Moparts

Slow me down!?!?

Posted By: FlyFish

Slow me down!?!? - 05/02/13 05:20 PM

Will launching the car in second gear (or third) hurt the transmission?

I’m trying to slow the car down about a second for a few races to run in sportsman (12.0 and slower dial)…my car runs 10.80’s normally. I can add enough weight to the car to make it run a between 10.95 and 11.00, so this is my thought to get that last second:

Launch the car in second gear (~0.4 seconds)…or possibly launch in 3rd (not sure what that would do).
Remove the carburetor's secondary linkage so it can’t open (~0.3 seconds).
Retard timing 7 degrees to 27° total (~0.3 seconds).

So, do the times for each suggestion sound about right for slowing the car down?
Does this sound like it would work, and will any of this possibly hurt the motor or trans (this is my MAIN concern)???

Any help, or previous experience with trying any of these is appreciated, thanks!
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/02/13 05:30 PM

Why cant you use a throttle limiter or a rev limiter? Seems easier. If you shift at 6k shift at 5k, instead of wide open, 3/4 throttle. Something like that
Posted By: Dan Brewer

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/02/13 05:37 PM

I have left in 2nd footbrake racing. I went from 10.90's to 11.50's. Really did not change the mph. A good friend of mine builds mopar race trans for a living and didn't advise me against it. It was hard for me to cut a light without deep staging.
Posted By: bwdst6

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/02/13 05:45 PM

I use this… http://www.etgenie.com/

It’s a little expensive. But it is easily adjustable and capable of constantly being fine-tuned to hit whatever number. I need to slow my car down from 10.9 to 11.5 (no roll bar) and it works fine for me.

There is another place that makes changeable restrictor plates that is cheaper.
Posted By: bentwheel43

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/02/13 06:38 PM

We use a Moroso throttle stop,if its on a holley carburator.about $30

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/02/13 06:40 PM

Quote:

Why cant you use a throttle limiter or a rev limiter? Seems easier. If you shift at 6k shift at 5k, instead of wide open, 3/4 throttle. Something like that

Yeah, I tried making a home made throttle stop for the carb....Long story, but the short version is FAIL.

My converter flashes to 5000 and I normally shift ~6200, shifting early doesn't do much (runs close to the same). My car runs 0.04 quicker in the 1/8 if I shift at 6500 instead of 6000. I guess I could try shifting at 5500 and see what that does. Going to hit a test-n-tune in the next week or 2 to get this sorted out.

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/02/13 06:44 PM

That ET Genie looks SWEET, but this is just for a few races so I don't want to drop a ton of money on anything.

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/02/13 06:48 PM

Quote:

We use a Moroso throttle stop,if its on a holley carburator.about $30

Yeah, my home made version sucked big time, I might have to break down and buy one of these eventually. I'm hoping to be able to shave the second off the car with no money spent...but this is definitely a good plan B.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/02/13 06:53 PM

My son had to slow his up from 10.50's to 11.50's before he had a cage put in. He disconnected the secondaries on his 750 doublepumper and wire tied them shut. He then added 200 pounds of lead to the car and lowered his shift point down from the usual 6400 till he found the needed number. The car still reacted very nice on the tree.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/02/13 07:39 PM

Just tie an old FE Ford engine to the rear bumper, that should do the trick.

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/02/13 07:53 PM

Quote:

Either that or put a HEMI in it.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/02/13 07:54 PM

If you have a production throttle cable slide it
forward so you only get part throttle.... this is
what I made for my dom... I slow it down just over
1 second for the 10.0 stuff... plus I lower the launch
rpm and the shift rpm

Attached picture 7691557-DSC00042.JPG

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/02/13 07:58 PM

Quote:

rpm and the shift rpm

I tried moving my throttle cable a little over an inch a few weeks back...only slowed by 0.3 seconds for some weird reason.
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/02/13 08:05 PM

When you tried to adjust the throtle cable, did you look to see how much it actually limited the carb from opening? Did you try a stiffer return spring on your carb. I did this once and it did not slow the carb down until I put on a stiffer return spring. Maybe the air was blowing the butterflies open even with the cable adjusted out. Did you try to shift 1500 rpm or 2000 RPM lower.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/02/13 08:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

rpm and the shift rpm

I tried moving my throttle cable a little over an inch a few weeks back...only slowed by 0.3 seconds for some weird reason.

You will be suprized at how little the throttle will
be open to slow it 1 second... I'm at 1/3 throttle
and launch at 3600 rpm and shift at 5600
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/02/13 11:23 PM

just fender race'm

Rickster
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/02/13 11:51 PM

I'd try this first, It's not cheap...it's FREE!

Disconnecting the secondaries and short shift to fine tune the number.

We tried this device to go from 10.20's to 12.0's and got close...11.77...LOL!

http://www.restrictorplate.com/index.html
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/03/13 12:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

can't believe the Hemi guys here havn't keypad whipped you to death yet!

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/03/13 01:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They are still at the car shows impressing people with their hoods up. They will be here soon.
Posted By: hankcrank

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/03/13 01:54 AM

I have posted this pic a few times now. It is a cheap way of slowing you car down without changing your throttle cable position.With this little spacer the more holes between the cable and the carb lever the slower you will go.

Attached picture 7691950-Picture007copy.jpg
Posted By: 70Dart499

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/03/13 01:57 AM

I have done it some, I only slowed down around .20 doing it, made the car deadly consistent, but you will definately have to adjust to compensate for a slower reaction time.
Posted By: bentwheel43

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/03/13 03:02 AM

the reaction slows too.
Posted By: viperblue72

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/03/13 08:14 AM

I had almost exact combo as yours. I accidentally forgot to put it back in 1st after the burnout and left in 2nd. I only lost 2 tenths.
Posted By: cudasteve68

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/03/13 09:38 PM

just run them down play the finish line
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/03/13 10:15 PM

put a bb 440 in it,the 100lb of weight alone will help...
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/03/13 10:18 PM

Quote:

just run them down play the finish line

If you race against anyone who isn't a fool, this will not work in this case.
Posted By: D-50

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/03/13 11:19 PM

Quote:

I had almost exact combo as yours. I accidentally forgot to put it back in 1st after the burnout and left in 2nd. I only lost 2 tenths.

At T&T last week I forgot to put mine back in first after the burnout.I started off and made the whole run in 3rd gear.Was wondering why the convertor was stalling so much. Did not take long to figure out why. It slowed from a 6.39 to a 6.94 and it has 3.50 gears. That had to be bad on the trans or convertor. Only lost 3 mph.

Attached picture 7692939-CIMG0081.JPG
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/04/13 12:20 AM

Quote:

I have posted this pic a few times now. It is a cheap way of slowing you car down without changing your throttle cable position.With this little spacer the more holes between the cable and the carb lever the slower you will go.

I have done this to go from low 9's to high 12's,
and everything in between
Posted By: babarracuda

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/04/13 04:35 PM

I wanted my car to go in the 12's. I shifted at 5000, put the throttle cable as far forward as possible and disconnected the secondaries and the car went from 11.17 to 11.82. I then fender raced and lost because I waited too long before putting a fender on him. That was the last time I tried to lose that much ET
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/04/13 05:06 PM

My If you take out a bunch of throttle it will make it very hard to fender race because you got nothing at the top end. It's much better to find the brake pedal later to tighten it up at the stripe.
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/04/13 05:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They are still at the car shows impressing people with their hoods up. They will be here soon.

It's a bracket/index racing question most Hemi guys don't read them, it's below their status.
Posted By: RATPATROL

Re: Slow me down!?!? - 05/04/13 05:24 PM

I tried everything, but weight works the best (that 100 lbs per tenth) is pretty close for me but since you need a tenth or more how about start by putting a stock type air cleaner on then use some of these other suggestions and weight to achieve your goal.
© 2024 Moparts Forums