Moparts

New Toy

Posted By: Tig

New Toy - 03/20/13 06:20 PM

Gonna have to learn about small blocks all over again!
Posted By: one bad fish

Re: New Toy - 03/20/13 06:22 PM

i like
Posted By: gtsdude

Re: New Toy - 03/20/13 06:23 PM

Like the color on that!

Attached picture 7633383-DSC01625%20(Small).JPG
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: New Toy - 03/20/13 06:23 PM

Sweet, needs a Hemi, big tubs & Hemi scoop.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: New Toy - 03/20/13 06:44 PM

Nice score..............
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: New Toy - 03/20/13 06:47 PM

Your picture is reverse image ...

Put a big block in it ...

Re: New Toy - 03/20/13 06:56 PM

Quote:

Sorry, forgot to mention this is one of 650(ish) Cars made for UK in RHD

Big block........
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: New Toy - 03/20/13 07:09 PM

that hing will be nice once you fix the steering wheel issue.
Posted By: 383man

Re: New Toy - 03/20/13 07:43 PM

Wow thats in nice shape. Tell us more about it please ? Ron
Posted By: topside

Re: New Toy - 03/20/13 07:54 PM

Given that US cars had their motors shifted to the right, is yours shifted to the left, or is the column shaft a really tight fit in the engine compartment?

Re: New Toy - 03/20/13 08:27 PM

I'm guessing that the motor is in the same position in the engine bay. The mounts look the same.
I'm unfamiliar with A bodys but it looks like the steering box is switched round. The steering arm points towards the back of the car on the Challenger but to the front on the Barracuda.
Also the Oil filter is re-located to the water pump with hard lines running up and next to the valve covers. Pics would explain this better, I'll take some when its light.
Headers normally have to be custom made but I'm looking into Australian Pacemaker headers since our Antipodean friends have RHD Chrysler Charger and Valiants, these may work on the Barracuda.

Re: New Toy - 03/20/13 08:33 PM

Quote:

Like the color on that!

What colour is this BTW?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: New Toy - 03/20/13 09:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, forgot to mention this is one of 650(ish) Cars made for UK in RHD

Big block........

That I figured

That is a low production number, looks nice.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: New Toy - 03/20/13 09:30 PM

wow very nice, I just don't know how you guys drive on the right side though can you imagine NASCAR making all right turns
Posted By: topside

Re: New Toy - 03/20/13 10:42 PM

Color code should be UU1 on the fender tag if that's original paint.
Posted By: deaks

Re: New Toy - 03/20/13 11:01 PM

looks a nice car Tig. Are you ging to mod it, or leave as is ?
Mick
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: New Toy - 03/21/13 01:15 AM

Quote:

Wow thats in nice shape. Tell us more about it please ? Ron

X2, very clean, don't see them like that in upstate NY. Nice score!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: New Toy - 03/21/13 01:41 AM

Very nice looking ride.. I use to have a Jeep at work
that was right hand drive(was a test vehicle) that I
use to drive up north once in a while.... the wife was
driving and I was laid back in the left seat sleeping..
should have seen all the people looking at us.. was funny
Posted By: Leigh

Re: New Toy - 03/21/13 02:06 AM

Certainly looks to be in great condition.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: New Toy - 03/21/13 02:15 AM

Quote:

Color code should be UU1 on the fender tag if that's original paint.

Looks like its been painted based on the rear bumper..
its been bent in and I'm sure it got into the body
(and sprung back)
Posted By: topfueldart

Re: New Toy - 03/21/13 04:22 AM

That's a really cool score Tig, I had no idea they made RHD Barracudas. Pics would be great!
Posted By: 383man

Re: New Toy - 03/21/13 07:53 AM

Quote:

Given that US cars had their motors shifted to the right, is yours shifted to the left, or is the column shaft a really tight fit in the engine compartment?

Interseting as I never really thought about that with RHD. Ron

Re: New Toy - 03/21/13 11:49 AM

It's been painted. Front Wings (fenders) are very good condition, bonnet (hood) and boot (trunk) have minimal rust.The majority of the trim is good. It's quite solid. Only real problem area is the rear quarters. They have some filler (bondo) in. A new pair of these and it will be a really good car.

Hi Mick. Not planning to do much at all on this. Just a mild small block daily driver with occasional strip use. Though we are wondering about those SB rpm heads for sale on the MMA board, where will that lead us though?
Getting new bumpers and some small bolt pattern Cragars for it and a Formula S stripe in Dark Blue. Probably just run it around as is 'till we want to do the body work.

Re: New Toy - 03/21/13 12:24 PM

A few more.
Posted By: mafo

Re: New Toy - 03/21/13 09:16 PM

Plenty of room for the drysump pump there...
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: New Toy - 03/21/13 11:19 PM

Beautiful car love the color
Things sure look backwards on a RH driver

Re: New Toy - 01/09/14 12:20 AM

Project is still ongoing but a lot of thing's are coming together now.
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: New Toy - 01/10/14 05:33 AM

koool!
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: New Toy - 01/10/14 05:49 AM

That firewall is wacky! You got a close-up of the console? It looks like a 69. I have an Aussie Ute and nothing in the engine bay looks the same.

Attached picture 7992175-ute001.JPG

Re: New Toy - 01/10/14 12:12 PM

A pic of the centre console?. How different is the engine bay? Pacemaker do headers for Aussie Valients and Chargers, just wondering how the fit would be
Posted By: ProSport

Re: New Toy - 01/10/14 12:52 PM

Tig that is nice!
Posted By: big_wedge

Re: New Toy - 01/10/14 12:56 PM

Aussie pacemaker headers??? the fit would be fine and they are an easy header to install and remove

Re: New Toy - 01/10/14 01:13 PM

Good to know, as you can see I've got some block huggers to try. Keeping my options open. I emailed pacemaker a while back, asking if they would fit, got no reply They are also quite expensive to ship to the UK.
Posted By: 446acuda

Re: New Toy - 01/15/14 07:15 PM

Cool! Thanks for posting the underhood pics.
Posted By: Cheatham

Re: New Toy - 01/16/14 03:02 AM

whats the steeringbox and idler arm bolted to ?
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: New Toy - 01/16/14 03:14 AM

Quote:

Looks like the same setup the Aussie cars used, and they bolt to the frame rail. (with some through-the-rail crush tubes)

Some of them would crack the rails on the bottom side where it mounts, so always good to check them out there.

A common mod in Oz is a modified K frame to use a rack and pinion. I put one in my old Charger, was a nice setup. (they use a common Holden Commodore rack)

Re: New Toy - 01/16/14 03:17 AM

Here is VH/VJ Valiant from Oz frame area where the steering box mounts. This was my Charger when I had the K frame out to swap to the rack setup.

Attached picture 7999317-newpics458.jpg

Re: New Toy - 01/16/14 03:20 AM

Quote:

Good to know, as you can see I've got some block huggers to try. Keeping my options open. I emailed pacemaker a while back, asking if they would fit, got no reply They are also quite expensive to ship to the UK.

Maybe try emailing http://www.dodgecity.com.au/ for the extractors ? They deal with most of the Oz companies. (I delt with Paul before and got my rack conversion from him as well years back)

Re: New Toy - 01/16/14 03:25 AM

Quote:

That firewall is wacky! You got a close-up of the console? It looks like a 69. I have an Aussie Ute and nothing in the engine bay looks the same.

It is odd...sort of like a hybrid LH/RH sort of one. Not just a firewall from an Oz Mopar at least.

The Aussie cars never had the firewall bulkhead connector like his does, they just went through a rubber gommet near the heater hoses.

Attached picture 7999327-001(2).JPG
Posted By: Clockwork

Re: New Toy - 01/16/14 04:25 AM

Nice car!

Re: New Toy - 01/16/14 08:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Looks like the same setup the Aussie cars used, and they bolt to the frame rail. (with some through-the-rail crush tubes)

Some of them would crack the rails on the bottom side where it mounts, so always good to check them out there.

Pretty much the same and it has had repairs in that area.
Rack and pinion swap would be nice

Re: New Toy - 01/16/14 09:52 PM

I didn't drag race my car...but the rack was a great upgrade, wish I had done it a long time before.

(The setup has been done in Oz for a while now.) Paul Norris at the link I mentioned above is who did my K frame. You need to modify the steering shaft, but it's nothing all that hard.

Oh, and with a V8 you need to notch the sump a little to clear the rack, or shim the engine mounts a bit. With the Hemi-6 it clears as is..

Attached picture 8000128-rack.jpg

Re: New Toy - 01/16/14 11:25 PM

Thanks for the link, very helpful.
This was supposed to be a quick, cheap and easy daily driver project. Things can escalate, you know how it is

Re: New Toy - 01/16/14 11:40 PM

All too well..

Re: New Toy - 01/16/14 11:46 PM

By the way...another difference from memory, the lower ball joints on the Oz cars are a slightly different length to the USA ones, if you ever go to change them out..not sure on what your's may have on it?

Oh, and if you wanted to go power steering...you can get a power rack too. My buddy in Oz has the same sort of setup for his '68 Charger R/T.

Re: New Toy - 01/17/14 01:05 AM

Quote:

By the way...another difference from memory, the lower ball joints on the Oz cars are a slightly different length to the USA ones, if you ever go to change them out..not sure on what your's may have on it?

Thanks for the tip
Most likely stay with manual set up

Re: New Toy - 01/17/14 01:17 AM

Oh, and another thing...did you get the remote oil filter setup with the car? They used a setup with pipes,etc that mounts the oil filter up next to the distributor basically (vertically) since there is no room with the steering box there to have it mounted to the block like on a LHD car.

You can always go with any type of aftermarket remote setup as well of course.

Re: New Toy - 01/17/14 01:20 AM

Here is a pic...an engine my buddy put together for his Ute not too long ago, uses the factory oil filter setup on it.

Attached picture 8000330-Picture016.jpg

Re: New Toy - 01/17/14 07:51 PM

Very similar oil filter setup but at the front, mounted on the water pump. It's gone the journey as there was crusty old oil and dirt over the chassis rail and the rear of the engine, the seals had gone and I couldn't get them anywhere. Now have an aftermarket remote set up, much better
No pics unfortunately.
Edit: I noticed the oil cover has twin lines on your buddies motor, UK cars had a single outlet with stacked blocks to which the steel lines where attached. It was crap
Found a pic, though not of ours.

Re: New Toy - 01/18/14 06:28 AM

I guess your oil filter location there would be easier to reach...and instead of spilling all over the side of the distributor and back of the engine you get it all over the front of everything.

Re: New Toy - 01/18/14 06:30 AM

Oh, and another little bit of trivia for everyone else...nothing both the UK and Aussie cars, being RHD have the windshield wipers pivot the other direction.
(That way you get the full sweep on the correct side of the glass)

Maybe not trivia but something a lot of people may not notice.
© 2024 Moparts Forums