Moparts

Front End Alignment Tech Needed

Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Front End Alignment Tech Needed - 08/11/13 01:31 AM

The front end of our new Altered has the dragster tripod with Mark Williams spindles. The front end alignment looked off to me. I set the tow end from 5/8" to less than 1/16", that helped the handling some. Now for the problem, if you put a straight edge at the top of the wheel it is setting in 7/16" at the bottom on each side. What kind of problem would that cause besides tire wear? I was thinking of trying to make an off set bushing rolling it to the inside about 15 degrees to get the wheels straight up and down. Thanks
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Front End Alignment Tech Needed - 08/11/13 01:53 AM

Quote:

The front end of our new Altered has the dragster tripod with Mark Williams spindles. The front end alignment looked off to me. I set the tow end from 5/8" to less than 1/16", that helped the handling some. Now for the problem, if you put a straight edge at the top of the wheel it is setting in 7/16" at the bottom on each side. What kind of problem would that cause besides tire wear? I was thinking of trying to make an off set bushing rolling it to the inside about 15 degrees to get the wheels straight up and down. Thanks

Is it a rigid or spring front end... I think I would
cut and weld either the upper or lower.. which ever
is the easiest... but get the camber to zero with
any where between 6* and 10* caster... on my car I
run 10* caster... drives like a caddy
EDIT
can you post up a pic of the front end
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Front End Alignment Tech Needed - 08/11/13 04:13 AM

Sounds like the front end was welded on wrong. my altered has zero camber, 15* caster with 1/8 to 3/16ths toe
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Front End Alignment Tech Needed - 08/11/13 04:35 AM

This is a car I built for my brother... he wanted a
nostalgia altered.. its a straight axle with 12* caster,
0 camber and 0 toe in..and drives like a dream at
160 mph... a cheapo SBC with decent heads and a roller..
a solid rear suspension...125" wheel base.. I never
got into the nostalgia stuff myself

Attached picture 7809999-sean1.jpg
Posted By: SB412DUSTER

Re: Front End Alignment Tech Needed - 08/11/13 05:56 AM

Billy check to see if there is a top and bottom to the spindle some have a little offset in them and yours could be upside down
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Front End Alignment Tech Needed - 08/11/13 07:16 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. The spindle's do have 6 degrees built into them,but they are turned the right way.I should have said our used car,just a new car for us.It's a solid front-end,king pins bushings all check out good,don't understand how they got the same amount both sides that far off.Unless I can fab up some king of off-set bushing an pin it where it can-not move,looks like I may have to do some cutting & welding.That's no problem as I am a welder,but I don't have a front-end jig.Thanks again everyone for the help!
© 2024 Moparts Forums