Moparts

Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good?

Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/01/13 11:22 PM

Looking at a fiberglass hood for my challenger. Are the Unlimited products any good?
How is the service?
Do they ship the parts when you pay for them or is it a 6 month waiting game?
thanks
Jerry
Posted By: IcorkSOAK

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/01/13 11:35 PM

Least BESTest product ...in the world ...
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/01/13 11:57 PM

What doc is trying to tell you is Unlimited Sucks. They have a poor reputation for quality.

Look At these companies for a quality product:
http://glasstek.com/
http://www.aarqualityfiberglass.com/cart/index.php?cPath=188
Posted By: topside

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/01/13 11:59 PM

Last time I looked, which to be fair was several years ago, their stuff was horrible.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 12:23 AM

The company is under ownership/management and has been for a couple of years. The quality is actually pretty good for the pieces we have bought, that being a hood and scoop. Price was very good as well. Just updating some who likely were not aware of the new people there.

Here is their website.
http://www.up22.com/
Posted By: BobR

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 12:27 AM

Quote:

The company is under ownership/management and has been for a couple of years. The quality is actually pretty good for the pieces we have bought, that being a hood and scoop. Price was very good as well. Just updating some who likely were not aware of the new people there.

Here is their website.

Don't know about now but several years ago I bought two pieces of their junk for a 68 Camaro I was restomodding. I just threw them both into the trash. It was almost a joke.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 12:32 AM

I hear all of you trust me. Just saying it is a new venture now and from what I have seen and heard from those who have used the stuff has been positive.

Bob, they are not far from Jason's shop, maybe if you are in the area might be worth a look see.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 12:46 AM

Quote:

Here is their website.

Thumperdart hooked me up for my new tunnel ram hood and scoop, it looks as good as any of the Fibreglas Trend parts I have bought and used in the past before Fibreglas Trends closed up. It needed a tiny bit of prep before painting, not like they where years ago.
Posted By: go green

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 12:47 AM

Would of been a better idea to change the name with the new management , they have a pretty bad rep to overcome .

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 12:58 AM

Quote:

Would of been a better idea to change the name with the new management , they have a pretty bad rep to overcome .

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 01:19 AM

Quality of product can be improved in and during the manufacturing process but if they are using the same molds that they have been .... There is no hope for that ....
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 02:03 AM

Thanks for the info. That is the place I looked up on line.
Posted By: Mopar_Ray

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 02:06 AM

Glasstek hood, required no work, scuff, prime and paint

Posted By: megajoltman

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 02:12 AM

Quote:

Quality of product can be improved in and during the manufacturing process but if they are using the same molds that they have been .... There is no hope for that ....

Totally on the mark there.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 02:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

considering the original source of that quote I'd take it with a grain of salt..... he77 alot of salt and a shot of tequila. I'll be ordering my Duster bumper from them.

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 03:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

considering the original source of that quote I'd take it with a grain of salt..... he77 alot of salt and a shot of tequila. I'll be ordering my Duster bumper from them.

Ahhhh J booby ....and I thought you had me blocked ...I guess I am living in your head toooooo ... Rent free! ...... you wouldn't know a quality part if it boinked you atop your head !!
Posted By: loaderpro

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 04:27 AM

I Just did a 74 Duster for a customer with hood, scoop, decklid and bumpers. The stuff was spot on...And yes, you order/pay and they build, they do not stock much in the way of body parts.

Attached picture 7873106-Waydes74.jpg
Posted By: B1CUDA

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 05:33 AM

Unlimited may still have the same name, but, the new ownership and new products are FAR superior to the old stuff that was produced years ago. (I had a bad dealing with the old regime as well) Unlimited has their parts on everything from street cars to 5 second Pro Mods. Use their stuff with confidence.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 05:57 AM

Bought a hood for my 71 demon 2 years ago and along with front bumper.....and bought front and rear bumpers for 71 Dart a few years ago....no problems..

also bought hinged bolt on rear deck lid for Demon...

Attached picture 7873191-100_2930.JPG

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 05:58 AM

Bought a hood for a 71 Duster in May of this year...again no problem..

Attached picture 7873192-IMG_0833.JPG

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 05:59 AM

71 Duster.

Attached picture 7873194-IMG_0849.JPG
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 06:18 AM

Quote:

Unlimited may still have the same name, but, the new ownership and new products are FAR superior to the old stuff that was produced years ago. (I had a bad dealing with the old regime as well) Unlimited has their parts on everything from street cars to 5 second Pro Mods. Use their stuff with confidence.

Thankxxxx Chris............yes the rap was and still is bad to some but Kevin is now runnin the show and trying to make a difference and my stuff has been real good. PERFECT no but perfection has a price tag and some of the so callecd "perfect" stuff has been far from.............
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 09:07 AM

Stuff I bought in pas was terrible along with customer service. I agree should have been a name change.

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 04:28 PM

The bottom line is this ... if you have good molds, good people actually making the parts ....quality parts should be coming out of said molds. Making good quality fiberglass parts is NOT rocket science. Is Unlimited capable of producing a quality product ? ... I am sure they are. But will they ? ... that is up to the owners and management of the company.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 05:14 PM

I got a ta style scoop from them a few months back. They had to make it, as it wasn't on the shelf. Called for an update after a week and a few days later it shipped. They called and let me know it went out. I don't work with a ton of fiberglass, but in my opinion it was a nice piece and needed very little to finish. They get a from me.

Attached picture 7873512-chalhood.jpg

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 06:08 PM

Quote:

I got a ta style scoop from them a few months back. They had to make it, as it wasn't on the shelf. Called for an update after a week and a few days later it shipped. They called and let me know it went out. I don't work with a ton of fiberglass, but in my opinion it was a nice piece and needed very little to finish. They get a from me.

The first piece I saw years ago ( Mid 1980s) from Unlimited was a T/A hood like yours, it was HORRIBLE They must have replaced all of thier molds when it changed owners My hoods is nice, I may end up buying another hood with a SS style hemi scoop on it this winter so I can see around it

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 06:13 PM

I have a steel hood with just the scoop molded on it. So can't speak for the whole hoods. But the scoop fit the contours almost perfect... had to sand a little for the raised front section.

Worst I ever used was from mas, but couldn't expect much from a hood with scoop that cost me under 200

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 09:10 PM

Quote:

some of the so callecd "perfect" stuff has been far from.............

...I missed this little JAB ... then was not going to respond uNtil I got a few emails about what you insinuated ....

And you KNOW THIS how ? ... I am not the one that SAID THAT(my stuff was "perfect") and I will admit that many parts were not "perfect" at all. But they were A LOT better than what UNLIMITED has produced in the past. The things that UNLIMITED would do would many times make the parts UNusable. Mine ? .... would be a seam where the mold was multi-piece made so the part could be made. OR something that could be quick-hit with a DA ... during the priming/painting process.

But UNLIMITED ? ... a finished part full of air bubbles, pulling parts from a warped mold, a mold that was too narrow, bracing under the part that was far from what is needed ....and I could go on. And then there was shipping damage caused by horrible packaging.

AGAIN I say ... are they capable of producing good parts ? ... I would hope so. But will they ?
Posted By: racerx

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 09:47 PM

Quote:

x2 on the T/A hood i had one(bolt on)that was pretty nice back in the day,but i needed the hood clearance so i had to order one of the 5" T/A hoods from VFN all is good
Posted By: jcc

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/02/13 10:10 PM

Quote:

Stuff I bought in pas was terrible along with customer service. I agree should have been a name change.

"Very Limited Products out of Fiberglass Sooner or later"

But if they have turned it around, good for them, but boy, what an uphill climb.

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/03/13 02:53 AM

Quote:

AGAIN I say ... are they capable of producing good parts ? ... I would hope so. But will they ?

As someone who does body/paint work daily, far from a fiberglass expert though, I can say the part I got was a good part. No air bubbles, not flimsy and so on. Did I get lucky? Maybe I bought a hood from a guy that does viper hoods in PA, us exotics or something like that... nicest glass I ever worked with. This was a close second though.

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/03/13 05:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

some of the so callecd "perfect" stuff has been far from.............

...I missed this little JAB ... then was not going to respond uNtil I got a few emails about what you insinuated ....

And you KNOW THIS how ? ... I am not the one that SAID THAT(my stuff was "perfect") and I will admit that many parts were not "perfect" at all. But they were A LOT better than what UNLIMITED has produced in the past. The things that UNLIMITED would do would many times make the parts UNusable. Mine ? .... would be a seam where the mold was multi-piece made so the part could be made. OR something that could be quick-hit with a DA ... during the priming/painting process.

But UNLIMITED ? ... a finished part full of air bubbles, pulling parts from a warped mold, a mold that was too narrow, bracing under the part that was far from what is needed ....and I could go on. And then there was shipping damage caused by horrible packaging.

Wow, did someone get their panties in a bunch? I wasn`t even talking to or about you............... Which of your little girlfriends called you telling you I was insulting you? Come foreward kiddies...........like mentioned on the bullet "we need a cage so we can really get things settled around here"...........you guys r 2 much.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/03/13 05:13 PM

I've gotten a few hoods (bolt-on style) along with some fenders (bolt-on style) all for Mopars, very happy with the service, timely delivery, and the parts need no more work than factory steel parts to block straight for paint

Mike
Posted By: unlimitedkevin

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/03/13 06:31 PM

hi guys kevin form unlimited ....here

thanks for all the kind words .and the bad ones ive been with unlimited now for two years and yes its been ruff !!! I can say I have changed a lot of stuff around here for the better. I still have some parts that are bad. but ive re tooled a lot of them.
if I can help any way call me. you have my word you will get a good product at 10% off

Thanks Kevin

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/03/13 06:40 PM

Damn!
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/03/13 06:50 PM

Always nice to see vendors here, and great to hear that quality is much better than in the past.

I was going to order a new hood this winter anyway. So I'll order a hood from them and report back with my findings.

Trying to lighten the ol' girl up a touch.
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/04/13 01:42 AM

Quote:

thanks for all the kind words .and the bad ones ive been with unlimited now for two years and yes its been ruff !!! I can say I have changed a lot of stuff around here for the better. I still have some parts that are bad. but ive re tooled a lot of them.
if I can help any way call me. you have my word you will get a good product at 10% off

Thank you Kevin for the 10%. I'll talk to ya about a hood & deck lid at the NMCA Famoso race later this month.

Edit: also thanks for supporting us with contingency on Unlimited Products.
Posted By: mshred

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/04/13 02:40 AM

I was going to be ordering in the next little bit for my scamp from them after hearing how well they turned themselves around from some here and over on the bullet...at a 10% off, that sweatens the deal even more!

And damn some of you guys are paranoid....LOL!
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/04/13 03:03 AM

Quote:

hey kevin thank for all the great parts I bought for the dart they were spot on. I also run the NMCA and and would like to say thanks

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/04/13 05:57 PM

Up22 send me a free cowl hood for 71 dart about 4" then I'll be a believer...

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/04/13 06:52 PM

Ordered a front bumper for the Duster. More parts to the pile....

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/04/13 07:01 PM

When I ordered the 6 pac hood for my 71 Duster back in May they also send me a free hood scoop of my choice...

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/06/13 08:21 PM

Quote:

Hey, maybe he can come install it for ya too............
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/06/13 10:02 PM

Unlimited is TOTAL JUNK!

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/07/13 12:57 AM

Quote:

Unlimited is TOTAL JUNK!

GER is TOTAL JUNK! .....at least years ago I backed up my statement with an honest review of the trials and tribulations of a first hand experience of dealing with a # company. How long it took, why it didn't fit after they said "no problem, it will". Lengthly return process, copies of minutes on phone with said company, getting the consumer fraud division involved which finally got me my money back.

You made your feelings shown... now back it up. When, what, why???. I hold a lot more respect for your opinion than some other (insert description here) that simply said they suck. The bumper was not expensive, and if it is to my "race car" standards, I may buy more from them.

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/07/13 05:14 AM

Quote:

Unlimited is TOTAL JUNK!

Bold statement for sure.............kinda like Harland-sharp rockers suck because someone on here had a bad experience or failure. Not totally true or fair on both counts.

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/07/13 08:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

C'mon dom lolz I bought more than just a hood from them in the past:.: I called to talk to them and they were rude as crap... That turned me off more than the crap quality. If they have changed but for now...) way to many bad testimonial in past.
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/07/13 09:51 AM

I've got a 69 RR 6-BBL hood, frt bumper & decklid by Unlimited.

Other than the hood has a chipped corner from how it was roughed up in shipping and the bumper should have had the flanges molded in for the turn signals to be mounted (it is a racecar part though) the quality is perfectly acceptable for me. No air bubbles, nice surface finish.

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/07/13 11:30 AM

Drove from Phoenix to Unlimited after a call that they had a scoop in stock. Arrived an no one who could speak English. It was lunch time when I arrived, so I wait over an hour for some one to show up. Girl in the office stated I would have to wait for the guy in charge to return. Another hour went by! When he showed up I was told that they did not have the scoop, but they had a reject that I could purchase an and could pay a body shop to fix. That was the first problem with them. Next I tried to install Unlimited doors, deck lid, hood and bumpers on the wife's Cuda. Nothing fit, I mean NOTHING. I should have just thrown them away and bought someone else's stuff, but I decided to have the body shop make it work. Big mistake! In my hurry to get her car ready to race, it cost me over twice as much to repair than it would have to replace with new fiberglass.
Do I need to go on about my "Unlimited is JUNK" statement?

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/07/13 01:19 PM

Not to me.

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/07/13 04:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

C'mon dom lolz I bought more than just a hood from them in the past:.: I called to talk to them and they were rude as crap... That turned me off more than the crap quality. If they have changed but for now...) way to many bad testimonial in past.

This is my last statement on this subject; How long ago? Kevin said they cleaned house there and got rid of almost everyone and he`s now runnin the show so if you call, Kevin will be the one you talk to NOT Jose, Juan, Enriquez or a lady named Judy who knows nothing about galss..........

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/07/13 08:18 PM

Burn me once, shame on you. But burn me twice, shame on me. I'm not giving them a chance at strike three!
Posted By: moparmanjames

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 10/07/13 11:35 PM

Quote:

Funny you mention that...I ordered a cowl hood for my 72 Duster a while back and they sent one for a 73 by mistake. Then they sent me the correct one, let me keep the 73 and and only charged shipping for the 72.
So I got one hood for only the price of shipping, cool.
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 09/06/14 02:06 AM

I'm giving this a
I just had had a conversation about getting a hood for my 68 Barracuda. As soon as I mentioned it was a street car the person answering the phone-NOT Kevin- immediately started discouraging me from purchasing it. It was near the end of the day and I had questions she couldn't or wouldn't answer and she took my contact info so Kevin could talk to me.
I'd like to support a local business, but I may just cut the steel hood and call it good.
If/when I talk to Kevin I'll update this post with the outcome.

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 09/06/14 06:12 AM

No complaints.....

....and some light aluminum brackets.

....just waiting on some paint. I'll most likely be ordering a lightweight hood from them some time down the road.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 09/06/14 06:53 AM

Quote:

No complaints.....

....just waiting on some paint. I'll most likely be ordering a lightweight hood from them some time down the road.

Jay.. I don't remember if I told you this before, but if that cooler has a filter in it, remove it or bad stuff will happen to the insides of your transmission.. DAMHIK.!!!

Chris..

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 09/06/14 03:25 PM

Quote:

No complaints.....

What hood are you thinking? Will the cowl be for sale?

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 09/06/14 03:38 PM

Coolers fine Chris.... my trannys don't create "debris" so I'm not worried in the least .

I'll be going with the same hood Matt, only lighter. This one was a flat hood that we ended up bonding a hood scoop to as our engine program advanced (or regressed it seems at times). It's just a bit on the heavy side. It looks really good and fits nice, which I'm sure I'll give up some of that with the lightweight piece, but it is a race car.

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 09/06/14 03:49 PM

Quote:

Coolers fine Chris.... my trannys don't create "debris" so I'm not worried in the least .

I'll be going with the same hood Matt, only lighter. This one was a flat hood that we ended up bonding a hood scoop to as our engine program advanced (or regressed it seems at times). It's just a bit on the heavy side. It looks really good and fits nice, which I'm sure I'll give up some of that with the lightweight piece, but it is a race car.

So your going to bond a scoop to a hood, both from Unlimited? I know they make complete cowl hoods for the a-bodies, all the way up to 7"...But they don't seem to look as good from the pictures on their site compared to yours now...but probably are quite light

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 09/06/14 04:07 PM

I'll be buying thier complete cowl hood.... and yes, the lightweight one so I really don't expect show car perfect. Our present hood is a VFN and I believe a Harwood scoop and looks really nice, but it was prepped/painted by a freind so I really can't say what the quality was out of the box. Car was still in my dads hands when this work was done.

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 09/06/14 04:38 PM

Kevin will work w/you also and even called me after the first hood was done saying it was 13 lbs. and if that was light enuff and of course I said no and a few days later I had an 11 lb. hood.
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 09/07/14 05:34 AM

This morning I finally pulled my hood out of it's box (well packed, by the way) and plopped it on my Satellite. Looks great to me. It only has minor scratches which should be easy to take care of. I'll do primer/guide coat on it before paint.

Attached picture 8263308-WP_20140906_19_50_54_Pro(Medium).jpg

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 09/07/14 05:34 AM

other side..

Attached picture 8263309-WP_20140906_19_52_48_Pro(Medium).jpg
Posted By: littleVAL

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 09/07/14 06:15 AM

after reading post just realized that they are in my town. I wonder if I took my 64 valiant to them could they make molds etc for some fiberglass parts. I think I will call Monday. It would be nice to do a front end and rear deck and bumper should take off some weight.

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 09/07/14 02:10 PM

Quote:

other side..

What height is that hood? Looks good!
Posted By: mopar65

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 09/08/14 03:31 AM

I bought a set of there head light buckets to go with my fiberglass fenders for my duster. going to get there hood and probably a 7 inch cowl scoop for the duster to. will let every one know how they fit. also dom can you tell to set up a paypal account.lol

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 09/08/14 03:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

other side..

What height is that hood? Looks good!

4.75", it's a PL-885.

https://www.up22.com/road68.htm#PL-885

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 09/08/14 04:00 AM

Quote:

I bought a set of there head light buckets to go with my fiberglass fenders for my duster. going to get there hood and probably a 7 inch cowl scoop for the duster to. will let every one know how they fit. also dom can you tell to set up a paypal account.lol

Not too sure on payment stuff but Kevin will make it work............

Re: Unlimited Products Fiberglass hoods any good? - 09/08/14 05:55 AM

I got two of their A body 6 pac hoods...no problem with them at all...plus front and rear bumpers for a Dart.
© 2024 Moparts Forums