Moparts

Boost is GOOD!!!

Posted By: quickd100

Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/28/13 11:46 PM

Some of you may remember my turbo 318 project. Due to work and lifes little problems it got set on the back burner. Yesterday and today I finally got the motor fired up on the dyno.
Bone stock .030 over 318 2bbl. dynoed through the exhaust manifolds into a stock crossover pipe. The compression measured at 7.72-1 so I took the liberty of advancing the stock 318 cam 8-1/2 degrees. I set the timing at 35 degrees and the monster made 161.3hp@3338rpm and 288.3ftlbs.@2179rpm.
This morning I bolted up the (forgive me if I get this wrong)T3/T4.63 $149 delivered to my door turbo. The frankenstein plumbing and a 800 thermoquad. First pull with no tuning netted 314hp@3719rpm and 529.3ftlbs.@2997rpm.
It probably will do better but about the time it hit 314hp it pushed the old carb base gasket out and filled the room with an atomized fuel fog. ( I glad I wasn't sucking on my cigar)
My boost gauge didn't record so I don't know how much pressure it was pushing. Have a few other glitches to iron out before I try and destroy 'the mule'. Overall though I'm very pleased, $400 tied up in everything and it thinks it's a big block now.Dave
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/29/13 12:02 AM

Thats a big improvement for $150 well really $400
I need to get 2 of those cheapo units and hang them
on my 416 in the Rampage.. just for kicks
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/29/13 12:13 AM

Where do you get a turbo for $149.00 Used or some China stuff?

Lets see some pics of your plumbing.

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/29/13 12:27 AM

Quote:

Where do you get a turbo for $149.00 Used or some China stuff?

Lets see some pics of your plumbing.

Of course, nothing but the finest quality parts in this mega-dollar build. Brand new turbo from somewhere in Asia shipped to my door off E-gag. I'd post another picture but my home computer is ready to go to the happy hunting grounds. If you do a search on this section I think I posted a piture of it early this spring.
It's a draw through setup, carb sits above and near the front of the passenger valve cover. The plumbing is stuff I picked up off the garge floor from previous projects. (Part of the tubing under the carb is part of the exhaust tube off a 6V92 Detriot)Dave
Posted By: 67_Satellite

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/29/13 03:07 AM

I'll bet you're the highest powered draw through on Moparts!!!! Gonna put it in a boat or other constant speed device?

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/29/13 03:19 AM

I've been looking at a pair of turbo's for the Rampage...
maybe next year during the winter I might hang a pair
but I dont want much... I was looking at a pair of
GT35s with .68AR and 70AR... just something to play with
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/29/13 03:21 AM

Quote:

I'll bet you're the highest powered draw through on Moparts!!!! Gonna put it in a boat or other constant speed device?

My old Buick Riv had a draw through system with a quadrajet carb. It ran as well as the V8 Riv that I had.

Your draw through combo has alot more HP then your posted results based on your 529 ft.lbs of torque. You need to rev it over 5252 rpm. The early rpm torque numbers are impressive.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/29/13 11:00 AM

Well BIG DAVE .... make me up a turbo package for my warmed-over big- tire Laser

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/29/13 11:07 AM

I'm suprised it has done as well as it has. It still has the stock .370 lift 318 cam in it and the Napa rebuilt 318 heads. I had the heads apart to clean and inspect this spring. A couple seats and been changed and the castings hadn't been blended back to the seats, it was ugly to say the least. It took a bit of willpower on my part NOT to touch them, I did finally cave in on advancing the cam though. The exhaust TO the turbo is also very restrictive. I had too small a space for two pipes to merge to feed the hot side, it's amazing what you can do though with a little motivation, a torch a hammer and a mg welder.
As far as what to put it in, I've got a 81 D-150 4x4 that in it's previous lives spent time with the DNR keeping felled trees from hitting the ground. After that a neighbor picked it up and tryed finishing it off using it as a spray truck. 3 years ago my neighbor said come and get it. He'd cracked both heads, worn out the steering coupler, trashed the brakes, and put a few more dents in it. HemiRam (Larry H.) from the board gave me a 65,000 mile 67' 318 that was in his way and I dropped that in the truck. I runs and drives like a million buck now but would win 3 out of 4 ugly truck contests. It would make a perfect Q ship.Dave
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/29/13 04:51 PM

intresting read for sure,dont go overboard now and start trowing any speedparts on that piece of enginering
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/30/13 02:27 AM

241lb ft for $400 is unreal. This could be better than nitrous for us econo type guys. I would have never believed that a $149 turbo would be worth a _)@!!. Keep us posted whether or not it keeps on ticking.

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/30/13 11:59 PM

Well I found Napa's first weak link. I pushed out a head gasket on #7, 2 more cylinders weren't to far behind. Plugs looked great, pistons, cylinders, and heads look like a freshly broke in motor. I set the carb up to be almost dead rich to be on the safe side untill I got a handle on things. The head gaskets were the cheap Victors you see in the economy rebuild sets.
Can anyone recomend a GOOD set of head gaskets, I'd like a set that are .050 compressed. Dave
Posted By: PC-CHARGER

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/31/13 02:34 AM

Hey Dave,

I think with the power that little 318 is starting to make with your $149 hair dryer, you're probably going to have to spend more than that on a pair of head gaskets and ARP studs or bolts to keep everything sealed up. Then you chase the next weak link and I'm going to guess that will be one of the spindly little connecting rods in the old 318.

Have fun and hope to see you in a couple weeks at Top End.

Rick
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/31/13 02:39 AM

Should't you be working on a truck frame ..

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/31/13 02:43 AM

Quote:

Well I found Napa's first weak link. I pushed out a head gasket on #7, 2 more cylinders weren't to far behind. Plugs looked great, pistons, cylinders, and heads look like a freshly broke in motor. I set the carb up to be almost dead rich to be on the safe side untill I got a handle on things. The head gaskets were the cheap Victors you see in the economy rebuild sets.
Can anyone recomend a GOOD set of head gaskets, I'd like a set that are .050 compressed. Dave

For a .050 and one thats gonna live you might want Cometics

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/31/13 03:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

For a .050 and one thats gonna live you might want Cometics

I was afraid you'd say that Mike, they cost more than the motor did but I know you're right.
Jamie; I bandaided it for now, this winter I'll get it on a chassis plate and try and do it justice.
Rick; I'm planing on being at Top End when you guys come down. Still don't know if I'll try a pass the way it is, I don't know if the tech guy would even give the nod.Dave
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/31/13 03:26 AM

I recommend Cometic head gaskets. Also, now that you have boost on it I think I'd set the cam back where you had it prior to advancing it. All that pressure down low is going to be tough on things.
Dangit, now you're making me want to order up some dished pistons for my 408 since it isn't balanced yet and put a couple hair driers on it.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/31/13 07:24 AM

I didn't see if you are using head studs or not. If not I would go with studs and try it again with maybe one step up in the quality dept for head gaskets. On a big dollar build such as this it might be a good idea to have a fuse.

Kevin

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/31/13 11:00 AM

Quote:

I recommend Cometic head gaskets. Also, now that you have boost on it I think I'd set the cam back where you had it prior to advancing it. All that pressure down low is going to be tough on things.
Dangit, now you're making me want to order up some dished pistons for my 408 since it isn't balanced yet and put a couple hair driers on it.

I've already decided to put the cam back in at straight up. It had a powerband of a cummins, even so with the stock cam and springs it's all done well before 4800rpm. I'm also going to put a lighter spring in the wastegate, it came with 3 different springs and I think the heaviest one is installed now. Dave
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/31/13 01:16 PM

Just imagine if you "tried" to make some power with a turbo!
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/31/13 03:43 PM

How much boost, how much timing?

If the tuneup caused the head gasket failure, and you put good head gaskets and studs in it... the next weak link part that fails won't be so forgiving.

Cam straight up, felpro 1008 gaskets, head bolt/stud upgrade. Sneak up on the tune, and it will be fine.

Either get it on the dyno, or take it to the track. Start with safe timing and add a degree at a time. Watch the HP or mph, and find out what it likes.

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/31/13 10:58 PM

Quote:

How much boost, how much timing?

If the tuneup caused the head gasket failure, and you put good head gaskets and studs in it... the next weak link part that fails won't be so forgiving.

Cam straight up, felpro 1008 gaskets, head bolt/stud upgrade. Sneak up on the tune, and it will be fine.

Either get it on the dyno, or take it to the track. Start with safe timing and add a degree at a time. Watch the HP or mph, and find out what it likes.

It is on my dyno, I'll be installing some better gaskets, drop the timing back a bit more, and installing a softer spring in the waste gate. Dave
Posted By: 72swgnr

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/31/13 11:05 PM

Feel free to use my intake if you want to try some different things. Also you can slap on my heads if you want as long as you promise not to destroy them
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/31/13 11:14 PM

Quote:

as you promise not to destroy them

LOL now that's funny !!

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/31/13 11:38 PM

Quote:

Feel free to use my intake if you want to try some different things. Also you can slap on my heads if you want as long as you promise not to destroy them

Zeb; Can you more closely define DESTROY . Don't worry, I'm not planing on pirating any of your parts. Well maybe your old MP cam later. Dad

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 07/31/13 11:41 PM

Go ahead and use whatever you want. It's just sitting there not being used.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 08/02/13 04:34 AM

Does this turbo have a carbon seal?

Would you mind posting a link to the ebay seller?

Thanks!

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 08/02/13 11:32 AM

Quote:

Does this turbo have a carbon seal?

Would you mind posting a link to the ebay seller?

Thanks!

Don't know about the seal, at that price I doubt it, I wasn't looking for a 100,000 mile unit. Here's a link for the same turbo, don't know if it's the same seller though. Dave
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T3-T4-T04E-Turbo...#ht_4223wt_1006
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 08/02/13 11:52 AM

Whoa...the exhaust back pressure is probably insane on that turbo on a 318"!!! That might have been part of your hg issue right there.

You should have bought two of those turbos. .lol

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 08/02/13 01:00 PM

Thanks Dave.

I was looking to do the same thing to my 318 when a turbo and 4bbl from a 301 Pontiac was in the local classifieds. Nice thing about the pontiac turbo is it's already set up for draw-through. He sold it though, might give this ebay one a try......

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 08/02/13 01:47 PM

Quote:

Whoa...the exhaust back pressure is probably insane on that turbo on a 318"!!! That might have been part of your hg issue right there.

The purpose of the whole build is to just give a little smogger motor a little kick in the pants. I'm not looking to make a 500hp fire breathing bb killer. Set up as it is though it makes almost as much hp at 2000rpm as it did na. It probably would get off the dyno alive if I push it much harder, the machinist?? that built it liked to grind notches in the rod beams to mark which side faced out. I'm hoping to have some gaskets by midle of next week, phase II will then start on the 318 torture test.Dave
(Mods, we need a little mushroom cloud icion)

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 08/02/13 02:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The purpose of the whole build is to just give a little smogger motor a little kick in the pants. I'm not looking to make a 500hp fire breathing bb killer. Set up as it is though it makes almost as much hp at 2000rpm as it did na. It probably would get off the dyno alive if I push it much harder, the machinist?? that built it liked to grind notches in the rod beams to mark which side faced out. I'm hoping to have some gaskets by midle of next week, phase II will then start on the 318 torture test.Dave
(Mods, we need a little mushroom cloud icion)

Notches in the rods.... thats gonna hurt.... BOOM
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 08/02/13 04:28 PM

Would LOVE to see some pics of this set up! PLEASE...

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 08/02/13 04:36 PM

Here's a pic of the setup. It was only intended to fit on the dyno

Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 08/02/13 05:25 PM

Quote:

The good thing is, when you're done killing it on the dyno, you could sell that set up to the extreme rat rod guys, they would buy it in a second, it would match their 6 foot tall shifters with that thermoquad up in the air like that.

Seriously, I like it when guys post stuff like this, how come you went draw through instead of blow through?

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 08/02/13 06:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The good thing is, when you're done killing it on the dyno, you could sell that set up to the extreme rat rod guys, they would buy it in a second, it would match their 6 foot tall shifters with that thermoquad up in the air like that.

Seriously, I like it when guys post stuff like this, how come you went draw through instead of blow through?

Pure Lazyness. Less mods to the carb, don't have to boost reference the fuel pump and it cost next to nothing, (for me anyway). My biggest worry was a backfire through the intake tract, so far it hasn't been an issue. My gaskets showed up today too.
I ordered them from Jegs and the person taking my order is a memeber here on Moparts. Forgive me but I can't remember his handle but his extension at Jegs is #277.
If the motor survives I'll refabricate the intake tract moving the carb over and lower to fit under the hood.Dave

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 08/03/13 04:22 AM

One more question: How is the timing set up?

Re: Boost is GOOD!!! - 08/03/13 11:48 AM

On the last pull it was locked at 20 degrees BTC, there is no advance. I'll be fiddling with timing when my 110 octane shows up, the pull was made on 91. Dave
© 2024 Moparts Forums