Moparts

Rusted racer

Posted By: Dartin

Rusted racer - 08/30/13 01:40 AM

Just thought I would share some pics of a former race car that is in a storage facility near me. Not a Mopar, but a sad sight. I'm sure it could tell some stories. Big Ol' Firestone slicks, Cobra decals and emblems on the dash, full cage, and lots of rust.

Randy

Attached picture 7832645-003.jpg

Re: Rusted racer - 08/30/13 01:40 AM

another

Attached picture 7832647-002.jpg

Re: Rusted racer - 08/30/13 01:41 AM

Last one

Attached picture 7832648-001.jpg
Posted By: headhunter

Re: Rusted racer - 08/30/13 01:57 AM

that is sad more than likely a big block car
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Rusted racer - 08/30/13 02:06 AM

Damn... to have the deck lid rot a big old hole like that
it must have been outside for a long time... bummer
Posted By: 67Satty

Re: Rusted racer - 08/30/13 02:11 AM

I was going to say I would love to get it running and safe and make some passes down the track looking just the way it is...

...until I saw that trunk lid. I can only imagine what it looks like underneath...
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Rusted racer - 08/30/13 02:22 AM

Quote:

I was going to say I would love to get it running and safe and make some passes down the track looking just the way it is...

...until I saw that trunk lid. I can only imagine what it looks like underneath...

When I started working on my Rampage it wasnt that bad
on the body but the whole underside was rotted to death..
I was leary of opening the doors and sitting in it..
figured it might bend in half
Posted By: dagohman

Re: Rusted racer - 08/30/13 03:47 AM

That is a sad sight indeed
I'm sure if you asked, he's going to fix it up one day
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Rusted racer - 08/30/13 10:36 AM

Battery in the trunk explode? Luckily it's a Mustang. They make every part you can think of to fix it.

Jeff
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Rusted racer - 08/30/13 11:29 AM

You'd have a real good head start on weight reduction anyway.
Posted By: mopar_man

Re: Rusted racer - 08/30/13 12:10 PM

And it's not just a standard Mustang , Its a GT or better .

So sad to see it going into the ground even though it's a Ferd
Posted By: imfixinmopars426

Re: Rusted racer - 08/30/13 08:13 PM

looks like a acid type was dupped on the top of the car? very strange areas are rusted,and through....very cool...wonder whats under the hood??? maybe a full tilt small block with all the cobra stuff...webers and all! keep searching for the owner! at least for a detailed look w/ lots of pics...please!...I have a solf spot for early ford racers,being my cousin is dave lyall of Detroit.as a kid my dad would take us to Detroit dragway to see him race...we have some really cool pics of him,his crew beside his car...Detroit racers in the 60's will know his name...he had the full fiberglass super stock car.very cool.this mustang brings back old memories...
Posted By: topside

Re: Rusted racer - 08/31/13 12:59 AM

At first glance I thought it was a CJ428 car - which would be especially tragic - but it's a '67.
Nowadays the whole shell is available, but seems a little preventative care should have been done; maybe there's an even more sad human story there.
Posted By: headhunter

Re: Rusted racer - 08/31/13 03:08 AM

could still be a 390 car

Re: Rusted racer - 09/03/13 01:24 AM

Quote:

looks like a acid type was dupped on the top of the car? very strange areas are rusted,and through....very cool...wonder whats under the hood??? maybe a full tilt small block with all the cobra stuff...webers and all! keep searching for the owner! at least for a detailed look w/ lots of pics...please!...I have a solf spot for early ford racers,being my cousin is dave lyall of Detroit.as a kid my dad would take us to Detroit dragway to see him race...we have some really cool pics of him,his crew beside his car...Detroit racers in the 60's will know his name...he had the full fiberglass super stock car.very cool.this mustang brings back old memories...

I will try to stop by and see if the ownwer can be tracked down. Would be interesting to get the whole story.....

Randy
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Rusted racer - 09/03/13 02:47 PM

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,while it melts back into the ground

Cryin shame!!
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Rusted racer - 09/03/13 03:03 PM

Seeing as the Dodge Brothers were among the early investors in the Ford Motor Company , I think we can all see this for the tragedy it is.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Rusted racer - 09/03/13 06:16 PM

Just FYI I bought a car that had rusted through, roof, hood, deck lid, and radiator support, but, the floor and quarter panels were solid!
I always thought that it had been covered with plastic and the condensation caused this. Problem with this Mustang is there has been water going into the trunk for some time.
What a shame. It does beg for a closer look.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Rusted racer - 09/03/13 06:37 PM

being an old Ford guy from way back in the day, that is just a sad sight, but like said before they make every panel known to man for those cars so there is hope unless it go's thru the crusher.
Posted By: fasteddie

Re: Rusted racer - 09/03/13 11:39 PM

If it is in a paid storage facility someone is still paying to keep it there. In most facilities if the rent is not paid the item will be sold at auction. At the facility where I worked in the '90s, It only took about 3 months of no rent paid for the item to be sold.
© 2024 Moparts Forums