Moparts

Vacuum advance or not???

Posted By: 1KoolBee

Vacuum advance or not??? - 07/31/13 05:44 AM

First off thanks to all who have helped me with my engine build so far. Its coming together slowly, but I'm almost there. Trying to decide if there is a benefit to running a vacuum advance on my street/strip motor. Its 500 cubes, 11.2 static compression, MP .557 cam, 1.6 rockers, Eddie Heads, sixpack induction, 4-speed trans. should I stick to straight mechanical advance, or is there a good reason to keep vacuum advance?
Posted By: sshemi

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 07/31/13 08:54 AM

Only reason for vac advance is a little better milage.
But then the carb have to be calibrated for vac advance.
Posted By: 67_Satellite

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 07/31/13 11:37 AM

What fuel? At that compression probably better than standard pump swill. If it doesn't ping, run it to manifold vacuum.It will give you the extra timing for a better idle/mileage and automatically goes away under heavy/full throttle.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 07/31/13 12:39 PM

Quote:

What fuel? At that compression probably better than standard pump swill. If it doesn't ping, run it to manifold vacuum.It will give you the extra timing for a better idle/mileage and automatically goes away under heavy/full throttle.

my build is close to the OP, even the 11.2:1, I run 38* all in by 2200 and NO vac advance. But I also run meth/H2O injection to reduce detonation. A tad OT but how do yo uhave the 6-pack set-up?
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 07/31/13 12:50 PM

Absolutely not...Too inconsistant...And as for mileage. I did a test on one of my street/strip vehicles, and I think that is a wives tale. If you have a cam more geared for racing than stock, it will never happen.

On mine I did the mileage check back to back one week with a distributer without vacuum advance, and the next week a distributer with vacuum advance. If I saw .4mpg difference it was a lot....Since it had a small 11g tank, and my drive to work is almost 30 miles I typically put fuel in it every day and checked the mileage...11mpg without, 11.4 with it...and it didn't always get the extra mileage...yippy....less then 1/2mpg on one of the five days, saving the world now. It even ran better without it.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 07/31/13 02:01 PM

FWIW if you are building a 440 w/ milage in mind you should have your head checked..... I can tell you w/ the 6-pack you'll do fine. I avg almost 15mpg to and from the track. Back roads, constant 45-50mph 727, 3.91's Now once you stand on it and the ouboards open that changes drastically... but in a good way.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 07/31/13 02:51 PM

Quote:

... is there a good reason to keep vacuum advance?

Yes, but the carb & distirbutor have to be tuned to work together to see the benefits.

A typical factory vacuum advance setup and standard "quick" mechanical ignition curve are generally a recipe for over-advancing a performance engine under high vacuum conditions.

Done right, better idle and fuel consumption. Done wrong, detonation from too much ignition lead under part-throttle use.

Even on my Challenger (mid-10 second street/strip car), if I could find a good distributor w/ fully tuneable vacuum advance (amount of advance x vacuum level) & mechanical curves, I'd like to run one. I think there's something out there that would work, the new Crane electronic distributors, but they're not cheap.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 07/31/13 02:59 PM

Quote:

First off thanks to all who have helped me with my engine build so far. Its coming together slowly, but I'm almost there. Trying to decide if there is a benefit to running a vacuum advance on my street/strip motor. Its 500 cubes, 11.2 static compression, MP .557 cam, 1.6 rockers, Eddie Heads, sixpack induction, 4-speed trans. should I stick to straight mechanical advance, or is there a good reason to keep vacuum advance?

Your set up leans more to race than street operation so it's a tough call. If you are going to drive a lot of street miles, it might save you a little in fuel costs to use it. With that cam, you would want to run ported vacuum for idle stability and you would probably have to recurve the distributor accordingly.
Posted By: sshemi

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 07/31/13 06:55 PM

Dist and carb should be calibrated for it.
Lean mixtures burn slower so the benfit is to lean the carb at highway speed (too lean without vac) and with the increased timing ot should run with better milage.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 07/31/13 07:20 PM

I don`t like variable timing on anything not stock and my dist. is locked out and starts fine even at 12.1.1 comp. Call me I`m close and can help you out..........760-900-3895........
Posted By: LAR_414

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 01:47 AM

Do it.

15.5 mpg here. 11 sec 34 degr mech and 50 with vacuum.

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 02:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

"if I could find a good distributor w/ fully tuneable vacuum advance (amount of advance x vacuum level) & mechanical curves, I'd like to run one."

Earlier today I was checking out the MSD 6AL-2 Programmable (6530)...interestingly enough it has several advance and retard curve features including one that works off a MAP sensor (vacuum or boost). Also burnout, Launch, and Max RPM limiters. All tunes with a laptop, so you could probably have different pump gas and race gas timing curves? not cheap, ~$350, but I need an ignition box anyway. Maybe "electronic" vacuum advance control? hmmmmmmmm.........

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 02:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

"if I could find a good distributor w/ fully tuneable vacuum advance (amount of advance x vacuum level) & mechanical curves, I'd like to run one."

Earlier today I was checking out the MSD 6AL-2 Programmable (6530)...interestingly enough it has several advance and retard curve features including one that works off a MAP sensor (vacuum or boost). Also burnout, Launch, and Max RPM limiters. All tunes with a laptop, so you could probably have different pump gas and race gas timing curves? not cheap, ~$350, but I need an ignition box anyway. Maybe "electronic" vacuum advance control? hmmmmmmmm.........

Really.............? I guess if you`ve got all that time on your hands but you are REALLY over complicating things in my opinion but hey, it`s your car..............

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 05:15 AM

LOL...Yeah you're probably right Dom! Keep it simple is a good creed to stick to.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 05:38 AM

Quote:

LOL...Yeah you're probably right Dom! Keep it simple is a good creed to stick to.

If you drive ALOT on the street the advance is well
worth the time to figure it out... even at .5 more
miles per gal... its just a balancing act between the
carb and the dist... whats the max timing it will
take at that amount of load.. when I get the time I
will be running a mech advance along with vac advance
just to get the mileage up.. right now I just have
mech advance

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 05:44 AM

Quote:

It`s all good man but these are musclecars and the extra mpg`s can`t hurt but just seem minute to me w/the hastles of the balancing act that`s needed to make it work. Good luck either way man............

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 06:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It`s all good man but these are musclecars and the extra mpg`s can`t hurt but just seem minute to me w/the hastles of the balancing act that`s needed to make it work. Good luck either way man............

You do know all it is is sticking a allen wrench in
the vac port on the vac can and turning in less or more
per given load(usually set for cruise load).. some
times it takes a delay valve in the vac line

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 06:05 AM

Quote:

If you decide to go with a vacuum advance set up, here would be a good starting point: initial advance around 17 degrees, starting around 1200 rpm. total mechanical around 34 degrees ( 8 1/2 distributor degrees )and all in around 2200rpm. Limit the vacuum advance to around 12 degrees, which would give you a total of 46 degrees at cruise. An adjustable vacuum can would make that part easy. Go for it!

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 06:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have trouble focusing sometimes so this stuff drives me plus vac. adv. is for wussy cars NOT muscle cars..............

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 06:30 AM

I have trouble focusing sometimes so this stuff drives me plus vac. adv. is for wussy cars NOT muscle cars..............

Maybe they are for wussies but now days I'll take that
extra 1/2 to 1 mile a gal any day... it might take
a few hours to fine tune it.. well worth the effort
to me.. once I'm up and running good I hope to have time
to dial in a vac advance before DW
Posted By: 70VcodeCoronetRT

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 02:01 PM

I hooked up the vacuum advance on my 470 street motor. ( 242@.050 duration) It adds 14 more degrees at part throttle. I noticed the engine temp drop about 20 degrees while cruising. But the part throttle response doesn't seem as snappy as without the advance. Which is opposite of what I thought the extra timing would add. I still have it hooked up for now.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 03:24 PM

Doesn't the fuel economy improve because the engine is burning it's fuel more completely and more efficiently?

My engine sounds a bit smoother and quieter at cruise with the vac advance. That's why I have kept it, not for the additional economy.

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 03:35 PM

Quote:

Doesn't the fuel economy improve because the engine is burning it's fuel more completely and more efficiently?

My engine sounds a bit smoother and quieter at cruise with the vac advance. That's why I have kept it, not for the additional economy.

Being that there is less fuel and air in the cyl
you start the fire earlier to get the burn over the
top(it has less compression due to not being full)
and its quieter with less explosion (less boom.. LOL)

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 06:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

here, focus on this!

Attached picture 7798386-tpholder.jpg

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 06:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

here, focus on this!

What the Hell does that mean..............
Posted By: mickm

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 07:06 PM

Quote:

oh, i don't know, but 712 hp at 6000 rpm, 568 ft lbs at 3000 doesn't seem too wussy to me, and yes, the vacuum advance is hooked up.

now a/c on the other hand...

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 07:17 PM

It was a joke but those #`s mean nothing if you can`t get it down the track.............

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 07:21 PM

Quote:

It was a joke but those #`s mean nothing if you can`t get it down the track.............

so was mine. and i agree with you, and haven't been to the track yet, so got nothing to back it up with. will get there one of these days...

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 07:31 PM

It`s a beoch trying to make as much power as we can only to have troubles hooking or whatever but if it was that easy everyone would have 8 and 9 second street cars............

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 07:39 PM

Quote:

It`s a beoch trying to make as much power as we can only to have troubles hooking or whatever but if it was that easy everyone would have 8 and 9 second street cars............

also agree. unless i get a set of slicks, i'm going to have to learn how to baby it off the line as best i can. the MT's hook so much better than the BFG's did, (obviously), but it still lights them up like nothing in first gear on the street, so don't imagine the track will be much different.

wait, didn't we just hijack this thread?

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 07:55 PM

I`ll be on slicks from now on................yes we did.........

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 08:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

also agree. unless i get a set of slicks, i'm going to have to learn how to baby it off the line as best i can. the MT's hook so much better than the BFG's did, (obviously), but it still lights them up like nothing in first gear on the street, so don't imagine the track will be much different.

wait, didn't we just hijack this thread?

You will be surprised at the difference between track
and the street... its a lot different
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 08:42 PM

Quote:

My pump gas street car only runs 10's, so I have to envy everyone elses 9s cars....Heck, even our pump gas rac car only runs 10.0's....
Posted By: 383man

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 09:05 PM

As you can see I dont have a vacum advance on my dist. I got a good deal on this Mallory race dist and it works good. I run 37 total all in by 1800 rpm and it runs and drives very good. That said if it had a vacum advance I would have no trouble trying it to help my cruise even more. My old 440 got good milage with this dist as it was about 14 miles to a gallon. But this 493 wanted alot more fuel and gets alot less milage then the old 440 did. But I was only figuring I would get about 8 miles to a gallon with the 493 and 4.30 gears. If I was really worried about gas milage then I am in the wrong hobby. But no problem using or trying the vacum advance on a street car. Ron

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/01/13 11:03 PM

Quote:

You will be surprised at the difference between track
and the street... its a lot different

yeah, i guess i know that. last time at the track was with a set of BFG drag radials. i set them at 19 lbs of pressure, and it was a world of difference both from the regular radials, and the street at 32 lbs, not to mention surface of the track compared to the street.

just gotta do it...

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/02/13 01:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

here, focus on this!

That`s what I thaught.............typical..........
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/02/13 03:39 AM

I got tired of reading all the responses so this may have been covered, but just in case it hasn't, here goes: vacuum advance was brought into existence because mileage and lean fuel mixtures became important. In order to burn a lean mixture you need to light it off sooner, hence, the vacuum advance. Light load, lean mixture, not typically a recipe for detonation, though there is a fine line from light load to tip in on the throttle where it can and will detonate if the vacuum advance doesn't drop off fast enough or you have too much vacuum advance. There may be a recipe for finding out what these numbers are, but I did mine by trial and error. Leaned the truck out until it lean surged, went back up two jet sizes, 50 cc pump to get rid of the lean bog off idle, and vacuum advance to make it run when cruising. Richened up the secondary side a tad to make up for the primary (though in hindsight should have just opened up the power valve fuel passages), and I was knocking down 14 mpg around town regularly in a '77 W100 with a 2" lift and a 4spd. Maybe that doesn't seem too spectacular, but it beats the 11 it was getting. Now it's got a 440 and 11 is about all I can do. Torker II doesn't help there.

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/02/13 04:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

here, focus on this!

Hey, my computer has been down all day - just came up, but - - -just trying to help you stay focused Dom. Musta worked . BTW, real men run vacuum advance units on their streeters.

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/02/13 04:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

here, focus on this!

Hey, my computer has been down all day - just came up, but - - -just trying to help you stay focused Dom. Musta worked . BTW, real men run vacuum advance units on their streeters.

No problem at least you`re paying attention...........

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/02/13 12:17 PM

Quote:

I got tired of reading all the responses so this may have been covered, but just in case it hasn't, here goes: vacuum advance was brought into existence because mileage and lean fuel mixtures became important. In order to burn a lean mixture you need to light it off sooner, hence, the vacuum advance. Light load, lean mixture, not typically a recipe for detonation, though there is a fine line from light load to tip in on the throttle where it can and will detonate if the vacuum advance doesn't drop off fast enough or you have too much vacuum advance. There may be a recipe for finding out what these numbers are, but I did mine by trial and error. Leaned the truck out until it lean surged, went back up two jet sizes, 50 cc pump to get rid of the lean bog off idle, and vacuum advance to make it run when cruising. Richened up the secondary side a tad to make up for the primary (though in hindsight should have just opened up the power valve fuel passages), and I was knocking down 14 mpg around town regularly in a '77 W100 with a 2" lift and a 4spd. Maybe that doesn't seem too spectacular, but it beats the 11 it was getting. Now it's got a 440 and 11 is about all I can do. Torker II doesn't help there.

There is a little more work to get it right with a vacuum advance system, but there is a pay-off if you street drive. You will find the stock vacuum advance unit will usually have about 14 degrees in it. That's going to be too much ( when you ad in the mechanical and the totals we run )with most performance build applications. You are going to have to cut it back to around 10 degrees by ether using an adjustable can ( as said) or by limiting the rod pull. I don't have any pics of the latter, but I have made them in the past. Not hard to do.

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/02/13 06:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

There is a little more work to get it right with a vacuum advance system, but there is a pay-off if you street drive. You will find the stock vacuum advance unit will usually have about 14 degrees in it. That's going to be too much ( when you ad in the mechanical and the totals we run )with most performance build applications. You are going to have to cut it back to around 10 degrees by ether using an adjustable can ( as said) or by limiting the rod pull. I don't have any pics of the latter, but I have made them in the past. Not hard to do.

Just lock the damn thing out so we can talk/argue about something else..........

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/02/13 09:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just lock the damn thing out so we can talk/argue about something else..........

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/02/13 09:28 PM

Now I`m REALLY confused............
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/02/13 09:58 PM

#1 reason why not vacuum advance: don't understand how it works
#2 reason: understand it, too much trouble for the benefits

Also: it's another way the point plate can wobble, possible spark scatter.

Warning: if you have a Holley 4150 variant and already have your mixture dialed in, remember that cruising fuel mixture is from the primary mains, which get reduced. To maintain the same WOT mixture you have to increase the PVCR size - buy an aftermarket adjustable block or get out the drills.

Re: Vacuum advance or not??? - 08/02/13 10:56 PM

Quote:

Now I`m REALLY confused............

© 2024 Moparts Forums