Moparts

Race car trailer tires

Posted By: Bigbeep

Race car trailer tires - 03/31/13 02:39 AM

well its time for new rubber on the car trailer and I am looking for real world experience. Who has used carlisle trailer tires? I can get a 10 ply for 125 each, 12 ply for 160 each, or a chinese brand called Gladiator that has a 14 ply for 160 each. Anyone used these or have suggestions. I am hauling roughly 11-11.5k pounds. Thanks, Beep
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Race car trailer tires - 03/31/13 02:42 AM

The Chineese 14 ply tires are hit and miss. The ones that came on my trailer were decent. Had a warranty issue that cut a tire and could not match. So they gave me 4 new chineese 14 ply tires. They were junk.

Leon
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Race car trailer tires - 03/31/13 02:43 AM

I run Goodyear marathon tires. Have had good luck with them. Never tried those brands.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Race car trailer tires - 03/31/13 02:47 AM

I just looked at my trailer. I've replaced one with a Carlisle 225/75-15 load D. The other 5 are Goodyear. All are dry cracked, One is coming apart. Good tread on all. I've got car tires far older that are not cracked at all? In our area the Carlisle's are $100. new ones Tuesday.
Doug
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Race car trailer tires - 03/31/13 02:49 AM

Quote:

well its time for new rubber on the car trailer and I am looking for real world experience. Who has used carlisle trailer tires? I can get a 10 ply for 125 each, 12 ply for 160 each, or a chinese brand called Gladiator that has a 14 ply for 160 each. Anyone used these or have suggestions. I am hauling roughly 11-11.5k pounds. Thanks, Beep

DONT waste your money on the Carlisle tires... total
JUNK.. I dont know the other brand... I run a Goodyear
Maration trailer tire.. pricey but good .. I have
more weight and never blew a tire... keep them at max
pressure and check the pressure every time you
go out
Posted By: BryanRad

Re: Race car trailer tires - 03/31/13 03:11 AM

Save yourself the headache and buy Goodyears.
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: Race car trailer tires - 03/31/13 03:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

DONT waste your money on the Carlisle tires... total
JUNK.. I dont know the other brand... I run a Goodyear
Maration trailer tire.. pricey but good .. I have
more weight and never blew a tire... keep them at max
pressure and check the pressure every time you
go out

I think the key is running your tires at MAX PSI

I think a lot of the tire probs guys have are from under inflation. When they are low on air and trailer is loaded they will get HOT and blow.

I have Triangle brand tires on my trailer and they are going on 9 yrs old never a problem. But they are always at 60psi before I hit the road.
Posted By: moparman1954

Re: Race car trailer tires - 03/31/13 03:19 AM

Yellowbullet has a new trailer forum. Check there they have a lot of posts on trailer tires.
Posted By: -Cuda

Re: Race car trailer tires - 03/31/13 03:24 AM

Just bought some gladiators. Look nice but can't comment on longevity yet. www.treaddepot.com has free shipping through March.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Race car trailer tires - 03/31/13 03:31 AM

Here is some very good info from an RV site. I did some research last year after a couple of blow-outs. 16 inch are way better than 15 inch. Get the highest ply that you can afford. If the tires call for 70 pounds run them 8-10 pounds higher. As said above HEAT is the biggest killer. Don't even listen to what the open trailer guys recommend. The weight on the inclosed trailer is WAY heavier than them and then we add quads, generators, tools, cupboards, and any other thing we can think of. I ran my old open trailers on junky mobile home 14.5 tires for years and never had a problem. I have 15 inch on my trailer so I went with the best Carlyle they had and in 4 years I will buy new tires and put these on Craigslist. http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseac...%7B%7D/sr/1.cfm
Posted By: a493demon

Re: Race car trailer tires - 03/31/13 04:25 AM

this place has some good prices not sure on what brands they have .
http://www.easternmarine.com/Sale-Specials-Close-Outs/

Re: Race car trailer tires - 03/31/13 03:24 PM

I've actually had better luck with Carlisle than Goodyear. I have failed better than 50% of the Goodyear's I've run. The last two failures were Goodyear. Tires are always at max psi.
Doug
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Race car trailer tires - 03/31/13 03:50 PM

Quote:

I've actually had better luck with Carlisle than Goodyear. I have failed better than 50% of the Goodyear's I've run. The last two failures were Goodyear. Tires are always at max psi.
Doug

Few questions for you Doug.. what size rim, which
goodyear tire and was it a inclosed trailer what
were the ratings on each... the first inclosed trailer
I bought had the carlisle tires(15" rims)... they
(2 of them) didnt even last 1 season the new trailer
is a 16" rim HD axles and I went with the goodyear
marathon trailer tires and have never had an issues...
that trailer is MUCH heavier and I only have 2 axles
under it(I should have maybe put 3 under it) but I didnt...
I know I will never buy another carlisle ... JMO
Posted By: Hemi Joe

Re: Race car trailer tires - 03/31/13 06:46 PM

Once again I will say it !!!! What we need is an American Made Trailer Tire Manufacturer !!!! In my opinion, those Chinese Made Tires Are JUNK !!!!! Had to replace 4 tires last year on my tri-axle enclosed 48' trailer. I keep a constant check on my tires and always check the tire pressure. We also need an American made steel rim - I believe that I have 3 bent rims on my trailer now, caused by the trailer sliding as you make a sharp turn..If made properly, their is nothing made as good as made in the USA - with American made materials!!!! CALL OR E_MAIL COMPANIES LIKE COOPER TIRE - and ask them to start making trailer tires again !!! I can't believe that the Dept. Of Highway Safety Allows those Junk Chinese Tires to be used in this country !!! HEMI JOE
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Race car trailer tires - 03/31/13 06:48 PM

I have Carliles on my enclosed, they have been great for me. I picked up five so i had a good spare, havent needed it in four years. Good years are over priced junk
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Race car trailer tires - 03/31/13 07:28 PM

Quote:

Actually had a blow out on my trailer on the way back from the MATS last weekend. They were top of the line tires with a load rating that well exceeded the load and they were less than 1 year old and probably under 3000 miles on them. We did run in to a stretch of pretty rough road on the way out and back. My suggestion: Buy a quality US brand. Make sure the load range exceeds your load and axle GVWR, but don't go overboard on it. Don't look at ply rating. It's just too confusing ( radials / bias ply, tread / sidewall, etc.) Stick with load range. I am meticulous about my trailer maintenance, and still had a blowout - and found one outer wheel bearing going south after I got home. I'm pretty sure my tire failure was due to a ply separation ( pot hole ). Other 3 tires were fine. The roads ( inter State ) suck. Inspect your trailer often and for sure before and after a long haul. Have a fresh ( new ) spare tire ready to go. Run max pressure for your load range tires. Make sure your trailer springs are not beat out. Minimal axle travel will dump big loads on the tires over rough roads and can cause internal sidewall damage and eventual ply separation - and failure. Finally, check wheel bearings at least once a year. Lots of play or a growl sound when you spin the tires is a sure indication a bearing is on the way out. My outer bearing failure appeared to be caused by high impact load.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Race car trailer tires - 03/31/13 09:10 PM

Another item absolutely essential to trailer readiness is to check lug nuts before every trip. Last spring we were going to a race and were on a divided 4 lane. All of a sudden the driver said "we just lost a wheel", I asked "a blowout"? He said no the whole wheel just crossed into the median. Pulled over and all 5 of the studs were sheered off. When we finally found the wheel it was obvious that the wheel had been rocking back and forth on the studs. The wheel holes were wallowed out extensively. I'm sure this came from not checking my lug nuts often enough.

Luckily we found a safe place to leave the trailer until I could get another hub. By sheer luck my nephew had a broke axle with the parts we needed. Was a bunch of miles but we were able to get the trailer home that night. I definitely ck them every time now!!!
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/01/13 03:28 AM

I went to a Goodyear store about 3 years ago for tires and they sold me a set of Towmax E rated tires. Run them at 80lbs for 3 years now on my 28ft trailer and so far no problems

Russ
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/01/13 03:55 AM

I went through this last year..

Finally bought Hercules Tires.. 235/85/16 F...

So far so good.. Been to Vegas 3 times since and all looked good after the MATS..

Time will tell.. We do keep them on wood with covers too.. Kind of important..

48' 5th wheel trailer 3 axle..

Chris..
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/01/13 05:18 AM

I have been looking at 16" wheel packages to replace my 15" rims/tires. It's hard finding 15" tires with the higher load ratings. Right now I have the Goodyear marathons, but broke a cord in one, slashed the sidewall on another, and now have a slow leak in another. The slashed one and slow leak is fome too much junk on the roads, but the broken cord? maybe I hit a pothole or other road construction?
Posted By: skrews

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/01/13 07:42 AM

I was in the tire biz for a while and can say for certain that all trailer tires have way too many failure issues. Started putting high quality high load range truck tires on my trailers and my friends and family's trailers. End of problems. 16" trailer tires did seem to do better than the 15" and 14" stuff. As said before running max pressure will keep the tires happy.

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/01/13 02:28 PM

Make sure your trailer sits level to the ground with a minimum of 10% of the load on the tongue. Load level / anti sway bars is also a good addition to your tow package. If you do have a blow out, everything stays nice and straight.

Attached picture 7649690-300trailer.jpg
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/01/13 02:31 PM

Quote:

I was in the tire biz for a while and can say for certain that all trailer tires have way too many failure issues. Started putting high quality high load range truck tires on my trailers and my friends and family's trailers. End of problems. 16" trailer tires did seem to do better than the 15" and 14" stuff. As said before running max pressure will keep the tires happy.

Got a brand name for these tires? How much does the 16 inch change height over 15 inch?
Posted By: SG5438

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/01/13 03:23 PM

My 28 ft Vintage had 225x15 Goodyear Marathon's.
For the 4 years they were on it I only had 1
that bulged. I always kept them covered, at
70 psi and rotated them every spring.

I now have BFG Commercial A/S TA's in 225x16.
They only added 1/2in in height. I found a set
of 5 16in 5th wheel Alum wheels on craigslist
for $100. Best thing I did for the trailer, It
tows so much better. No wishy washy sway on the
ruts and bumps of the hi-way, course the hitch
must set up correctly.

I had 40ft 3 axle with 225x15 marathons before
and as long as I kept the pressure at 70, covered
and rotated, I never had had a blowout in 8
years. I did have 3 bulges tho.

Sorry this is long but I firmly believe that
checking the lugs & psi before every tow,
covering when not in use and rotating every
year is a must do.

Rick
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/01/13 06:50 PM

I use Mastertrack trailer tires made by Cooper in the USA! Here is where I get them from:

http://www.trailerrvparts.com/

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/01/13 09:12 PM

Quote:

I use Mastertrack trailer tires made by Cooper in the USA! Here is where I get them from:

Tires hell, how's your tie-down straps!!!

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/01/13 09:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds like a story in the making.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/02/13 10:38 AM

Hercules are also made by Cooper. That's what I'm going with.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/02/13 12:27 PM

Quote:

Hercules are also made by Cooper. That's what I'm going with.

Those are china tires and I have had terrible luck with them on big trucks. No way I would ever buy anymore of them.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/02/13 04:59 PM

What ever happened to the Maxiss tire recommendation? for trailers

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/02/13 06:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Gotta let Rhinodart tell it if he wants to. I will say that my wife ended up with a brand new grill for her 79 300 when it was all said and done.

Attached picture 7651761-mares3002.jpg

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/03/13 02:30 AM

I think we need a sticky, that lists the Country of Origin. It would be nice to know. Links only, nothing else.

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/03/13 02:43 AM

http://www.maxxis.com/About-Maxxis.aspx

Here's an oft recommended tire. Sounds like an Aisian tire to me. Make it #1 on my sticky request.

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/03/13 02:45 AM

Chris, what is the sidewall mfg code on them? Do they say made in USA? Thanks!
Posted By: Greg

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/03/13 03:02 AM

Has anyone had any luck with Towmaster Tires? I had to pick up a tire in KY last year due to a flat and that is what the tire company sold. The company is Greenball corporation and can be found at www.greenball.com. The size was ST225/75/15 10 ply tire. I need to buy some new tires this spring and was wondering if I should give them a chance or go with the Goodyear marathons?
Posted By: skrews

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/03/13 03:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Got a brand name for these tires? How much does the 16 inch change height over 15 inch?

BFGoodrich or Michelin. I was replacing ST225/75/15 with LT235/75R/15C that had a max inflation pressure of 50 p.s.i. When swapping out 15 inch tires such as a ST225/75/15, I'd use LT225/75R/16E. These will be 1 inch taller.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...um=275R6COMMTAE

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/03/13 03:54 AM

Quote:

Has anyone had any luck with Towmaster Tires? I had to pick up a tire in KY last year due to a flat and that is what the tire company sold. The company is Greenball corporation and can be found at www.greenball.com. The size was ST225/75/15 10 ply tire. I need to buy some new tires this spring and was wondering if I should give them a chance or go with the Goodyear marathons?

My Towmasters lasted about 3 years before boom, boom boom. 3 blowouts in 2 weeks. Less than 5000 miles on them.
Over 90% of my towing is local as its about 40 miles to PRP. Throw in a trip or 2 out to Norwalk, Ohio late in the year (200 miles each way).
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/03/13 04:03 AM

Quote:

Chris, what is the sidewall mfg code on them? Do they say made in USA? Thanks!

I'll have to check and get back to you..

Trailer is at my yard..

I bought them here.. Mesa Store..

http://www.robertstire.com/locations.htm

Chris..
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/03/13 05:25 AM

I just bought the cheapest 10 plys I could find through work. made in china, I'm sure they'll fail, but so has everything else I've put on it. I should try the 16" wheel route. Living in the desert if you get three years from a trailer tire you're lucky!

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/03/13 11:22 AM

Well I bought my Carlisle's . We'll see how they work. Clearly states "Made in China"on the sidewall. Discount tire offers a $13/tire road hazard warrantee which I purchased. I'll keep everyone updated. The trailer is a 32 foot enclosed tri-axle. Tires are 225 75/15 load D. I did notice the Goodyear's only seemed to be cracked on the outer corners of the tread,sun?
Doug
Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/04/13 05:13 AM

Wow, there is a lot to digest here. I went to YB found the same type responses there. Sounds like most are a crap shoot. Beep
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/04/13 05:27 PM

Yep, I agree. I need 5 new tires for my trailer. Also been reading the post on the Bullet. I am so confused.....

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/04/13 05:46 PM

I did lots and I mien lots of reading on this after towing an enclosed trailer for years with zero issues. I never even bothered taking a spare tire. I may have gotten sloppy as I know I didn't check tire pressure as often as I should have. I parked the trailer at my parents house for years on a concrete pad and in the shade and it offered lots of protection that it doesn't get at home. Quality as we knew it also changed during this time. Over the years I also added more weight to my trailer in the form of a bigger quad, more tools, more supplies. The big thing the full time RV'ers said to do is as I said above. Add more pressure, 8-10 pounds more. Craigslist home improvement guys are always looking for used tires for their smaller, lighter trailer so I know I will be changing mine out more often. I also carry a spare now and I bought one of the drive-on tire lifts and it works great.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/eqt-01/overview/
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/04/13 08:06 PM

Quote:

I did lots and I mien lots of reading on this after towing an enclosed trailer for years with zero issues. I never even bothered taking a spare tire. I may have gotten sloppy as I know I didn't check tire pressure as often as I should have. I parked the trailer at my parents house for years on a concrete pad and in the shade and it offered lots of protection that it doesn't get at home. Quality as we knew it also changed during this time. Over the years I also added more weight to my trailer in the form of a bigger quad, more tools, more supplies. The big thing the full time RV'ers said to do is as I said above. Add more pressure, 8-10 pounds more. Craigslist home improvement guys are always looking for used tires for their smaller, lighter trailer so I know I will be changing mine out more often. I also carry a spare now and I bought one of the drive-on tire lifts and it works great.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/eqt-01/overview/

I think weight is a issue more times than not. A enclosed trailer with 15 wheels on it can't handle much more weight than a car and some tools or a quad.

I have seen many custom add on's in trailers that are way too heavy for trailers like wood kitchen cabinets.

Like said above over inflate your tires by 10 pounds over what the sidewall says, it'll help a ton.

FWIW worth I have towed 4 different trailers over 350K miles in the last 20 years on Goodyears. Yup have never had flat by running them over inflated. All my enclosed trailers had 16" wheels and tires on them. I would never buy a enclosed with 15" wheels.
I can tell by looking at them if there low and checked them often, definitely before each trip and each morning while on the road. They loose about 1 pound per week on my trailers and I add air throughout the year.

I have bought like 3 sets of 6 for my 49' trailer and pulled that one close to 130K miles. Then a couple sets for my smaller enclosed trailers over the years.

Now I heard goodyears are made in china which sucks!

These 15" goodyears on my open trailer have 60+K miles on them now, I bought them new in 2009. I just got back from California this trip, 5400 miles in 10 days in 100-115 degree heat last July 2012. I run the speed limit out there 70-80 mph.
Always start clean and polished.

10 days later and 5400 miles in extreme temps covered in brake dust, thanks Goodyear for holding up.

Bonneville salt.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/05/13 01:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

They work great when you use them...

Re: Race car trailer tires - 04/05/13 04:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They work great when you use them...

© 2024 Moparts Forums