Moparts

My new drag radials&wheels. **New Fitment pics added...

Posted By: SNK-EYZ

My new drag radials&wheels. **New Fitment pics added... - 07/12/13 06:53 PM

I got a set of Mickey Thompson 275/60R15 drag radial pros a few weeks ago and was trying to decide what wheels to run them on.

I finally decided and they arrived Tuesday, I had them mounted and balanced on Wednesday.

I finally took pics last night so here they are.

The wheels are 15 x 8's, this is the biggest combo that will fit in my wheelwells.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: My new drag radials and wheels!!! - 07/12/13 06:58 PM

Cool retro look w/modern tire.............
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: My new drag radials and wheels!!! - 07/12/13 08:59 PM

Are those the summit wheels? They look great with the tall 275 tires! Great choices on both counts! How about a pic of them mounted up?
Posted By: Joesixpack

Re: My new drag radials and wheels!!! - 07/12/13 09:34 PM

wow those look great!what are they going on? stock wheelwell? what is the offset of the rimd? width of the tire? will they fit a 66 B-body?
Posted By: Belvedere1

Re: My new drag radials and wheels!!! - 07/13/13 01:27 AM

I'm interested in the wheel dimensions also and how they fit once bolted on.
Posted By: Belvedere2

Re: My new drag radials and wheels!!! - 07/13/13 01:39 AM

Yep me too. Need to know if they'll fit in 67 B body wheelwells.
Posted By: Ian

Re: My new drag radials and wheels!!! - 07/13/13 03:51 AM

i run them the same in my a body ,just fit ,tried on a 10 inch rim no way not even close ps they work a treat
Posted By: 1968RR

Re: My new drag radials and wheels!!! - 07/13/13 05:11 AM

I really like your tire / wheel combo. Do you have any photos of them on the car.
I recently managed to squeeze 295/55R15 MT Street ETs on 15" x 10" steelies behind my "stock wheel well" '68 Roadrunner.

Re: My new drag radials and wheels!!! - 07/13/13 05:55 AM

Yes, they're the Summit wheels.
15 x 8 with a 4.5 inch backspacing.

They're going on my 67 Satellite.

I'm planning on doing the test fit with the stock rear end tomorrow, probably gonna be close on the fender lip.

I should have the dana 60 soon (maybe next week) and it was made 1 inch narrower overall (1/2" on each side).

If I roll the fender lips I'll have more room also.

From all the measuring I did to plan it out it will fit best that way (1/2" in on each side).
It should give me 1/4" clearance spring to tire sidewall (which is a fixed distance) and clearance to the stock fender lip.

I did a trial fit with one tire on a 15 x 7 wheel (stock 4.25 backspacing) and it fit fine in the wheel well but was pulling the sidewalls in too much for me.
It was puffing out the center of the tread about 1/8th inch at 18 psi.

I did a trial fit on a 15 x 8 wheel (4.25 backspacing) and it hit too hard on the fender well outer lip.
The lips haven't been touched in any way "yet" (stock, not rolled or trimmed).

These are only 1/4 more backspacing so I'm not sure if they'll fit and clear the fender lip with the stock width rear end.

I'll post how it fit's with the stock rear end tomorrow.

From all my calculating it looked like a 15 x 8 wheel with a 5 inch backspacing would be the best fit on a stock width 67 rear end but a wheel with 4.75 backspacing would probably work too.

Re: My new drag radials and wheels!!! - 07/13/13 06:00 AM

275's are usually right on the edge with the 66 / 67 cars. With the slightly narrower Dana, they should fit good and look great! Nice Choice, I've looked at the summit wheels for a long time, nice to see a set with tires mounted. They look great!
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: My new drag radials and wheels!!! - 07/13/13 03:55 PM

Let us all know how good they hook,I am looking at buying a set!
Posted By: modelmakerinc

Re: My new drag radials and wheels!!! - 07/13/13 04:16 PM

Nice Combo, Definitely wanting some good info & pictures on fitment and overall appearance. My brother has a 67 satellite and needs new wheels and tires, not drag dots but street
Posted By: 383man

Re: My new drag radials and wheels!!! - 07/14/13 05:13 AM

Very nice. Ron
Posted By: Belvedere1

Re: My new drag radials and wheels!!! - 07/14/13 05:56 AM

Those Pro's have a wider section width than the standard width 275/60 radial. I will be very surprised/amazed if they fit with a 4.5 backspace wheel and the stock 8 3/4 housing and non rolled or cut inner quarter lip. Still waiting the results here though. I am looking to buy tires myself for a 67 Plymouth Belv using an 8" wide 4.5 backspace wheel. I have cut the lip out of my quarters.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: My new drag radials and wheels!!! - 07/14/13 06:10 AM

Great looking wheels !

Re: My new drag radials and wheels!!! - 07/14/13 09:56 PM

I got busy yesterday and didn't get the trial fit done till today.

The fit was pretty much what I expected, really close on the outer fender lip but room on the inside by the leaf springs.
If I roll the fender lips they'd probably clear okay.
They should clear fine after I install the dana since it's narrower.

Here are the pics.
They might be kinda big, but I figured it would show the detail better.

On a side note one complaint about the Summit wheels would be that the lug nut holes could be a little larger for fitting a socket in them.
A thin wall chrome socket is a tight fit and drags and binds up while just running the lug nuts snug.
I tried 2 different thin wall sockets and one fit better, but both are a tight fit.
Longer lug nuts would probably help.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/14/13 10:09 PM

As a owner of a 67 coronet I feel your pain. How much gas is in the tank when you put the wheels and tire on? Mine wheels and tires fit until extra weight got put on. They look great but they don't fit my car.

Hopefully the Dana will give you extra room.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/14/13 10:38 PM

Well you got them on but you better not go any where. That out side clearance is not enough to drive out of the garage. What's your plan with the dana, the inside clearance you have now is about right. You say it will be shorter, are you moving in the springs?

Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/15/13 12:11 AM

You want about 5/8" minimum to not have any worries for cruising around city streets. If compromises need made, then at least have it be a nice flat surface and nothing like wheel opening trim. Tires can "take" some rubbing, like pulling into a driveway at an angle, at low speeds and be fine forever. Just make damn sure nothing touches like after a pass and you let off the gas at 120.

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/15/13 04:50 AM

As I had stated earlier the dana will be 1 inch narrower overall, 1/2 inch in on both sides.

The springs are in the stock location.
That's the problem with 66/67's, you can't move them into the frame rails and run tailpipes in the stock location.
Much less the 3 inch TTI tailpipes that my car has. They run under the rear frame rails.

Dan moved the spring perches in on the axle 1/4 inch on each side from the stock location on the dana.
I hadn't planned on that, but he says he done it before and it will help on the clearance to the springs and works fine and it's no problem lining up the rear end on the spring centering pins.
The distance from the springs to the tire is a fixed (non moving) distance.

The fender lips are the ones I'm worried about.

If I have to roll the fender lips or trim them I will.
I'm gonna wait till I have the dana in the car to see what the final clearance is first.

It's still an original 18k mile unrestored body so I hate to cut stuff if I don't have to.
But I will if I have to.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/15/13 05:02 AM

I think you will end up with a 1/4" spacer on them
after you have the dana shortened... 1/2" in will
put them close on the inside
Posted By: Sledge_57

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/15/13 06:01 AM

I'm sure they way it is now they also rub up at the top of the inner wheel well. If you look the inner protrudes in toward the tire.

I flattened that out with a 2x4 and a small bottle jack working VERY SLOWLY and feeling the outer quarter for any movement. This is where mine used to rub.

The best I can do at the moment is a 275-60-15 on a 15x7 wheel with 4 1/4" BS. An 8" wheel needs 5 1/4" BS. Problem is no one makes a wheel I like with that much BS. So it's 15X7 steel wheel for me...

The Dana will help but like Raff said a 1/2" each side might have been too much.

I'll be interested to see how it fits when done, I'd like to swap in a Dana also and a wheel with less BS would help here too (plus more readily available)

Also curious to see how moving the perches in a 1/4" works...

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/15/13 07:09 AM

Quote:

I'm sure they way it is now they also rub up at the top of the inner wheel well. If you look the inner protrudes in toward the tire.

I flattened that out with a 2x4 and a small bottle jack working VERY SLOWLY and feeling the outer quarter for any movement. This is where mine used to rub.

The best I can do at the moment is a 275-60-15 on a 15x7 wheel with 4 1/4" BS. An 8" wheel needs 5 1/4" BS. Problem is no one makes a wheel I like with that much BS. So it's 15X7 steel wheel for me...

The Dana will help but like Raff said a 1/2" each side might have been too much.

I'll be interested to see how it fits when done, I'd like to swap in a Dana also and a wheel with less BS would help here too (plus more readily available)

Also curious to see how moving the perches in a 1/4" works...

The way it is right now, the springs are lined up exactly with the inner lip of the wheel tub.
There's a little over 3/4" from the tire to there now.
It'll be close with the narrowed rear.
I'll roll over the lip on the inside of the wheel tub too.

These are really only for the track, I'm not planning on any real street cruising on them.

As far as wheels with 5.25 & 5.5 rear spacing, American Racing does some cheaper aluminum wheels with that spacing.
They're designed for later model Jeeps. (1990's on).

Here's a set of 2 for $200 delivered from Summit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Racing-...bc8&vxp=mtr
Posted By: gregsrt

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/20/13 12:13 AM

I have the same dilemma. Bought 15x8 with 4.5" backspace. Mounted 255/70's but it's tight, I can just get my fingers in. Haven't driven yet but will probably go to a 235/70. I didn't move the springs inboard for the same reason, tailpipes. Should be fun with a 511" wedge and street tires.

Attached picture 7782784-IMG_9460.JPG
Posted By: gregsrt

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/20/13 12:15 AM

BTW good choice in wheels.

Attached picture 7782788-IMG_9453.JPG

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/20/13 01:34 AM

Well, I'm glad I bought 255's. They're in there alright, but that don't fit.

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/20/13 03:28 AM

is the 65 B-body 8 3/4 any narrower than the 66-67up? I have a 68 8 3/4 in my 66 and its tight.....not a lot of room..i think the 65 B body has a larger opening in the wheel well area.

Attached picture 7783039-66b002.JPG

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/20/13 03:29 AM

66 B-body

Attached picture 7783041-66b003.JPG

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/20/13 03:29 AM

65 B-body

Attached picture 7783044-66b005.JPG

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/20/13 03:30 AM

seems to me the 65 has a larger opening than the 66

Attached picture 7783045-66b006.JPG

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/20/13 06:51 AM

Quote:

Well, I'm glad I bought 255's. They're in there alright, but that don't fit.

The wheel width is the issue with a 275/60r15.
They fit and clear fine on a 7 inch wheel with 4.25 backspacing.

If they were street tires I'd run the 275's on 7 inch wheel, but as has been commented the Pro drag radials are even wider.
On them it squeezed the sidewalls inn too much for me.

My current street tires are 255/60r15's (redlines).
When I get replacements for them I'm going to go to the 275/60r15 redlines and they'll be run on the 7 inch wheels.
At the rate I've been smoking them off it will be this winter or sooner.

The shape of the wheelwell on a 66/67 B-Body (except Charger) is what creates the clearance problems.
The Charger wheel well opening is cut higher, more of the tire is exposed.

From the pics posted 65's are cut higher too.
The rear end width is the same from 65 to 67 on B-Bodies.
Posted By: Jeff_383

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/20/13 10:35 PM

275 60 drag radials will fit a 7" wide rim and perform well. Not too much bulge and a decent contact patch. And I believe 65 rear ends are a little narrower than 66-67s. I will have to measure, I have a 65 housing in the garage.
Posted By: G_bob

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/21/13 04:29 AM

Quote:

275 60 drag radials will fit a 7" wide rim and perform well. Not too much bulge and a decent contact patch. And I believe 65 rear ends are a little narrower than 66-67s. I will have to measure, I have a 65 housing in the garage.

Actually, the 66-67 b-body rearends are the narrowest, flange to flange, by a 1/4". 65- 54 1/2", 66-67 - 54 1/4"

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/21/13 04:49 AM

Quote:

I have the same dilemma. Bought 15x8 with 4.5" backspace. Mounted 255/70's but it's tight, I can just get my fingers in. Haven't driven yet but will probably go to a 235/70. I didn't move the springs inboard for the same reason, tailpipes. Should be fun with a 511" wedge and street tires.

Whose wheels are these?

I see Rocket makes a wheel similar to the Torque Thrust D's but I'd really like to see them on a car before I buy.

They have 15 in. x 7 in., 5 x 4.50 in. Bolt Circle, 4.25 in. Backspace

Should be perfect, just not sure I like the color or centers, (love TTD's)

Posted By: Cudafied

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/21/13 08:27 AM

I'm getting ready to buy rims and tires for my 67 Satellite and was planning to get 8" rims with 4.5 back space and these tires Mickey Thompson Sportsman SR 28 x10 - 15
Do You think they will fit or should I try to get a custom back space of 4.75?

Sorry to hijack

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/21/13 09:11 AM

Quote:

I'm getting ready to buy rims and tires for my 67 Satellite and was planning to get 8" rims with 4.5 back space and these tires Mickey Thompson Sportsman SR 28 x10 - 15

Sorry to hijack

It's not a hijack, it's a discussion on what fits a 67 so it's all good.

Honestly I don't see them fitting with the 8 inch wide wheels with the 4.5 inch backspacing.
If you roll the fender lips maybe, but it's still gonna be close.

I think it'll need more than even 4.75 backspacing to clear, more like 5 inch.

From looking at the specs, yours would be a little narrower which would help the fit.

Sportsman S/R
28X10.00R15LT
section width 10.3
tread width 8.7
diameter 28

ET Street Radial Pro
3754X
P275/60R15
section width 11.4
tread width 9.8
diameter 28.2

I have the dana 60 (which is 1 inch narrower) bolted in the car now but I haven't install the axles yet (they just arrived).

Once I have them in I'll do another trial fitment and post pics.

If everything clears okay with that setup it will essentially be the same as a stock width rear axle with 5 inch rear spacing wheels.
As I said before, mine are 8 inch with 4.5 rear spacing but the dana is one inch narrower).

Hopefully I'll know Monday, tomorrow is already planned out for a birthday party.

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/21/13 04:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry to hijack

It's not a hijack, it's a discussion on what fits a 67 so it's all good.

Honestly I don't see them fitting with the 8 inch wide wheels with the 4.5 inch backspacing.
If you roll the fender lips maybe, but it's still gonna be close.

I think it'll need more than even 4.75 backspacing to clear, more like 5 inch.

From looking at the specs, yours would be a little narrower which would help the fit.

Sportsman S/R
28X10.00R15LT
section width 10.3
tread width 8.7
diameter 28

ET Street Radial Pro
3754X
P275/60R15
section width 11.4
tread width 9.8
diameter 28.2

I have the dana 60 (which is 1 inch narrower) bolted in the car now but I haven't install the axles yet (they just arrived).

Once I have them in I'll do another trial fitment and post pics.

If everything clears okay with that setup it will essentially be the same as a stock width rear axle with 5 inch rear spacing wheels.
As I said before, mine are 8 inch with 4.5 rear spacing but the dana is one inch narrower).

Hopefully I'll know Monday, tomorrow is already planned out for a birthday party.

Thanks for taking such detailed pictures, it really helps. Like you I would like to cram as big a tire as possible without cutting original sheet metal so I'm looking forward to seeing how the extra 1/2 inch works out.

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/21/13 04:31 PM

Brand:Mickey Thompson
Manufacturer's Part Number:6640
Part Type:Tires
Product Line:Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R Tires
Summit Racing Part Number:MTT-6640

UPC:787025066401
Tire Size:28 x 10.00-15
Wheel Diameter:15 in.
Sidewall Style:Blackwall
Tire Construction:Radial
Tire Diameter:28.00 in.
Section Width:10.30 in.
Tread Width:8.70 in.
Minimum Recommended Wheel Width:7.00 in.
Maximum Recommended Wheel Width:8.50 in.
Directional:Yes
Speed Rating:H
Asymmetrical Tread Pattern:No
Tread Depth:8/32 in.
DOT-Approved:Yes
Tube Required:No
Max Load Single (lbs):1,335 lbs.
Quantity:Sold individually.
i do not think this tire will fit a stock 67 wheel well regardless of the offset of the rim...

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/21/13 09:27 PM

Quote:

Brand:Mickey Thompson
Manufacturer's Part Number:6640
Part Type:Tires
Product Line:Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R Tires
Summit Racing Part Number:MTT-6640

UPC:787025066401
Tire Size:28 x 10.00-15
Wheel Diameter:15 in.
Sidewall Style:Blackwall
Tire Construction:Radial
Tire Diameter:28.00 in.
Section Width:10.30 in.
Tread Width:8.70 in.
Minimum Recommended Wheel Width:7.00 in.
Maximum Recommended Wheel Width:8.50 in.
Directional:Yes
Speed Rating:H
Asymmetrical Tread Pattern:No
Tread Depth:8/32 in.
DOT-Approved:Yes
Tube Required:No
Max Load Single (lbs):1,335 lbs.
Quantity:Sold individually.
i do not think this tire will fit a stock 67 wheel well regardless of the offset of the rim...

They will fit if the wheel size and backspace is right. 15x7" with 4 1/4 bs and an 15x8 with 5 1/4" bs fits these tires and they're fatter than those Sportsman SR's

MT Et Street Drag Radial 275-60-15
Brand: Mickey Thompson
Manufacturer's Part Number: 3754R
Part Type: Tires
Product Line: Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial Tires
Summit Racing Part Number: MTT-3754R

UPC: 029142619185
Tire Size: 275/60-15
Wheel Diameter: 15 in.
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Tire Construction: Radial
Tire Diameter: 28.00 in.
Section Width: 11.00 in.
Tread Width: 9.50 in.
Minimum Recommended Wheel Width: 7.50 in.
Maximum Recommended Wheel Width: 9.50 in.
Directional: Yes
Asymmetrical Tread Pattern: No
DOT-Approved: Yes
Tube Required: No
Tire Compound: R2
Quantity: Sold individually.
Posted By: Jeff_383

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/22/13 03:34 AM

This man speaks the truth. I have M&H 275/60 drag radials on my 67 with no body mods, but SS springs I do have. A 15x7 rim with 4.25 BS. Tight, but it fits.

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/22/13 04:18 PM

I just purchased a set of 15x8's with 4.5" bs for the satellite. I plan on putting 255/60's on them. I currently run the same tire on a 15x7 w/ 4-1/4" bs, and I have a good 3/4" clear.

I'll post up with pics when I get them mounted.

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/26/13 11:19 PM

It's been a busy week of non car stuff so I finally got the new axles in the dana and got to do the trail fitment of the drag radial on it.

As stated before, the dana is 1 inch narrower than the stock rear end was.

The weight is on the suspension in these pics.

There more room to the springs than I was expecting.
The spot that looks like it will be the closest will be on the inner wheel tubs at the top when the suspension is compressed down more than just sitting still.

Now I'm just waiting for the new driveshaft to arrive from Dr.Diff so I can take it for a test drive.

Posted By: modelmakerinc

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/27/13 12:15 AM

That's a tight fit, for drag racing you will probably get away with it just don't drive home after.

Can you please give us a straight on rear and 3/4 angle picture from ten and twenty feet.

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/27/13 12:48 AM

Quote:

That's a tight fit, for drag racing you will probably get away with it just don't drive home after.

Can you please give us a straight on rear and 3/4 angle picture from ten and twenty feet.

They're strictly for the track and it will get trailered there.

I'll probably do a little trimming on the fender lip and roll it some to gain more room anyway.

Once I have the driveshaft I'll take some more pics from further away.
Posted By: rapom

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/27/13 02:02 AM

If you read what 57 sledge said. Use a bottle jack to push out that ridge just above the fender lip. But use a torch and heat each area before pushing it out or you will damage your quarter.

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/27/13 03:49 AM

So it looks like 15 x 8 rim with 5" back space should work for 28 x 10 tires.
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/27/13 06:19 AM

Centerline Competition Revs 15x7's 4" BS
255/60 Mickey Thompson Drag Radials
"Hemi" HD leaf springs

Occasional rubbing on the outside of passenger's side tire, if the car is loaded heavy, and you drive into an uneven entranceway. 11.58-116 with no traction issues.

Attached picture 7791807-summer_027.JPG
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 07/27/13 06:43 AM

The 66 has convo-pro's, can't remember the size, but my brother was so paranoid about not wanting it to rub, he went with 235/70 street tires, all bulged out to fit the wheel. It's been 12.40's on these, but if it spins even a little, let off and coast down track, it'll never recover!

Won't rub with 5 people and luggage, but I think it looks terrible.

Attached picture 7791816-100_0809.jpg

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 09/03/13 11:19 PM

1966 is tight....this is a 15x8 super trick, 4 5/8s BS and they dont look like they will work out for me...

Attached picture 7838393-66bbody007.JPG

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 09/03/13 11:20 PM

drivers side

Attached picture 7838395-66bbody002.JPG

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 09/04/13 06:15 AM

I've been able to take the car for a drive with the drag radials on it and they clear fine on the street.

I've gone over bumpy railroad crossings with no rubbing.
I've tried getting them to rub by every twist and turn that I could and no rubbing yet.

I haven't got to do any runs at the track yet because of the pinion angle being way off.
It's at 10 degrees nose down compared to the trans output shaft.
It's got a definite driveline vibration.

The new longer u-bolts and 6 degree shims showed up (along with the MSD 6AL2) Friday.
I'm hoping to get the shims installed tomorrow, other life issues have been taking up all my time.
Posted By: cudatom

Re: My new drag radials and wheels. **Fitment pics added... - 09/05/13 03:41 AM

On my 67 Belvedere Wagon I was able to fit my brothers Phoenix slicks 28.5 x 9. They have a 12.5" section width and had 1/2 clearance inside and out. This was a 8" rim with 4.5 back space
I plan on running either the Hoosier 28 x 9 or Mickey 28 x 9 as the section width is less. This will give me a little more room.
What is the section width on your drag radials. Just curious.
© 2024 Moparts Forums