Moparts

powerglide in an a-body

Posted By: JesseR

powerglide in an a-body - 07/06/13 05:12 PM

for those of you who run a glide in an a-body, what kind of fitment issues are they? had given thought to making a removable trans tunnel, but really don't want to cut on the car if there is enough room to work on the thing. any pictures would be great,thanks

Attached picture 7767233-9224IMG_1202-Small-.jpg
Posted By: JD Dart

Re: powerglide in an a-body - 07/06/13 05:30 PM

They are a lot smaller footprint then the 727 shouldn't be a problem tranny lines of course are on the wrong side.
Posted By: BB65Barracuda

Re: powerglide in an a-body - 07/06/13 08:48 PM

We used a coan adapter plate and a Glide in the 65.
Best thing I ever did to the car.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: powerglide in an a-body - 07/07/13 04:25 AM

Money ,time,work, takes lots of money and time to get the right crap together to work any better than a 727!
unless the car is under 3000# would not attempt to do so.
then have @ $1500 to spend .
If your having issues with a 727 then look for another builder!
Posted By: Leon441

Re: powerglide in an a-body - 07/07/13 04:48 AM

I think he is running a 904.

If you run an aftermarket JW case you should clear real easy. An ATI or Reid case may get close on the bolt together portion. Probably not. A stock case with shield should still fit but be close.

You wanna buy a good glide that bolts to your small block?
Posted By: Mulehead

Re: powerglide in an a-body - 07/07/13 12:37 PM

A body

Attached picture 7768004-162.JPG
Posted By: Mulehead

Re: powerglide in an a-body - 07/07/13 12:38 PM

A body 1

Attached picture 7768006-161.JPG
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: powerglide in an a-body - 07/07/13 01:43 PM

I will let those that have done it give the details, but remember these changes ($):

• PG Transmission
  • PG Torque converter
  • Shifter
  • Driveshaft
  • Cross member/mount
  • block adapter plate or adapter bellhousing/case
  • Crankshaft adapter hub
  • Special adapter flexplate (with ring gear)
  • Cooler line routing change
  • Flexplate shield or SFI bellhousing
  • Transmission shield or SFI PG case

Re: powerglide in an a-body - 07/07/13 01:54 PM

thanks for the pics. I will be using a jw ultra bell with a stock case for now. I've had good service out of my 904 but with the direction we're going with the duster a glide is the best option.
Leon, do you need a good low 1st gear 904 for that high winding p7!!

Attached picture 7768046-dusterpic.jpg
Posted By: fishy340

Re: powerglide in an a-body - 07/07/13 02:49 PM

car of your caliber will love the ati glide w the supercase,they sell the whole thing to do it in a few hrs.No blanket's or shields and other then putting the cooling lines on first and a 40$ to ur cross member it's simple.
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: powerglide in an a-body - 07/07/13 03:42 PM

Quote:

I will let those that have done it give the details, but remember these changes ($):

• PG Transmission
  • PG Torque converter
  • Shifter
  • Driveshaft
  • Cross member/mount
  • Crankshaft adapter hub

About 2 months ago, I took a serious look at the conversion.. I just couldnt justify the $5500 expense at this time..
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: powerglide in an a-body - 07/07/13 05:09 PM

As far as room you will have no worries. I have done it on a number of a bodies with stock floors. The stock trans crossmember can be easily modified to work with a glide as well. You dont have to spend $5000 unless you want or need to, ie high horsepower car. Lots of stuff on the secondary market as well. The lite car thing is one of those urban myths too. My Valiant weighed 3470 and had no issues with a glide. But it only went 9.0's on motor that way
Posted By: BB65Barracuda

Re: powerglide in an a-body - 07/07/13 05:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

• PG Transmission
  • PG Torque converter
  • Shifter
  • Driveshaft
  • Cross member/mount
  • Crankshaft adapter hub

About 2 months ago, I took a serious look at the conversion.. I just couldnt justify the $5500 expense at this time..

What are you running in the 1/4 with your car?

I had about 850 in the convertor, 500 in the adapter plate and the flywheel set up from Coan and I bout the trans that was a spare from a guy on Racejunk for 750. Trans lines went to a frame mount cooler.
He told me that had the spare on the shelf for 7 years and he never needed it.
That was 11 years ago and the car has had upgrades to the motor and runs consistent 10.0. Its a hardy piece of equipment to say the least.
I wont sit here and argue about the attributes of the 727, I have one in both the dart and the Hemi car at present.
The Dart will definitely get the swap in the future seeing it is a street Strip car.
You will not regret the swap for a track car that is around 3000lbs!
Posted By: jbmopars

Re: powerglide in an a-body - 07/07/13 06:31 PM

I just received my PTC Powerglide on Friday. I don't have it in the car yet, but it is small and should fit with no problems. Mine has 180 low gear, hardened input and output shafts, 10 disc clutch, rollerized SFI two piece REID case, SFI glide to SB Mopar bell, trans brake, designed for 1500 HP, set at my door for 3700$. Custom built converter will be 1000$ from PTC.

Posted By: tboomer

Re: powerglide in an a-body - 07/07/13 06:48 PM

Looks great!! My wife works at a casting plant that makes those cases for Reid....
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: powerglide in an a-body - 07/07/13 08:23 PM

for 7 years and over 300 runs I have the same all stock P/G in my Duster. 5 clutch,factory gears etc, handles 6000 launches and 8 seond passes. never broke a part.

Re: powerglide in an a-body - 07/08/13 10:28 AM

thanks for the replies fellas. I excited to see how the car reacts with the glide. If I don't hit any snags, i'll have way less than 5 grand in the swap.
Posted By: Ian

Re: powerglide in an a-body - 07/08/13 05:25 PM

fits in easy ,i run jw bell with 6cld glide case std 1.76 1st i can hook you up new converter and trans brake glide for 1500 850 hp rated ,
© 2024 Moparts Forums