Moparts

package tray with a roll bar

Posted By: Runner

package tray with a roll bar - 09/08/13 01:33 AM

what is everyone running for a package tray when the bar goes through the speaker holes in the package tray?. ive tried a couple different things and nothing seeems to make me happy. its hard to get something to go around the bar and be somewhat rigid. are most people using carpet? thats what im thinking now
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: package tray with a roll bar - 09/08/13 01:51 AM

I used a piece of aluminum and cut it to size. Cut out the holes for the rollbars and then covered it with black naugahide (vinyl).
Posted By: QTR MILR

Re: package tray with a roll bar - 09/08/13 02:01 AM

I used some cheap "automotive" carpet from Stuffmart....
Posted By: modelmakerinc

Re: package tray with a roll bar - 09/08/13 03:04 AM

mine is hardboard covered in very short cut pile carpet. I cut it in a way to wrap around the down bars, the package tray is three pieces held down by the speakers screws and since it is cut pile the seams disappear/blend together.

Attached picture 7843553-066.JPG
Posted By: ProSport

Re: package tray with a roll bar - 09/08/13 03:17 AM

I use cardboard covered in black vinyl.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: package tray with a roll bar - 09/08/13 05:19 AM

Alum, in two pieces. Real PITA though.

Brian
Posted By: hemicop

Re: package tray with a roll bar - 09/08/13 07:22 PM

Speakerboard---it's cheap, easy to work with, gives a stock appearence to the interior & if you screw-up cutting it you can cheaply re-do it with another piece quickly.........
Posted By: justinp61

Re: package tray with a roll bar - 09/08/13 07:39 PM

I just used the factory package tray.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: package tray with a roll bar - 09/09/13 05:48 PM

Here is mine on my Challenger. Re-used Factory speaker tray.

Attached picture 7845340-100_1665[640x480].jpg
Posted By: Crizila

Re: package tray with a roll bar - 09/09/13 10:07 PM

Quote:

what is everyone running for a package tray when the bar goes through the speaker holes in the package tray?. ive tried a couple different things and nothing seeems to make me happy. its hard to get something to go around the bar and be somewhat rigid. are most people using carpet? thats what im thinking now

What package tray?

Attached picture 7845631-rrdownbars.jpg
Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Re: package tray with a roll bar - 09/10/13 12:51 AM

I was considering this, and thought that ABS sheets might be what I try first. Should be fairly easy to work with. Cover it with some kind of short pile carpet, vinyl, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/ABS-Plastic-Sheet-Thick-Thickness/dp/B004UBUX5C

Either way, not looking forward to it.
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: package tray with a roll bar - 09/10/13 01:47 AM

I have speakerboard right now, however the local tech guy told me it has to be metal per NHRA.. I thought it just had to be sealed..

Re: package tray with a roll bar - 09/10/13 02:11 AM

Quote:

I have speakerboard right now, however the local tech guy told me it has to be metal per NHRA.. I thought it just had to be sealed..

Really? The sub-structure/bracing underneath is metal, but the finished tray part needs to be too?
Posted By: jbmopars

Re: package tray with a roll bar - 09/10/13 02:39 AM

Mine is aluminum covered by the factory fibre board knotched for the tubing then covered with the factory headliner material. After knotching the cut out was replaced back in its location.

Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: package tray with a roll bar - 09/10/13 02:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Really? The sub-structure/bracing underneath is metal, but the finished tray part needs to be too?

If the battery and/or fuel cell is located in the trunk area, then yes, the bulkhead must be sealed with a min of .032" alum.
If using the stock, unaltered fuel tank and the battery remains in the stock (up front) location, then it can be left open.

Brian

Re: package tray with a roll bar - 09/10/13 02:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If the battery and/or fuel cell is located in the trunk area, then yes, the bulkhead must be sealed with a min of .032" alum.
If using the stock, unaltered fuel tank and the battery remains in the stock (up front) location, then it can be left open.

Brian

Thanks, even if the battery is in an approved box in the trunk?
Posted By: Crizila

Re: package tray with a roll bar - 09/10/13 03:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Brian

Thanks, even if the battery is in an approved box in the trunk?

Yes, and if you do steel, I think it has to be .016" thick.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: package tray with a roll bar - 09/10/13 03:40 AM

If you use a sealed battery box, like a Moroso 74050 or a Taylor 48100, and have no fuel system stuff in the trunk, a sealed, metal bulkhead is not required.
© 2024 Moparts Forums