Moparts

Gauge mounting question

Posted By: ProSport

Gauge mounting question - 10/22/13 03:03 AM

I would like to make a gauge cluster for my car out of 1/4" thick wood, plastic, or plexiglass, it will be wrapped in carbon fiber vinyl when finished. Should I use a 3 3/8" hole-saw for a 3 3/8" gauge or should I use a smaller hole-saw and file it? The tachometer is 3 3/8" and my other gauges are 2 1/16".

I'm not using metal or aluminum simply because I don't have any tools to cut nice circles in them.
There are companies that make nice housings but they are way out of my price range(photo attached).

Attached picture 7895985-71-76DusterBAPH.jpg
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Gauge mounting question - 10/22/13 03:23 AM

A good quality hole saw for metal will give you good results if you would prefer a metal panel. I would mount the panel to some 3/4" plywood as a backing before I drilled the holes so the panel doesn't deflect and distort the holes while drilling. Use the 3 3/8 and 2 1/16. Drill press recommended no matter what material you choose.

Kevin

Re: Gauge mounting question - 10/22/13 04:07 AM

Thanks, sounds easy enough.
Posted By: Forest

Re: Gauge mounting question - 10/22/13 01:57 PM

http://www.redlinegaugeworks.com/products.asp
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Gauge mounting question - 10/23/13 12:36 AM

Quote:

http://www.redlinegaugeworks.com/products.asp

^^^this^^^.

I have used a couple of these and they are GREAT. Perfect fit and the redline guys are super to deal with.

Re: Gauge mounting question - 10/23/13 02:11 AM

I just spent 2 days making mine and now you post that lol, those are nice! Pretty affordable and you can arrange the gauges however you want them.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Gauge mounting question - 10/23/13 03:47 AM

Quote:

I just spent 2 days making mine and now you post that lol, those are nice! Pretty affordable and you can arrange the gauges however you want them.

Ruht roh, Bob!

I see they're still $100. Same as the first one I bought...in 2004!

Re: Gauge mounting question - 10/23/13 02:13 PM

Nice, might have to pick one up.
© 2024 Moparts Forums