Moparts

BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv?

Posted By: PorkyPig

BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/17/13 06:14 PM

One of the engine builders I've used is a big fan of adding the three ProGram cross-bolted center caps to beef up production 440 blocks. I know those caps are a better material than the factory caps were, but I was thinking that putting a bolt-on girdle like Hughes and other shops sell would get you basically the same thing in terms of improving main cap stability with a lot less hassle and about half the cost. Does this sound right to anyone else?
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/17/13 06:26 PM

That's what I done. drilling the side of a stock cast block worry me !
Posted By: Jerry

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/17/13 07:21 PM

the girdles actually reinforce the block as well as put steel just below the cap where you need it most. drilling holes in the side of the block removes material and now your stressing the sides of the block as well if your main caps don't fit exactly. and by that i mean that the shop should take and end mill and flatten the internal mounting spot where the main cap will touch the side of the block. there should only be a few .001 of an inch clearance there, otherwize when you torque the crossbolts down it will want to pull in the sides of the block. granted it doesn't seem like much but when all the stresses are added up, i don't want any extra added that didn't need to be there.

our girdle caps are also wider that the stock replacement ones and aid in stopping windage in the block. plsu with our kit you don't need long main studs and spacers to make it all work together.
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/17/13 07:38 PM

I have a CNC block machine that can machine the 440 blocks to within .0002" clearance for where the caps meet the block for the side bolts. In spite of that I simply refuse to weaken a 440 block and creating stress risers by drilling holes in the side of it that were never meant to be there in the first place.
The BCR girdle setup that Jerry sells is far superior to the side bolt cap system your thinking of doing. I hope you change your mind.
Posted By: ChevyTS

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/17/13 07:49 PM

Have you ever done the cross bolt conversion?

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/17/13 08:14 PM

yes i have. and i would still recommend the girdle over the cross bolts on a block that wasn't designed to have them.

we machine main caps for cross bolt engine configurations if thats what the customer wants or thats what the application is designed to use (hemi). but the girdle is still stronger and still reinforces the block. we have even added girdles on top of blocks that have been cross bolted. i will see if i can find some pics of the last hemi main caps we did. a customer sent them in and you can see that cap walk on the bottom of those as well. we remade the cross bolted mains for him and then he wanted a girdle to further stiffen it up. the girdle adds steel right below where the crank sits in the block not off to the side of it.

also with the way our caps are designed there is no gap between the girdle and the center of main caps. even our stock replacement style caps will contact the bottom of the girdle so if you decide to use the girdle later you can and you'll get most of the benefits of the kit.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/17/13 08:47 PM

How much power has been put to a girdled block?
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/17/13 08:48 PM

Quote:

In a word, No. I have seen the leftover pieces of 440 blocks that were cross bolted though.

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/17/13 09:46 PM

Quote:

yes i have. and i would still recommend the girdle over the cross bolts on a block that wasn't designed to have them.

Thats great! I am working on installing the cross bolted caps on three blocks that I have and I need some input. If you don't mind helping. I need to know how much prelaod there should be on the cross bolts(space between cap and block). And theory behind it . Thanks

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/17/13 09:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

In a word, No. I have seen the leftover pieces of 440 blocks that were cross bolted though.

I used a girdle on the last 440 block that I built. I just want to try something different.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/17/13 09:59 PM

Quote:

That's what I done. drilling the side of a stock cast block worry me !

Don't do it Buy a better block with four bolt mains designed into it from the start

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/17/13 10:57 PM

I will say this. Don't cross bolt unless you have a vertical mill. I have lost track of the hours that I have spent so far.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/18/13 12:03 AM

Wholly shoemaker. Adding extra bolts on a stock Mopar small block or big block is like putting a band-aid on a person that had their leg cut off.

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/18/13 12:54 AM

you need alot more tooling than a vertical mill to install cross bolts in a block. the girdles are basically a bolt on with minor machining that any competent shop can do. or you can do at home if you have a vertical mill. won't require you to tilt the head even.
Posted By: BradH

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/18/13 07:09 AM

FWIW, my 452's block has the Pro-Gram cross-bolted #2-4 caps. The shop that did the install recommended them because of indications of cap walk during a previous rebuild "way back when". Guess what? Even the Pro-Gram caps show signs of cap walk after being run at 600 HP, too.

Also, my installation has them going in as a press-fit, rather than having any side clearance where the block gets drawn in when tightened down. And those caps are a total PITA to remove as a result because they didn't have an provision for attaching a slide hammer to draw them back up.

My backup 451 block was machined w/ the old plate-style aluminum main caps back before I knew about the improved BCR and Best Machine versions. Since I know the plate-style design isn't ideal, I'm going to run a CRE girdle kit w/ 'em to help keep things strapped down.

And if/when time comes that I need to put my last core 440 block into service, I'll either pop for some BCR caps or just run a girdle w/ the OEM caps, depending on how I see things turning out w/ the 451.

I guess what I'm saying is I vote "No" on the Pro-Gram cross-bolted conversion deal and would try a girdle w/ the OEM caps, instead.

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/18/13 01:47 PM

don't waste time with oem caps. the main benefirt of caps designed to work with a girdle is that they contact at their center just below the crank. when all is said and done, your stack up should be crank, bearing, main cap, girdle, not crank, bearing, main cap, air gap, girdle. i will post some pics today of what i'm talking about. also our girdles are 1/2" thick plate steel. alot of the other on the market are thinner and not as strong.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/18/13 02:53 PM

I went with stock caps and a 440source girdle for my 500" low deck.
Posted By: 80fbody

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/18/13 03:09 PM

Quote:

don't waste time with oem caps. the main benefirt of caps designed to work with a girdle is that they contact at their center just below the crank. when all is said and done, your stack up should be crank, bearing, main cap, girdle, not crank, bearing, main cap, air gap, girdle. i will post some pics today of what i'm talking about. also our girdles are 1/2" thick plate steel. alot of the other on the market are thinner and not as strong.

Certainly a nice kit but it's well over $1000 for one of your kits installed. Seems like a waste to put all the money into a stock block that could still crack.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/18/13 03:17 PM

The best possible setup is the girdle with aluminum caps, and having the caps milled to not require any shims or spacers for proper assembly. Spacers make it a Pain to assemble.
If you don't have a crankshaft yet, a center weighted crank puts the loads more where they belong, across all the bearing caps, not most of it on 2 and 4. My Mega Block had cap walk issues till I bought a center weighted crank.

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/18/13 03:52 PM

Quote:

Certainly a nice kit but it's well over $1000 for one of your kits installed. Seems like a waste to put all the money into a stock block that could still crack.

i price our kits where i need to so they are profitable for me to make them. it costs money to produce the best kit on the market, not to mention having to keep inventory and market them against all of the chinese made parts that are a few dollars cheaper. it really all comes down to understanding the racing is a cost plus business. the faster you want to go the more power you want to make the more you have to spend. its pretty simple. i'm trying to provide the best stop gap measure for people before they have to upgrade to an aftermarket block. not everyone has $4000 dollars sitting around to put into a block thats going to make 600-800hp. thats where these girdles come in and they are cost effective when compared to the alternative. running aftermarket caps is expensive, since you have to have them line bored its just a fact. adding a girdle on there only adds a few more bucks into the build that will help increase the longevity of your assembly. unfortunately at these power levels the blocks do become the week link but thats not to say people aren't running successfully without an aftermarket block.

also i do sell part individually for people who want to upgrade in stages. the girdle caps are only 399.00 and you can have your block line bored and decked so your ready to install the girdle at a later date if you find out you have some cap walk at the end of a racing season. we try very hard to accomodate everyones needs and pass along good information so peoples racing seasons don't end early.

and in case you missed it we posted a sale on here at the beginning of the month for the girdle kits.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/18/13 04:22 PM

Quote:

The best possible setup is the girdle with aluminum caps, and having the caps milled to not require any shims or spacers for proper assembly. Spacers make it a Pain to assemble.
If you don't have a crankshaft yet, a center weighted crank puts the loads more where they belong, across all the bearing caps, not most of it on 2 and 4. My Mega Block had cap walk issues till I bought a center weighted crank.

After going on the BCR web site and taking a good look at the girdle design, it does everything I would expect out of a properly designed girdle kit. It has aluminum caps that need machining for proper realtionship to the girdle(easy assembly, no spacers) plus the caps are additionally supported outside of the maincap bolts with studs going through the girdle. Top shelf product IMHO. The kit I had does not have those two features(machined caps and extra studs)
Posted By: dogdays

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/18/13 04:35 PM

Well said, Jerry! All the points you made are valid.
My hat is off to anyone trying to make a living selling USA-made parts to the Mopar crowd.

R.

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/18/13 07:06 PM

here is some education for those considering any of these reinforcement options... the cap in the pic below is made from 7075 aluminum and is a cross bolted main cap for a hemi. as you can see the crack that formed is all the same location where most of the big block cap failures occur. the crack starts are a radial line shooting outward from the crank bearing journal and ending at the high stressed area where the main stud nut would be located. cast caps fail this way as do stock replacement style caps when the power levels go up. (i can't pin point an HP level because not everyone puts their cars on a dyno or runs at the track.) this cap below also shows tons of evidence of cap walk on the block mating surface.

Attached picture 7672954-IMG_0695.JPG

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/18/13 07:15 PM

here is a pic of our girdle caps getting fitted into a 440 block, obviously the block still needs to be cleaned up and this was just mocked up for the picture. in the #3 main you can see the cast block reinforcement buttress. this cast rib is what allows the stress from the main bearing saddle to be distributed to the skirt of the block. our girdle cap mimics this angle and fits along side it without needing any additional machining or grinding. this serves 2 purposes, first it distributes the load seen by the cap into the girdle and across the entire base of the girdle. and two it creates a pocket where the crank rotates and helps to minimize windage losses.

these buttresses are what needs to be machined away in order to install cross bolted main caps on a 440. someone recently asked my how i would install the cross bolted caps and the answer is i wouldn't but if you fitting them there are two critical areas that need to be fit properly. first is the side to side clearance on the block. this needs to be kept to minimum and an interference fit would be better so the block skirt isn't being pulled in adding stress. the second area is that on the buttress you need to machine a flat, so the area relieved looks like an L in the corner of the L you want there to be a radius. as seen in the pick above there is a radius at the bottom area of where the crossbolt would screw in. ideally the cross bolt cap should touch both parts of the legs of the l shape this will help transfer the load away from the crank centerline. (sorry this is really hard to explain and fairly difficult to machine as well).

i am getting ready to do an install video for bcr caps to post up on youtube and i'll throw in some theory and chalk board time for those really interested. if your not you can fast forward through it.

Attached picture 7672971-IMG_0691.JPG

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/18/13 07:18 PM

last post i promise. below is the pic of the clearance area between a stock cap and behind it you can see our girdle cap. our girdle caps make contact over the entire length of the girdle not just at two points where the studs are located. also we incorporate the #5 and the #1 cap into the girdle as well.

some guys are even running windage trays and crank scrapers with our girdle and i'll cover that in the install video.

Attached picture 7672978-IMG_0690.JPG
Posted By: fed

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/18/13 10:43 PM

Beautiful product, made with some Swedish help i think.
Posted By: bcrproducts

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/19/13 12:22 AM

Yes and how is our Swedish friend have not heard from him in a long time. Those design phase days were fun times and and without the Swedish engineering it likely would still be a drawing. When all was said and done we made no improvements to what you see Jerry doing today. Hats off to all that were involved from Dan Vern Jim etc and of course Jerry for keeping this thing alive.

Greg

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/25/13 12:45 AM

Just wanted to announce the new pricing for the girdle kits

girdle kits $625.00

girdle caps $350.00

i put all the details in the hot deals section and we are still honoring the moparts 10% off until the end of the sale.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/25/13 12:53 AM

Quote:

Just wanted to announce the new pricing for the girdle kits

girdle kits $625.00

girdle caps $350.00

i put all the details in the hot deals section and we are still honoring the moparts 10% off until the end of the sale.

So, I'm guessing the girdle kit includes the caps?

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/25/13 01:43 AM

yes the girdle kits include the main caps, arp studs, and oil pan rail studs and nuts as well as the main cap to girdle studs and nuts

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/25/13 01:48 AM

Thats too cheap!!
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/25/13 05:44 AM

Quote:

yes the girdle kits include the main caps, arp studs, and oil pan rail studs and nuts as well as the main cap to girdle studs and nuts

I think that is less than what I paid several years ago. Good deal!
Posted By: bcrproducts

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/26/13 04:22 PM

Yes that is cheaper than when I was building them Jerry has done a great job taking this product to the next level. He has ramped up production and is getting this product out more than $100 cheaper than i did ten years ago!!
Way to go Jerry the Mopar crowd is very pleased!!

Greg

Re: BB girdle with stock caps good as cross-bolted conv? - 04/26/13 06:20 PM

hopefully by this time next week the ebay store will be up and running as well to streamline ordering for everyone. so anyone who doesn't have a tech question can just point click and buy.
© 2024 Moparts Forums