Moparts

my E-85 experience.

Posted By: dartman366

my E-85 experience. - 08/21/13 06:35 PM

I like it, car likes it, but boy is it thirsty, started out friday afternoon at the Curt George Memorial and had some issues with it wanting to leave the line but after AJ and I worked on getting everything dialed it started to come around, what we didn't realize was how much squirter this motor wanted so we made amajor size change and eliminated the starting line bog/stumble,,,just in time for first elimination on Saturday,,needless to say I broke out BIG time and called it a day, I had dialed it at a 10.22 not knowing what it was going to do and the car came to life and clicked off a 10.16 at 128mph sunday was a little better with the time trial coming in at a 10.17@127 and settled in around 10.19 for the rest of the day,,the jetting is still way fat as it didn't build any heat down track and the idle circuit is fat also cause it takes forever to warm up and the fumes are heavy with the motor loading up slightly and takes a while to clean out in the burnout box, we made a lot of progress and with a little more work this thing is going to run great,,it didn't do too bad as I got down to 8 car's and brought home some money, thanks go to AJCasini for all the support and tech advise, I learned alot over the weekend and he was right by my side to walk me thru all this.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/21/13 06:38 PM

good to hear, especailly for those who might want to go boosted in the future.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/21/13 08:50 PM

What or who,s carb did you switch to?. I agree about that track, its a little slow compared to others. Thompson Raceway is a little fast compared to others.

Glad you had a good day
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/21/13 11:47 PM

If it is 2 slow he was flying then !
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/22/13 01:35 AM

I'm not too sure about the 2 slower at that track ---- I ran the same times there as I did in Bowling Green 2 weeks ago

Russ
Posted By: ajcasini

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/22/13 02:18 AM

The track is a bit slower around .1, goes uphill after the 1/8 mile. Been racing there many years and normally that difference from QCR to Pittsburgh.

Bill I am glad we could get ya going and put some money in your pocket on Sunday. Only better things to come as we fine tune that small block monster.

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/22/13 07:34 AM

Quote:

If it is 2 slow he was flying then !

I am sure Norwalk will tell the real story, going after a bleed set and MORE FUEL JUGS in the morning, I am planning on doing a little tuning at pacemakers on Sat and get it dialed closer, really don't want to eat up a bunch of passes at Norwalk cause I plan on taking some of their money too. as far as a slow track, I know that my 1/8 mile times were off a full tenth and my MPH was down about 3-4 mph in the 1/4 mile.
Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/22/13 06:15 PM

Our MPH was down 1-2, but the car ran relatively the same as it did at Bowling Green like Russ said, actually went a tad quicker.

Good to see you are getting the E85 figured out Bill!

Casey

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/22/13 07:05 PM

Quote:

Our MPH was down 1-2, but the car ran relatively the same as it did at Bowling Green like Russ said, actually went a tad quicker.

Good to see you are getting the E85 figured out Bill!

Casey

I am sure some of it was the track but I believe most of it was in the tune, I plan on having that fixed soon, between the house remodeling and carpet showing up next tuesday I have been a busy,busy boy, with all the things I have on my plate right now I need a turky platter to hold it all.
Posted By: 69dart

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/22/13 10:43 PM

We were slow 2-3 MPH and .05-.08 too.
Posted By: bwhackd34

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/23/13 12:35 AM

buy an A/F guage, put in an O2 sensor and forget about "guessing" what it wants

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/23/13 07:27 AM

Quote:

maybe santa claus is listening.
Posted By: dodgem_doug

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/24/13 11:12 PM

You'll get there with the E85. As for the times, car ran the same Friday as it did the week before in Columbus. The converter went south Friday night so I'm going to be trying to dial it in at Norwalk also.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/24/13 11:17 PM

Quote:

what a/f do you shoot for with e85? I know it isn't the 12.1 most guys shoot for with gas.

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/25/13 03:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

what a/f do you shoot for with e85? I know it isn't the 12.1 most guys shoot for with gas.

I know using a EGT sensor will work too.
Posted By: 69dart

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/26/13 02:06 AM

There is no need for an A/F Gauge to get your E85 tune-up dialed in. I was talked into getting one and IMHO I thought it was a total waste of money. Most old school racers can dial their cars in just fine with a few test n tune runs down the track. Follow AJ's advise and get it to build a little heat going downtrack and be done with it. Save your money for something else.
Posted By: dmking

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/26/13 03:20 AM

getting a good wideband will give you more info than just afr tuneing.
i have a wego3 it showed me that the scoop was making my car ritchen up a lot making jetting for plug color at the end not showing you everything..
plus converter data. you can do it old skool but the wego3 can take some time away on guessing and hit a setup fast.

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/26/13 04:18 AM

Quote:

There is no need for an A/F Gauge to get your E85 tune-up dialed in. I was talked into getting one and IMHO I thought it was a total waste of money. Most old school racers can dial their cars in just fine with a few test n tune runs down the track. Follow AJ's advise and get it to build a little heat going downtrack and be done with it. Save your money for something else.

I was going to go the the local track on Saturday thinking I had the weekend off,,well they changed that and I was scheduled Sunday, and I had some things to finish up with the house remod before the carpet guys show up this Tuesday, so I never got to play this weekend, definately need to jet it down and change the idle bleeds to thin it out,, after this coming week is over and the house is put back together then I can concentrate on the car and take it to Norwalk and see what happens.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/26/13 04:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Forget the A/F meter on a race car... you know to tune
for the fastest MPH... then if you want you can take
a A/F reading... there is no magic number to tune to
Posted By: tboomer

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/26/13 01:01 PM

Bill....I am glad it is working for you. AJ sure knows his stuff! Good luck!

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/26/13 05:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If I were to do anything I think I would concider a pyrometer and tune by egt, but untill then I am going to tune by coolant temp rise and like you said,,MPH, if I were running the snot out of it every weekend then I may be more enclined to get into the o2 and A/F sensors and such, but that just not in the budget at this time.

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/26/13 09:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If I were to do anything I think I would concider a pyrometer and tune by egt, but untill then I am going to tune by coolant temp rise and like you said,,MPH, if I were running the snot out of it every weekend then I may be more enclined to get into the o2 and A/F sensors and such, but that just not in the budget at this time.

Bill...when you get it tuned in for best MPH you
will most likely see a 20 degree temp increase in
the 1/4

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/26/13 09:35 PM

Mr P most of the tuning i have done with an O2 watching H2O temp shows 8-12* to be the right tune. On the combos I have logged O2 on this puts lambda at .80-.82 which is where you want to be for a quick consistent tune.

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/26/13 09:42 PM

Quote:

Mr P most of the tuning i have done with an O2 watching H2O temp shows 8-12* to be the right tune. On the combos I have logged O2 on this puts lambda at .80-.82 which is where you want to be for a quick consistent tune.

What temp do you leave at... I think I was leaving
a bit too cold... I should have been near 180-185

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/26/13 10:16 PM

Most cars like 170. I have run mine as low 160 and high as 180 with no real performance change.

Normal runs in the heat of summer leave 170 go through a tick above 180. In the spring and call leave at 170 go through a tick below 180.

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/26/13 10:26 PM

Quote:

Most cars like 170. I have run mine as low 160 and high as 180 with no real performance change.

Normal runs in the heat of summer leave 170 go through a tick above 180. In the spring and call leave at 170 go through a tick below 180.

Thats why I said 20* increase... I was leaving at 160*
and seen 180* at the end.. most of the E-85 guys I've
talked with found that they made more power leaving
at a 180* temp... some even at 185*... I never tried
the higher temps myself but plan on trying it

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/26/13 11:10 PM

Gotcha.

I haven't seen much performance running it really hot before. Normally no change or a hair slower. The hottest I think I could make mine with no fan running was about 185.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/26/13 11:17 PM

I'm usually doing my burnout without the fan off to bring it up to 165ish. I've never seen an increase in power running hotter or colder than that.
Posted By: dizuster

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/27/13 02:21 AM

There is no way in hell that I would tune a/f off of water temp change. All radiator sizes are different, fans are different, water pumps flow different. How could anyone possibly do that from car to car?

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/27/13 02:36 AM

The water temp method is effective for some. Others it may not work. I use it as a baseline to keep things safe. You still use normal tuning methods, plugs, MPH, split times, feel of the car.

Guys were tuning cars long before a/f gauges and it can still be done today.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/27/13 02:45 AM

Been tuning cars by the seat of my pants for 30 years. works just fine

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/27/13 03:23 AM

Quote:

Been tuning cars by the seat of my pants for 30 years. works just fine

I have all of the fancy dandle stuff but I use it about
10% of the time... my A/F meter is used for cruise
A/F only.. I tune the race car on the MPH... I never
seen the need for it on the race car... I set the idle
for where it idles best and WOT on the MPG
Posted By: jyrki

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/27/13 06:07 AM

Just switched to E85, and now it seems that there is excessive smoking present. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPzIop6LpwA&feature=youtu.be

Re: my E-85 experience. - 08/27/13 07:26 AM

Quote:

Just switched to E85, and now it seems that there is excessive smoking present. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPzIop6LpwA&feature=youtu.be

yeah you better fix that before you pizz off the neighbors.
© 2024 Moparts Forums