Moparts

oil pickup-sb

Posted By: poboyengineering

oil pickup-sb - 03/21/13 10:01 AM

ive seen some oil pumps where the stock hole is plugged and a tube is fabbed into the cover. is there a problem with this? it seems that opening up the passages in the block is pointless unless the pickup tube is also enlarged, and the lack of material on the pump housing is the limiting factor. any experience, good or bad?
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: oil pickup-sb - 03/21/13 03:33 PM

I have one of the old pumps with the threaded hole in the pump cover for a straight pipe to a pickup. I have never found a pickup that would work. 2 0r 3 years ago a member here was building such a pickup but I never saw the finished product. Don't know if they were ever ready to sell or not. I would love to have one!!!!
Posted By: mikesiron

Re: oil pickup-sb - 03/21/13 04:27 PM

Suction side of pump should allways be generious. But unless you have a rear sump pan you will not be able to pipe into the bottom of the pump. You can buy the pump cover from any pan manufacture that sell rear sump pans. Common in Circle track racing pans, The stock pump can be enlarged to 1/2 pipe (3/8 pipe is stock).

Attached picture 7634631-008.JPG
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: oil pickup-sb - 03/21/13 08:14 PM

My Kevko rear sump pan came with a pump cover pickup assy.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: oil pickup-sb - 03/21/13 10:32 PM

Quote:

ive seen some oil pumps where the stock hole is plugged and a tube is fabbed into the cover. is there a problem with this? it seems that opening up the passages in the block is pointless unless the pickup tube is also enlarged, and the lack of material on the pump housing is the limiting factor. any experience, good or bad?

You can buy the pickup from Canton that bolts to the pump as the cover. It's 5/8 and that's what you need. You can modify it from there to fit you pan.
Posted By: Racebuddy

Re: oil pickup-sb - 03/23/13 02:54 AM

I have run two pick ups on a small block also. Some folks on here thought that was a terrible idea
Posted By: mikesiron

Re: oil pickup-sb - 03/23/13 05:18 AM

I will say duel pick-up or 1/2 single helped lower my oil temp 15-25deg in my round track engines. also used crank scraper,and windage tray,
© 2024 Moparts Forums