Moparts

distributor help needed

Posted By: 440forPOWER

distributor help needed - 05/12/13 02:19 PM

Hello, I bought a Mopar distributor from FBO. It was suppose to be setup for my combo. I bought it for a new 470 street combo. When I tried to start the car it had no spark. Threw the old distributor for the original 383 instant fire.
I realized the pickup gap was way off. So I set it and tried it again. It popped right off. But if I gave it any gas at all it loaded up and backfired through the exhaust. What could be causing this? Should I replace the pickup? Good thing I paid extra to have this setup for my combo. Thanks FBO
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: distributor help needed - 05/12/13 02:31 PM

Quote:

Hello, I bought a Mopar distributor from FBO. It was suppose to be setup for my combo. I bought it for a new 470 street combo. When I tried to start the car it had no spark. Threw the old distributor for the original 383 instant fire.
I realized the pickup gap was way off. So I set it and tried it again. It popped right off. But if I gave it any gas at all it loaded up and backfired through the exhaust. What could be causing this? Should I replace the pickup? Good thing I paid extra to have this setup for my combo. Thanks FBO

Could be the pick up or the phasing is out
Posted By: Wedgeman

Re: distributor help needed - 05/12/13 04:13 PM

I just had exactly the same problem with mine last week in my small block.....

turned out the reluctor under the rotor was in the slot for a big block.

There is a slot with lock pin for clockwise rotation(sb) and couter clockwise rotation (bb).

You want to check that out...

Just a guess from my experience

Dan
Posted By: hankcrank

Re: distributor help needed - 05/12/13 05:32 PM

If the dist. is not a locked in advance position style the mechanical advance might not be advancing. With the cap off grab the rotor and see if it will move counter clockwise and then return to it's original position. Just might need a little lube. Hope this helps good luck.
Posted By: Joshs68

Re: distributor help needed - 05/12/13 06:13 PM

That sucks. I have an FBO in my 470 and it works great. Call them or send it back.

Re: distributor help needed - 05/12/13 06:18 PM

Hi Josh hows it going. I tried giving him a call and keep getting the run around. He also charged me for a msd pigtail that I never received. I was told not once but on 4 different occasions that it would be sent out. Never received it. Never see another dime from me.
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: distributor help needed - 05/12/13 07:02 PM

Give me a call. You can have a Firecore this week. Guarantee you will like it. Low deck? Plug and play into your Chrysler Electronic?

Re: distributor help needed - 05/13/13 03:38 PM

Would having the polarity on the mag pickup reversed cause the backfire out of the exhaust and run like crap under load? Thanks
Posted By: formula S

Re: distributor help needed - 05/13/13 04:09 PM

yes
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: distributor help needed - 05/13/13 04:12 PM

Quote:

Would having the polarity on the mag pickup reversed cause the backfire out of the exhaust and run like crap under load? Thanks

It can... its like changing the timing(it reads on
the other side of the relutor.. on the closing side
VS the opening side)

Re: distributor help needed - 05/13/13 06:18 PM

OK, I'll have to check that out. I thought it would just change the timing a bit. But this just popped and backfired under any load. I noticed the colors of the wires coming off the mag pickup are reversed between the two distributors.
© 2024 Moparts Forums