Moparts

F.A.S.T. Weight reduction?

Posted By: ns1aar

F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/19/13 02:42 AM

Is 2-3 pounds off the firewall worth the effort?
Posted By: rowin4

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/19/13 02:47 AM

As long as it isn't the master cylinder But I guess you could go from cast iron to the plastic one and save that much.
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/19/13 02:54 AM

I would think any and all weight savings add up. Even removing some springs from the seat frames. Just because it has to look stock doesn't mean it has to be. Gutted radios, smaller battery hidden in larger case, aluminum brackets, drill holes in the doors and rear deck, thy will be covered by door panels, and package tray. The lighter you make it, the more weight you can add in the rear to make minimum weight and help with launch and traction.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/19/13 03:01 AM

Just ask the Jenni Craig of MOPARTS! That would be the mad weight loss scientist FULLMETALJACKET
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/19/13 03:22 AM

You didn't mention a price. Weight lost is a good thing, especially on the front.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/19/13 04:02 AM

Some one called my name? I smelled the word Lightweight a mile away and came runnin'.

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/20/13 12:58 AM

Like said on another thread here, the first couple to a few hundred pounds come off free for the most part, but not all. The lower level micro ounce counting is where a few dollars may fall but well worth it.
In the long run, it's likely to break less and carry the mail with less.

Wish I had the time to fiddle with a F.A.S.T project, I hardly have any time for my regular street thug now. Those guys are a cool bunch of Alley cats with Lab coats.

Maybe I'll start a S.W.A.T racing series (Special Weightless Antics Throughout) or (Sneaky With Aluminum Titanium) LOL.
Posted By: F1Scamp

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/20/13 02:22 AM

Not sure how this pertains to the FAST crowd, unless you are selling something? But yes, I am always looking to take more weight out of the car. The more weight you can get off the front end the better off you are.

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/20/13 02:34 AM

It seems the poster which is out West is interested in shaving a few pounds off a F.A.S.T car he is building and I said that it should be allowed and done if not already by some of the guys in the crew. I would not be surprised.
I guess if I was building a F.A.S.T chassis, I'd be gunning to be a super light weight in all the right places in order to manage the weight distribution through out the chassis much better.
The only thing I am selling is for everyone to study their chassis and get creative in a neat way in keeping for safety and correct aesthetics.

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/20/13 02:43 AM

Quote:

It seems the poster which is out West is interested in shaving a few pounds off a F.A.S.T car he is building and I said that it should be allowed and done if not already by some of the guys in the crew. I would not be surprised.
I guess if I was building a F.A.S.T chassis, I'd be gunning to be a super light weight in all the right places in order to manage the weight distribution through out the chassis much better.
The only thing I am selling is for everyone to study their chassis and get creative in a neat way in keeping for safety and correct aesthetics.

You got all that out of what he said? Where is the weight coming out of? The firewall itself or something on it? If nobody can see it, and its not in the rules you can't, you can and some already are...

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/20/13 02:55 AM

Sorry for the confusion. I'm sure there are some items, gadgets and do-dags on the firewall that can benefit from a diet.
I guess if some one really wanted to see some skunkwork secrets out in the open, they could go over and open Thumperdarts "Real world weight loss program and its cost" thread.
I spilled a few beans on there.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/20/13 01:24 PM

Quote:

Sorry for the confusion. I'm sure there are some items, gadgets and do-dags on the firewall that can benefit from a diet.
I guess if some one really wanted to see some skunkwork secrets out in the open, they could go over and open Thumperdarts "Real world weight loss program and its cost" thread.

Link?

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/20/13 01:37 PM

I'm not savvy enough at attaching links on this forum, but it's right here on the race thread at what I believe is page 16-17 or 18. It's been a NY minute since anyone including my self have written/attached anything on it. I do have the results of a lightweight exhaust system though.
I'll post up soon.
Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/20/13 01:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Link?

Here ya go....

Weight loss thread........

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/20/13 02:26 PM

Thank you Sir, may I have another.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/20/13 03:38 PM

I guess you could do a few things. Gut the wiper motor, remove the heater core (especially if it's an A/C car) My car only looks like it has a heater box.... You can also gut the blower motor, remove the dash pad, door/kick/rear panels and drill holes, remove all the window mechanisms, replace the steel bumper brackets w/ aluminum, remove any undercoating, those are a few things I can think of off the top of my head. I guess depending on car you could go w/ fiberglass parts. This car has a glass lower valance.

Attached picture 7820833-4406a.jpg
Posted By: AdamR

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/21/13 01:58 AM

you can remove the heater and radio if your car was available without them.

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/21/13 03:35 AM

This is true, but I think the stigma and the fun of F.A.S.T is that you can make some thing that is there already look heavy but be feather weight in reality, otherwise if it's just a bunch of option delete stripper packages being introduced to the game, might as have Factory race cars join the rumble ie: A990, A864's BO29's, Lo 29's K-codes, R codes, Z11's and so forth.
I think a factory stock Factory Race car series should jump off. Darts and Cuda's with the gel coat black front ends and skinny jean tires and all. What a show that would be. Though I would think that the T-bolts would have a clear advantage in the tire department.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/21/13 04:35 AM

F.A.S.T M.A.X

Factory apearing stock tire mean and Xperimental!

The only problem is with thte top dogs already running 9s is how you make a car legal for the 9s yet look bone stock?
Posted By: topside

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/21/13 04:49 AM

Years ago one of the magazines had an article on some of the tricks: light battery hidden under stock-looking case, gutted seats & gutted equipment like radios, heaters, etc. And then moving weight like filled spare tires.
I'm sure the guys didn't spill all the beans, but a lot of stuff can be duplicated in aluminum - all it takes is time & money.
I know a guy that made a lightweight steering column - he put a lot of work into it - but it weighed maybe 5 lbs complete.

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/21/13 05:02 AM

Oh, you mean this one?

Attached picture 7821953-IMG_3186.JPG

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/21/13 05:04 AM

close up of the details.

Attached picture 7821955-IMG_3185.JPG

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/21/13 01:00 PM

Quote:

F.A.S.T M.A.X

Factory apearing stock tire mean and Xperimental!

The only problem is with thte top dogs already running 9s is how you make a car legal for the 9s yet look bone stock?

I think thats one of the problem stigmas for F.A.S.T. Two people ran 9's. One sold his car, the other we haven't seen since. No one ran 9's last year. You don't win anything other than bragging rights. Your wanting to build a car should have nothing to do with being "the top dog", most car combos won't be competitive with the "top dogs" no matter what kind of money you throw at it. Build the car you want with the budget you have and go have fun. 90% of the people that have been running in FAST get most of their enjoyment trying to get every little ounce out of their combo. Hell I am hoping to get my duster back together for Musclepalooza next weekend and if the stars align should be making a run at that magic number...
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/21/13 05:09 PM

I am aware none of the current crop is running 9s BUT a few are getting close and they are not useing the factory race cars, imagine a 68 cuda with fiberglass fenders, BIG hemi, cross ram intakes... they better come out the gates in the 10s and be dipping into the 9s regularly in short order, they would have a far better starting point than Dudek did. Same with some of the factory ferd and chubby factory race only packages. I would LOVE to see this happen, just wondering how it would progress when 9s would become regular in a faster class?
Posted By: topside

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/21/13 08:14 PM

Fullmetal -

No, this...

Attached picture 7822622-IM000984.JPG
Posted By: Hailtheleaf538

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/21/13 09:51 PM

Off subject, but I love the way that car looks under the hood. Super clean, and I have always loved the contrast of the Hemi Orange/Limelight Green....

Re: F.A.S.T. Weight reduction? - 08/22/13 01:17 AM

Quote:

I am aware none of the current crop is running 9s BUT a few are getting close and they are not useing the factory race cars, imagine a 68 cuda with fiberglass fenders, BIG hemi, cross ram intakes... they better come out the gates in the 10s and be dipping into the 9s regularly in short order, they would have a far better starting point than Dudek did. Same with some of the factory ferd and chubby factory race only packages. I would LOVE to see this happen, just wondering how it would progress when 9s would become regular in a faster class?

Me too... They would have to put a spec tire on them (say a g70-14). The horsepower potential seems like it would be pretty amazing on the hemis. Don't really know why they never let them all run.
© 2024 Moparts Forums