Moparts

Maintenance on sitting race car

Posted By: mikeysmopars

Maintenance on sitting race car - 08/30/13 06:47 AM

Havn't raced since March this year and plan to run in October.
Car has pretty much sat in the same spot for the last 6 months and i try to fire it a couple times a month to keep valve springs rotated but what else is important? Before i run i plan to put a wrench on every nut & bolt & do typical go around but what do you guys do if it sits a while? Non alcohol just race gas, I'm in central California so weather isn't a factor.

Attached picture 7832958-wchra#2(4).jpg
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Maintenance on sitting race car - 08/30/13 02:59 PM

Quote:

Car has pretty much sat in the same spot for the last 6 months and i try to fire it a couple times a month to keep valve springs rotated but what else is important? Before i run i plan to put a wrench on every nut & bolt & do typical go around but what do you guys do if it sits a while? Non alcohol just race gas, I'm in central California so weather isn't a factor.

That's basically what I do also. My car sits for a few months during the hot weather in Az. I jack the rear tires off the ground. Fire it up a couple of times a month and dump it in gear and run the drive train a little. Since my car is still licensed, I do have a set of mufflers and short exhaust pipes ( exit in front of diff ) that I can easily ( band clamped to the collectors) put on and take off for short road tests if need be. I run race gas also so we don't have to sweat the fuel / alcohol issue.

Attached picture 7833121-exhaustsys.jpg
Posted By: rebel

Re: Maintenance on sitting race car - 08/30/13 10:39 PM

my car sits for 7 months of the year over our winter. when we park it up we back off the rocker gear so all the valves are seated. at restart it's fresh oil with a prime on the pump, change the trans fluid & radiator coolant. every 2nd year we flush the brake fluid. during winter we remove the valve springs & test them, so far we've figured springs are only good for 150 runs when we change retainers n locks as well. we have very few failures & run super consistant. we can tell what our dial in will be just by looking at the barometer.
Posted By: avenger572

Re: Maintenance on sitting race car - 08/30/13 11:14 PM

Sweet 300 in the back round

Attached picture 7833632-image.jpg
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Maintenance on sitting race car - 08/31/13 12:23 AM

Quote:

Here`s my routine............I start it, go for a drive maybe grab lunch then put it up. Register that damn thing and enjoy it.....

Re: Maintenance on sitting race car - 08/31/13 12:44 AM

Quote:

Keen eye!

Attached picture 7833730-mary's300.jpg
Posted By: jmoparman

Re: Maintenance on sitting race car - 08/31/13 12:48 AM

Race more

Attached picture 7833734-image.jpg
Posted By: topside

Re: Maintenance on sitting race car - 08/31/13 12:50 AM

I used to fire mine up from time to time, but the last couple of years all I do is turn the crank with a breaker bar to move the valve springs. If it sits long enough, I'll pre-oil it before lighting it off. Haven't noticed any problems. Before taking it to the track, I go over the fasteners, fluids, wheels & tires to make sure it's ready.

Re: Maintenance on sitting race car - 08/31/13 12:56 AM

You sound just like my buddy. I have enough stuff to drive on the street. I prefer to keep the two separate as i'm not as Law abiding as you Dom.

Re: Maintenance on sitting race car - 08/31/13 12:59 AM

Quote:

Race more

Speak Of the Devel!
Posted By: jmoparman

Re: Maintenance on sitting race car - 08/31/13 01:01 AM

You're buddy's a smart man

Attached picture 7833750-image.jpg

Re: Maintenance on sitting race car - 08/31/13 01:01 AM

Quote:

Also nice wheels. Here is a very rare set Anson's I believe.

Attached picture 7833751-300wheels.jpg
Posted By: avenger572

Re: Maintenance on sitting race car - 08/31/13 02:16 AM

Another pic

Attached picture 7833828-image.jpg
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Maintenance on sitting race car - 08/31/13 04:25 AM

Quote:

You sound just like my buddy. I have enough stuff to drive on the street. I prefer to keep the two separate as i'm not as Law abiding as you Dom.

You could make it work.............. We`ll pass on the "Law" stuff for now thank you.
© 2024 Moparts Forums