Moparts

Broke the trans again

Posted By: hemi-itis

Broke the trans again - 05/17/13 03:53 AM

Went for a ride Tuesday night and had the chance to try WOT on a nice 2 lane concrete highway.At the top of 2nd just when I clicked high gear I heard and felt a major BOOM under my feet .Clicked the key off and watched out the rearview mirror expecting see all kinda parts trailing me.Rolled to the side of the road and looked under the car to see everything in place and nothing leaking so I restarted the engine and went through the gears,but nothing happened
After I got a ride to get my flatbed,towed it back to my shop,put it up on jackstands and pulled the pan to find NOTHING but clean fluid
Pulled the unit out last night and called it a day.Went and pulled the trans apart today and found a broken retainer hub on the back of the input shaft.
I see a new heavy duty maybe billit replacement in my future.
Who should I get a new one from?TCS,Cope,,,,,or???

Attached picture 7708684-5.16.13023.jpg

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/17/13 03:55 AM

Attached picture 7708688-5.16.13021.jpg
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/17/13 04:58 AM

TCS sells some nice input shafts that are bigger diameter at the hub end.

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/17/13 12:56 PM

I broke the same part about about9 years ago when I tried srayin outta the hole.I shoulda bought the good part then
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/17/13 01:05 PM

ouch! The good news is yer makin some torque! Its great when that BOOM is only going to cost hundreds! Vs thousands!
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/17/13 06:46 PM

I have seen them break when machined too much to fit a torrington bearing into them. On my 727, I only cleaned up the area for the torrington and took material off the front drum to make up for the axial distance change.

But they do make a stronger aftermarket part too.

Attached picture 7709262-Rear_piston_retainer_cracks1a600.JPG
Posted By: dOOc

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/17/13 06:54 PM

'itis ... it is that heavy shifter and all those gauges that is weighing-the-car-down and putting strain on the drivetrain ...
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/17/13 06:56 PM

I'm really glad it broke the way it did and didn't hurt you Instead of exploding like a hand grenade It is thin where it failed
Posted By: Dap

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/17/13 07:02 PM

When I had mine apart the last time I found six cracks in mine. Time for an upgrade while you are there.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/17/13 09:21 PM

You should probably replace anything that is available billet now and be done with it . I'm sure you know you are only going to keep finding the weakest links as you go .

What parts are in it now , Drum ? Sprag ? Pump gears ? front Planet ? Output shaft ?
Posted By: 540dust

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/18/13 12:41 AM

This came out of a customer's trans, suspected/witnessed that the brake was set while cruising in the pits, maybe a couple of times, so it could have experienced some "impacts". Odd thing is when it broke it was in 4th round eliminations running me. Anyway, they brake there.

Attached picture 7709579-727clutchhub.JPG

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/18/13 02:11 AM

I got their billet fron drum so I went back to them for the shaft & hub http://www.tcsproducts.com/products/product/17/

Will have new parts on Tuesday and will go to Tom's house and have him take care of it

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/18/13 02:13 AM

Quote:

ouch! The good news is yer makin some torque! Its great when that BOOM is only going to cost hundreds! Vs thousands!

LMOL. You got that right Greg
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/18/13 02:16 AM

I have never had enough power to do the damage I am seeing here. I have broken extension housings and blown the servos out of the case due to bad or badly installed snap rings. It seems to me you might be wise to invest in either a PG or a TH400 with an Ultrabell. There has to be a point where it just makes sense to change, but I don't know where that is.

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/18/13 02:16 AM

Quote:

'itis ... it is that heavy shifter and all those gauges that is weighing-the-car-down and putting strain on the drivetrain ...

I have that lightweight plutonium/unobtainium shifter material that was scientificly balanced.

I should be in the Keys for that race

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/18/13 02:21 AM

Quote:

You should probably replace anything that is available billet now and be done with it . I'm sure you know you are only going to keep finding the weakest links as you go .

What parts are in it now , Drum ? Sprag ? Pump gears ? front Planet ? Output shaft ?

Just ordered the pump gears http://www.tcsproducts.com/products/product/478/

My builder is confident I won't break the stock output
Have the drum,sprag,A&A planets but no brake.I'll stick to footbraken

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/18/13 02:23 AM

Quote:

I'm really glad it broke the way it did and didn't hurt you Instead of exploding like a hand grenade It is thin where it failed

I'm happy it happened in the street and not after I hauled everything and everybody to the track.Maybe next week

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/18/13 02:25 AM

Quote:

I have never had enough power to do the damage I am seeing here. I have broken extension housings and blown the servos out of the case due to bad or badly installed snap rings. It seems to me you might be wise to invest in either a PG or a TH400 with an Ultrabell. There has to be a point where it just makes sense to change, but I don't know where that is.

I'm way past that point.You'll never see a GM trans in my mopar,I won't give up my pushbutton shifter!!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/18/13 02:29 AM

Thats been cracked for a while... shouldnt blow that
going into high(less torque at that point) plus it has
some shine and smooth edges.... JMO
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/18/13 02:35 AM

Maybe it's time for a change

Attached picture 7709716-Liberty-Gears-Cobra-Jet-cutaway.jpg

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/18/13 02:46 AM

Quote:

Maybe it's time for a change

Ya know,,,,,there is still a clutch pedal in the car

But I like pushing buttons

Attached picture 7709727-IMG_1726.JPG

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/18/13 03:04 AM

Quote:

I have that lightweight plutonium/unobtainium shifter material that was scientificly balanced.

I should be in the Keys for that race

ALL 'dat trick material isn't going to help you there ....

And WITCH race 'itis ? .... there are THREE RACES in 'da Keys ... two in KW and one in Marathon ....

...and next year Sarasota will have TWO races ....
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/18/13 05:46 AM

Its funny all the talk about switching to GM transmissions in cars and all the really fast Duramax diesel guys talk about switching to Dodge transmissions in their drag trucks.
Posted By: Defbob

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/18/13 04:13 PM

Quote:

Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/18/13 07:56 PM

CRT, A&A and finally go over to Curt here in Brooklyn and give the Maestro a try. He should make that thing wail and leave no parts trail.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/18/13 10:51 PM

If your going to stay with the 727, id talk to COPE,
Saying you would never put a t400 in there.....You just don't realize what parts are available and whats really better to handle the power.
I talked to Cope and Rossler when I had enough of broken trans and parts...Cheaper in the long run to put a GOOD unit in there that will handle all that you can put in front of it
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/18/13 11:33 PM

A Rossler would probably slow you down but wouldn't stop you.

Glad the damage was minimal. Could have gotten UGLY
Posted By: Swedcharger67

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/19/13 08:37 AM

Could an alignment problem with the crankshaft contribute to the failure?
I'm right now installing a stiff, SFI-approved flexplete and I guess this will put higher requirements on the alignment of the input shaft with the crankshaft?

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/19/13 03:37 PM

That "stock" retainer hub seems to be alright till about 700 ft lbs.The new stuff is good to well over 2000 ft lbs.The only thing left is the stock output shaft which will stay on my bucket list.I had to tap into my data logger fund to buy theses parts
Posted By: Voluster

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/20/13 03:50 AM

I broke one of those in the burnout box

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/20/13 03:54 AM

Quote:

That "stock" retainer hub seems to be alright till about 700 ft lbs.The new stuff is good to well over 2000 ft lbs.The only thing left is the stock output shaft which will stay on my bucket list.I had to tap into my data logger fund to buy theses parts

AREN'T YOU about 2200 pounds with all those gauges and HEFTY shifter ?.....

Re: Broke the trans again - 05/20/13 04:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

AREN'T YOU about 2200 pounds with all those gauges and HEFTY shifter ?.....

2200 lbs would make me about a second and a 1/2 faster

Attached picture 7712196-5.16.13026.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums