Moparts

Mounting lexan....

Posted By: slantzilla

Mounting lexan.... - 10/11/13 10:54 AM

Screws or pop rivets?

Thanks!
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Mounting lexan.... - 10/11/13 11:01 AM

I used counter sunk allen bolts and beveled the holes in the lexan and used nyloc nuts to be able to pull the front and rear windows up against a foam seal with very little tension or distortion of the lexan. this kept mine from cracking. Same for the side windows, for convenience.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Mounting lexan.... - 10/11/13 02:19 PM

whitch ever you use make sure your holes are a little larger than your fastener to allow for expansion and contraction with out cracking.
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Mounting lexan.... - 10/11/13 04:02 PM

Quote:

Screws or pop rivets?

Thanks!

Dennis years ago Dave & I did the rear with rivets. This last time we did the front we used countersunk bolts & nylocs. It's easier for removal & controlling the tightness of the fasteners! Looks nice too.
I have seen it with button heads also, whatever you prefer.

We used plasticcoat black paint for plastic around the edges, looks more professional.

If you want do a search on mounting lexan, Mr P had a lot of good tips.
Don

Attached picture 7883947-DSC00074.JPG
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Mounting lexan.... - 10/11/13 04:53 PM

Thanks guys!

I like the countersunk bolt idea, but I'm afraid there are some area I can't get to the backside to put nuts on.

I have some nice stainless screws with large round heads that just might do the trick. It will look a lot nicer than the hex head sheet metal screws that were in there.

Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Mounting lexan.... - 10/11/13 05:06 PM

Pop rivets would crack the lexan. Be sure to use nylon locking nut's, because you can't tighten them totally because it'll crack the lexan. Must leave them slightly loose so it can move with the car to keep from cracking. Lock nuts so they don't wind up on the track.
Posted By: BJS racing

Re: Mounting lexan.... - 10/11/13 05:23 PM

Duck tape and elmers glue!

I have always used the counter sunk screws. And a very big yes to leaving them a little loose as to not crack the lexan.
© 2024 Moparts Forums