Moparts

BB screw in freeze plugs

Posted By: Von

BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/26/13 05:19 AM

On a stock RB block, who has done it?

Any links to the plugs? Ive been told they need to be a shallow plug to keep from bottoming on the cylinders?

1.25 npt tap?

Thanks for any help.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/26/13 05:54 AM

I've seen a regular freeze plug put in then the block around the freeze up was tapped in 3 places aroubd the plug and had fasteners with a washer under the head to hold plug in.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/26/13 02:57 PM

I don't think that screw in plugs are NPT , if there were you'd have a tough time tapping them without some special taps because of how far the tap needs to go in to get the correct taper.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/26/13 03:15 PM

I always just wire wheel the outside edge and JB-weld them to the block. I had one shoot out one time in 2nd gear and almost wrecked.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/26/13 03:17 PM

Bob I think I remember that . Norwalk ?

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/26/13 04:20 PM

Quote:

I always just wire wheel the outside edge and JB-weld them to the block. I had one shoot out one time in 2nd gear and almost wrecked.

How does the JB hold up ? I have some to install in a block that some donkey gouged the holes up pretty good when removing them during the rebuild before this one

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/27/13 08:20 PM

Quote:

I don't think that screw in plugs are NPT , if there were you'd have a tough time tapping them without some special taps because of how far the tap needs to go in to get the correct taper.

I wonder what thread they are?
Posted By: TrWaters

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/27/13 08:37 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8_tsvQSq6k

I know its a Ford, but you get the idea. From what I understand, you would need 2 taps. One to start with, and then one that would need to be shortened, to finish the more shallow holes.

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/27/13 09:00 PM

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8_tsvQSq6k

I know its a Ford, but you get the idea.

Thanks Tom ...

I stand corrected ... surprise ??

They are NPT , those taps aren't cheap and it looks like you need 2 , one to start the job and a second that is cut down so you can properly tap the hole so the plug is the correct depth. I have a 383 that someone gouged up the plug holes , that would be the way to fix them ...

Just checked Mcmaster , 1 1/2 -11 pipe tap is about 175 and a shallow hole tap is another 217 ...

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/27/13 09:07 PM

Quote:

Just checked Mcmaster , 1 1/2 -11 pipe tap is about 175 and a shallow hole tap is another 217 ...

A guy on the Bag has the standard tap for 10 bucks. It is used with a few chipped teeth, but will work for this job.

Also, I do believe for a Mope you need a 1.25 NPT tap, not a 1.5?

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/28/13 01:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

A guy on the Bag has the standard tap for 10 bucks. It is used with a few chipped teeth, but will work for this job.

Also, I do believe for a Mope you need a 1.25 NPT tap, not a 1.5?

I was just coming to update this .

The holes in the side of the block are 1.625 , 1 1/4 tap needs a 1.5 hole , 1 1/2 half tap needs a 1.75 hole .

I have both taps here at work , the 1 1/4 isn't going to work so you have to use a 1 1/2 after you open up the holes in the block.

Let us know how it works out ...

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/28/13 04:36 AM

Quote:

The holes in the side of the block are 1.625 , 1 1/4 tap needs a 1.5 hole , 1 1/2 half tap needs a 1.75 hole .

I have both taps here at work , the 1 1/4 isn't going to work so you have to use a 1 1/2 after you open up the holes in the block.

I was going off of this chart. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/npt-national-pipe-taper-threads-d_750.html

I thought the nominal OD of 1.660 meant the 1.25 tap should work?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/28/13 05:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I was going off of this chart. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/npt-national-pipe-taper-threads-d_750.html

I thought the nominal OD of 1.660 meant the 1.25 tap should work?

You need to look at the tap drill size so you can
get close to the number of threads in.. in your case
of 1 1/4 NPT its a 1.5 tap drill

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/28/13 05:14 AM

Quote:

Any links to the plugs? Ive been told they need to be a shallow plug to keep from bottoming on the cylinders?

1.25 npt tap?

Thanks for any help.

This is what I use on some of my blocks that have
had issues... never had one of these come out...
I put Permitex on it and tighten it up

Attached picture 7830299-FreezePlugs001.jpg

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/28/13 05:16 AM

Another view

Attached picture 7830302-FreezePlugs002.jpg
Posted By: Jerry

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/28/13 12:12 PM

is there a rule mandating screw in freeze plugs? I seem to have some seapage around mine as i'm inspecting the block getting ready to reinstall.

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/28/13 12:24 PM

Quote:

is there a rule mandating screw in freeze plugs? I seem to have some seapage around mine as i'm inspecting the block getting ready to reinstall.

I've never seen one

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/28/13 05:00 PM

Quote:

I see they have one that is 1.625 and expands to 1.655. I guess that is the plug I need? f

How deep do the plugs sit in the block? I ask because the plug I need to fix is behind the starter. Im afraid there may be interference between starter and the head of the bolt.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/28/13 06:58 PM

No doubt some racers have been doing the screw in freeze plug thing for years. I bought the books, thought it looked really trick.

So I was going to do this, back in the early '80s. It was a chevy 283, boy did I learn a lot on that engine. For example, the length of main studs have to work with the crank main journal size! (the 283's 2.30" mains didn't work with ARP main studs for a 2.45" main)

Anyway, the mechanical foreman was my buddy and regardless of cost, he gave me the right size pipe tap. I took it home, stuck it into the hole, and ran right into the backsides of the cylinders. Bummer! What do we do now? As I didn't want to admit defeat, I put the tap in my rollaround toolbox and forgot about it. It's still there.

Those racecar shops must have special short taps for threading. I went back to the brass cup plugs and put my "tricking out" expertise to use somewhere else.

That maybe when I bought my Craftsman die grinder. Now THAT was a good investment!

R.

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/28/13 07:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I see they have one that is 1.625 and expands to 1.655. I guess that is the plug I need? f

How deep do the plugs sit in the block? I ask because the plug I need to fix is behind the starter. Im afraid there may be interference between starter and the head of the bolt.

The nut does stick out some... but to be honest I
havent ever had one hit the starter.. I do use the
mini Chrysler production starter

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/28/13 11:08 PM

Quote:

Those racecar shops must have special short taps for threading. I went back to the brass cup plugs and put my "tricking out" expertise to use somewhere else.

R.

The video above talks about shortening a tap , I have done that but not on something that big.

Mcmaster lists a tap for shallow holes so they do make them , they just are not cheap.

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/29/13 12:20 AM

Quote:

Had Osmileys order me 2 today.

What color of permatex do you use?

I have a robbmc starter, so hopefully it clears.

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/29/13 12:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Had Osmileys order me 2 today.

What color of permatex do you use?

I have a robbmc starter, so hopefully it clears.

I use the good old red Permatex... also put a bead
of it on the overlapping lip just in case
Posted By: colt340

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/29/13 02:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

1.25 npt tap?

Thanks for any help.

Mr P what is the name of the company that makes the freeze plug with the nut
in the center?

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/29/13 02:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1.25 npt tap?

Thanks for any help.

Mr P what is the name of the company that makes the freeze plug with the nut
in the center?

I'll have to look tomorrow but its the standard company
that makes most of them... I have posted the name
and P/N in other post but I forget right now
Posted By: Clanton

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/29/13 03:11 AM

I had to re tap my screw in plugs and cut off 4 threads of the tap to clear the cylinder wall.I posted about it here a few yrs ago when I did it.
Posted By: jcc

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/29/13 03:16 AM

My alum SB's are not pipe thread, not sure of thread size, use a standard thread with o ring plug.

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/29/13 03:26 AM

Quote:

My alum SB's are not pipe thread, not sure of thread size, use a standard thread with o ring plug.

Thats what my alum sprint car block used

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/29/13 03:33 AM

Quote:

Bob I think I remember that . Norwalk ?

Yes Norwalk 2010.

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/29/13 03:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

How does the JB hold up ? I have some to install in a block that some donkey gouged the holes up pretty good when removing them during the rebuild before this one

Seems to hold up fine, mine have always been installed by someone else with some kind of sealer, then after my incident on the track I started grinding the block and outside edge of the freeze plugs down to bare metal and then putting a bead of JB-Weld around the perimeter of each freeze plug. May not be the best way but it makes me feel better that they're probably not gonna shoot out of the block at over 100 mph.

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/29/13 04:56 AM

Quote:

what is the name of the company that makes the freeze plug with the nut
in the center?

The ones I ordered were Dorman. PN 02483
Posted By: colt340

Re: BB screw in freeze plugs - 08/30/13 02:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

what is the name of the company that makes the freeze plug with the nut
in the center?