Moparts

cam timing?

Posted By: quickd100

cam timing? - 03/16/13 08:43 PM

I'm posting this here figuring I might get a better response. I picked up a 318 that was freshly rebuilt by a Napa machine shop. It's just a stock smogger rebuild. It was layed off the side for a few years and neded up full of dirt and metal chips so I've got to disassemble it and clean everything before running it.
Started checking everything over, the compression is at 7.72-1 measured. The cam is a replacement stocker, .370/.400 lift. I checked it and it's a 110 center installed at 113. (that's where the dots lined up) I advanced it one tooth and it's now at 97.5 center. I was thinking of leaving it there to help the dynamic compression. I might throw it on the dyno and try some different stuff I've got laying around before I kill it. Your thoughts? Dave
Posted By: moper

Re: cam timing? - 03/16/13 08:49 PM

The cam's so small I think whatever you might see won't be much regardless of what you do...lol.
Posted By: 72swgnr

Re: cam timing? - 03/16/13 11:22 PM

I think the cam I had in my 360 is still in the garage somewhere. If its good you can use it. Probably just need a set of lifters. The springs should be on the heads still I think too. (where ever they ended up)
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: cam timing? - 03/17/13 05:44 AM

Quote:

I'm posting this here figuring I might get a better response. I picked up a 318 that was freshly rebuilt by a Napa machine shop. It's just a stock smogger rebuild. It was layed off the side for a few years and neded up full of dirt and metal chips so I've got to disassemble it and clean everything before running it.
Started checking everything over, the compression is at 7.72-1 measured. The cam is a replacement stocker, .370/.400 lift. I checked it and it's a 110 center installed at 113. (that's where the dots lined up) I advanced it one tooth and it's now at 97.5 center. I was thinking of leaving it there to help the dynamic compression. I might throw it on the dyno and try some different stuff I've got laying around before I kill it. Your thoughts? Dave

Buy a three way adjustable timing set and check the LSA, most small blocks respond to cam timing changes Just like all the other Mopar V8 do I'll bet it will like the cam advanced (intake lobes)4 to 6 degrees more than it will like straight up or 2 degrees retarded
Posted By: Abodyjohn88

Re: cam timing? - 03/17/13 06:17 AM

Spray a 150 shot to it.... Or slap some ebay turbos on it!

Re: cam timing? - 03/17/13 03:05 PM

A turbo would be fun to play with, I've got 2 of them laying around but they are WAY to big. What turbo would be a good canidate for a stock smogger 318? Dave

Re: cam timing? - 03/17/13 03:32 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-RACING-SPEC-...051&vxp=mtr
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: cam timing? - 03/17/13 07:37 PM

Quote:

Buy a three way adjustable timing set and check the LSA, most small blocks respond to cam timing changes Just like all the other Mopar V8 do I'll bet it will like the cam advanced (intake lobes)4 to 6 degrees more than it will like straight up or 2 degrees retarded

I agree. Try to install it with the intake lobe center 104-106 ATC (assuming the 110 LSA is correct).

Re: cam timing? - 03/18/13 12:12 AM

I'll dig around in the garage and see if I've got a timing set floating around. And Zeb thanks for the link, I may play mad scientist with a turbo too.

Re: cam timing? - 03/18/13 12:32 AM

I had a 3 way adjustable timing chain/sprockets on my 360 that dropped a valve. Use it if you can find it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums