Moparts

Ductile Iron Rocker/Valve Tip Alignment

Posted By: GTX MATT

Ductile Iron Rocker/Valve Tip Alignment - 07/18/13 06:49 PM

I'm not liking the way my rockers align on my exhaust valves, looking for some opinions.

These are Erson ductile irons. The picture below is the worst one. Intakes all look fine. Stock replacement rocket shafts with Hughes engines studded hold down kit. Should I just run a washer/shim between the exhaust rocker and the hold down? Am I missing something that is causing this issue?

Attached picture 7781297-IMG_0115.jpg

Re: Ductile Iron Rocker/Valve Tip Alignment - 07/18/13 06:51 PM

Another

Attached picture 7781299-IMG_0116.jpg
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Ductile Iron Rocker/Valve Tip Alignment - 07/18/13 06:56 PM

I would shim it.. but I would also get rid of the
springs and shim everything to center them.. I made
up nylon style to shim it all.. I dont like a thin steel shim
that vibrates on the shaft and cuts it(sure it might
take a few years but it does).... JMO
EDIT
But it looks like your missing a washer on the one side

Re: Ductile Iron Rocker/Valve Tip Alignment - 07/18/13 07:13 PM

Hey Mr P Body

The kit actually only came with washers to go between the springs/rockers, and from what I've seen usually people don't run any washers? Although I suppose the intent of the washers could have been to go between the rocker and hold down. There were no instructions, and this is what I've seen before when people do use washer if I recall correctly. My intake valves line up fine without anything between the hold down/rocker.

Re: Ductile Iron Rocker/Valve Tip Alignment - 07/18/13 07:31 PM

You could use large washers(3/4") and cut down the OD
and get it very close... I try to stay with in .015
for some slop
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Ductile Iron Rocker/Valve Tip Alignment - 07/18/13 09:14 PM

Personally, I like springs ... then you don't have the hassle of trying to get just the right clearance. I also figure if springs are good enough for virtually every Hemi rocker system, they're good enough for me !!!

Re: Ductile Iron Rocker/Valve Tip Alignment - 07/18/13 09:36 PM

Quote:

Personally, I like springs ... then you don't have the hassle of trying to get just the right clearance. I also figure if springs are good enough for virtually every Hemi rocker system, they're good enough for me !!!

Your choice.. a SB pushes on a angle
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Ductile Iron Rocker/Valve Tip Alignment - 07/18/13 09:48 PM

I prefer the shaft collars and I like to shim them. My 472 Hemi runs shaft collars and it cuts down the valvetrain noise I find. the last Isky BB rockers I setup had to be shimmed as well.

Sheldon
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Ductile Iron Rocker/Valve Tip Alignment - 07/18/13 10:25 PM

I use VSI brand valve spring shims(probally motorcylce or small motor application) to position the rockers over the valve tips, sometimes I've even had to grind off some of the rocker arm sides to get them aligned and centered correclty
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Ductile Iron Rocker/Valve Tip Alignment - 07/18/13 10:36 PM

Once you get the location squared away, you can take off some reciprocating weight by narrowing the tip from both sides to the same width as the stem diameter.
Posted By: Mick70RR

Re: Ductile Iron Rocker/Valve Tip Alignment - 07/18/13 10:39 PM

Quote:

Me too. I made a set of spacers but every time I had the rockers off I had to check and reset the clearance. In the end I just re-fitted the springs.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Ductile Iron Rocker/Valve Tip Alignment - 07/18/13 11:04 PM

well for what it is worth. Had springs on my for years. look to me you just need a shim between the hold down and the rocker.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Ductile Iron Rocker/Valve Tip Alignment - 07/19/13 01:15 AM

The Isky springs are too stiff IMHO You can get shims from Mancini Racing and spacers as well.I just took my heads and rockers over to Harland Sharp and they set me up on the spot
Gus

Attached picture 7781738-006.jpg
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Ductile Iron Rocker/Valve Tip Alignment - 07/19/13 01:33 AM

I had a slight alignment issue as well that required some machining. It looks like all you have to do is move that shim from the spring and put it next to the hold down
Gus

Attached picture 7781751-026-1.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums