Moparts

Dual plug Hemi valve covers

Posted By: nz383man

Dual plug Hemi valve covers - 08/17/13 07:42 AM

Can someone fill in the measurements on this photo for me please, I can't find any of these plates so I need to make a set, Thanks

A - total length =

B - total width =

C - diameter of holes =

D - between centers =

E - thickness of plate =

F - thickness of rubber =
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Dual plug Hemi valve covers - 08/17/13 12:44 PM

If I make it down to the garage,I'l grab one and measure it up for ya
Posted By: BB65Barracuda

Re: Dual plug Hemi valve covers - 08/17/13 11:42 PM

Perhaps Cab Burge has another set laying around, that's where I got mine from. Make a set with 1 hole and ill swap you mine. I only have the single plug heads.
Posted By: maximus

Re: Dual plug Hemi valve covers - 08/18/13 01:07 AM

Measured from Mopar stamped aluminum valve covers as shown in above photo.

A=3.190
B=1.550
C=1.270
D=1.640
E=.039
F=.006 Dipped rubber coating all over
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Dual plug Hemi valve covers - 08/18/13 03:05 AM

I've seen these valve covers many time but just thought now , how are those dual / single plug plates sealed to the valve cover?

Re: Dual plug Hemi valve covers - 08/18/13 03:46 AM

Quote:

A=3.190
B=1.550
C=1.270
D=1.640
E=.039
F=.006 Dipped rubber coating all over

Thanks for the measurements, that is exactly what I was liking for.

Interesting to see what you mean about the rubber coating from the pic above, I thought the factory ones were all two piece, alloy plate with separate rubber gasket like the pics below, maybe they made a couple of variants, any comments on which work the best? Thanks again.

Posted By: maximus

Re: Dual plug Hemi valve covers - 08/18/13 11:31 AM

High Temp silicone seals them to the valve covers.

Re: Dual plug Hemi valve covers - 08/18/13 11:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the measurements, that is exactly what I was liking for.

Interesting to see what you mean about the rubber coating from the pic above, I thought the factory ones were all two piece, alloy plate with separate rubber gasket like the pics below, maybe they made a couple of variants, any comments on which work the best? Thanks again.

mine are rubber coated. I put a little silicone around the hole seal but not where it seats to the valve cover.
Once you install the tubes, orings and tighten down the plug they seal right up.
At least on my car they did.

Re: Dual plug Hemi valve covers - 08/18/13 11:48 AM

Thanks guys, this is my first Hemi build & maybe I could have started with something easier than an old dual plug Motown engine but why do things the easy way!

Re: Dual plug Hemi valve covers - 08/18/13 12:24 PM

It's no different than any other motor with the exception of Goobs of torque on the cheap!
Mine is a 66 426 I bought along with my Drag Car, I did the correct machine work and put it together as I did any other motor and she rocks!
I put it in My wifes 65 Coronet and along with an appropriately built trans and brake upgrade we drove it in the Dream Cruise on Woodward last night and have made several 150 plus mile trips with it and its a blast.
Just a Gas Hog, and that's even keeping your foot out of it.
All the trinkets that go along with it are the Problem, carbs, headers, linkages, stamp 426 on it and all the A Holes come out of the woodwork to sell you what you need.
You can pick a lot of stuff up on the cheap if your not afraid to do a little tuning. If you are not trying to build a Concourse car You dont need the correct Carbs, they are Way overpriced.
Depending on what year you are working with, Mine uses the inline carbs. Mine are not Hemi correct but if you pull along side of me I bet you wouldn't know the difference.

But if you are wanting the correct parts and restoration info there are several guys on here that can supply you with all of the correct parts and tech help to make it less painful.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Dual plug Hemi valve covers - 08/18/13 04:15 PM

I am sorry fo not being able to reply sooner

I found the covers,cant find the part you needed measured.They gotta be around here somewhere
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Dual plug Hemi valve covers - 08/18/13 09:00 PM

two things happen when using those valve covers.
they will leak,they will crack at the bolt holes.

Re: Dual plug Hemi valve covers - 08/18/13 09:52 PM

Quote:

two things happen when using those valve covers.
they will leak,they will crack at the bolt holes.

Ya but they look cool!
He's right about the leaking part.
I thought Hemis were supposed to leak?
Posted By: StewartP

Re: Dual plug Hemi valve covers - 08/18/13 11:35 PM

also, there is a little more power in the "B" = and it might help if you heli-arc weld inside the valve come, where the nut presses agains the inside and cause it to tear
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Dual plug Hemi valve covers - 08/18/13 11:52 PM

if you an find some valve cover spacers you seal them to the cover. now you have a flush solid surface which will not buckle when you tighten the nuts.
Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

Re: Dual plug Hemi valve covers - 08/19/13 02:10 AM

Quote:

if you an find some valve cover spacers you seal them to the cover. now you have a flush solid surface which will not buckle when you tighten the nuts.

Fred, where would someone pick up a set of these "spacers"?

Re: Dual plug Hemi valve covers - 08/19/13 09:03 AM

Quote:

I can see exactly what you are saying here but how does the thickness of the spacer affect the length of the plug tube & how do you get around this?

Re: Dual plug Hemi valve covers - 08/19/13 11:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I can see exactly what you are saying here but how does the thickness of the spacer affect the length of the plug tube & how do you get around this?

Good Point!
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Dual plug Hemi valve covers - 08/19/13 02:23 PM

Do yourself a favor and hang those on the wall and buy some cast 16 plug covers.

Re: Dual plug Hemi valve covers - 08/19/13 08:04 PM

I will say they are a lot easier to "Adjust" if your spring height goes over 1.88!
Soft stuff them covers!!
Ive not torn anything but I do use 1/4 20 studs and flat washer under the nut and snug them up good. I would agree over tightening a no no!
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: Dual plug Hemi valve covers - 08/19/13 08:15 PM

We have duel plug covers on our hemi no one makes them in cast alum... you will have to use the ones you have or settel on mag. covers wich are more trouble then their worth....they tarnish/corode over night
best luck we have had so far is have them polished then cleared over that will get ya 6months-year IF.. Dont get a scratch in them

Attached picture 7819836-2011-12-29_16.12.12.jpg

Re: Dual plug Hemi valve covers - 08/19/13 08:25 PM

That is a fine looking piece of machinery!
© 2024 Moparts Forums