Moparts

molnar cranks

Posted By: mopar dave

molnar cranks - 05/11/13 02:41 PM

I hear the molnar cranks are made in china. Hows the quality on these cranks,any good.
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: molnar cranks - 05/11/13 05:00 PM

My understanding is that they are forged in China, machined here. I just got a Gen 3 Hemi crank and rods. Everything has checked out fine so far.
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: molnar cranks - 05/11/13 05:02 PM

Very good pieces for the money. I have been dealing with them almost since day one of the old K1 days, and have always liked their stuff. They are a good value, and I use and sell them with confidence...
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: molnar cranks - 05/11/13 08:25 PM

Quote:

Very good pieces for the money. I have been dealing with them almost since day one of the old K1 days, and have always liked their stuff. They are a good value, and I use and sell them with confidence...

This , if a person can only afford a CCJ crank then this is the Crank to buy , unlike many others , this one is ready to run, and if it's not you won't get a song and dance or told to scrape bearings to make it work .
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: molnar cranks - 05/11/13 11:54 PM

ok thanks for the info. so these molnar crank are the same as k1 then? had someone else tell me the same.
Posted By: STEFF

Re: molnar cranks - 05/12/13 01:01 AM

Tom Molnar started/owned K1. He then sold it to Carrillo, and started Molnar Technologies.
Posted By: lowflyingdart

Re: molnar cranks - 05/12/13 03:16 PM

Quote:

Tom Molnar started/owned K1. He then sold it to Carrillo, and started Molnar Technologies.

Before K1 Tom ran Oliver, when he left there, they stopped building crankshafts. You will not find a better crank for the money or better customer service than Molnar Tech.
Posted By: SC304

Re: molnar cranks - 05/15/13 02:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Before K1 Tom ran Oliver, when he left there, they stopped building crankshafts. You will not find a better crank for the money or better customer service than Molnar Tech.

never had an issue with Toms products. I run them in my Gen 3 Super Stocker and have had zero issues. Very Knowledgeable and friendly on the phone.

Mike
Posted By: racerx

Re: molnar cranks - 11/27/18 12:47 PM

Anyone ever use one of these cranks in a boosted application work ?
Posted By: dvw

Re: molnar cranks - 11/27/18 04:16 PM

I've had zero issues with my Molnar crank and rods. 4.500, 7.100. Measurements and weights were spot on. Easy to balance, light. Tom is great answering questions as well.
Doug
Posted By: Eric

Re: molnar cranks - 11/27/18 04:38 PM

Molnar in the Arrow also....Mike Janis built my mill and said it was a very nice piece.
Posted By: GY3

Re: molnar cranks - 11/27/18 05:12 PM

I have over 5,500 street miles and 100's of 1/4 mile passes on my 4.25 BB Molnar crank and 7.1" rods. My machinist sees a lot of different brands and was very impressed with the quality. Crank and rods needed NOTHING (he's picky, too!) and everything balanced easily.
Posted By: 67mprfan

Re: molnar cranks - 11/27/18 06:33 PM

That's good to hear because I couldn't resist cyber Monday deals and ordered a crankshaft from Mancini
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: molnar cranks - 11/27/18 06:55 PM

While I have not purchased a crank from Molnar I have purchased a couple of sets of rods.

I have great respect for Tom Molnar and would not hesitate to buy anything that he sells.

Re: molnar cranks - 11/27/18 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By 340Cuda
While I have not purchased a crank from Molnar I have purchased a couple of sets of rods.

I have great respect for Tom Molnar and would not hesitate to buy anything that he sells.

He is a stand up guy for sure...and a dog lover which makes him excellent in my book wink
Posted By: rebel

Re: molnar cranks - 11/27/18 11:43 PM

I brought a Molnar crank to replace a 440 Source crank. Comparing the 2, they looked like twins except the Molnar finishing was a little tidier.
Posted By: jyrki

Re: molnar cranks - 11/28/18 08:16 AM

I have used them in boosted application. Zero problems with the crank. Calculated 1660hp.

Re: molnar cranks - 11/28/18 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By jyrki
I have used them in boosted application. Zero problems with the crank. Calculated 1660hp.

Thaxs this what I wanting to hear. up
Posted By: BradH

Re: molnar cranks - 11/28/18 02:54 PM

Any truth to some comments I've heard that K1's QC has gone down since Tom Molnar sold it and started his new company?
Posted By: BradH

Re: molnar cranks - 11/28/18 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By mopar dave
I hear the molnar cranks are made in china...

I think there are only a few companies today whose crankshaft forgings DON'T come from China, and those places don't sell BBM cranks for much under $2K, IIRC.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: molnar cranks - 11/28/18 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By BradH
Any truth to some comments I've heard that K1's QC has gone down since Tom Molnar sold it and started his new company?

I don't have both pre and post Tom-departure parts to compare.

However I haven't found any issues with the K1 I picked up recently.

I will admit the only reason I chose it is because it was $150 less than the Molnar, which I'll gladly put towards some other small aspect of the build. If I needed another one today, I would purchase it again without a second thought.

I'm using it with Tom's connecting rods, so I do have some faith in his products, both past and current.

Personally I don't think you could go wrong with either one.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: molnar cranks - 11/28/18 06:47 PM

I like Molnar cranks and rods. I used both in my last low deck 470 engine. That engine made 750 hp on the dyno and everything ran smooth as silk. Rear main seal was dry as a bone which is important too.

Attached picture DSC_0305 (Large).JPG
Posted By: challenger451ci

Re: molnar cranks - 11/28/18 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By racerx

Well then....I guess it's time to step up the fogger jets! Zero issues with my low deck 4.15" Molnar crank. Just a small shot of spray....for now.
Posted By: GY3

Re: molnar cranks - 11/28/18 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By challenger451ci

Well then....I guess it's time to step up the fogger jets! Zero issues with my low deck 4.15" Molnar crank. Just a small shot of spray....for now.

Same thoughts here. My biggest concern is the factory block now. shake_head
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: molnar cranks - 11/29/18 02:57 AM

I was just emailing them again and they said they do not have any center counterweighted cranks. They would be willing to make not one but min five from billet and just stated they would be very expensive.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: molnar cranks - 11/29/18 05:05 AM

Originally Posted By STEFF

I thought it was Weisco...

Re: molnar cranks - 11/29/18 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By astjp2
Originally Posted By STEFF

I thought it was Weisco...

It is...
Posted By: dogdays

Re: molnar cranks - 11/29/18 07:36 PM

W I S E C O is how you spell it. If you're wise.

ANY forged crank that costs less than $1000 got its start in China. I thought it was common knowledge by now.

Most, if not all, of the cast aftermarket cranks were poured in China.

Why China? Because most Americans won't work in a hot, dirty, dangerous place like a foundry. You have to pay them extra. Then, you have the EPA regulating what they can waste into the air and water. Ever wonder why getting new blocks is so difficult? Ever wonder why American foundries are overbooked? They are a dying breed, even as demand stays the same or goes up.

R.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: molnar cranks - 11/29/18 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By dogdays
W I S E C O is how you spell it. If you're wise.

ANY forged crank that costs less than $1000 got its start in China. I thought it was common knowledge by now.

Most, if not all, of the cast aftermarket cranks were poured in China.

Why China? Because most Americans won't work in a hot, dirty, dangerous place like a foundry. You have to pay them extra. Then, you have the EPA regulating what they can waste into the air and water. Ever wonder why getting new blocks is so difficult? Ever wonder why American foundries are overbooked? They are a dying breed, even as demand stays the same or goes up.

R.

Boy you hit that on the nail head.
Even in the steel mills are hands were tied. As a Millwright we used to melt and pour our own lead and babbit bearings for or 30-36 inch shaft rolling mills. We poured our molds and sent them to our in house machine shop to machine after they cold down. We would then get them back to our shop and frost them (hand scrape) then stack them for measuring. We had to outsource them in the late 1990's because we weren't allowed the melt the lead and babbit in our Millwright shop. Quality went down big-time after that.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: molnar cranks - 11/29/18 09:13 PM

I thought molnar and k1(wiseco) were made at the same place by the same company. The molnar box in the pic above looks exactly like a k1 rod box I have... just doesn't say molnar.

Edit: boxes aren't the same, was thinking of another set of rods I had.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: molnar cranks - 11/29/18 09:36 PM

I recently ordered K1 crank and Molnar rods at the same time.

The crank drop shipped from Wiseco in Ohio, the rods shipped from Molnar in Michigan.

I have very limited knowledge of the performance business these days but feel it's probably pretty safe to assume these two companies are closely related, and there is a good chance they share some intelligence.

Posted By: roadrunner34

Re: molnar cranks - 11/30/18 01:54 PM

Currently building a 540 for a blown application. When I called molnar they said the crank could handle it. Machine shop checked it-everything good.I'm having a second keyway cut into it. The indy block on the other hand.....

Re: molnar cranks - 12/01/18 03:36 AM

Thaxs for that info. I'm going to ask my motor builder about these cranks and see what he thinks. I'm getting good reviews on this up
Posted By: 67mprfan

Re: molnar cranks - 12/01/18 03:51 PM

I just received my Molnar Crank yesterday and I only unpacked for a quick glance it looks awesome
Posted By: dvw

Re: molnar cranks - 12/01/18 03:57 PM

Thaxs for that info. I'm going to ask my motor builder about these cranks and see what he thinks. I'm getting good reviews on this up

Why not call Tom himself? He'll ask you about your combo and give an honest answer. I'm sure he knows way more about cranks than all of us and most engine builders.
Doug

Re: molnar cranks - 12/01/18 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By dvw

Why not call Ton himself? He'll ask you about your combo and give an honest answer. I'm sure he knows way more about cranks than all of us and most engine builders.
Doug

iagree that will be the call to make up but just like to get an opinion from a respectable well known engine builder here ………….
© 2024 Moparts Forums