:26 PM

Precision Industries makes a billet performance lockup converter for that trans. You just have to have them build it with enough lockup clutch capability for the power you plan to run. I failed to do so - and now I have to send mine back in for an upgrade.
Posted By: tsanchez

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/22/13 03:33 PM

Ahh, come on, nothing like 3300 rpm for hours and hours and hours hahahahaha
Posted By: Duner

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/22/13 03:45 PM

I distinctly remember that about "the good old days" when a long trip involved hours upon hours of droning exhaust vibrations. I took a 1,300 mile trip from Phoenix to Williston ND with 4.56 gears and no overdrive and no exhaust system other than a set of Thrush header mufflers directly on the collectors - under the front seats. By the time I returned that 1,300 miles the other direction I decided that the NEXT time I'd go ahead and get better mufflers, maybe even an exhaust system AND different gears.

Overdrive transmissions, lockup converters and quiet exhaust systems are improvements I've GREATLY come to appreciate in my old age.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/22/13 04:49 PM

SMR Shorty with GV unit...Best I have seen....
Posted By: gregsrt

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/22/13 05:44 PM

Link to SMR

http://smrtrans.tripod.com/smrtransmissionsintro/id5.html
Posted By: 80fbody

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/23/13 12:04 AM

Quote:

I'm sure you're going to be around $5K for one of their setups. But it would still be all mopar. The 200r4 would be thousands less.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/23/13 12:29 AM

I replaced a 904 for an A518 behind a stock 318 in my daily used '73 Dart.
Did notice the heavier transmission and also the less-favorable first gearratio in the 518 compared to the 904/500.
With a more torqy engine it might not be that noticable.

In your case I would personally go for a properly setup A500, to keep it all Mopar, or maybe some GM-transmission.
Both require crossmember mods, but I know the 500/518 requires tunnelmodifications aswell.

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/23/13 03:09 AM

Posted By: Twostick

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/23/13 05:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure you're going to be around $5K for one of their setups. But it would still be all mopar. The 200r4 would be thousands less.

I was going to suggest this setup. I don't know if they made a short SB 727 but I have a BB one from a 4x4 with a divorced transfer. I would think you could build your own shorty GearVendors for the price of a GV kit and whatever 727 you might have in stock plus a short output shaft.

Kevin
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/23/13 02:51 PM

Quote:

What is Mr P Body using on the Rampage?

Is got a 518 in it that I built for him. Converted to non lock up converter for better converter choice. OD just works off a switch. He just bought a trans shift kit that had a full reverse manual option. It wasn't too hard to convert the valve body over myself.

It's probably not the best option (because of weight /drag), but very cost effective compared to a GV.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/23/13 07:54 PM

Quote:

Link to SMR

http://smrtrans.tripod.com/smrtransmissionsintro/id5.html

These Guys know how to get your attention:

Attached picture 7933836-tachvsspeedo.jpg
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/23/13 10:25 PM

The GV doesn't reduce RPM as much as the O/D transmissions.
Remember that your driveshaft RPM does not go down, plan your angles very carefully.
Here's a few choices and remarks on my site:
http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/aod.htm

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/23/13 11:36 PM

I have an A500 in one of my prostreet vehicles...Its not bad, but can rob a bit of power.

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/24/13 04:29 AM

Too many choices but, not many agree on what to use

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/24/13 05:05 AM

Quote:

If your going to beat the tar out of it, I would do the shorty 727 with GV OD from SMR....The Mopar OD transmissions will work, but are no where near what a built 727 with a GV will....I shift my A500 into OD at full throttle, and with all the upgrades, it has held up very well...The draw back is the convertor choices when you spinning the OD even when disengaged...It will put extra heat in the trans. I run a lockup style, even less choices, but less heat.
Posted By: 65 Hemi

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/24/13 05:14 AM

I love the 4L80 behind the 500" in my 65 Plymouth. It runs 6.80s driving it to the track in street trim leaving off idle (wont hook on M&Hs).
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/24/13 04:41 PM

Quote:

I went through all this when I bought my Duster project, I never did come up with an easy option that I could afford so I decided to just run 3.55 gears and utilize a 500" pump gas big block with CNC MW Eddy heads for torque. Hoping to be able to drive it to the track and run 10's. An overdrive setup would be better but this will have to do for now.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/24/13 05:37 PM

You could always go with a 727, 2.76's and 20 lbs of boost....

Kevin
Posted By: turbobitt

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/25/13 04:41 AM

Quote:

If your going to beat the tar out of it, I would do the shorty 727 with GV OD from SMR

I tried using a shorty GV setup in my Hemi Challenger and it hit worse than the standard length unit. The studs and back side of the OD hit the factory torsion bar X-member and made it impossible to install without serious modifications. I ended up switching over to the standard length kit and bashing the floor were needed.
If I was to do it over I would seriously look into the 200R4. I know there is a bellhousing option available to make it work. Some details in the link below.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/the-very-first-bolt-on-bell-2004r.402724/
Allan G.

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/25/13 05:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If your going to beat the tar out of it, I would do the shorty 727 with GV OD from SMR

I tried using a shorty GV setup in my Hemi Challenger and it hit worse than the standard length unit. The studs and back side of the OD hit the factory torsion bar X-member and made it impossible to install without serious modifications. I ended up switching over to the standard length kit and bashing the floor were needed.
If I was to do it over I would seriously look into the 200R4. I know there is a bellhousing option available to make it work. Some details in the link below.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/the-very-first-bolt-on-bell-2004r.402724/
Allan G.

Interesting....

SMR says its a bolt in deal:

ONLY 7 1/4" LONGER THAN A STANDARD 727, an SMR "Shortie" overdrive transmission is a DIRECT BOLT-ON for all Slant 6, V6, A, B, RB, and 426 and GEN III HEMI engines in rear wheel drive 1962 to 1970 "B" Body Chrysler vehicles . No floorpan or critical crossmember modifications are required.* (No special fabrication or welding skills required)
* In some installations a small dent may be required to clear the speedometer adapter at the overdrive housing.
Installation is a true bolt-in, requiring only the shortening of the driveshaft, in any '62-'70 "B' Body or 2 wd truck originally equipped with a 727, 904 or 3 or 4 speed standard transmission. Installation is also simple in '67 to '76 "A" Body cars with only minor modification of the lower transmission mount

This transmission retains:
-stock crossmember;
-transmission mount;
-stock cooler lines;
-stock shifter (except '62-65) and kickdown linkage;
-stock or heavy duty Chrysler flexplate;
-standard design Chrysler torque converter;
-stock starter and location; and
-The full strength and integrity of the overall transmission is not compromised by removal of the original cast bellhousing to utilize an adapter that is welded on or bolted to the pump. (Such a bolt on bellhousing places the full torque load onto the pump bolts which were designed strictly for the purpose of holding the pump in place).
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/25/13 05:19 AM

gotta remember too boys.... the wagon has NO torsion bars, so changing/moving a X member has far less bearing on things.
Posted By: turbobitt

Re: Street / Strip(Overdrive) automatic trans choices .. - 11/25/13 05:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Allan G.

Interesting....

SMR says its a bolt in deal:

ONLY 7 1/4" LONGER THAN A STANDARD 727, an SMR "Shortie" overdrive transmission is a DIRECT BOLT-ON for all Slant 6, V6, A, B, RB, and 426 and GEN III HEMI engines in rear wheel drive 1962 to 1970 "B" Body Chrysler vehicles . No floorpan or critical crossmember modifications are required.* (No special fabrication or welding skills required)
* In some installations a small dent may be required to clear the speedometer adapter at the overdrive housing.
Installation is a true bolt-in, requiring only the shortening of the driveshaft, in any '62-'70 "B' Body or 2 wd truck originally equipped with a 727, 904 or 3 or 4 speed standard transmission. Installation is also simple in '67 to '76 "A" Body cars with only minor modification of the lower transmission mount

This transmission retains:
-stock crossmember;
-transmission mount;
-stock cooler lines;
-stock shifter (except '62-65) and kickdown linkage;
-stock or heavy duty Chrysler flexplate;
-standard design Chrysler torque converter;
-stock starter and location; and
-The full strength and integrity of the overall transmission is not compromised by removal of the original cast bellhousing to utilize an adapter that is welded on or bolted to the pump. (Such a bolt on bellhousing places the full torque load onto the pump bolts which were designed strictly for the purpose of holding the pump in place).

I can tell you it that it doesn't work in an E body. The lip on the removable transmission mount x-member had to be ground off, plus I also had to do extensive modifications to the GV tail housing to make an attempt at clearing the torsion bar X-member and in the end could not make it work as advertised. Was a total nightmare. The GV unit sat in my basement for the last 4 years until a month ago when I decided to return everything for the STD unit.
Allan G.
© 2024 Moparts Forums