Moparts

carb issues again!!!

Posted By: mopartony

carb issues again!!! - 05/04/13 03:45 AM

Ok so after the brakes are now done. Not quite what I want but they are working and will get addressed. I find another issue.

I can fire and idle the car, no issues. But as soon as I start to get into the throttle it is dumping fuel. I mean badly!! Like 7 mile round trip, never over 2500rpm and I went through 9 gallons of fuel. I limped the car home, pulled all the plugs and fuel in cyl 2,3 and 4. Now the carb was bought in Nov and I was told was rebuilt it came from a reputable person, so no blame to them, just might be a bad carb. I have not touched the fuel regulator, I did rebuild the fuel pump but it went straight to 6.5psi and stays there, drops to about 6.25-6.3 when driving. Which is fine.

Ok so my hope is the carb is junk and just dumping fuel. There was some fuel in the other 5 cyls but nothing like came out of 2-4. literally made a splash on the floor.

Thoughts?

My first is to check the oil and see how much fuel is in it. This will be done tomorrow. But it is not a solution on what is wrong and why it is dumping fuel.

I am going to rename the car money pit....
Posted By: dOc …

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/04/13 04:10 AM

what kind of carb ?
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/04/13 04:16 AM

Could be a bad float.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/04/13 04:18 AM

Holley, sunk float, stuck needle and seat, needle and seat O-ring shrunk... there's a bunch it could be
Posted By: rck850

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/04/13 04:25 AM

I had a bad power valve gasket dump fuel into the motor once. Just another spot to check

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/04/13 05:35 AM

Sorry guys my bad on that.

Holley 950hp converted to run on E-85

I will grab a rebuild kit tomorrow and tear it down. Cheaper than a new carb.

Anything else you all can think of?
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/04/13 06:15 AM

Remember e85 carbs normally run stainless needle and seats and alky pump dia.

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/04/13 06:42 AM

noted. I will make sure I have those.

The carb was converted before I bought it. So I hope, it should have those.

A quick rebuild is the cheapest way.
Posted By: STEFF

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/04/13 01:28 PM

Where you living these days, Tony?

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/04/13 03:49 PM

P.M. sent Steff.

Part store opens in an hour so I will have it this morning and then off to play around. barring something out of the norm, i.e. a date... I will have it back on the car tonight.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/04/13 04:56 PM

Check fuel pressure!
Posted By: Slingshot383

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/04/13 05:03 PM

Make sure the air bleeds are clear, if they get plugged up, your fuel metering will go rich.

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/04/13 05:10 PM

Check fuel pressure! <--- The gage is in my face... I was watching it when it started to run bad. it was 6.2-6.5.

The carb is newly rebuilt, only run maybe 20 min. I will clean the air bleeds but have a hard time seeing such a rich condition with just airbleeds being clogged.

Guys this was close to 9 gallons in 7 miles. I normally get 8mpg and about 2-3mpg when at the track.

But more to take care of.

So I will get fuel, carb rebuild kit, change oil, clean air bleeds, change all above parts and make sure floats are not sunk, stuck and go from there.

Hopefully more details tomorrow. Keep the ideas coming. This is all easy stuff and so much cheaper than a new carb.

Again thanks!!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/04/13 06:06 PM

I dont think your gonna find a E-85 rebuild kit at
your local parts store(its a low demand item)
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/04/13 09:04 PM

Tony, check with Mike at Comp Chassis. He does E85 conversions a lot. He just may have what you are looking for.

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/06/13 03:44 PM

I have tried to get a hold of Mike to do a full on tube car 30K+ and he seemed somewhere between disinterested and your bothering me when I finally talked to him on the phone. Sorry I know he has a pretty good rep here, so I will stop there aside from mentioning that a memeber here called repeatedly who he has done work for alot of work for and got no return call. So I took my business else where.

On to the real issue. I went to the local Hot Rod shop here in Tucson, hat tip to Don's. The guy there said to check for a power valve gasket being off, which I believe was stated here and jets are too big.

So tore the carb apart and sure enough the gasket was off, there was no crush mark on one side. The Jets were 98 front and 99 rear. Being at 2400ft roughly I did not want to take too big of a swing at it. So went to 93 all around. The car started normally 2 pumps then fired and would idle, it was off the idle curcuit too, had to pull it down, it was at about 2200, got it down adjusted the idle bleed screws pulled a little more idle out and set it at 1100. it is a lot less rich.

Mike and other E-85 guys what jets are you running in your car? I am trying to get a baseline of what is run. The car seemed to heat up a little quicker than normal too. I am thinking of going back to the 98's just squaring it up. Thoughts?

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/06/13 03:49 PM

Tony... your air bleeds will dictate what jets you need...
I have 98 squared in my 1050 dom... I forget the bleed sizes

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/06/13 05:11 PM

Thanks Mike,

I will check the bleeds tonight. I am getting excited about driving this thing again. The neighbors know it is here now...

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/06/13 08:30 PM

Are you still driving the A body from back here
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/06/13 08:38 PM

Also, In my opinion, If the fuel poured out of some cylinders, I would seriously remove all plugs, turn motor over by hand to push out fuel, put an air gun nozzle in each hole to dry, and spray some oil in the holes before you fire it up again...otherwize, you could have hydraulic lock and bend some precious parts!

Best of luck to you.

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/06/13 09:15 PM

Mike, yes brought the Duster here in Jan. I am building a new car while I am here, 71 Demon, R5P7, Liberty Extreme 4spd, 9", 4 link, struts in front and a Bruno. should be a fun car. It will be a Nostalgia Pro Stock. But I am going to get a second hood for it and I think a different rear spoiler so it will look modern if I want too. Also a second set of rims. I think this is the most detail I have given on the new project. What size air bleeds do you have in the Dominator?

Charger, already did that. I pulled the plugs when hot and bumped the motor and heard it splash on the floor. Rolled the motor and got it all out. Waited over night then put the plugs in. It is running fine now or is it seems to be. I roll the motor until I get pressure before I start it. I was worried about that too. Just need to change the oil. Going to take it for a quick trip around the block, make sure it is not loading the cylinders with fuel and then change the oil. Don't want to waste the brad penn oil...

I will post tonight what happens, or tonight for me on the west coast.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/06/13 10:40 PM

Quote:

Mike, yes brought the Duster here in Jan. I am building a new car while I am here, 71 Demon, R5P7, Liberty Extreme 4spd, 9", 4 link, struts in front and a Bruno. should be a fun car. It will be a Nostalgia Pro Stock. But I am going to get a second hood for it and I think a different rear spoiler so it will look modern if I want too. Also a second set of rims. I think this is the most detail I have given on the new project. What size air bleeds do you have in the Dominator?

Charger, already did that. I pulled the plugs when hot and bumped the motor and heard it splash on the floor. Rolled the motor and got it all out. Waited over night then put the plugs in. It is running fine now or is it seems to be. I roll the motor until I get pressure before I start it. I was worried about that too. Just need to change the oil. Going to take it for a quick trip around the block, make sure it is not loading the cylinders with fuel and then change the oil. Don't want to waste the brad penn oil...

If you had fuel pumping out of the cyls. that bad, I`d be more worried about the fuel that went past the rings and killing ring seal and diluting the oil and hurting the motor than the Brad Penn oil.............Which is cheaper a re-build or 6-7 quarts of oil.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/06/13 11:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If you had fuel pumping out of the cyls. that bad, I`d be more worried about the fuel that went past the rings and killing ring seal and diluting the oil and hurting the motor than the Brad Penn oil.............Which is cheaper a re-build or 6-7 quarts of oil.

for sure! Compression check ( comparing to previous checks ) might be in order after you get your carb issue squared away. Fuel washing cylinder walls can be a BAD thing.

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/07/13 12:26 AM

All very true. I think I will change oil. I do use a fuel lube with the E-85 so maybe that helped a bit.

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/07/13 12:40 AM

Smart idea and agree about a cranking comp. test to see how it`s sealing. Do u have cranking #`s to compare to? If not no biggie just post em so can see what ya got...........

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/07/13 02:59 PM

Changed the oil. Oil was a little milky, got about an extra half quart so some fuel passed. No compression numbers to compare to. Dont have tester here with me either... It easily pushed my thumb off when I rolled it over and no more came out. Also squirted some oil in the cyl before starting, rolled it over until I had movement on the gage. Fired right up. A little grumpy when it was cold but once warm idled with no issues. 70psi oil pressure. took about 5 min to hit 140 with the pump going.

I will take it around the block tonight, pull the plugs and see if any fuel comes out. But when cracking the throttle it is not pouring fuel like it did before the changes.

So I have my fingers crossed nothing was/is messed up. i am hoping I dodged a bullet by using heavier oil 50w and the fuel lube. If not, well I cross that bridge then.

If I missed something let me know, any thing else that can be checked point it out.

Thanks for the help and tips.

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/07/13 03:47 PM

Pulling the plugs will tell you what`s up but if you can borrow or buy(ther`re cheap)a cranking comp. gauge and see where it`s at that would help OR a leak down tester.............good luck.

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/07/13 06:32 PM

Plugs were good when pulled, clean... I will check them after the run around the block.

I will see if Harbor freight has one. Good call on that I will need it in the future.

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/07/13 06:46 PM

Good luck................ I personally crank mine cold just cos it`s less painfull/easier and hook it up to a batt. charger w/carb wide open...............

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/07/13 07:04 PM

I get the less painful. Used to do leak downs on a 700+ N2O motor after a pass.

I am on it.

Thanks!!
Posted By: 69dart

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/07/13 08:42 PM

I would bet that the float is set just a bit too high. E85 has a different weight than gas so you can't set the float as high as gas or it will pull though the boosters. Same with fuel pressure > can't run as much as gas or it will blow past the seat.

I've been racing on e85 for probably 5 years now and the learning curve was significant.

Check out Vernmotor's post about his e85 adventures with his 950 hp. He had a good baseline for jets and air bleeds. LINK

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/07/13 09:19 PM

Thanks I will read this tonight at home.

Looks like good info there.
Posted By: bentwheel43

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/08/13 03:10 AM

if you change the power valve lately you mite have got the gasket out of line or lose,it would put gas in the motor,I did that loaded the motor with gas.

Re: carb issues again!!! - 05/08/13 02:46 PM

I am thinking that is what happened. When I bought the carb I did not check it. My fault. I found the PV gasket was off, there was no crush on a portion of it.

Jetted down to 93 squared, I think that is a touch lean. Going to go to 95's and let it fly. The motor got a little warm a little to quickly for my liking but could be my sometimers kicking in and me forgetting that is normal....

I am going to get a 50/50 linkage for the secondaries too. But that can wait.

A few other things to take care of on the car and will be ready for the street, I think.

No compression tester to be had I will check the local part houses and see if they rent them.

Not too worried about it. Took it for a test run lastnight and it was peppier than I remember. Just rolling it up to 5k rpm, the converter flashes at 4700, it started to slide around at. So I am thinking she is now good to go.
© 2024 Moparts Forums