Moparts

Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!!

Posted By: dizuster

Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/25/13 01:40 PM

Well still at the Norwalk NMCA race today, but thought I'd put a quick post up for an update.

Headed here Friday with a plan to go for the gusto and run the true street 10.0 class. Last time out the car ran 10.27@132 on 16psi with a 1.53 60ft. Knowing it was gonna need more I put the 20psi tune up in it and headed for the track.

I had a REALLY hard time getting the car to hook. Just kept ripping the tires right at the TB realese. Finally on the 7th pass I had the thing backed all the way down to 7psi and 3200 on the two step.

Finally hooked with a anemic 1.61 60ft, but let me tell you the 20psi almost made up for it down track.

10.08@136

Sooooo close!!!! Really fast in the middle, just shy of 110mph at the 1/8th.

Went back up for another run with a bit more boost on the starting line hoping for a 9.99. Well the driver (me) made a boo boo.... when I staged the car it wasn't quite in far enough so I had to bump the trans brake once to roll it in. Which was fine EXCEPT for the fact that when I did that the boost controller thought I was starting the run. So while I was waiting for the lights to come down, the boost controller had started to ramp the boost in from 8psi to 20psi. So by the time I let go if the button it was at 20psi of boost!

Well the picture pretty much says it all...lol

That was the end of my weekend. No 9 sec time slip for now.

Attached picture 7826536-614-1.jpg
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/25/13 02:03 PM

So close! Work on your short time. You are making plenty of power. Get some very good shocks all the way around and have the valving on the rears modified for a dr car. Trust me, it helps!

Kinda like you, now that i have 1/2 of the stuff done, im now going to increase my boost like you did. we will see each other in the 9's very soon!
Posted By: racerx

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/25/13 02:51 PM

What rearend was this?Looks like u r making some power
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/25/13 03:15 PM

Bummer you broke your 8 3/4.... it must have tried
to hook to tear the pinion in half
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/25/13 03:19 PM

getting there... at least it didn't comne up thru the floor and mess a bunch of stuff up.
Posted By: drifter

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/25/13 03:34 PM

is there a chance the sprag might be hurt in the trans from this?
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/25/13 03:41 PM

Quote:

is there a chance the sprag might be hurt in the trans from this?

oh yeah!
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/25/13 03:41 PM

That thing is making some snot! How does your boost control work in conjunction with the TB? Time for a Dana?
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/25/13 04:41 PM

Quote:

That thing is making some snot! How does your boost control work in conjunction with the TB? Time for a Dana?

X2

And that thing is really trying to run....I want one.

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/25/13 04:50 PM

Dead stock 8 3/4" with a used 3.23 gear (742 case). Can't blame it for not holding up!

TB release triggers the boost ramp to start. I had it set on this pass to go from 8psi to 20psi in 0.7s.

Sprag could definitely be hurt, that's why I didn't try to fix it at the track. I had a buddy coming sat. morning that could have brought a gear, but I didn't want to chance the trans.
Posted By: all spooled up

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/26/13 12:11 AM

wow thaTS MAKING SOME steam
what u going do for a rear end now
i was just asking about you and the turbo taxi
i got mine back together got boost now still has some carb problems

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/26/13 01:58 AM

I'm actually going to put the the 2.76 gear back in it. Talked to lots of NMCA drag radial guys this weekend and they all said its got way too much starting line ratio.
Posted By: sbsatellite

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/26/13 02:53 AM

2.76....I guess I need to off my 4.57 gear
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/26/13 12:51 PM

Holy Cannoli you did a whale of a job on that pinion

Sorry for the breakage, hope you get it back together without too much effort and expense
Posted By: furious70

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/26/13 07:06 PM

20psi on the 2.76 would be a loooooooooooong lever arm! (I know you won't do that again on purpose)
Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/26/13 07:12 PM

That thing is sweeeett Scott!!

9's are just around the corner, even with the 2.76!!

Casey

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/26/13 07:31 PM

I'd think the 2.76 would be worse...meaning under more stress than the 3.23's...

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/26/13 07:57 PM

2.76 will definitely be harder on the pinion, but I don't think any 8 3/4" is going to survive the accidental 20psi launch!

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/26/13 08:53 PM

You might want to up grade to a nodular unit center section and a nice ring/pinion set. I'm going to backbrace my 8.75 before I hit it w/ a 150 shot.

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/26/13 10:02 PM

The lowest aftermarket ring and pinion made anymore is 3.55
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/27/13 02:45 PM

Sorry about the hurt parts, but that's awesome!
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/27/13 03:51 PM

Call the Doctor Diff, he might have some rare ring and pinions hanging around. Plus he knows how to built a mean rear diff.

Good luck and congrats. That thing is hauling the Mess hall mail.

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/27/13 03:59 PM

Quote:

The lowest aftermarket ring and pinion made anymore is 3.55

just go to a taller tire the... or a (I'll whisper) a 9"
Posted By: HMcCandless_Jr

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/27/13 04:32 PM

if it ever hooks up going that fast it will break the 8-3/4, invest in a Dana you will save money, also make sure it didn't break the sprag in the trans when it freewheeled, if so the tranny will only make one more pass.

Herb Jr

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/27/13 05:01 PM

Trans is coming out before it makes another pass. It's already killed one sprag (even with an LBA valve body), so hopefully the new super sprag held.

I actaully have a Dana, but it's a 3.55 which is the lowest.

I'm sort of at a cross road right now. The problem is that this thing already has it's tounge hanging out at the finish line because it's under cammed. So I could really put more cam in it, and use the 3.55 gear.

But the car only has a roll bar (no roll cage). So do I really need more power/traction being that I've already gone 10.08?

If so I could put the Dana in it, new cam, and a few more bars (plus window net), then get my license, etc... but in the end it's still a cast crank, stock rod, stock block motor... so how much harder am I really going to push this thing.

I'm debating right now what to do. I may sell the motor (and my '71 duster project), and build a new turbo hemi to really see how quick we can make this ol' heap. Or I may sell the whole car and build the new turbo Gen 3 hemi for my '71 duster that I have.

Just trying to think it through... for now it's just going to get the 2.76 and get back to racing the rest of this year with my ol' man (dvw).
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/27/13 05:06 PM

There is a little more to the 9 sec club than the net and some bars. We have been getting our Duster ready, and did all that plus we need to add a gas pedal tow hook padding on all bars that your helmet could hit, solid rod for the throttle, still need a diaper, got all the trans sheild, -5SFI suit, bunch of stuff...So its adds cost, and it can make sitting in the car that much less enjoyable. Its a decision you have to make....Sweet little turbo motor you got there though. We have a 512 running the same ET..on pump gas.

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/27/13 05:10 PM

agreed. That combo is sweet and maintenance easy with the exception of the now weak link 8-3/4.

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/27/13 05:10 PM

Quote:

Trans is coming out before it makes another pass. It's already killed one sprag (even with an LBA valve body), so hopefully the new super sprag held.

I actaully have a Dana, but it's a 3.55 which is the lowest.

I'm sort of at a cross road right now. The problem is that this thing already has it's tounge hanging out at the finish line because it's under cammed. So I could really put more cam in it, and use the 3.55 gear.

But the car only has a roll bar (no roll cage). So do I really need more power/traction being that I've already gone 10.08?

If so I could put the Dana in it, new cam, and a few more bars (plus window net), then get my license, etc... but in the end it's still a cast crank, stock rod, stock block motor... so how much harder am I really going to push this thing.

I'm debating right now what to do. I may sell the motor (and my '71 duster project), and build a new turbo hemi to really see how quick we can make this ol' heap. Or I may sell the whole car and build the new turbo Gen 3 hemi for my '71 duster that I have.

Just trying to think it through... for now it's just going to get the 2.76 and get back to racing the rest of this year with my ol' man (dvw).

Scott... run what you have... going sub 10.0 isnt all
that great.. it cost lots of money and a PITA for
all of the crap... I had a lot more fun when I was
running 10.0

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/27/13 05:22 PM

Dizuster

A friend of mine here in NY has a NOS 489 case 7290 yoke 276 sure grip Pumpkin for sale. If you are interested, I'll get you in touch with him.

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/27/13 05:41 PM

fullmetal... thanks for the offer. I already have the 2.76 gear that is already shimmed up and ready to go. Just need to swap it back into this case and set the backlash.

As for the 10.0 comments... I know it's a PITA that's why I'm hesitant just to push this motor a little more for 9.70 or something.

If I'm going to go for it, I'll build a bigger single turbo Gen 3 hemi and push the 8.50 cage rule...
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/27/13 06:24 PM

Note to self, 8 3/4 is good to 10.09 in 3500 lb car......

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/27/13 06:35 PM

lol... 3700lb car...

Well that's not true. It had made about 7 passes before that, so the fuel tank wasn't full, so maybe 3660...
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/27/13 07:18 PM

Been following your post and this is some awesome stuff for sure minus the carnage of course. Definately considered a power adder but not any time soon................keep up the good work.

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/27/13 07:48 PM

Quote:

Been following your post and this is some awesome stuff for sure minus the carnage of course. Definately considered a power adder but not any time soon................keep up the good work.

Thump can you imagine what 100 more cubic inches could do???
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/27/13 07:51 PM

Yes I can............ He`s already killin the 8 3/4 and mines on edge I`m sure right now...........but, definately tempting.......
Posted By: turbobitt

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/27/13 11:50 PM

Looks like you had some grip to break the pinion. BTW- regardless of whatever gear ratio you throw at it just keep in mind that it broke the pinion before any torque multiplication through the diff gears , meaning that any gear you use will be susceptible to this failure.
I would look into a steel front planetary if you don't already have one.
Allan G.
Posted By: danbob

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/28/13 01:50 AM

That thing is cool. Like Mr. P said, running sub 10s is a pain.
Easy to maintain, fast and fun. You have the best of both worlds.
If it were mine, a 9" would find its way in there. Good luck.
P.S. What kind of gas mileage does it get??

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/28/13 02:11 PM

Quote:

That thing is cool. Like Mr. P said, running sub 10s is a pain.
Easy to maintain, fast and fun. You have the best of both worlds.
If it were mine, a 9" would find its way in there. Good luck.
P.S. What kind of gas mileage does it get??

the cool thing about it is that he can dial it up and run a few 9's then back it off and stay in the legal 10's or whatever your car will "tech" to.

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/28/13 03:25 PM

True that to the most.
The Nines are not benign.
No dents from the tens on your wallet. LOL.

or................. just lighten that pup up and go to any race and say whatsup?
Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/28/13 10:24 PM

That is a WAY cool HotRod

On the ratio thing,,,,could you launch in 2nd gear?
Seems I`ve read some others have done this too,don`t know what goes with it terms of do`s/don`ts

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/28/13 10:59 PM

It is pretty amazing that you can just dial this thing up and down. I made a pass on 10psi right before the 10.08 pass. It went 11.22@121mph, smooth as silk. Crazy that the same car can run a full second faster with a few key strokes on the laptop.

I would love to try leaving in 2nd, but the trans brake only works in 1st gear.
Posted By: D-50

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/29/13 01:16 AM

Dizuster, What were your short times? We only run 1/8 mile down here in the south and I cannot relate to the 1/4 mile times. I have a 360/380 hp crate motor I would like to experiment with the turbo deal. THANKS.....
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/29/13 01:19 AM

http://cochise.uia.net/pkelley2/eight-to-quarter.htm

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/29/13 01:43 AM

Quote:

You really cant use those tables with a turbo car..
they tend to be soft on the front half but come on big
on the top end

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/29/13 01:58 AM

Quote:

According to that site my truck runs around 9.90 in the 1/4. I had know idea. Thanks...

Attached picture 7831387-2013-07-0220.12.28(Small).jpg

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/29/13 02:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

According to that site my truck runs around 9.90 in the 1/4. I had know idea. Thanks...

As a good multiplier for a N/A set up... multiply
your 1/8 by 1.57

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/29/13 02:32 AM

6.49@110mph.

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/29/13 02:52 AM

Thanks, if you could get your 60 ft. better you would run nines easy. I know turbo cars run better on the top end. You should look into getting it a little lighter it would really pick up.I know that is easier said than done.Thanks..
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/29/13 03:58 AM

How about a Dana 61? They used those in the first gen Cummins trucks equipped with a 727, they had a 3.07 ratio
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/29/13 04:38 AM

I thought Ford had a 3.33 gear they used in Dana 60's in half ton Vans at some point to.
Posted By: furious70

Re: Soooooo close to the 9's!!!!! - 08/29/13 07:01 PM

Quote:

How about a Dana 61? They used those in the first gen Cummins trucks equipped with a 727, they had a 3.07 ratio

finding one of those would be difficult these days, but if you could find one of those early cummins/727 trucks you could rob the rear end and still probably sell it for what you paid, and most people want those trucks for conversion uses.
© 2024 Moparts Forums