Moparts

Fuel system return line question

Posted By: dart440_72

Fuel system return line question - 07/28/13 03:03 AM

Hello all,

I am gathering the supplies to change out my BG280 to a Holly Dominator fuel pump. I have never run a return style system. I will be using -10 for the feed, is it ok to run -8 for return?

Thanks
Posted By: RBDuster

Re: Fuel system return line question - 07/28/13 03:07 AM

That is is what I used.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Fuel system return line question - 07/28/13 06:22 AM

With my BG 240 , they recommend a -8 feed and -10 return.
Who am I to question why ? That's what I did.
It sort of makes sense , as the -8 should be able to supply plenty of volume for a small block single carb deal like mine and the return will not provide any restriction.....so I guess on paper , it's all good.
The manufacturer should be able to provide requirements for their stuff I bet.
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Fuel system return line question - 07/28/13 07:04 AM

Quote:

It sort of makes sense , as the -8 should be able to supply plenty of volume for a small block single carb deal like mine and the return will not provide any restriction.....so I guess on paper , it's all good.

I run the same feed as return,less extra fittings and hose to stock. Makes since to me.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Fuel system return line question - 07/30/13 02:20 PM

Aeromotive A1000 pump on my cuda w/ a -10 feed and -8 return. Heard the same things you have and was concerned my -8 wouldn't work...called Aeromotive and the tech guy said it'd work no problem. That was almost 4 years ago.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Fuel system return line question - 07/30/13 04:04 PM

Quote:

You always want the return line to be bigger than the feed line. You want zero back pressure on the return line. -8 feed and -10 return would be good. Keep the 90 degree bends to a minimum on all lines.
Posted By: Barry70GTX

Re: Fuel system return line question - 07/30/13 09:03 PM

Does the return at the tank need to be above fuel level? I've noticed that low pressure race setups are above and factory high pressure setups are below. Will a low pressure high flow race pump for non fuel injection work with a return in the middle of the tank?
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Fuel system return line question - 07/30/13 09:54 PM

Quote:

Does the return at the tank need to be above fuel level? I've noticed that low pressure race setups are above and factory high pressure setups are below. Will a low pressure high flow race pump for non fuel injection work with a return in the middle of the tank?

With no scientific evidence , I am going to say yes.
Plumb it into the filler neck or top of the tank for the same reason as using a larger line. You don't want the back pressure that forcing returned fuel to the tank through 1/2 a tank of fuel would provide.
If you're using a cell , there will be a fitting located where ? Yes....on the top.
I put mine on the top front on the pass side because that is the side the return runs down. An oval track deal would want a little more thought than that.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Fuel system return line question - 07/30/13 10:00 PM

Quote:

Aeromotive A1000 pump on my cuda w/ a -10 feed and -8 return. Heard the same things you have and was concerned my -8 wouldn't work...called Aeromotive and the tech guy said it'd work no problem. That was almost 4 years ago.

Same way my car is, no problem on pump gas, race gas or E85.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Fuel system return line question - 07/30/13 10:07 PM

Quote:

Mine returns through the factory pickup tube...below fuel level.
Posted By: BBR

Re: Fuel system return line question - 07/30/13 11:26 PM

I had a -8 feed and -6 return (which worked fine for an EFI application) and could not get the fuel pressure below 12 psi. Ended up putting a dead head reg between the return reg and the carb to knock it to 6psi. Fuel still circulates and keeps the pump happy.

It's a bandaid, but it works fine and was cheaper than buying all new line and fittings for the return line.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Fuel system return line question - 07/30/13 11:57 PM

Quote:

Yes.

Attached picture 7795830-fuelcell.jpg
Posted By: Barry70GTX

Re: Fuel system return line question - 07/31/13 03:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

With no scientific evidence , I am going to say yes.
Plumb it into the filler neck or top of the tank for the same reason as using a larger line. You don't want the back pressure that forcing returned fuel to the tank through 1/2 a tank of fuel would provide.
If you're using a cell , there will be a fitting located where ? Yes....on the top.
I put mine on the top front on the pass side because that is the side the return runs down. An oval track deal would want a little more thought than that.

I had searched for an answer to that and found nothing on it.
I have a car with a stock tank and plumbed the return at the sending unit. 3/8 fuel line with 1/2 return. It was working fine until I filled the tank up. The pump started surging after the fill up.
It's a Mallory 140 pump. Looks like I'll be moving the return.
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: Fuel system return line question - 08/13/13 05:37 PM

I meant to reply to this a few weeks ago. I just sumped my tank, didn't want my return to be below fuel level for obvious reasons.

Welded a tube into the filler neck. Hogged out the pressure relief of the cap to make it "vented". works great so far with a BG220 pump. 1/2 SS hardline front to rear.

Attached picture 7812704-IMAG0586.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums