Moparts

Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud

Posted By: cgall

Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud - 08/24/13 05:28 PM

Pulled front wheels to mount new frontrunners for this weekend, one stud was broken and the others are rusted! These are 5 years old.

Re: Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud - 08/24/13 05:30 PM

The lugs are still chrome in the threads, they will clean up.

Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud - 08/24/13 05:31 PM

over torque?

Re: Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud - 08/24/13 05:32 PM

Broken stud looks like it rusted thru. Ordered 10 ARP screw-in studs yesterday, but car is parked this weekend.

Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud - 08/24/13 05:51 PM

Hmmm...The good ole rust belt. Anti Seize is your friend. What were those torqued to? Cannot imagine it rusted through, more likely a crack was formed then rust took over. Did that break right at the flange? How tight are those studs in the hub??
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud - 08/24/13 05:52 PM

that looks like the work of an impact gun

Re: Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud - 08/24/13 06:08 PM

I use impact to remove, but hand tighten and torque to 90 ft. lbs. The broken one came out without effort and the other 9 lugs came off with normal resistance. the other side is rusted just as bad.

I replaced my rear studs in 1997 and they still look brand new.

Re: Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud - 08/24/13 06:12 PM

Al, the stud broke at the end of the shank of the lug, about 1/4" from the face of the hub. The jam nut is locktighted on, the hub is aluminum. Studs were still tight in hub.
Posted By: sam64

Re: Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud - 08/24/13 07:08 PM

aluminum and steel don't like each other,be sure and put never seize on new studs to keep rust away.i just put new wheel studs on my faster car just for peace of mind,12 years of high ten second passes probably didn't hurt them.
Posted By: 72swgnr

Re: Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud - 08/24/13 07:17 PM

you must use stainless fastening devices when working with aluminum (or aluminum) as stated regular steel and aluminum dont mix. corrosion starts to happen almost immediately.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud - 08/24/13 09:28 PM

Quote:

Pulled front wheels to mount new frontrunners for this weekend, one stud was broken and the others are rusted! These are 5 years old.

Move to Cally and you won`t have those problems..........
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud - 08/24/13 10:38 PM

Wow! my 01 pickup doesn't have that much rust on the hubs!! ....what thump said!!

corrosion at the point of disimilar metals...
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud - 08/24/13 10:43 PM

I always put just a little oil on my studs anytime my wheels are off.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud - 08/24/13 10:52 PM

Quote:

you must use stainless fastening devices when working with aluminum (or aluminum) as stated regular steel and aluminum dont mix. corrosion starts to happen almost immediately.

That is a common very wrong misconception. Actually SS and alum have a greater corrosion potential, mainly of the alum.

To Op, a single sheared stud like pictured is likely only caused by being defective or previously partly over tighten, and time/fatigue/corrosion finished the task, or operated when tight and all the others are loose.

Re: Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud - 08/24/13 11:05 PM

I think this is from bad steel! I have driven old Mopars thru some of the hardest winters in Ohio and have never seen anything like this. Studs should be heat treated and the black oxide should prevent surface rust for a lifetime, even when installed in an aluminum hub.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud - 08/24/13 11:22 PM

lucky you found this before anything major happened. unlike a racer at our track who had this mishap. unbelievable photography.

Attached picture 7826088-287189_428990173813268_321390745_o.jpg
Posted By: jcc

Re: Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud - 08/25/13 02:27 AM

Great, now we need lug nut tethers.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud - 08/25/13 03:51 AM

Quote:

Great, now we need lug nut tethers.

I can't believe you beat me to that....
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud - 08/25/13 04:23 AM

I had a set of those break in 10 street miles. The company that sold the axles quickly replaced them claiming poor heat treat. The replacements never were a problem but my thinking is the design is poor at best. All axles I order I ask for a press in stud. My studs were not rusty like yours and I always use lube on the threads but have been told not to do so. I'd guess(only that) your lug nut seized on install and when you hit it to remove it the stud broke.
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud - 08/25/13 07:22 PM

Quote:

I think this is from bad steel! I have driven old Mopars thru some of the hardest winters in Ohio and have never seen anything like this. Studs should be heat treated and the black oxide should prevent surface rust for a lifetime, even when installed in an aluminum hub.

Yup, replace them all

I've heard stories of rusted nuts on this site before, but never believed it till now.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud - 08/25/13 07:52 PM

I recommend staying away from Moroso wheel studs. They have some kinda coating that flakes off and clogs the lugnut threads up. I had this happen and had to break three studs so I could get my front Weld superlites off. I never experimented with trying to wire wheel that coating off before hand but its there and it blows.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud - 08/25/13 08:38 PM

Good deal on replacing them with all new ARP or a good quality stud made for the job.

I think your problem stemmed from electrolysis as I see corrosion between the hub and studs and a cheaper made stud?

Use lot's of anti seize when you put the new ones in. May want to consider replacing the lug nuts to be 100%. I know, cost money. Not sure on the lugs, I'd want them to spin on by hand and be snug with no looseness on the new studs.

Here's hoping you can get the old ones out with no problem. Clean all the rust off the studs first so you don't mess up the hubs taking them out. Good luck and good catch.
Posted By: oldtimer5151

Re: Yikes! Look at This Broken Wheel Stud - 08/25/13 08:45 PM

© 2024 Moparts Forums