Moparts

Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60???

Posted By: BradH

Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 04:17 PM

Don't laugh, but I'm 54 now and progress on my Challenger moves at a slower-than-Grandma pace due to family commitments w/ the three kids (5, 9 & 12), etc.

How many of you people are still (or intend to remain) active in drag racing when the rest of the world classifies you as a "senior citizen?"

Oh, please don't bring up people like WJ who do this for a living; I'm looking for Joe Average feedback.

Thanks!
Brad
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 04:42 PM

Well it has never stopped being fun for me and when it does quit being fun will be my last day on this earth. I wish is was 60,at 54 your still a youngster.
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 04:56 PM

I was just wondering the same thing, only add 10 years.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 05:12 PM

i am older than you and think it's still fun but don't like the work so much to get there. yes it takes longer
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 05:24 PM

I will be 65 soon. I thought I was done in '05. I sold everything and sort of retired from racing...for awhile. Got the bug again and put another car together and started racing again in '10. Had to buy another trailer, tow vehicle, etc. I still enjoy it, but I don't take it near as serious as I did when I was younger. I will go as often as I can. I do not put the racing ahead of family. I go for the fun and companionship of grandkids, other racers, etc. It is kind of neat to now be like some of the 'older racers' I used to look up to. I will keep at it as long as my health allows me to.
Posted By: Wv68charger

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 05:34 PM

Dad turned 70 this year and we've started the next step in getting him to a milestone he's always wanted too reach with the car, it excites him so much when we talk about it I swear it
Keeps him young.He talks that it's about time to step away and let me drive full time and I keep saying no way not till your physically unable to drive I only enjoy it if he's involved.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 05:37 PM

Well I'll be 58 (I think) next March And I look at it this way. I bought a house, got married, had kids, got divorced, had a heart attach, shoulder operation, hernia, 3 knee operations, and retired and I never missed a year of racing in almost 39 years so whats gonna stop me, a few aches and pains. HECK NO. I can still climb in and out of the window of the Duster in the car trailer. I would love to drop some weigh and get to the gym as those 90 degree days are killers so I will try once again to do that.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 06:16 PM

Brad...If the docs do their job I will be back in my car within 3 years. That will put me at 60. Even if I am not at the wheel,my 64 will be going down the track! I plan on being there and at least watching! Just my opinion but I don't see you having your car done by the time you are 60!!
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 06:29 PM

I am 67 now and I have had the bug since I was 14. I rode my bike down the hill and passed by an open carport at an apartment. In the carport was a new Max Wedge Dodge race car. Lettering on the side said "Drag Fast Dodge" "Clark Marshall, Driver" . My family had Phords, but from that moment on I had the Mopar bug and when I was old enough to drive and had the money for a ticket, I was at Pacific Raceways watching the Mopars beat everything else. Now I am building my "last hurrah" and I will drive it, but it is really for the grand kids to drive . So, it has to be a lot safer for them to drive, than the junk I used to race!

BTW Drag Fast was a competitor to Hurst back in the day, but Hurst had Linda Vaughn so they faded into history
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 07:01 PM

Quote:

Well it has never stopped being fun for me and when it does quit being fun will be my last day on this earth. I wish is was 60,at 54 your still a youngster.

I'm 67 and I'm still having fun. Aha to be 54 again....
Posted By: Mr340

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 07:11 PM

It has been fun this year @ 59, pretty sure it'll be fun next year too and as others have said, until i can't get in the car anymore
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 07:37 PM

I just turned 58 and can't wait for opening day next season, won't quit untill I am physically unable to.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 07:48 PM

When I was 30 yrs. old a older freind of mine wadded up his 1955 T -Bird with a BB Chevy running C gas, I went to see him in the middle of the week at his home and he was in bed(he had been kept in the hospital overnight for observation and released the next morning), he wasn't injured seriuosly, but he was bruised up from the harnesses. He hadn't shave in two or three days, he was wearing a less than clean Isky T shirt on and didn't look real good.
I thought to myself at that time I do not want to look like that when I'm his age, mid 40 yr. old ,still drag racing. That was in the mid 1970s, in the late 1980s a older gentlemen started racing a 1969 AMX in Super Pro at LACR that was in his late 60 to early 70s and I thought the same thing, I don't want to be drag racing in my 60 or 70s I'm 68 now and will be 69 in January (if you live long enough you will get old ) As you know I'm switching heads on the Cuda now to step it up to make it run faster for the MATS race in Las Vegas in April I'm not planning on driving it there now due to me not having all the safety gear and license to run the car all out so. I will have a freind who is licensed and has the proper safety gear to drive it in the eights at 150 + MPH drive it thier so it will show better with a for sale sign on it. I'll put the wheelie bars and parachute back on it and let him have some fun in a faster car than his is now,( I may sneak in one pass in it ) I expect my car to be right at a 1/2 second quicker and maybe 8 to 10 MPH faster than his, not much faster
I did stop drag racing in 1988 for a couple of years and took up flying, flying is a lot of work to do it properly, flying isn't a lot of fun either, unless your doing aerobatics Flying your own airplane is a excellent way to get where your going in a hurry, especially in SO CA during rush hour. I bought a 4 place retractable gear piper Comanche 250, it would crusie at 180+ MPH comfortably, 4 hrs. from SO CA to cenral OR with no traffic at 11,500 above sea level I did swear to myself when I quit drag racing and sold my stocker and bracket cars that I would not do it(drag race) again unless it was fun, I had made myself beleive that when I raced back then if I didn't win the race I wasn't having any fun A freind and customer bought a used BB Duster bracket car in 1992 and wanted me to test drive it at LACR on a Wednesday T&T session, he was a really good customer that I did a lot of motors for so I did drive test it for him, that ended up with me helping him on that car for a lot of yrs. He was a pilot also but he had eye surgery that ruined his night vision so he would drive the car until sundown and I would make one or two passes in the dark, it ended up being a T&T car so we where trying things on it to make it go faster, that was fun Brad, do what YOU THINK is best for you
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 07:51 PM

I'll be 74 next weekend and I still have lots of fun. Because of cost I have to pick and choose races but I'll do it until I'm not competitive. I don't win many rounds but I have fun losing!!!!!
Posted By: Rumblefish68

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 07:52 PM

I 'm guessing, but the average age of racers in the Various Nostalgia Super Stock Series is mid 60's. We've got guys starting after they've retired. I'll be 60 next month, car runs mid 9's, pass the physical, a few aches & pains, Life is good. My wife and I were talking about where we'll retire to, and we agreed to stay in the mid-west, that's where there's the most NSS races. I won't retire for 6 more years, but looking ahead. Takes longer to do things, but so what. As long as your reactions are good , and your not a danger to anyone, have at it.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 08:02 PM

Damn ... There are a whole buncha Gezzers on here ! .... Still great fun at 39 .... Hope the payouts are better when I get to be 60 ...
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 08:03 PM

The key is WHENEVER you actually get out there and race........... Just playin.............
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 08:47 PM

gona be 60 2014 been raceing since 1985 not going to quit till i get a wally, could be 70 thou

Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 08:50 PM

Turned 60 back in April...still having fun,,,got both of my daughters out there racing with me.
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 09:11 PM

I'll be 65 in Feb. I sold my 69 Dart in July. Purchased a Daytona that is certified to 8.50. I always liked the Wayne County car DA drove. I planned on cloning that car. But I recently saw a pic of a sliver one that looked really good. Now I confused. Anyway I am rambling. Brad, as long as it feels good, do it.
Posted By: oldiron

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 09:21 PM

fun @ 60
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 09:24 PM

Just because you can retire in the mid 60's doesn't mean your on your death bed. I'm 65 race as often as money is available after spending it all on other car projects. A friend of mine is 73 and runs mid 8's in the quarter, he's putting in a bigger engine to drop down to the low 8's this months.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 09:37 PM

When was the last time you raced? All these old guys prove that if your hearts into it, then yes it's fun, but I don't recall you ever really posting race results or new best ETs, so I'm not really sure why you do this stuff. I know you like the dyno sessions and making the power and I have intrest in the stuff you post.
It's really up to you, your the only one that can really answer your question. If your passion is dyno time then sell the car and put a dyno in the garage lol we will still read your posts lol
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 09:39 PM

I sure hope so..But make sure you let me know as you will beat me there by a few years
Posted By: HOT IN AZ

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 09:42 PM

Attended my first drag race with my family in 1962. After racing on and off in NHRA stock and superstock since '77 I will be returning to stock next year with my 72 Demon. I just turned 59 and more aches and pains than years ago, but it's the competitiveness and the fact all my family and friends do this also. Wish me luck!
Posted By: AAR-B4

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 10:53 PM

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Better keep going you don't wanna get old...do ya?

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 11:16 PM

Quote:

When was the last time you raced?

FWIW, 2008... Pulled the engine back out in spring 2009 and it's been off the street & strip since. And the last race series I was trying to compete in on a regular basis was in 2000, before my first son was born.

My, time flies when you're stuck in an endless loop of not getting things done and having other things in your life always being re-prioritized above your hobby.

Pre-marriage (#2) & kids (now have 3 of 'em), you could find me at the track 2-3 times a month, sometimes twice a weekend when the schedule worked out. Same thing when I was still racing motocross before I got back into street cars.

Even if the car was running today, I'll be blunt and say that I still don't know how frequently I'd be at the track. When ever I make a comment about this sort of stuff to non-gearhead friends & family, I always get the same "You'll have more time when the kids get older..." response.

Well, HTF old am I going to be when they're old enough for that to happen? / /
Posted By: montessa

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 11:20 PM

Man, I found my pier group!! Turned the big 60 this year and have no plan of ever giving it up!

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 11:23 PM

Quote:

... I don't recall you ever really posting race results or new best ETs, so I'm not really sure why you do this stuff.

Yeah, probably better if I stop posting here until I (ever?) have the running again, instead of wasting "cyber-oxygen" and brain cells here.

Posted By: coronetville

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/11/13 11:35 PM

Yes, if you have the money$$$$$
Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/12/13 12:07 AM

Well I am only 25 so I hope to be out there racing when I am 60!!

The old man just turned 60 and he is out there every weekend I am, wrenching and working!

Casey
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/12/13 12:12 AM

I turn 60 next year I`ll let you know! I don`t plan on slowing down one bit.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/12/13 12:22 AM

Quote:

The key is WHENEVER you actually get out there and race........... Just playin.............

I didn't realize you were such a young punk,you speaketh like an ole sole

I'll be out there until they find a cure
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/12/13 12:29 AM

Quote:

fun @ 60

I fire up 69 in 2 days and still enjoy it. Per tech in, I'm often the oldest guy racing at many of the events we attend. When I am not physically able to climb in and out of the car anymore will probably be my determining factor. I have slowed down in # of events attended though. Also my enjoyment is some what split between actual racing and working on my car.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/12/13 12:48 AM

All of a sudden, I don't feel so old anymore (I'm 56 now) In 2011, I ran well enough to finnish in the top 5 in TWO classes, driving the same car. In 2012, I missed the first 5 races due to knee surgey. In 2013, I've missed the last 6 races because of a health issue. Also the first time since 2008 that I haven't won at least one race in a season. I am seriously concidering cutting WAY back next year and try to finnish the Daytona that I started many years ago. Seeing so many of you racing well into your 60's and 70's might just let me think that I can!

Brian

Attached picture 7920687-MVC-008S.JPG
Posted By: 383man

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/12/13 01:08 AM

I am 57 and have some health problems from my back , knees and other joints. In fact I use a cane to help me but when I can afford it and feel up to it I want to race. Course I only race a few times a year at mostly T & T's. Same with working on my car as all my life I have done all my own work on my car and still do but only if I feel up to it. But I plan to go to the track as long as I can. When I went racing a few weeks ago I had a blast. Course I dont race every weekend. Ron
Posted By: pinkduster

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/12/13 01:17 AM

Just spoke to a local Mopar racer this weekend that I have known of for years. Asked him how old he was and his response was SEVENTY! I couldn't believe it. Thought he might be like 60 or 62. I think he was racing TWO vehicles at Mopars at the grove this summer! He was heading to Englishtown to race yesterday. So people are still doin' it in their 70s. Me... 44 and I only race a couple times a year. Too much other stuff in my life.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/12/13 01:42 AM

I'm almost there, 59. Thank the Lord my health is good. I'm having a blast. I had a pretty decent year driving wise. My lights were as good as they've ever been. Can't wait until it gets warm and get back out.
Doug
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/12/13 03:43 AM

I am having fun racing and I am 62. This car was sidelined since 1981, and this was the first year back to the strip.
I hope you do better than that!
There is more time now as my kids are grown up Being there with friends and family makes it great!

Mark

Attached picture 7920967-1175515_434255880025923_8482315_n.jpg
Posted By: reknapp52

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/12/13 03:44 AM

I will be 62 in Jan. and will be retired from my 42 years in the IBEW. Hope to be able to make a few more races than I have while I've been working--still chasing that elusive NHRA Super Gas wally.

Attached picture 7920968-LebaronatTexasLODRS.jpg
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/12/13 05:58 AM

If I was you I would keep the car on the street and keep it enjoyable. There pretty fun if you can jump in it and go pick a kid up on a nice day. Plus it makes for a car you can drive back and forth to the track if you get the bug to make a pass. That red Belvidere of Ron's is the best of both worlds.
ET and MPH are Based on $$. Not everyone can run 4's with John force, but I try to have more fun then him
I was not being rude to brad just asking an honest question.
Six years since not making a lap is a pretty long time but now that he explained his situation better and i know that he knows what it takes to run a series, it was the info I needed to give him my opinion. If he said he was at the track every weekend this summer my response would have been diffrent. LoL
Posted By: superwrench

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/12/13 06:05 AM

62 tomorrow for me!!! Like others, it takes a LOT longer to get stuff done on the car amongst other things, but being retired helps!!!
Still have no urge to hang up the race helmet yet. Too much fun beatin' the young bucks!!!!
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/12/13 06:06 AM

Quote:

Don't laugh, but I'm 54 now and progress on my Challenger moves at a slower-than-Grandma pace due to family commitments w/ the three kids (5, 9 & 12), etc.

How many of you people are still (or intend to remain) active in drag racing when the rest of the world classifies you as a "senior citizen?"

Thanks!
Brad

I just can't imagine raising kids when the rest of the world classifies you as a "senior citizen"! I just turned 49, and the kids are 27, 25, and 24! The 5 year old grandson wears me out on a part time basis though.

I find myself wanting to do more with the cars than just drag race them these days, but I think a ten second pass will still be fun as long as I'm breathing.
Posted By: Palindrome Cuda

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/12/13 11:57 AM

Looking at 60 in the rear view mirror. Still having a blast racing, it helps when you have the whole family loving racing and cars in general.It also helps when you have a young buck sneaking in your drivers seat from time to time. I said years ago that I wasn't going to grow up,because I knew some adults and they are just no fun. Mike
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/12/13 02:06 PM

I turn 64 in Jan and don't see an end to racing, provided health and money are there. With some of the health issues it is tough to get things done with any speed, but hey, I'm retired. I only get out a few times a year, but when the adrenalin rush is enough (literally!) to keep the aches and pains at bay for two or three days, its' worth it! Not to mention I have some data to pour over for a long time.
When Leigh finally got his car out that fired me up again big time. I didn't make it out this year for lack of funds, but saved a couple of nickels for 2014.
The other big inspiration is the Golden Greek. When a guy can qualify his Top fueler in his Eighties, I figure there is hope for me too. So make a plan, and get back out there doing what is your passion
Some folks live a life of quiet desperation, don't become one of them
Posted By: chryco

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/12/13 02:09 PM

Yikes ! Almost there ! 55 I`m slowing down , but still fun !

Posted By: John_T_Brown

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/12/13 02:25 PM

Yes it’s still fun, and I’m six years past that mythical deadline. The only reason I’ll quit is because I’ve ran out of money or I’m dead.
Posted By: 67RT_MUSCLE

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/12/13 03:08 PM

started racing in 1969 im still racing today
and just rebuilt motor and trans 4 months ago
in my street car gtx
just pulled the motor out of duster last week
for freshen up its already apart
been through 2 kidney transplants but as long
as I fell good ill be doing it my son and grandson
help its in my blood.
always mopar since 1969

Attached picture 7921351-photo.JPG
Posted By: wyoming

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/12/13 04:03 PM

yep, still fun, allways was, expect it allways will be

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/12/13 04:10 PM

No wonder those kids laugh at us for talking about purple shaft cams, 906 heads, and pop-up pistons. But lets see if they are still around the sport as long as we have and still enjoy it as much as we do.
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/12/13 08:15 PM

I'm over sixty and it's still fun.

The work isn't near as much fun, but going down the track is still a blast.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/12/13 11:21 PM

Its quite interesting that in the class I race weekly at my local track ( Street Eliminator) the majority of the racers are over 60 and a few over seventy. Most of close racing friends, mentors and associates are my age ( 59 ) close to it or older with a few young guys being the exception.
Posted By: FastOne

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/13/13 12:17 AM

I'll be 18 until I die
Posted By: old_racer

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/13/13 12:27 AM

Just turned 60 this summer, I think it's just as much fun now as in the past, A good friend I race with is 70+ an tells me somedays he wonders why he does it yet, then he gets in the car and fires it up an says he feels like a kid again!!!
Posted By: Rumblefish68

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/13/13 01:10 AM

Hey Russ and Doug (Heyyy Buddddyyy ) I didn't realize We were the same age ( or will be in a couple weeks ) Do I look that that bad, or do you guys look that good?

Jay
Posted By: dvw

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/13/13 04:26 AM

Quote:

Hey Russ and Doug (Heyyy Buddddyyy ) I didn't realize We were the same age ( or will be in a couple weeks ) Do I look that that bad, or do you guys look that good?

Jay

I dye my hair grey so I don't get carded.
LOL
Doug
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/13/13 05:03 AM

My two teammates are 75 and 81. They have more fun than the younger guys half the time.
Posted By: BigJim

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/13/13 07:24 AM

Well I am long past 60 (just turned 69) and I am prepping my old 37 Gasser Coupe for racing after Christmas.
We lost both of out quarter mile tracks in Phoenix last year, but supposed to have a new one on the Indian Reservation running by this December.
I plan on racing as long as my health holds up!!!
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/13/13 05:42 PM

me to 62 love it working on it is harder and money is tight but think I'll have a 574 in it some time next summer! :-)

And still quick enough to catch it when it wants to turn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgbIQcgEwes

and hear after off and back on too soon so it kept going right and off again. so I still feel good wish I had more money?? :-) Have to stop playing with things.

last run in october

Fastest run of the year
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSNegb03q0A

so i think so on life after 60
Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/13/13 08:16 PM

62 here and still racing the Hemi A body. When I think I am too old to race that, I will get out the old Chrysler Powered Willys that I started with , when I was 15, and race till I can't get into the drivers seat.

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/13/13 09:40 PM

Quote:

If I was you I would keep the car on the street and keep it enjoyable. There pretty fun if you can jump in it and go pick a kid up on a nice day. Plus it makes for a car you can drive back and forth to the track if you get the bug to make a pass. That red Belvidere of Ron's is the best of both worlds.

FWIW, that's the way my Challenger's always been, i.e. a street/strip car driven to & from the track.

Crap... I said I wasn't going to post anything again until my junk was running.

New(est) plan of attack: Have The MoPig running again by May 2014, when I turn 55 on the 14th.

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/13/13 10:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

FWIW, that's the way my Challenger's always been, i.e. a street/strip car driven to & from the track.

Crap... I said I wasn't going to post anything again until my junk was running.

New(est) plan of attack: Have The MoPig running again by May 2014, when I turn 55 on the 14th.

Now that sounds like a plan. Now get busy.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/14/13 01:01 AM

Just turned 103 and I still love it ....oh wait...I'm 48(don't look a day over 25) and I feel 103... .....Need more of these pics before I quit too. I'm on a real bad streak...probably be 60 before I win another race anyway.

Attached picture 7923182-empirewin.jpg
Posted By: Barnstorm

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/14/13 01:52 AM

Ran mid 9's on my 69th Birthday and went 4 rounds. Fried a headgasket and it took me twice as long to pull the heads than 10 yrs ago. Which way do these hedders go?? Keeps me out of the grave.
Posted By: babarracuda

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/14/13 02:27 AM

Racing is still fun at 72. Working on the car with my broken body is not. I go out once or twice a year just to feel the G's. Probably will quit in the next year. Aging is not for sissies! With so little seat time, cuting a lite is just luck. No substitute for seat time!!!

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/14/13 03:22 AM

Here's me last year.

Attached picture 7923368-Myoldduster005.JPG

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/14/13 03:23 AM

Quote:

Here's me last year.

I mean 37 or 38 years ago.
Posted By: Bob_Spelic

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/14/13 10:11 PM

I’m 61. This year is the first year I have not been to the track a least 2 times per week for the past 8 years. I raced when I was 16 through about 18 years old then got married and had kids and no $ for racing. After the kids moved out, the wife passed, I picked it back up again and love it. I will race as long as the $ and body holds out. For me, switching to a dragster has made working on the car a lot easier.

A broken engine and lack of funds to fix it held me back this season. I hope to be back and racing the weekly points races at Pittsburgh Raceway Park in 2014..

Attached picture 7924247-unertakeratPRP.jpg
Posted By: Hemi Joe

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/17/13 06:44 PM

I turned 70 this past August and still love drag racing, primarily due to the people that we race with and the real friends that we have made! It takes you a lot longer to load the trailer and do most things to the car, however, my son Kevin has stepped up and does just about everything that I need done.
I hope to continue to race as long as I can, hopefully get a good light now and then and try to do everything right like my "Crew Chief" and loving wife told me to do before she passed this last July from pancreatic cancer.
It was her orders that I continue to race, so that is what I will attempt to do in her memory! HEMI JOE - Endangered Species Racing
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Will drag racing still be fun when I'm 60??? - 11/18/13 12:15 AM

I ran into a bracket racer at Wodburn two years ago that had bought a motor from one of my engine customers in SO CA that I built ten or more years ago, that motor was a 426 Street wedge with a bunch of problems, I treid to talk the original customer into building a better motor but he wanted that block and heads with a stroker crank in it Long story short the new guy is wining races with it and having a ball, I got to upgrade the heads, intake and cam last winter also He is 73 now and started drag racing when he was 70 or 71 yrs. old, he has always been a car guy. He got the bug to go fast several years ago and bought two junky (according to him)1965 Plymouth Belevderes 1 two door sedans and made one car out of the two. He brings a older freind of his who is a car guy also to the races, I have heard him tell his other freinds when he first went to the drags up here all he saw was a bunch of old guys drag racing and having a blast doing it I walked away in 1988 and basically quit NHRA drag racing, sold my stocker and bracket car and took up flyimg I made myself a promise that I would never drag race again unless I was having fun,I hadn't won a race in four years back then and was hating myself at the races It is still fun now but I'm not racing as hard or as often as I use to, mostly bracket racing locally and test and tuning to learn more about how to make more power and go faster
© 2024 Moparts Forums