Moparts

Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all"

Posted By: W5DART66

Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/23/13 12:57 AM

Hope it is ok Brian

His kick a$$ dart went 5.35 at 129mph Saturday.

This car is over 2800lbs has my smaller port w8s and what I would call fast bracket cam.

Air was killer but that is still fast NA small block mopar (417Ci)

Hope to get better intake on it yet

Thanks for your hard work Brian
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/23/13 02:35 AM

That car is killer for sure. Wish mine was half as fast as that thing.
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/23/13 03:24 AM

Awesome for sure and NA smallblock to boot

Russ
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/23/13 04:50 AM

Man, Bri...great work. Combo is working really well. Congrats. Hope to see ya next time you come up . Try to get the Dart up here next year.
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/23/13 05:23 AM

Thanks Brett. It's been really good since put back together. People can't even believe how small this cam is and the intake has to be choking it.

Really trying to decide what to do with it for next year. I have been thinking big, big wedge. But I guess I'm a small block guy and am intrigued by how quick I can make it and keep the small block. Might just have to do a new top end with the "big" port and a sheet metal intake and a cam to match. Maybe get the compression back up. Maybe go dry sump? If I do it, it will be a max effort this time.

I still like the guys that shake their heads when walking away after looking my car over for the "bottle" and not finding one. I'm normally in the top 2 N/A door cars at any track I go to and that is at any weight.

Still hoping for a pair of wins to finish out this year.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/23/13 06:00 AM

I know that guy ..

not only is that car fast but, the build quality is unbelievable ..

I parked my 64 next to his and was ashamed of mine

And Brian and his wife are great people ..

Brian is in my circle of trust

Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/23/13 06:06 AM

Haulin the mail..Congrats!

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/23/13 02:05 PM

Quote:

I know that guy ..

not only is that car fast but, the build quality is unbelievable ..

I parked my 64 next to his and was ashamed of mine

And Brian and his wife are great people ..

Brian is in my circle of trust

Thanks Daryl, but that '64 is a work of art and no way my Dart was any nicer. Let me know if you ever make it back down this way and we will go out for a few "beverages" again.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/23/13 02:14 PM

Very nice numbers for sure Brian
Be interesting to see what that car will do with just a few mods
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/23/13 02:36 PM

Freakin awesome,5.30's is what 1/2 the potato chip mustangs run on spray w there so called 23* heads! Great job.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/23/13 04:04 PM

that is BAD A$$ Brian!!!!!!!!

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/23/13 04:34 PM

So, I ask this to Brett.....Is there a chance at 5.0's with a max effort N/A SB build based around your current "big" port at 417 CID and still be a reliable bracket car? And I'm trimming weight again this winter....should be around 2740 race weight.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/23/13 05:04 PM

Amazing!
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/23/13 05:56 PM

Put a cam in that thing!

Awesome power you got there Brian!
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/23/13 06:38 PM

Quote:

So, I ask this to Brett.....Is there a chance at 5.0's with a max effort N/A SB build based around your current "big" port at 417 CID and still be a reliable bracket car? And I'm trimming weight again this winter....should be around 2740 race weight.

Great job....the car is flying.

"Max effort" and reliable bracket car are usually not found in the same sentence. Although if you get that car down in the 2700# range, a truely max effort W8 with a sheet, 2 x 4 and all the other ingredients will go well past 1000hp.

Might need a Proflite to run in the 5.0 range though....that is fast for an N/A straight headed smallblock at that weight, but I think Paul Ricci has run 8ohs at E-Town around 2800#.

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/23/13 06:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

"Max effort" and reliable bracket car are usually not found in the same sentence. Although if you get that car down in the 2700# range, a truely max effort W8 with a sheet, 2 x 4 and all the other ingredients will go well past 1000hp.

Might need a Proflite to run in the 5.0 range though....that is fast for an N/A straight headed smallblock at that weight, but I think Paul Ricci has run 8ohs at E-Town around 2800#.

I'm sure there are quicker out there, but parts to parts I think we are doing very well. These are 17 year old heads with a modern port and small cam, single 4bbl, small cast intake (and not the "good" one).

You are right Jim, reliable and max effort are different things which is why I'm torn over putting a big wedge in this or making this combo quicker at the cost of reliability.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/23/13 06:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Great job....the car is flying. I have erred on the side of reliability and let the car run what it runs, thats probably why mine don't run as well as others with a very similar combo but it's still together after 5 years of beating on it.

I'm sure there are quicker out there, but parts to parts I think we are doing very well. These are 17 year old heads with a modern port and small cam, single 4bbl, small cast intake (and not the "good" one).

You are right Jim, reliable and max effort are different things which is why I'm torn over putting a big wedge in this or making this combo quicker at the cost of reliability.

Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/23/13 11:13 PM

Quote:

3.1/2 tenths in the 1/8 at your speed is a bunch. would love to see your car stay a small block for ever.5.30s you could run hot street or N/A CHECK THIS OUT brian http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...bvm=bv.55123115,d.cGE
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/24/13 12:34 AM

Hauling the mail for sure.

I would have to do some digging but those numbers as good or better that Tim Davis was doing back in NSCA Hot street in 05'. Tim had the better intake. Set the NHRA record in B super modified. He also did a ton of developing and testing.

I was very displeased with my NA numbers 5.69 with a 2,950 race weight and a glide. Felt there was better numbers in the car like 5.40's. The 60 ft with the glide just would not cooperate.

What transmission are you running Brian?
I would assume a Torqflite. Inquiring minds want to know.

Leon

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/24/13 12:37 AM

It has a glide in it and converter tic tight. It would be faster with 3speed.
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/24/13 12:38 AM

That's killer forsure

You could have won 10.5 shootout at Monster Mopar with no power adder

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/24/13 12:45 AM

Quote:

I can't Promise anything but I would work my a$$ off for you.

I can send big port to HRE and get manifold started :-)

1.00" of cam 9500 RPM springs 30-50 passes

I think we can make 100-150 more HP
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/24/13 12:47 AM

I need your diet tips Bri,keeping the car the way it looks and being the weight it is...is very hard.

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/24/13 12:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Very impressive combination indeed.

There is something to say for a straight headed smallblock MOPAR with a discontinued cylinder head kicking butt. Drop some weight, puff the engine up and let err' rip.

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/24/13 01:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This.....
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/24/13 01:49 AM

Great job Brian . I haven't seen the car in several years, if it's still as nice as it was when I last saw it, that car is a piece of art.

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/24/13 02:07 AM

Maybe we need for sale add in race parts for killer w8 top end package to offset upgrade deal.

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/24/13 02:08 AM

Impressive to post those numbers with a glide. Most have some good torque numbers.

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/24/13 04:00 AM

Quote:

Hauling the mail for sure.

I would have to do some digging but those numbers as good or better that Tim Davis was doing back in NSCA Hot street in 05'. Tim had the better intake. Set the NHRA record in B super modified. He also did a ton of developing and testing.

I was very displeased with my NA numbers 5.69 with a 2,950 race weight and a glide. Felt there was better numbers in the car like 5.40's. The 60 ft with the glide just would not cooperate.

What transmission are you running Brian?
I would assume a Torqflite. Inquiring minds want to know.

Leon

It has an ATI cased glide with an ATI 8" converter. It goes just a tick under 6K RPM.....wish it was a tad looser. Just didn't want to send it in as the car is doing as much or more than expected.

I'm sure it would be quicker with a 3 speed, but consistency has been stellar and predictable.

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/24/13 04:06 AM

Quote:

Maybe we need for sale add in race parts for killer w8 top end package to offset upgrade deal.

I would have to. I still have a non income producing home I can't seem to sell....going on 2 years now. It's really cutting into my racing budget.

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/24/13 04:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Add the 3 speed transmission and it would sound like a Comp Eliminator car then.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/24/13 04:56 AM

You know, was just thinking. That bad butt smallblock Dart of yours with that bracket cam could put on 400 pounds and still be able to run right in the pack with trick Hemi SS/AH cars.
You should be ultra proud of your efforts. Stout piece
Posted By: mafo

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/24/13 07:37 AM

I wish I could figure out how you get your 60 ft and 1/8 numbers
Posted By: BigDog68Dart

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/24/13 12:36 PM

Brian is chasing his Dad, sounds like I should start running instead of walking! Good job son! Brian also built my chassie as well fyi

Attached picture 7898686-mmw@norwalk.jpg

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/24/13 09:09 PM

My tranny guy is trying to get me to go ATI. I think there may be something to that. I borrowed an 8" converter that 60 ft'd much better than the custom pieces I had. Always felt that if I had a smaller tire and could control wheelspeed I could actually 60 ft better. My 32X14.5 tires are much slower than the 31X10.5 tires.

Your 60 ft is exactly .1 better than my best with the W8 motor I had. That alone would have brought my ET into the 5.5's. Knew where I was coming up short just did not know what to do about it. LOL. My dyno numbers started at 6,900. We thought peak torque was at 7,100 going by the dyno sheet. Where is your peak torque at if you don't mind telling? Your MPH is proving the power you are making.

Leon
Posted By: G-Money1320

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/24/13 11:55 PM

Super results there Brian Not only quick but a very nice car overall!! If you ever decide to go the mega big block route, I know a certain little blue Dart that ole small block will drop in Take care!!

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/25/13 02:11 AM

Brian

How much do you think the car would pickup with a toilet and Alky?
I ask because I know a guy with smallblock who saw about 2.5 tenths difference going from race gas to the injected Alky swap.
This was a car that went mid 9's before the swap, not as fast as yours but a very nice gain none the less. 450ish inch Indy head motor, btw

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/25/13 02:23 AM

Quote:

Brian

I ask because I know a guy with smallblock who saw about 2.5 tenths difference going from race gas to the injected Alky swap.
This was a car that went mid 9's before the swap, not as fast as yours but a very nice gain none the less. 450ish inch Indy head motor, btw

That's a good gain.....around 60hp, probably.

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/25/13 02:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Brian

That's a good gain.....around 60hp, probably. [/

Yep... For a short while he considered going back to gas, and
I loaned him the 1100 dominator off my 422 W5 motor. He used it one weekend and lost 3 tenths with my carb and swapped back again.That was the end of that experiment quickly.
So basically going from the carb he used to Alky and toilet he gained 2.5 tenths. Going back to gas using my carb( which obviously was off a little he lost 3 tenths.... So my. carb was half a tenth worse than the carb he had originally had on his car.
He did this because the car became Inconsistant on the starting line spinning sometimes because of the extra torque with the Alky over gas.
He ultimately sorted the chassis out. Car runs 9.20 now with the small block Indy heads and Alky. Think it went 9.22 at Norwalk, if not a hair better
Posted By: 383man

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/25/13 03:26 AM

Congrats with that awesome running smallblock. Ron

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/25/13 03:42 AM

Quote:

My tranny guy is trying to get me to go ATI. I think there may be something to that. I borrowed an 8" converter that 60 ft'd much better than the custom pieces I had. Always felt that if I had a smaller tire and could control wheelspeed I could actually 60 ft better. My 32X14.5 tires are much slower than the 31X10.5 tires.

Your 60 ft is exactly .1 better than my best with the W8 motor I had. That alone would have brought my ET into the 5.5's. Knew where I was coming up short just did not know what to do about it. LOL. My dyno numbers started at 6,900. We thought peak torque was at 7,100 going by the dyno sheet. Where is your peak torque at if you don't mind telling? Your MPH is proving the power you are making.

Leon

I think mine could be even quicker on a 29.5 X 10.5. I didn't dyno anything so I'm not sure where it makes peak torque, but I suspect it is in the 6800 rpm range.

Lots of track time to chip away at the 60'.

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/25/13 03:46 AM

Quote:

Brian

Not sure it would pick up at all in great air. Would probably be .15 or so quicker in the heat of Summer though.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/25/13 03:53 AM

What fuel are you running it on?

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/25/13 04:28 AM

Quote:

It's on C14. Thought about giving the Q16 another shot. Everyone but me has made more power with it.
Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/25/13 06:46 AM

I finally got to see this beast run. It's stupid fast! I love seeing the folks come around and their jaws drop when they see the SB in between the fenders. Priceless.

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/25/13 06:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It's on C14. Thought about giving the Q16 another shot. Everyone but me has made more power with it.

Ours made about 10 more over C-14 on the dyno with C-25.

We're pour just a tick under 14-1 and only spun it to 8500, which was 300 past peak.

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/25/13 01:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We're pour just a tick under 14-1 and only spun it to 8500, which was 300 past peak.

This engine started at 16.2:1, but is now closer to 14:1 after Brett fixed the poor chamber work by the previous builder and having to sink the valves some to fix the crappy valve job from the previous builder.

I have never run C25...I believe peak HP on mine to be around 8100.

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/25/13 01:16 PM

Quote:

Man, Bri...great work. Combo is working really well. Congrats. Hope to see ya next time you come up . Try to get the Dart up here next year.

I need to get with you about a new wire set also.

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/25/13 07:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This engine started at 16.2:1, but is now closer to 14:1 after Brett fixed the poor chamber work by the previous builder and having to sink the valves some to fix the crappy valve job from the previous builder.

I just checked my notes from the dyno. C-25 was worth 12 numbers over C-14, with a 894hp peak @8200.

Might wanna give it a shot....

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/25/13 07:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I just checked my notes from the dyno. C-25 was worth 12 numbers over C-14, with a 894hp peak @8200.

Do you have any jetting notes between the two fuels on the dyno?

Re: Just a thanks to Brian Smith for getting it "all" - 10/26/13 12:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Do you have any jetting notes between the two fuels on the dyno?

90 square w/C-25.....88 square w/C-14.

This is a 110 blade SV-1.
© 2024 Moparts Forums