Moparts

race car paint

Posted By: 68cuda2003

race car paint - 05/11/13 03:10 PM

If you wanted to keep the burnout and gunk off of your fenders, what would you coat the fenders with? Suggestions have been pam, vaseline, wd 40, etc. Dont want to take a chance of messing up my paint but Im ready to get to the track. Thanks for all suggestions. Ken
Posted By: fun4door

Re: race car paint - 05/11/13 03:30 PM

They make a clear plasti-dip in a spray can. Works awesome, spray on a couple coats race the weekend then peel it off just like a sticker.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: race car paint - 05/11/13 04:16 PM

We dont use anything, nothing we tried really worked well. I have not tried the Jeddex product though...Just clean it off afterwards. FWIW nothing will protect it from the rocks, etc that get on the tires in the pits.
Posted By: topside

Re: race car paint - 05/11/13 04:18 PM

Another couple options:
1. mudflaps that extend back to the rear
2. clear protective applique (aka "clear-bra" or "helicopter tape").
The rubber is one thing; from years of burnouts, the lower quarters on my Duster are peppered with stone chips.
For my '64, I made some mudflaps that have a horizontal extension that runs back to the rear. 3 quick fasteners attach them. Required drilling 3 small holes each, not really visible but unfortunately necessary.
Posted By: domingo

Re: race car paint - 05/11/13 05:42 PM

I would say burnout paint chips are part of a real race car paintjob. Mud flaps are for pickups!
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: race car paint - 05/11/13 06:04 PM

Quote:

I would say burnout paint chips are part of a real race car paintjob. Mud flaps are for pickups!

THIS. I leave the rubber on the quarters so if we ever go to a show, no one confuses it with a trailer queen. Rubber is slightly acidic, so it will eat paint a bit. Didn't see any damage on the '64 when I scraped years of rubber off but it theoretically can happen. 3m makes a clear plastic that you can apply to it if it really bothers you.
Posted By: 383man

Re: race car paint - 05/11/13 06:42 PM

I always wax my lower 1/4 panels before I go racing. Lets the rubber come of much easier. Ron
Posted By: cudasteve68

Re: race car paint - 05/13/13 05:42 PM

Quote:

I agree, also known as "Hill Billy Undercoating" Mine has 10 years of undercoating on it. I spray them off really good a few times a year at the car wash.

Attached picture 7704268-KINGFISH.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums