Moparts

Driveshaft Length Help (and Slip Yoke)UPDATE

Posted By: Scamp408

Driveshaft Length Help (and Slip Yoke)UPDATE - 03/15/13 10:05 PM

Just got my trans back in and while putting my DS back in I only have a 1/2" of room until it bottoms out. This is with the car on jackstands but on axle and control arms. Is This enough play?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/15/13 10:24 PM

Quote:

Just got my trans back in and while putting my DS back in I only have a 1/2" of room until it bottoms out. This is with the car on jackstands but on axle and control arms. Is This enough play?

I've always run 3/4" as the spec.... 1/2" might be on
the close side... would hate to see you bottom out
and bust up stuff

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/15/13 10:29 PM

I ran it like this for years but thought 1/2 was too close.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/15/13 10:36 PM

That's pretty tight, if you let the rear end hang it will probably get even tighter.

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/15/13 10:40 PM

I cant tell what it bottoming out on either. I just freshen up trans and the stator sealling rings were shot .

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/15/13 10:42 PM

Quote:

I ran it like this for years but thought 1/2 was too close.

On SS springs and 1 year on monos.

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/16/13 01:38 AM

So Mr P I should look for 3/4? I will get it on the ground and ck it again and also ck the pinion angle to make sure nuttin moved.

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/16/13 01:46 AM

Quote:

So Mr P I should look for 3/4? I will get it on the ground and ck it again and also ck the pinion angle to make sure nuttin moved.

The Munroe trans book says 3/4"... so thats what I
have been using for years
Posted By: Tig

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/16/13 12:17 PM

You could try shimming out the front spring hangers 1/4 inch. If you have the room for the tyre

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/16/13 01:36 PM

Quote:

You could try shimming out the front spring hangers 1/4 inch. If you have the room for the tyre

This is what I would do... in most cases it centers
the tire better in the wheel well

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/16/13 03:22 PM

Already have the axle 1in back but thanks. I think the yoke is the problem. I have a output shaft for a 727 handy and it only slides in so far,it doesnt bottom out. I also have an old mopar yoke and it bottoms out on both extra shaft and trans.I looked inside yoke but cant see any damage but it does fit tighter than the mopar one.
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/16/13 03:34 PM

not saying this is right.. but I cut a half inch of a yoke one time and it worked fine. the old chopsaw did the trick. was this a bad idea
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/16/13 04:19 PM

Mine`s a bit over a 1/2" and has been 4 years..........

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/17/13 05:41 PM

Quote:

Already have the axle 1in back but thanks. I think the yoke is the problem. I have a output shaft for a 727 handy and it only slides in so far,it doesnt bottom out. I also have an old mopar yoke and it bottoms out on both extra shaft and trans.I looked inside yoke but cant see any damage but it does fit tighter than the mopar one.

The splines arent twisted but down inside some may look weird I may have to rethink this all over because of this I may be to short.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/17/13 08:24 PM

Just got a new ds from dynotech. It measures 1.5 slip yoke clearance. Gave him all the measures.

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/17/13 08:32 PM

Well im gunna order a new slip yoke and go from there. Now correct me if I am wrong should I push yoke in till it gently stops than pull out 3/4 to ? inches. I have a small seal not the boot.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/17/13 08:36 PM

1.5" is too much. Slip yoke clearance should measure 3/4"-1".

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/17/13 08:48 PM

Hey doc how much for a good slip yoke

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/17/13 08:55 PM

I think the tail shaft sticking out the case 1 1/4" may be the reason for this. The caltrac bars hold the dana from rotating so wheres the problem?

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/17/13 09:12 PM

A forged steel 1350 727/833 slip yoke is $179

A forged steel 1350 pinion yoke is $70

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/17/13 09:13 PM

I am still runnin 7290

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/17/13 09:14 PM

The front U-joint should run as close to the tail housing as possible to avoid a vibration.
Posted By: Blown 68 R/T

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/17/13 10:01 PM

Could someone post a pic of the slip yoke that's too short/long and one thats right?

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/17/13 11:52 PM

Unbolt the driveshaft. Ideally, the slip yoke should slide forward 3/4" to 1" before it bottoms out inside the transmission.

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/18/13 02:25 PM

I had 1 1/4" of shaft sticking out the end of the trans housing. if I had 1" of yoke to housing clearance the shaft would be bottomed out in the yoke or pretty close to it.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/18/13 08:44 PM

Quote:

I had 1 1/4" of shaft sticking out the end of the trans housing. if I had 1" of yoke to housing clearance the shaft would be bottomed out in the yoke or pretty close to it.

In this case I would slide yoke in till it bottoms out,now measure from center of cap to center of cap,then subtract 1" from your measurement.

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/18/13 09:57 PM

I measured it all up and I have aprox 1in give or take a little with my DS. I went to where I bought the shaft sometime ago and they say bottom yoke,pull out and inch than measure center to center. The newer yoke will not go in all the way but if I force it I am sure it would. I cant see any twisted splines but something is in there. The way it was I only had 1/2" of slip.
Posted By: loaderpro

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/19/13 06:40 AM

It does not matter how far out the shaft is....You need at least 1" of freeplay forward on a leaf spring car and 3/4" on a ladder bar or 4 link car. Take the rear u-joint straps off, measure, then push it forward, remeasure, this also must be done at normal ride height.

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/23/13 01:27 AM

Just got new slip yoke and this one goes in less than the other . Does anybody make good parts anymore . Now what?
Posted By: Dap

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/23/13 03:58 PM

I twisted the spline in my 7290 yoke and replaced it with a MW 1350 yoke along with a new shaft.

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/23/13 04:53 PM

Thats what I thought at first but splines look great. The new yoke goes on less than the other and the stk one in my junk pile goes on great.
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/23/13 05:11 PM

Quote:

Thats what I thought at first but splines look great. The new yoke goes on less than the other and the stk one in my junk pile goes on great.

Are all the yokes the same length and have you measured the actual depth of the internal splines
?

Re: Driveshaft Length Help With Caltracs - 03/23/13 09:30 PM

All are about same length/depth. The 2 newer ones are the same make.
© 2024 Moparts Forums