Moparts

Cal-Tracs

Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Cal-Tracs - 09/15/13 04:32 PM

Well after trying drag shocks, spring clamps and whatnot (and going backwards each time) I guess I need to bite the bullet and buy a set of cal-tracs. I see them on 'bay for $338. Does anybody have a cheaper price?
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/15/13 04:49 PM

Do yourself a favor and buy them direct from Calvert. That way you can tailor them to your set-up.

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/15/13 04:50 PM

Quote:

Do yourself a favor and buy them direct from Calvert. That way you can tailor them to your set-up.

Their website is down, no hurry I guess. What do I need to tell them?
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/15/13 04:51 PM

you could try moneymakerracing, that's where i found my best price. 219-861-1214
you could also try FBO,dont have his number.
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/15/13 04:58 PM

Are you going to do springs too?

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/15/13 05:39 PM

Quote:

Are you going to do springs too?

trying to avoid that if possible. I'd just like to be in the 1.52-1.55 range. Best so far was 1.60 but most of the time I was in the 1.68-1.72 and after the drag shocks and clamping the front segments I'm in the 1.78-1.84 range... If I load the convert up it's not as bad, but if I use the converter it just blows the tires off. I typically feel it spin 3-4 times before it "digs" A buddy at the track says I have too much rear end lift. I tried 70-30 and 50-50 on the rear shocks...not sure if 40-60 would do much.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/15/13 06:12 PM

Quote:

you could try moneymakerracing, that's where i found my best price. 219-861-1214

Alex, Beth & Tony are all racers. They run Fords, but they're good people and have helped many racers over the years. When I'm ready to get some, I'll be giving them a call.

MoneyMaker Racing
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/15/13 07:11 PM

Quote:

A buddy at the track says I have too much rear end lift. I tried 70-30 and 50-50 on the rear shocks...not sure if 40-60 would do much.

Rancho 9-way or the Cal-Trac adjustable shocks should help. I believe that the more power you make and the harder the suspension gets "hit", the stiffer the shocks need to be.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/15/13 07:44 PM

Did you unclamp the back of your springs and have long drag shocks?? unclamping the back lets the front part of the spring work.

Too short a shock tops out and unloads. adjustable shocks as part of cal tracs really works to slow down that extension.

I had better launches with my SS springs than with the mono springs but i think i got too stiff of mono springs.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/15/13 09:17 PM

Save your self money and dis appointment ! get a floater and ladder bars be done!
or ladders and coils either one better cal tracks, and floaters,
As for calling them direct foget about that! they where no help at all to us after the sale because they have no idea what or how to set up your car! that they will tell you is your deal! all they can tell you is a basic start ! after that you test n tune them
good luck!
Posted By: 10secGTX

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 01:15 AM

Quote:

Save your self money and dis appointment ! get a floater and ladder bars be done!
or ladders and coils either one better cal tracks, and floaters,
As for calling them direct foget about that! they where no help at all to us after the sale because they have no idea what or how to set up your car! that they will tell you is your deal! all they can tell you is a basic start ! after that you test n tune them
good luck!

I found just the opposite...they helped me and if they have a car damn near standing on the back bumper they must be doing something right ....

*Caution* Mr Yuck you need to get the springs as well they work better as a package ...i have gone 1.45 60' with a 275 drag radial in a 3700 lbs car they take time but they work
Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 01:29 AM

You talk about it blowing the tires off when you launch at a higher RPM...90% of making a car hookup is in the FRONT end...what do you have up there?? If it's not lifting the front tires off the ground, you've got more work to do up front...
Posted By: tex013

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 01:30 AM

hey MrYuck,
I run the caltracs on stock HD mopar springs in my 68 Satellite , average 1.52 60'
I run rancho rear shocks set full tight and QA1 single adjustable front shocks set full loose
Calvert were helpful so is the section on yellowbullet . maybe I was lucky , set up as per Calvert not changed since

Tex
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 01:30 AM

Glad they helped you out, I can only go by the exspereance we had with them!
Some seam to have good luck with them we have had quite the differance there as well.
In fact the cal tracs are coming off this winter we will go back to super stock springs as the car left faster off them !
for half the money!
the cal tracks will either be sold off or scrapped makes zero dif to me at this point!
$1,100 worth of wasted money!

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 01:31 AM

Quote:

Did you unclamp the back of your springs and have long drag shocks?? unclamping the back lets the front part of the spring work.

Too short a shock tops out and unloads. adjustable shocks as part of cal tracs really works to slow down that extension.

I had better launches with my SS springs than with the mono springs but i think i got too stiff of mono springs.

I didn't unclamp the back...I have the summit version of the Comp Engr drag shocks. I was told I might need to clamp the 1st and 2nd rear segmant as well. I was thinking of getting some SS springs but was told that's old technology...I'm not sure what the full extended lenght of these shocks are.
The car isn't really that fast, maybe these springs are just whoooopppped.
As for ladder bars, I'd rather not. I'm no welder and I have to drive 30 or 52 miles each way to the track not sure how that ride would go.

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 01:35 AM

Quote:

You talk about it blowing the tires off when you launch at a higher RPM...90% of making a car hookup is in the FRONT end...what do you have up there?? If it's not lifting the front tires off the ground, you've got more work to do up front...

standard 90/10's...I know a 70 charger is not an ideal race car but my 67 12.08 coronet had a better 60 foot...w/ a sway bar. It had newer XHD springs and JC Whitney coil over rear shocks.

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 01:39 AM

MrYuck,
clamp the front , unclamp the rear
I have 2 on front , removed the rear most clamp on the rear side
I footbrake , no transbrake
Tex

Attached picture 7853439-13-WAP403225.jpg
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 01:41 AM

Quote:

This seems to be a huge secret for some reason. I doubt the OP wants to make the front end right for truly picking up the 60's.

Most of the people that don't like the results of any suspension don't do what is required to get them to work. Full of excuses and no real addressing the true issue.

None of these pieces are a magic beans that will pick your car up if the chassis as a "harmonious unit" isn't working well.

Ask member Punk how well cal tracs worked on their car... pretty darn good running low 1.4x's on 275 drag radials and 10.60 et's. It's gone 1.37's/ 10.52 on slicks and with Afco shocks. Go look up what those calculators say his car should run in the 1/4 for that 60'... LOL

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 01:42 AM

side shot

Tex

Attached picture 7853443-sdtcs220513_548.jpg
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 01:59 AM

Quote:

I was thinking of getting some SS springs but was told that's old technology...I'm not sure what the full extended length of these shocks are.

There are still only four ways to spring a car, leafs, coils, torsion, or air. Thats it. Cal-Tracs are still leaf springs, albeit they are mono-leafs, but still leaf springs.

The springs will determine the range of motion, the shocks determine the timing of the motion.

I'd verify you have adequate shock travel, unclamp the rear segment, and see where that leaves you before moving to the front motion. Maybe have a buddy video tap your launch and post it up here.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 02:31 AM

Mine 60ft with Caltrac's and a MF front end has been a 1.48 already...And the front end moves very little which surprised me on the launches being that good.

One thing I will mention though, my SS springs were soo lop sided, I had the front of the car all screwed up to compensate. Never again will I go back to those lousy things.One was nearly flatened out.

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 02:35 AM

....unclamp the rear segment, and see where that leaves you before moving to the front motion. Maybe have a buddy video tap your launch and post it up here.

are you saying cut the factory clamps off?
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 02:44 AM

I went 9.80's on superstock springs with mid1.3 60 foots and the car hook anywhere, and would go on the bumper if I wanted it to.
I agree with previous poster the front end is a big factor as well.
I have read more threads on here over the years about how to get a car to work with cal tracks than anything else.
The s/s springs were well engineered from Mopar, they work.
Current owner of my car runs 9.60's at 140 with it now, still 28 by 10 tire.
They will certainly work on an 11 sec car.
Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 02:46 AM

As said before, go thru the front suspension and make sure it works correctly and has at least 4-5" of travel. Make sure it is LOOSE!
If your rear shocks currently are not long enough, that may be part of your problem as well. When I was using SS springs I had the longest CE adjustable drag shock I could get. My best 60 with ss springs was a 1.412 running 10.60's.

Now for caltracs, I had all kinds of troubles when I switched to them with the monoleaf springs. I was running strange double adjustable rear shocks without the coil over springs. When I called calvert for help, they told me those shocks were too short. I ordered their shocks to finish off a complete calvert recommended parts list and their shocks were only a 1/4" longer. Still had the same problem unloading the tires. Called John Calvert himself and once I told him what it was doing (I had told his tech assist guys the same thing 2 times prior) he immediately asked how much front end travel I had. That was the problem the whole time. I had about 3 3/8" travel. Once I corrected the front end travel and now have a shade over 5" it has been fine. Still a little finicky on greasy tracks, but what isn't. Current best 60 is 1.349 running 9.899. They all have inherent problems and advantages. It is up to you to figure out what you can live with. HTH Beep

Attached picture 7853528-2013NightUnderFire.jpg
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 03:11 AM

Interesting, what is done to loosen the front end?

Attached picture 7853567-image.jpg
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 03:14 AM

Put superstock springs on it. I went 9.60s and 1.36 60 on them before I switched to caltracs. Use the extra long mp 50/50 raer shocks. Caltracs are great but for your speeds not needed imo.
Posted By: mopar65

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 03:17 AM

sorry for the dumb question, but i have started building my 73 duster and want to make sure it has the 4-5 inches of lift that you guys are talking about. So how do you check for it and what do you do to the front-end if you don't have the recommended travel. I will be using the mopar 002/003 super stock springs for now. don't have the money for cal tracts or ladder bars right now.these same super stock springs in my big block dart has been a best of 1.48 running 10.49 at 125 in the 1/4. thanks mopar65

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 03:24 AM

I made a set of chrome moly upper control arms with rod ends instead of bushings and a low friction upper ball joints. I also made a set of dynamic strut rods for the lower control arm with a rod end as well. While I was doing these mods I installed a set of wildwood disc brakes and removed the 73-up factory discs. All these mods made for a 41 pound saving on the nose of the car. With QA1 single adjustable front shocks set on 3 clicks from full loose, it would almost drag the rear license plate in good air. Scared the poo out of me. Thankfully it went straight. In good air now it has 5 clicks in it! Beep

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 03:41 AM

Quote:

sorry for the dumb question, but i have started building my 73 duster and want to make sure it has the 4-5 inches of lift that you guys are talking about. So how do you check for it and what do you do to the front-end if you don't have the recommended travel. I will be using the mopar 002/003 super stock springs for now. don't have the money for cal tracts or ladder bars right now.these same super stock springs in my big block dart has been a best of 1.48 running 10.49 at 125 in the 1/4. thanks mopar65

Make sure the car is on level ground.
Measure from the wheel lip on the fender directly over the spindle to the ground. Jack the car up slowly watching the bottom of the front tire. Just as the tire appears to be coming off the ground (try to rotate it so you can tell when it comes off the ground), measure to the same point on the fender lip to the ground. Do the math from the 2 measurements and that is your travel. Beep

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 04:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Measure from the wheel lip on the fender directly over the spindle to the ground. Jack the car up slowly watching the bottom of the front tire. Just as the tire appears to be coming off the ground (try to rotate it so you can tell when it comes off the ground), measure to the same point on the fender lip to the ground. Do the math from the 2 measurements and that is your travel. Beep

cool thanks for the info. not as hard as i thought it was.lol Mopar65
Posted By: mshred

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 04:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This is how I measured mine...One thing you will find as well is the bumpstop for the upper control arm can also limit front end travel a whole bunch. I ended up cutting mine down big time, and that alone got me 1" of more front end travel.

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 04:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is how I measured mine...One thing you will find as well is the bumpstop for the upper control arm can also limit front end travel a whole bunch. I ended up cutting mine down big time, and that alone got me 1" of more front end travel.

cool thanks for the tip. Mopar65
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 02:49 PM

Quote:

....unclamp the rear segment, and see where that leaves you before moving to the front motion. Maybe have a buddy video tap your launch and post it up here.

Yes, start with the rear most one.

There are other good recommendations in here too regarding front end set up as well.

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 03:27 PM

Quote:

Put superstock springs on it. I went 9.60s and 1.36 60 on them before I switched to caltracs. Use the extra long mp 50/50 raer shocks. Caltracs are great but for your speeds not needed imo.

yeah, but I'm worried about the 100-150 shot I'll be appling late this year or early next.

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 07:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, start with the rear most one.

There are other good recommendations in here too regarding front end set up as well.

lauch pic, not sure you can tell anything form it. This is before front and rear drag shocks were installed.

Attached picture 7854288-70a.jpg
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Cal-Tracs - 09/16/13 07:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

yeah, but I'm worried about the 100-150 shot I'll be appling late this year or early next.

9.60s was a 175 shot car went 10.70s on pump puke. I still think it is over kill for your car. Money saved could be spent on better front shocks, tube control arms etc.jmo
© 2024 Moparts Forums