Moparts

Would you let someone else drive your car?

Posted By: tboomer

Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 11:10 AM

I am thinking that Jimmy will have my junk ready to go long before the docs clear me to drive...And I trust him or lonemopar if they would drive for me. My grandson,Alex also wants to try it,but I don't think he is ready! So...Do any of you guys let someonelse drive? And yes....I am bored to death!!
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 11:16 AM

Always have..

Actually have never driven my car.. Not ever..

Chris..
Posted By: MPerry

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 11:18 AM

In your case with a person that is trusted yes.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 11:31 AM

I have thought of it, but due to the wild handling from time to time it would only be someone that has gone as fast in a car similar in handling.
Ted, Like Cab Burge I must be living in a gave. Ticker giving you issues? Glad to hear you are home and waiting on approval to drive, sorry to hear you have to wait!
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 11:35 AM

Jimmy and Steves cars run into the 8s..They could eat a sandwich and open a soda driving mine!! Greg...I had some blood vessles pop in my head. They got the bleeding stopped.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 11:39 AM

Yes if I know and trust them, here a few years ago Bondo Bob took mine the the Norwalk Mopar world finals while I was in the hospital, I actually offered it to him because he didn't have a ride at the time.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 01:19 PM

Yes... I have had a driver in the past... if your
grandson wants to and you think you can teach him then
go with him... slow the car down till he gets use
to it
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 01:24 PM

The only problem I see Ted is if someone drove your car on its FIRST 9 second pass that might be hard to watch.
Posted By: Gearhead383

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 01:43 PM

If I let someone drive my car, and I have, I assume all the risks. Therefore, if they totaled the car, it would be my fault for letting them drive and would not hold the driver responsible. If I didn't think that person could handle the car, I would not have offered it in the first place. On the other hand, I have offered others a chance to get behind the wheel, but they told me if they wrecked it, they could not afford to replace it and chose not to drive.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 02:11 PM

only someone you trust...set the limits and let er ripppppppppppppppppp

and yes, when my junk gets finished, if I ever do, I'll let someone take it down...

I have my own limits...
Posted By: Duner

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 02:25 PM

It's a matter of trust.
You have to be prepared to accept the fact that somebody else might damage or destroy your car whether it was their fault or not. It will all be on your nickel. Whoever you put in the seat - give them some time to get used to it.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 03:05 PM

Quote:

Yes... I have had a driver in the past... if your
grandson wants to and you think you can teach him then
go with him... slow the car down till he gets use
to it

my thoughts too!
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 03:21 PM

most of the hotrodders i know have chebies,so my answer would be .NO
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 03:47 PM

I offered driving my car to the guy who has helped me for the last few years. He's building his own car but I thought it would be good for him to make a few passes first. I was going to slow it down with the stop. However strapped in he could not reach the pedals and the seat is not movable. In a way I was glad but he sure was disapointed.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 03:51 PM

I have had 4-5 drivers in my car.. so yes..as long as they have driven and own thier owe car..I get [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] out about this because I can drive it myself but I like to shap the fun.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 04:17 PM

I would and have had a number of people drive my car. My car is very safe and easy to drive. I have offered it up a number of times and will do so again. I have let three people get the licening passes in my car. Two people have driven it and broke it, not there fault as previously stated my dime. Next in line will be my son, hopefully before the end of the season we will get him in it and licensed.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 04:47 PM

I've driven other peoples cars, and I've let my brother drive mine. I wouldn't have a problem loaning the car out to certain people, obviously there needs to be a level of trust there. As stated, if something does break, or the car gets wrecked, I wouldn't expect payment, just as easily could happen with me in the seat.

I agree with the others, now might be a good time to slow the car down a bunch and let your grandson take it for a pass. I'd never been faster than 15.0's at 80 mph when my dad tossed me the keys to his 70 challenger. First pass was 13.0@110 walking into it, the second was 12.47@111 getting on it a little quicker. Been hooked since.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 05:00 PM

I do with people who also have cars that I would want to drive at least. My wife is welcome to but is intimidated too lol.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 06:13 PM

I've let three other people, two freinds and my Son in Law drive my cars, it gives me a chance to watch the car and learn from those passes We use to video the cars a lot when sorting them out, I go to the races alone usually now, maybe with other racers with thier cars, so I don't have anyone to run the camera now The new owner of my old Duster is a better driver than I was, according to his results Sometimes it pays to step back and watch
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 08:01 PM

I've let a couple good friend's drive mine over the years, one of which I was able to add to my current insurance policy for no additional cost when we ran a few of the Pinks All out deals they just wanted to know who was driving it down the track other than me. Oh and I drove a Pontiac for someone else at Pinks as well

Attached picture 7748278-61297_159770654034978_344430_n.jpg
Posted By: oldtimer5151

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 08:38 PM

I broke my back in four places c1,2,7,&3 in `09 and they grew back crooked. I also have an atero veinous malady waiting to burst on the left side of my brain. It was the hardest thing that I have done is to watch some one drive my car. But, I have trained 2 drivers to drive better than I did. It is kind of bitter sweet ho have some on drive you car after 53 years, but I still can`t wait to go racing.
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 08:51 PM

I let a buddy run mine from time to time but he has also helped me work on every aspect of it. We all know the risks so you can't expect to hold someone accountable if something happens if you allow them to drive.I agree with "Cab" it's nice to watch your car to see what it does in person. Ironically my buddy hasn't asked to drive since the last time out, He claims the wall came at him pretty fast

Attached picture 7748324-wchra#2.jpg
Posted By: AAR-B4

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 09:55 PM

Would you let someone else drive your car?

Yes, right after the purchase is complete.
Posted By: Abodyjohn88

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 10:21 PM

I let my girlfriend drive my cuda when we go out cruising, I want her to race it when mopar at e town comes up because I'm going to be driving my grandfathers car this year but she still is on the fence if she wants to race it. She does very well behind the wheel but than again my car only runs mid 12s in the quarter.....
Posted By: sdaurity

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/19/13 10:36 PM

My car probrably not. I have quite a few customers of mine that never drive their cars. I have made passes in dozens of other peoples cars. I have a few that have no business driving a car, does that count?? LOL
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/20/13 12:54 AM

No one but me has ever been behind the wheel of my truck. I don't think I'd ever let anyone try it either. It can be very unpredictable at times and has tryed to kill me on more than one occasion. I've got some friends that won't even get in the passenger seat. It can get your heart thumping now and then.Dave
Posted By: Eric

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/20/13 02:19 AM

Wafflebatter has driven mine...and I have driven his. A local PRP racer drove mine once also...he has a 8.40 Camaro. That being said...my car is not really a "beginner" ride due to the minuscule wheelbase so it would have to be an experienced driver. And as it was stated before...it's my ride...if someone wades it up it's my problem.
Posted By: Duner

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/20/13 02:59 AM

Mine used to be plain evil to drive.... but has calmed down tremendously after making it hook, relocating the rearend in the truck square, and fixing the aero front-end lift it had. It's beginning to feel like a 15-second truck again! I wouldn't be THAT scared to let somebody drive it now.
Posted By: RBDuster

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/20/13 03:17 AM

I have and will let an experienced driver drive my car. Others have also let me drive there's. Make sure you understand that anything can happen no matter who is behind the wheel.
Posted By: 2qik4u

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/20/13 04:23 AM

My wife has run mine in powder puff and I have let others drive it on the street. It's just a car. It's just a matter of making sure whoever it is can run it safely.
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/20/13 07:30 AM

Way back, I let a complete novice attempt to make a pass in my car. At the time it was a low 12 second car. He made it about 60 feet and was surprised at the launch and shaken up, he idled the rest of the way down the track. Then my wife took it out and hammered the car, she beat a bunch of guys that day and has never driven it since. I did loan it to a good friend who had broken his car and was in a points race. He went rounds and finished well. His car in the photo. My new ride is intended to be driven by myself, my daughters, granddaughters and grandson and I am going to make it safer than anything I had before. My old friend is going to be listed as "co-pilot" RIP

Attached picture 7748892-JYD2.jpg
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/20/13 01:39 PM

I've only let one other guy drive mine at the track. He's used to driving pro mods, so I felt comfortable w/ his ability.

My dad and one of my sisters have driven my car on the street. My wife can barely see over the dash and reach the pedals, lol.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/20/13 01:50 PM

Quote:

I've only let one other guy drive mine at the track. He's used to driving pro mods, so I felt comfortable w/ his ability.

My dad and one of my sisters have driven my car on the street. My wife can barely see over the dash and reach the pedals, lol.

Funny you said that Chip..when I first met my wife she climbed in mine and promptly told me I had to move the pedals so she could drive it.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/20/13 03:51 PM

When I bought my Duster I never even sat in the seat for 3 years. Matt was driving it and I was quite happy in the Daytona. The day I rolled the Daytona I told him to get his Duster done as he was about ready to get dumped out of the seat. As far as driving the Daytona I always let him drive it around the pits to get it heat soaked but never felt comfortable letting him race it. As good as that car and chassis was if something wasn't right like a COLD track you have to know how, when, and where to do something pretty quick. He spun his bosses 9 second Avenger in the traps when the engine left go and never hit anything and came back to the pits like he was just at Walmart. His boss thanked him and said he was REAL GLAD his wife who usually drives the car wasn't driving at the time.
Posted By: cudasteve68

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/20/13 04:55 PM

I have let a friend run mine a few times when I was in the hospital after my car crash. He ran it at the World Finals at Norwalk in 2005 & few points races during the summer. He also raced my old Dart. The only bad part of it was he did better than I did!!! He also ran my motor in his old max wedge car.
Posted By: JBurch

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/20/13 10:06 PM

I have let another person drive my car, and have offered to others. They were co-workers who worked on the car with me; I don't drink so I didn't buy their help with beer; I thought seat time was a cool reward for their help. One co-worker who took me up on the offer had never been down a 1/4 mile before, went 12.9** something if foggy memory serves me right. He said it had been awhile since he'd been in a car that set him back in the seat, he'd forgotten the feeling. Other co-worker I offered the seat to politely declined, he was worried about breaking the car; I said don't worry about it, but he hasn't taken a ride.

All that said, I'd only offer to people I trust...........

Attached picture 7749445-skyview732010033.JPG
Posted By: cudaboy

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/20/13 11:10 PM

Depending on the person, yes.

Dennis
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/21/13 12:47 AM

In 26 years I hadn't let anyone but me drive. I had a friend that came down from Canada that was in the IHRA points race and could claim 1 more race drive it.

I got to snap the pictures.

Sitting over the front wheel it feels like this.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/busch_bob/8600312291/

Only four feet higher, No hood or fenders to look over
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/21/13 01:02 AM

I have let my wife drive my cars a couple of times. Both times were while a bunch of us were pushing it on/in the trailer after I broke it ..!!
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/21/13 01:04 AM

This is something I am tossing around right now. There is no way for me to drive all the drives in dragweek myself. That is the part that is so hard. I need a cracker jack wrencher that understands what I have. Then someone I can trust not to get the car impounded during dragweek drives. No sense in wrecking a high dollar ereplaceable car because you can't stay awake.

Leon
Posted By: ChrisJohnston669

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/21/13 01:40 AM

I have driven a lot of peoples cars. I have also let friends drive mine. Its fun to drive and watch.
Posted By: babarracuda

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/21/13 01:57 PM

If I felt comefortable with them, I think everyone should feel a 1.50 or better 60'. It takes your breath away then first time.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/21/13 02:15 PM

I let Blusmbl drive the GTX on the street. He seemed to enjoy it, and it was worth letting him give it a try.
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/21/13 08:56 PM

I definitely remember that! One of my fonder Mopar memories for sure.

I don't think anybody else drove my Charger, although nobody who I would've let asked. Several people have driven all of my other cars, and my motorcycles.
Posted By: topside

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/21/13 10:11 PM

I let one of my Ford buddies drive the Duster once, because his car was similar ET/MPH and he's been at it a long time. It was good to see it leave & run from outside.
I should probably put him in the thing now: he's won 3 events in a row in his car. Plus, it would be nice to have some help, but he's 200 miles away. I've had offers of "help" but only from people who want to be entertained and aren't familiar with or serious about the car. That's why I built the '64, something that (at least in theory) I can drive to the track & back home, and not fuss with.
Posted By: Joesixpack

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/22/13 03:56 PM

Yes,sometimes its helpful from a tuning aspect...driving them and tuning at same time...to be able to observe the burnout,stage&launch,shift points,cars reaction,etc is valuable info.My build is almost done and even though it s only a low 12 second foot brake car,am looking for someone younger,sharper,quicker reflexes...to pilot it,medical/health issues sometimes dictate a driver swap/change.
Posted By: 73-Dart-sport

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/23/13 03:28 PM

Both my son and daughter took a test pass with me and fell in love with it. We put a stop on it and slowed it down a little. Both their first passes were still in the mid to high 11.60's to 11.70's. Awful fast for beginners. Now both have taken many passes with my son having the best 1/4. Car runs in the mid 9.70's to 9.80's. Be prepared to spend a lot more time watching and helping then driving once others start driving. It's more fun to do it as a family!
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/23/13 07:04 PM

A long time ago (late 60's) I had a '67 Mustang (289 4 barrel, 4 speed) and was at Puyallup (RIP) for a night race. Struck up a conversation with the owner of a '55 Chev, he was there with is girlfriend and was drinking in the pits (common for the time, must be why Puyallup is no more). Anyway I drove his car for couple of passes and did better than he did ET wise and we both learned a little in the process. He and his car survived the night and he learned to leave the alcohol at home if he really wanted to race
Posted By: DakFink

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/24/13 10:02 AM

Quote:

This is something I am tossing around right now. There is no way for me to drive all the drives in dragweek myself. That is the part that is so hard. I need a cracker jack wrencher that understands what I have. Then someone I can trust not to get the car impounded during dragweek drives. No sense in wrecking a high dollar ereplaceable car because you can't stay awake.

Leon

When is DragWeek this year?

That is a good plan. I don't think many plan it that way BUT many (I wanna Go To ; Friends) get roped into driving quite a bit.

Makes since and makes things safer.
Posted By: DakFink

Re: Would you let someone else drive your car? - 06/24/13 10:09 AM

On topic:

Only if I know the person has experience in a Similar or faster car. OR the car is de-tuned/ limited and the person starts off slow and builds their way up.

Of course either way it has to be someone I know with a Good reputation.
© 2024 Moparts Forums