Moparts

Who runs a diaper on their race car

Posted By: HMcCandless_Jr

Who runs a diaper on their race car - 09/30/13 05:23 PM

I saw over 10K in damage done to two cars yesterday that if the car who broke a flywheel had a diaper it could have been prevented.

Who runs one and if you don't why not? My son will be running next year and I can tell you he will never go down the track without one even in an 11 second stocker.

Herb Jr
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 09/30/13 05:25 PM

I don't currently, due to oil pan design.

BUT

I'm changing the headers and pan this winter so I can run a diaper. After what happened to me earlier this year, the insurance is more than worth the cost and hassle.

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 09/30/13 05:33 PM

There is a guy out there if you send him your oil pan he will custom build the straps for you.
Posted By: Hemi Joe

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 09/30/13 05:35 PM

Herb - How would you do this on a 65 Hemi Coronet with the drag link going through the oil pan?? I would consider using one if it could be done easily. Thanks - HEMI JOE
Posted By: Super Scamp

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 09/30/13 05:44 PM

Quote:

I saw over 10K in damage done to two cars yesterday that if the car who broke a flywheel had a diaper it could have been prevented.

Who runs one and if you don't why not? My son will be running next year and I can tell you he will never go down the track without one even in an 11 second stocker.

Herb Jr

I do no matter what!!!!! DRE made me one and it save my butt.. Motor Hydroed #5&6 and the side of the block going through the traps @ Milan. The diaper caught everything!! I was lucky I will always have a diaper.

Attached picture 7870598-RaysPhone149.JPG
Posted By: Dartsport540

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 09/30/13 06:36 PM

I have one on mine, should be 4 years...
Posted By: Savoy1964

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 09/30/13 07:12 PM

Was also thinking of a diper for next year I also have draglink running through a Charlies pan. What is the price range on these?
Posted By: dvw

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 09/30/13 10:54 PM

I have one with a drag link. It's not perfect but better than nothing. I saw a 69 AMC w/509 BBC twin turbo Saturday at Milan. It kicked a rod so hard at the starting line that it broke the pinion gear off the rack. I believe this car has been 7.70. Food for thought.
Doug
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/01/13 12:04 AM

Donny runs a full containment pan on the blower car with an absorbant pad,and Eric runs a diaper.Both cars have dragster style pans and are easy to install.
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/01/13 12:27 AM

Dragster pan on mine also so it wasn't a big deal.

That said, I'd have one even if it was a big deal.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/01/13 12:40 AM

After kicking a rod and hitting the guardrail at Farmington two years ago I would not race without one......worst part is it was in the basement at home when it happened..
Posted By: montessa

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/01/13 01:09 AM

Had DRE make me one this spring for my pan with the drag link through it. Pain in the backside to install and an adventure to change oil, but I think that it's good insurance for the what if's. Cost me about $550 delivered.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/01/13 01:32 AM

Our Duster will most definately have one before it hits the track. Luckily Russ is local to me so he can fab up a blanket for my car hands on. I already have one for a small block Milodon pan sitting here, but I changed to a rear sump so I'll need another one done.... and then another for the Kevco pan on the next engine.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/01/13 01:34 AM

After what happen at Norwalk. Wife and I been talking about one. that could of been real bad if it would of happen down track with Jenni in the car
Posted By: BigDog68Dart

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/01/13 01:38 AM

diaper should be mandatory for every car that goes down track, much more important than stupid replace belts every 2 years, my two cents
Posted By: mcduff

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/01/13 01:27 PM

After a near crash just before the 1/8th as a result of a rod blowing thru the block....I will never run without one.
Thank God the other lane was much slower and had time to stop as I ended up in his lane.
I run a centerlink thru my oil pan and had Dennis at DRE make my diaper. Awesome job cost about $550.00 I added some custom made bellows for the centerlink that seal up the cut-outs in the diaper for the centerlink. Total pain in the azz to change the oil but worth the safety precaution for sure.

Attached picture 7871853-6-15-13-R1-161-f.jpg
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/01/13 02:49 PM

....as long as your blowin $550 on a blanket, just go tube K and steering rack then you won't have to worry about that pita steering link through your pan! Nice car
Posted By: Super Scamp

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/01/13 04:30 PM

Quote:

After what happen at Norwalk. Wife and I been talking about one. that could of been real bad if it would of happen down track with Jenni in the car

Next time I drive by the trailer at the track Vern. I better see a trailer full of playground equipment , Grand Kids and a diaper on Jenni's car
Posted By: Dads426

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/01/13 06:09 PM

We do. Dragster style pan, drag link through it, kickout, external oil lines. Sent the pan to Dennis at DRE and he custom made one. Saved our butts this year when the bypass plug in the pump came out at Beaver Springs at the finish line. Diaper caught everything. Get the bushings for the center link from Mike Roth. Makes removing the center link a breeze.

Attached picture 7872230-image.jpg
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/01/13 06:16 PM

Quote:

We do. Dragster style pan, drag link through it, kickout, external oil lines. Sent the pan to Dennis at DRE and he custom made one. Saved our butts this year when the bypass plug in the pump came out at Beaver Springs at the finish line. Diaper caught everything. Get the bushings for the center link from Mike Roth. Makes removing the center link a breeze.

So all you guys have them, but Nooobody posts any pictures anymore?
Posted By: SCDaytona

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/01/13 08:01 PM

I run a KEVLAR DRE diaper on my pan with external pump.

Attached picture 7872365-Aug'015(a).jpg
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/01/13 08:12 PM

I have had one for years. Learned how good they work in 07 when we put rods out of the Hemi and made two bid windows in the block and not a drop of oil on the track. All this at 160 in the lites

One of the holes..
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/01/13 08:30 PM

I make belly pans for everything now.

Posted By: rickraw

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/01/13 09:31 PM

Good, make me 1 please.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/01/13 11:44 PM

A diaper ? ... 550$ ...is uNsane ...

...now what is with the pads ? ... couldn't you just use something like a cut-up furniture moving pad ? ...and also .... does a belly-pan use a pad also ?

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/02/13 01:52 AM

There are other manufacturers that will make it cheaper, but I think it is worth the investment, especially when a son/daughter is driving the car. Dennis at DRE had to custom make that diaper and it was expensive, but he did stand behind it and when we had issues with the headers burning through a section he fixed it for free and added additional heat resistant material where necessary. A diaper costs about 1-2% of the value of a racecar. Cheap insurance.

The pads are some type of thick felt-like material; I believe Summit & Jegs sell replacements. I have washed any oil out with a water based degreaser, let it air dry and reuse it. I did have an issue with it (the diaper) sagging, so I added a piece of masonite under the pad for additional support (our pan is very wide due to the kickout). I also added studs to the header flange between #6 & 8 and #5 & 7 to make it easier to install the straps and it is a straighter pull from the mounting point on the diaper.
Posted By: 2QUICK4U

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/02/13 02:30 AM

I did run a diaper and they retain a lot of heat, so I switched to a belly pan... safety number one..

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/02/13 02:47 AM

Quote:

I did run a diaper and they retain a lot of heat, so I switched to a belly pan... safety number one..

Did you run an oil temp gauge on the car? A friend of mine runs an oil temp gauge installed one on his car and the oil temp went up 10 whole degrees after hotlapping the car for a runner up. I don't believe its that much different.

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/02/13 03:13 AM

Did you run an oil temp gauge on the car?

We had one on the car until this year (it broke) and I didn't notice any difference from before we had the diaper. However with NSS racing, we typcially have long wait between rounds, until we get to the finals, so heat retention isn't an issue.

Attached picture 7873022-MapleGrove2013B.jpg
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/02/13 05:44 AM

I used to run an oil temp gauge as well and I have zero issues with heat when hot lapping.
Posted By: Palindrome Cuda

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/02/13 10:13 AM

We run engine diaper and also use one on the trans. Mike
Posted By: julian2007

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/02/13 08:55 PM

I run a diaper and containment trays for two reasons

1)incase my car leaks a small amount of un detected oil or trany fluid on the track some other pore racer don't drive threw it and destroy there stuff.
2)so I don't destroy my stuff incase of a leak.

in that order

Containment systems are not only for you they are for the other guy as well, think about that when you are trying to decide if its worth spending the money on.

keeping the track clean and safe is just as much the racers job as is the track crew.

Race smart Race safe, Gaier's Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram

Attached picture 7873764-SKINNY.jpg
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/02/13 09:13 PM

IS a belly-pan alone enuff or do you have to line the inside of the pan with a absorbent pad or liner?
Posted By: julian2007

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/03/13 01:10 PM

I do not have liners in my trays but I also have a diaper If I did not have a diaper I would run a liner in my tray.

It also keeps your garage floor clean and your trailer floor clean.

Its also a good tool to check for small leaks just look in the tray and you can catch it before its a problem, you know where the leak is coming from.

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/03/13 01:44 PM

So far...Nobody has posted pictures of one of the $500 ones with the steering linkage thru it!!!

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/04/13 12:19 AM

Quote:

I run a diaper and containment trays for two reasons

1)incase my car leaks a small amount of un detected oil or trany fluid on the track some other pore racer don't drive threw it and destroy there stuff.
2)so I don't destroy my stuff incase of a leak.

in that order

Containment systems are not only for you they are for the other guy as well, think about that when you are trying to decide if its worth spending the money on.

keeping the track clean and safe is just as much the racers job as is the track crew.

Race smart Race safe, Gaier's Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram

I agree 100 percent! lots of nighttime racing, maybe missed oil leaking, best insurance for all, and speeds up program from oil downs, and reduced costs for track- promoter or whoever is in charge of program!

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/04/13 12:40 AM

Quote:

IS a belly-pan alone enuff or do you have to line the inside of the pan with a absorbent pad or liner?

I run 3 pig matts inside the belly pans
Posted By: Wv68charger

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/04/13 01:26 AM

Considering the pan over the blanket, do you use specific mats in your pan bigtimeauto? Ever heard of pig mats? Trying to decide on a oil pan which will dictate wether we go blanket or pan.

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/04/13 01:27 AM

I am thinking the pan would be a whole lot easy to do on my car.

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/04/13 01:30 AM

Quote:

I am thinking the pan would be a whole lot easy to do on my car.

I'm leaning that way myself...

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/04/13 01:31 AM

Quote:

Considering the pan over the blanket, do you use specific mats in your pan bigtimeauto? Ever heard of pig mats? Trying to decide on a oil pan which will dictate wether we go blanket or pan.

right above your post I posted I use 3 pig matts LOL I silicone them in.

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/04/13 01:34 AM

OK what is a pig mat ??????

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/04/13 01:39 AM

Quote:

OK what is a pig mat ??????

http://www.eastwood.com/pig-mat-15-x20-1...CFS7xOgodK3AA3Q

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/04/13 01:42 AM

http://www.newpig.com/pig/US/refill-for-...-system-mat4304

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/04/13 01:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

LOL missed that... So I'm on an apple device and can't access your website I'm assuming you make pans?

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/04/13 01:45 AM

Jamie, I think the pig mat you can get from paint supply store, I use an oil absorbant mat even in diaper,to keep it cleaner, got mine from local fire dept. they use to clean oil spills at accident scene

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/04/13 01:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LOL missed that... So I'm on an apple device and can't access your website I'm assuming you make pans?

No more website, insurance company hung out there more than anybody.

I make stuff only for cars in my shop. No take out here sorry

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/04/13 01:49 AM

well we here in farmville have lot of farm stores and farmer hardware stores. I will have to check them out

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/04/13 01:52 AM

Quote:

well we here in farmville have lot of farm stores and farmer hardware stores. I will have to check them out

I can get them at work by the roll

Now just have to make a decision....

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/04/13 02:44 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=engine+d...h=655&dpr=1

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/04/13 02:49 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=engine+d...ch&imgdii=_

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/04/13 02:55 AM

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124433

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/04/13 03:05 AM

rules

1:8 LOWER ENGINE CONTAINMENT DEVICE
In classes where specified, must utilize an NHRA-accepted lower
engine oil-retention device. SFI Spec 7.1 or 7.2 Lower Engine
Containment Device permitted. A properly fitting lower engine
ballistic/restraint device mandatory. The NHRA Technical staff can
accept or reject any device. Any device that fails to perform as
required must be replaced or repaired to the satisfaction of the
Technical staff prior to any furthur runs. When used, an SFI Spec
7.1 or 7.2 Lower Engine Containment Device must cover the sides
of the block and pan up to within one inch of the head mating
surface and extend to within 1 1/2 inches of the front and rear of the
cylinder case area. SFI Spec 7.1 devices must be
updated/recertified by the original manufacturer at one-year
intervals. In classes where specified, a belly pan may be used in
lieu of a device attached to the engine. The belly pan must extend
from framerail to framerail and extend forward of the harmonic
balancer and to the rear of the engine block and must incorporate a
minimum 2-inch-high lip on all sides unless specified in Class
Requirements. Minimum number of slots or holes in the walls to
clear frame, steering, or lines permitted. A nonflammable, oilabsorbent
liner mandatory inside of retention device.
Posted By: wyoming

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/04/13 04:13 AM

Your looking to hard there Vern, unless your planning on stepping way up in class, the retention blanket doesnt have to be SFI, it just has to be NHRA approved, I ran one for about 3 years since the Salt Lake City track required it on any car faster than 10.99, there are several people who will make one fairly resonable. I had a Russler brand the bottom was ok, fit well the straps were kinda chincy, thats been well discussed on here, but a custom made one for fit was a little under $200, I ruined mine on a very rough track, right after I mover here, Marion County up in Ohio will make you hit the brakes a little hard in the shutdown area, anyway I scrapped the bottom on mine.NHRA has a list of ones that are accepted, they just got a little cash from those guys, SFI would have cost them more for sure

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/06/13 10:30 PM

Someone wanted pics of the custom diaper, so here they are:

Attached picture 7878307-image.jpg

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/06/13 10:32 PM

2nd one:

Attached picture 7878309-image.jpg

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 10/06/13 10:32 PM

Last:

Attached picture 7878311-image.jpg

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 12/05/13 01:52 AM

Quote:

Someone wanted pics of the custom diaper, so here they are:

So where does that attach up the block? And how in the hell do you change the oil?

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 12/05/13 03:34 AM

There are 4 straps that attach to the header with a bracket. Two to the front header bolts, but the rear two were too close to the tubes, so I drilled and tapped the flange between 6&8 and 5&7 to use studs so the bracket can be pulled up and slipped over the stud. To change the oil I have to drop the drag link (I use the bushings from Mike Roth so it slips off easily) and drop the back of the diaper. It's a pain, but DRE didn't want to put a flap in the bottom for fear it may leak. Having the diaper on and off about 40 times over the years; you learn a few tricks to make it easier. Also, we never start a fresh engine with the diaper on to check for leaks, so the drag link comes off again. The bushings are the cats meow.

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 12/05/13 03:57 AM

I just have a hard time understanding. what good a diaper going to do with holes in it.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 12/05/13 04:12 AM

Quote:

I've had trouble getting my oil temp over 150. I thought the diaper would hold more heat. I haven't found that to be the case for me.
Doug
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 12/05/13 04:27 AM

Vern you're right. The diaper MIGHT not stay intact 100% of the time. But there have been LOTS of examples where it didn't come apart and did indeed keep the oil contained.

Just like a roll bar won't save everyone one from every wreck, but it doesn't mean they don't help often times.

I had a buddy that killed a 440. Windowed the block /killed the pan. Not one drop off oil under the tires. Diaper stayed together.

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 12/05/13 05:36 AM

Quote:

I just have a hard time understanding. what good a diaper going to do with holes in it.

The diaper has a big depends pad in it to absorb any fluid that spills. The hole for the oil level is a plastic window that is sealed. The drag link holes are open and there is a chance that fluid may escape from that location if the block or pan is windowed in that area, but a majority of the block/pan is covered and the hole is high enough to contain the contents of the pan/block. Some people run a bellows on the drag link that seals to the diaper, but I have not explored that option.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 12/05/13 12:46 PM

For me the solution was a belly pan. I built it big enough to go from in front of the damper to behind the bell housing area. It goes outside rail to outside rail, sides match the contour of the frame rails and it goes around the lower control arms.

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 03/05/14 03:15 AM

Quote:

There are 4 straps that attach to the header with a bracket. Two to the front header bolts, but the rear two were too close to the tubes, so I drilled and tapped the flange between 6&8 and 5&7 to use studs so the bracket can be pulled up and slipped over the stud. To change the oil I have to drop the drag link (I use the bushings from Mike Roth so it slips off easily) and drop the back of the diaper. It's a pain, but DRE didn't want to put a flap in the bottom for fear it may leak. Having the diaper on and off about 40 times over the years; you learn a few tricks to make it easier. Also, we never start a fresh engine with the diaper on to check for leaks, so the drag link comes off again. The bushings are the cats meow.

So that is a DRE diaper...Do you have to send them the pan I am assuming?
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 03/05/14 02:22 PM

If your pan is off the shelf (milodon, etc) they should have everything they need as far as measurements. This pan was made by barton when the previous owner had the car, so we did need to send it in.
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 03/06/14 02:09 AM

Belly pan on mine. I believe NHRA requires an oil absorbant pad. I use the pad Jegs makes for thier diaper.

Attached picture 8063274-bracketnationals.jpg

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 03/06/14 03:13 AM

Quote:

If your pan is off the shelf (milodon, etc) they should have everything they need as far as measurements. This pan was made by barton when the previous owner had the car, so we did need to send it in.

None of mine are "off the shelf"...
Posted By: poisondart2

Re: Who runs a diaper on their race car - 03/06/14 03:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

None of mine are "off the shelf"...

You don't have to send the pan to him, just the pan dimensions ! They will make the diaper anyway you want it
© 2024 Moparts Forums