Moparts

Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There?

Posted By: bremotorsports

Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/26/08 02:49 PM

I will now issue a "challenge" for all of you "history hounds" regarding the whereabouts and/or photos of the following cars, the first photo of which is from my own archives (and also on my website in the Vintage Drag Racing section of Moparcheology).

Jere Stahl E/SA 66 Valiant 273/4 BBL.

Ron Rizzo C/SA 69 Road Runner

Bob Pazos SS/GA 69 Super Bee

Centolanza Bros. SS/A and SS/E Hemi Cuda's

Bobby Gilmore SS/D 71 Hemi Cuda "Fantastic Voyage"

Willie Howell 66 Coronet Post Sedan "Big Iron"

Peter Faucetta SS/DA 70 Hemi Cuda

Let's have some fun!

Bill Rolik

Attached picture 4839988-0114070023.JPG
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/26/08 03:22 PM

Semi-Hi-jack Alert

Does anybody have any current information on

"The Gypsy" Original 1970 340 6-pack Stocker from the 70's?

Dave Tweedy from Idaho was the owner last I heard.

Thanks
Posted By: greendart408

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/26/08 03:29 PM

I saw the Gypsy in person 4 or 5 yrs ago at a mopar show in Nampa Idaho. He also had it at firebird raceway in boise the day after for the mopar drags in their show as well. One sweet car
Posted By: SSDA5006

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/26/08 03:37 PM

Not on your list but I'd love a photo of my car when Joe Umbra from Wilkes Barre,PA owned it.

Bob Kaiser purchased it from Joe and then Bob sold it to Kent Ritter. Some guys say it was Tim Richards before Joe Umbra but don't know how to reach Tim or Joe to confirm that. Any info/photos would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Attached picture 4840077-kaiserbros.jpg
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/26/08 03:43 PM

Quote:

Bob Kaiser purchased it from Joe and then Bob sold it to Kent Ritter

I know that car well. Worked on it alot when I was helping Kent out in the 70's and early 80's. Just saw it in August at the Hemi reunion.
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 11/26/08 03:45 PM

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/26/08 03:52 PM

Alex,

Joe Umbra also had a 71 (or 72) GTX 440 car.

Kaiser went on to run one of the Hamburger cars.

Ritter campaigned as a 440+6 in your car.

Tim Richards was of course the Ray Barton of his time, before moving to fuel categories.

Bill Rolik

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/26/08 04:02 PM

Fred,

You are correct: With so many tracks and so many racers, Division 1 was THE hotbed. I did not start until roughly 74, and Junior Stock was already going away. Junior Stock was back when you had to have a muffler under the car, not connected to anything! I have some non-Mopar vintage photos as well (L.A.W. Automotive Sedan Deliveries, Corbo's Sunoco's wagon, John Mason's Pontiac, and on and on).

Oh well, time to go make a living.

Bill Rolik
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/26/08 04:07 PM

Attached picture 4840154-stahl.jpg

Post deleted by Defbob - 11/26/08 04:14 PM

Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/26/08 04:26 PM

Jere Stahl started in a 57 Chevy sedan stocker, remember? Before he got into MoPars.

Remember George Cureton's "Tokyo Rose" sedan delivery? One of many, the "Yoo Hoo Too" sponsored by the chocolate drink outfit? The name slips me as to who drove it.

Those cars were everywhere. I wonder what happened to them all? You would think that with the number of them that existed there would still be some around somewhere. I'll have to post some pictures this evening.

Do you guys remember Bruce Larson's Cobra? I think it ran B/SP.

The wedge MoPars.....Al Olster's "One Step Beyond", Doughty's "Tuff Nuts", (I think that is his son that races one in NSS), Carl Schodde's "Steel City Wedge". A lot of those cars were Jenkins prepped, too. Remember Centolanza's RO Hemi Plymouth won the SS Nationals at York in 69?

Attached picture 4840201-DaveStrickleronTrailer.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/26/08 04:27 PM

Hi Holgar,

Remember talking to you about the car on the show side. Thanks for all the information about when Kent had it.

Bill,

Yes, most people remember Umbra's GTX. I'm not sure how much he ran the Cuda. When Bob Kaiser bought it from Joe it had the Richards motor in it already. Bob thought Umbra got it from Richards but that's the end of the info trail.

If anybody has any pics when Umbra had it(supposed to have been all white at that point)let me know. May have also had "Umbra Seafood" on the side of the car.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

PS-Photo attached is Bob Wenzelburgers from reunion

Attached picture 4840202-Wenzelburgerphoto2.jpg
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/26/08 04:29 PM

The Jr.Stockers were some of the first racing wagons. The old 55-57 sedan deliveries. I liked reading about the Jr. Stockers as a kid. I remember the Jenkins and Stahl names mentioned quite a bit. Controversy about 4spd hydro's and 4speed sticks in 57 chevys. And something about them protesting how I think Stahl had his licence plate shaped.

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/26/08 04:40 PM

Even tough I race Div 5, Div 1 really was the center of stock/superstock (JR Stock too). I loved reading those early Super Stock&Drag Illustrated articles about the Div 1 cars(Centolanza RO car for one). Div 1 even had the All Star Super Stock Circuit. It was great reading about those races.

Thrill for me was racing at the Dutch Classic in 2002 at Maple Grove. You can tell those guys are serious about their stock/super stock stuff. Seems to me guys around here go for more Super Gas ..Super Comp etcc...stuff(no knock on that stuff of course).

Oh Welll....I'm going to get heck from the Div 2&3 guys now....

Attached picture 4840233-allstarssmallbyte.jpg
Posted By: Dago Red

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/26/08 06:42 PM

Gee, how 'bout Kenny Montgomery?
Lemme see if I can remember any:
Steve was Joe's red and yellow 63 "Tight" or "Tuff Nuts" ? Kenny Lau's 64 Dodge "Lau Raider". Al Corda's steel nosed, ragtop, Max Wedge 64 Plymouth running SS/FA. Ron Reaman's white SS/DA 64 Plymouth (thanks for letting the kid help). I remember at least several dozen more,both Mopars and brand Xer's, but didn't want to dump them all out right here.

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/26/08 08:18 PM

You are right! Doughty's car was "Tight Nuts".

Corda wasn't a Division 1 car, though, he was from Wisconsin somewhere. I thought that Dr. Lau was from Michigan, though I could be wrong.

Remember Tritak & Morgan? The wagon was unbeatable, and they later had a 64 wedge hardtop that ran pretty well, too. They also had the Super Stock Magazine Hemi Cuda SS/DA, and I think they were division champs in that car, as well.

I've heard the wagon is still around the east coast somewhere, but I have not seen it for a long time. I don't know where the hardtop or the Cuda is. Someone told me not too long ago that Pete Tritak wants nothing to do with drag racing....he won't even discuss it. If true, that is sad, he could add so much to these discussions.

Kenny Montgomery is still around and runs on a regular basis. He is at all the Beaver Springs NSS events, and runs the Pittsburgh Chrysler Classic.

Attached picture 4840680-KenMontgomery.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/26/08 08:21 PM

Here is Ken Montgomery, recently. The car still flies, and Kenny is a true gentleman. A class act. His son runs a Super Gas Duster.

Attached picture 4840685-KennyMontgomery.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/26/08 09:08 PM

Steve, I think Al and his wife Jackie lived in Pennsylvania for a brief time. They were regulars at Maple Grove during my teenage pit rat days. The move was job induced, but they were always looking to return to the land of the Big Cheese. Obviously, they did just that! Kenny's Dodge was an old Mancini car, I'm sure that's where the Michigan thing comes from.
Steve, we definately grew up in the same parallel universe! Here's some more to stir the discussion key:
Norm Fryer's "007" SS/D Camaro
Ciccarone Bros SS/D Camaro
Bennett & Sirianni SS/I sbc Camaro
The "Pink Panther" SS/DA? or EA? 64 Plymouth
Vern Rowley's "Mr Speed" 64 Hemi Plymouth 4sp
Nate Cohen's "Nazy Crate" T-Bolt
Barry Curran's SS/IA "Super Shangri-La" big block Chevelle. VERY pretty car.
Dupree-Lupo-Croteu (sp?) 64 Dodge SS/BA Hemi This was the Fairbanks "shop car" Frank Lupo is now Dynamic Converters and has a 70 Hemi Cuda SS/DA-EA.
Bob Beckett's SS/OA 350 Olds Cutlass. Root Beer brown with not one decal on it, this thing could have crushed its soft record at anytime. Bob used to flat tow it on the turnpike with a mid sixties 4 dr Ford Galaxie.
That's enough for now, I gotta try and find my old snapshots!! RICK
Posted By: ASA1711

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/27/08 02:38 AM

You can't forget Jerry Stein's fleet of Teacher's Pet Max Wedge cars, Ray Cook's World Champion Hemi ragtop Challenger and the Carpinet Bros. Hemi Cuda. All legendary D1 Mopars.

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/27/08 02:39 AM

Steve,

RE: Ken Montgomery

I just presented the attached photo to Ken at the Dutch Classic. I took this photo in 1969 at Island Dragway, a couple of years before I started in S/S.

Regarding Tritak, he still operates his shop at the SAME LOCATION on Lexington Ave in Clifton. He specializes is air conditioning work. I drive by occasionally, but he always looks too busy to talk. I know this because he shop is so full, he usually works OUTSIDE!

Corda raced many times at Island with the ragtop. White with a black top.

Bill Rolik

Attached picture 4841326-0114070032.JPG
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/27/08 02:48 AM

I have the "Lau Raider Dodge" now. It was originally built by Tom Tignanelli and Ron Mancini came in later with his factory support to finish and campaign the car. Kenny sold his '69 Barracuda 383 car to buy it in 1970.

Kenny ran a service station in Shoemakersville and was also in the National Guard. He moved to Maine shortly after selling the Plymouth in 1978. I'm not sure where the Doctor thing came from?

I was also tracking the "Lau Raider Plymouth" down, but have since learned it was parted and a new one was built with the parts.

Last time I talked to Kenny, he was thinking about moving back to PA. He said he would be around at Christmas and expressed interest in coming to see the car. I really hope he does.

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/27/08 02:53 AM

Rick,

I know every one of those cars well. Years ago, with Stock/Super Stock combo running at E-Town, and at the time there being no breakout, the Bennett & Siriani car would sit alone in the staging lanes for a half hour. We had to flip coins to see who would pull in second, insuring a guaranteed loss. B & S had everyone covered by a mile! Bernie Agaman and Claude Urevig were just as fast.

Also, I think Jim Lovallo got out of his Chevy and into (I believe) the Lupo/Dupree/Croteau car, or perhaps a Max Wedge car before the Cuda came into the picture for Lupo.

This is insane: I could go on all night with this! (And it doesn't get any better than that!) If you have not already done so, go to my website (link below) and click on Moparcheology at the top. Then click on Vintage Mopar Drag Racing for more cool stuff.

Bill Rolik

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/27/08 03:03 AM

Nephew owns one of the "Pets" ..It's safely tucked away in a nice warm garage

Attached picture 4841376-petteabig.jpg
Posted By: ASA1711

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/27/08 03:06 AM

Bill,
Jimmy Lovallo sold the Corvette to a Canadian, raced Lupo's Dodge for one season, wrenched my wedge car until he bought his own and then moved to Illinois.

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/27/08 03:31 AM

Is Ken Montgommery's 65 Plymouth the same car in all those pictures?

Cause if so that amazing he still has it and races it!

Casey

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/27/08 03:33 AM

Quote:

Is Ken Montgommery's 65 Plymouth the same car in all those pictures?

Cause if so that amazing he still has it and races it!

Casey

same car, been changed several times

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/27/08 03:56 AM

"The Gypsy" was at Belvedere, Ill Mopar show a couple of years ago. Seemed to be a shell of it's former self...with lots of current technology on it. I talked with the owner Dave Tweedy. "What does it run?" I asked. He gave me a look and said, "It's much too valuable to race it." Wow, I couldn't beleive it. I admire people like Fred, and others who race their cars like they are ment to be. Keep the history alive on the track, not in some stuffy old museum.

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/27/08 04:09 AM

Ken is still racing the one he bought brand new. He also had the original Jack Werst car, but that was destroyed in an accident at Indy in the seventies sometime.

I did a piece on Kenny for Competition Plus, I attached the link. Some of you oldsters may find it interesting.

http://competitionplus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1282&Itemid=24

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/27/08 04:15 AM

I remember one of the slick things that the Bennet & Sirianni Camaro had was some kind of plumbing that tapped into the cooling system on the tow vehicle. When they arrived the motor was all warmed up and ready to go. I've not seen anything like it before or since.

Here is a shot of Al Olster's "One Step Beyond".

Attached picture 4841538-AlOlster63MaxieOneStepBeyond.jpg
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/27/08 04:17 AM

Quote:

"The Gypsy" was at Belvedere, Ill Mopar show a couple of years ago. Seemed to be a shell of it's former self...with lots of current technology on it. I talked with the owner Dave Tweedy. "What does it run?" I asked. He gave me a look and said, "It's much too valuable to race it." Wow, I couldn't beleive it. I admire people like Fred, and others who race their cars like they are ment to be. Keep the history alive on the track, not in some stuffy old museum.

I have a picture around here somewhere of that car. I sold Dave a
standard bore T/A block, with a close match on the build date for
that car, 6 years ago.

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/27/08 04:22 AM

Do you guys remember Tom Myl, from Pittsburgh. If memory serves me right, he won the Division one year.

Attached picture 4841552-TomMyl.jpg
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/27/08 04:31 AM

The Werst car has been sold and is being restored.Went down south I thought.Sat on Montgomerys lot all those years.Needs evey panel

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/27/08 04:33 AM

Here's Myl vs. Trapazano at an NHRA points meet at old Pittsburgh International Dragway. Bob George could probably tell you tons about these two.

Attached picture 4841574-TomMylvs.Trapazono,PIDpointmeet.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/27/08 04:40 AM

I know the Werst car was pretty well destroyed. Whoever is restoring it is really into a big time project!!

Remember Ed Hamburger and his small block stockers?

Attached picture 4841586-EdHamburger&LehmanDuster.jpg
Posted By: wildcargo

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/27/08 12:59 PM

Well I go back a fue years I still rember Harold Ramsey and his 57 Chevy and don't forget Thelma Ramsey she drove the 57 when Harold got the 58. O and the 4 speed may have bin legal on the local tracks in a 57 but when thay went to Indy thay had to run the 3 speed, 4 speed ok in the Vets. I evean rember striccly stock,and the old Atlis Bucrons.
Here is my favorite Bob Harrop and the flying carpet. This is a restored aluminum front max wedge. That is Bob driving after a 30 year apsence, when he got back from the run thay ran the play back tach and said Bub you didn't shift when the shift light went on. Bob said I shifted it by ear. It went 10.50 on that run shifting by ear

Attached picture 4841814-scan0001B.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/27/08 02:29 PM

How many of you guys remember Eddie Matsko and the Chevy A-Go-Go Modified Production 58 Chevy?
It was one of a kind, and it is being restored now.

Attached picture 4841901-matskoed58goldKeystoneTruby.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/27/08 07:01 PM

Before we head off the parents for chow, here are a few more!

First up:

The Callahan & Sulc F/SA 62 Plymouth 383/343.

Frank Iaconio Driving!

Bill Rolik

Attached picture 4842422-0114070010.JPG

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/27/08 07:03 PM

I have never figured who "The Boss" was!

BR

Attached picture 4842425-0114070034.JPG

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/27/08 07:09 PM

The Higgins and Richards (as in Tim Richards) SS/FA Belvedere at Island.

BR

Attached picture 4842434-0114070036.JPG

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/27/08 07:12 PM

Chuck McJury's Playmate II.

Keep 'em comin' guys!

Bill Rolik

Attached picture 4842438-0114070008.JPG

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/28/08 01:50 AM

Rudy Schings SS/B Plymouth from western Pa.

Attached picture 4842969-RudySchings.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/28/08 01:53 AM

Wes Leopold vs. Jimmy Lydon

Attached picture 4842977-WesLeopoldJimLydon.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/29/08 07:58 AM

Bill, Steve, this is just too freaking cool!! Rolled up in a sleeping bag on the trailer for a two day big money race someplace, or coming home stone filthy with a big grin 'cause we went rounds. A kid could have a lot of fun for $5 and a tank of gas.

I just remembered another tough Bowtie team: The Musser Bros. They started out with a big 427 68 or 69 stick Chevelle and after constantly breaking it got a SS/I small block Nova. Barry wore HUGE eyeglasses and I'd bet he was legally blind without them, but a nicer guy (or tougher racer) you'd never meet.

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/29/08 03:36 PM

Attached picture 4845568-user65671_pic25086_1225552165.jpg
Posted By: topside

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/29/08 03:58 PM

OK, someone said Hamburger Dusters? Here's Ed's car back in the day; I've owned it for quite a while, after finding it in MD. I've tracked down 3 of the other cars; one Duster runs currently in Stock as the Sawduster, one's sitting in Canada, and the Demon/Duster SS/KA car is in Maine, restored.

Attached picture 4845601-Ham-4.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/29/08 03:58 PM

Color shot @ E-town

Attached picture 4845603-hamburger01.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/29/08 04:04 PM

And the way the car is currently. Everyone's seen the wheels-up pic by now...

Attached picture 4845613-squeaky.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/29/08 04:38 PM

Here's another shot of Lowry's wagon....

Attached picture 4845668-JackLowrywagon.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/29/08 06:42 PM

We small block guys own a lot to Ed. He was sciencing small block stuff for the rest of us when there was NOTHING aftermarket for it. Thanks Ed!!

Steve is that Leopold/Lyndon shot from the Beaver? I keep wanting to come up for their nostalgia race (my son lives in Harrisburg) and be the long distance guy.....

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/29/08 09:12 PM

[Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean], that shot was taken at old Keystone Raceway Park, (now Pittsburgh Raceway Park) back around 1972-1973. Wes Leopold's son races a SS GT Daytona, and Lydon is back in the MoPars again with a maxie 64 Plymouth A/SA. He raced some SS GT Camaros for a while. The Hemi Cuda is an original and Jimmy Lydon still has it parked on display in his game room (no kidding), just the way you see it there.

Here is another "heavy" of the day; Carl Schodde's "Steel City Wedge". The car was almost unbeatable in the western Pa.-Ohio area, and was very successful in Division One points and the eastern NHRA National events. This shot was taken around 1974. It had been wrecked, repaired, and got one of those fancy paint jobs by Greg of Akron, Ohio.

Make the trip to the Beaver....you won't regret it!!!

Attached picture 4846160-SteelCityWedgepaintbyGregcirca1974.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/29/08 09:30 PM

Here is the same car, today....fully restored and back to its original paint scheme. Personally, I liked it like this much better than the Greg fancy paint.

Attached picture 4846192-SteelCityWedgetoday.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/29/08 10:21 PM

Not a Div 1 guy but, pretty famous around these parts ..

And, he is still racing

pic#1

Attached picture 4846285-joesmith2.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/29/08 10:23 PM

pic#2

Attached picture 4846289-joesmithtrophy.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/29/08 10:24 PM

And then ..

Attached picture 4846291-joesmith.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 11/29/08 10:25 PM

It was all the rage ..

Attached picture 4846295-joesmith3.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/30/08 01:29 AM

Man, I LOVE the wheels on the Steel City Wedge car in teh restored pic. My (Ed's) car had Flys back in the day, which I'm thinking of duplicating as close as I can with Bogarts.

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/30/08 06:39 PM

OK Guys,

Here are some more!

First up:

Two C/SA cars at Island. The blue and white car was called the "Taha Bosa". Who was the owner?

Bill Rolik

Attached picture 4848281-113008.JPG

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/30/08 06:41 PM

Another mystery car:

"Candy"

BR

Attached picture 4848289-1130080001.JPG

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/30/08 06:42 PM

Charlie Castaldo's Hemi Dart, still with the original Keystone Classic wheels!

BR

Attached picture 4848294-1130080002.JPG

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/30/08 06:44 PM

Indy 76.

Neil "Red" Goldstein's F/SA Challenger, and Boertman's SS/IA killer 383 car just behind him.

BR

Attached picture 4848305-1130080003.JPG

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/30/08 06:47 PM

Summernationals 1971.

Notice Jack Worrel's Torino ragtop in the background.

BUT:

Ladies First!

Judi Boertman

BR

Attached picture 4848315-1130080004.JPG

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/30/08 06:51 PM

Dave ("In the final, I am going to leave on the top light, so I don't end up in Chateau Bow-Wow") Boertman.

BR

Attached picture 4848323-1130080005.JPG

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/30/08 06:53 PM

Division 1 "intruder" Bill McGraw's SS/EA car.

Tritak & Morgan's SS/DA to the left, and Dave Wren's SS/EA in front.

Yipes Stripes!

BR

Attached picture 4848335-1130080006.JPG

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/30/08 06:55 PM

My Duster, BEFORE I changed to the low compression engine and the more familiar yellow-with red-stripes paint combo!

BR

Attached picture 4848344-1130080007.JPG

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/30/08 07:00 PM

Car owner Vinny Borsella re-installing the Shaker scoop on his SS/JA 71 340 Cuda as I am jumping in for another pass at "The Patch". He does all the work, and I drive: What's not to like! This is the current Bill Meerholz car, which he and I are working towards resurrecting. Bracket racer John Moser's Cuda is in front, and he used my camera for this shot.

BR

Attached picture 4848354-1130080008.JPG

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/30/08 07:05 PM

OK, "grudgingly" out of professional respect, here are a few "Brand X" cars. Enjoy!

First up:

Lou Cuviello's "Special Delivery 1" N/SA.

Walt and Anne Toews ran the 58 M/SA "Special Delivery 2".

BR

Attached picture 4848368-1130080009.JPG

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/30/08 07:09 PM

"Grump's Group"

SS/C and B/G for Bill.

SS/C for Dave Strickler.

This is the first time I saw a serious "rig" in person. At the time, the Strickler-Jenkins Performance Clinic trailer looked like it was 100 feet long!

Jerry Stein's ORIGINAL "Teachers Pet" in the background on the right.

BR

Attached picture 4848377-1130080010.JPG

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/30/08 07:11 PM

John Mason's H/SA 428 Catalina "Tomahawk".

BR

Attached picture 4848381-1130080011.JPG

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/30/08 07:13 PM

Ed Hedrick's SS/E Camaro from "Grump's Group"!

BR

Attached picture 4848388-1130080012.JPG

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/30/08 07:15 PM

No, I was not going to leave the Ford contingent out!

John Elliott's SS/F Cobra Jet.

BR

Attached picture 4848391-1130080013.JPG

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/30/08 07:18 PM

Well, this is one of my Pro Stock photos, but I could not resist:

Sporting the "IN" fashion of the times in the Pro Stock world, namely the striped pants, here are Bobby Yowell and Carmine Rotonda looking confident and relaxed!

Keep the photos coming guys!

Bill Rolik

Attached picture 4848398-1130080014.JPG

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/30/08 11:37 PM

Why not? Here is John Kunsak's 68 Camaro, a runner in the mid seventies in Division 1 SS.

Attached picture 4849117-JohnKunsak68Camaropitside.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/30/08 11:39 PM

"Little Joe's Hemi" SS/BA from Altoona, Pa.

Attached picture 4849125-LittleJoe\'sHemi.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 11/30/08 11:41 PM

I was never a Buick man (or anything else non-MoPar, either), but this one ran good. Dave Fiore's Stocker, also from Altoona.

Attached picture 4849131-fioredavesslakeystonetruby.jpg
Posted By: Frito

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 12/16/08 04:12 AM

Quote:

Steve, I think Al and his wife Jackie lived in Pennsylvania for a brief time. They were regulars at Maple Grove during my teenage pit rat days. The move was job induced, but they were always looking to return to the land of the Big Cheese. Obviously, they did just that! Kenny's Dodge was an old Mancini car, I'm sure that's where the Michigan thing comes from.
Steve, we definately grew up in the same parallel universe! Here's some more to stir the discussion key:
Norm Fryer's "007" SS/D Camaro
Ciccarone Bros SS/D Camaro
The "Pink Panther" SS/DA? or EA? 64 Plymouth
Vern Rowley's "Mr Speed" 64 Hemi Plymouth 4sp
Nate Cohen's "Nazy Crate" T-Bolt
Barry Curran's SS/IA "Super Shangri-La" big block Chevelle. VERY pretty car.
Dupree-Lupo-Croteu (sp?) 64 Dodge SS/BA Hemi This was the Fairbanks "shop car" Frank Lupo is now Dynamic Converters and has a 70 Hemi Cuda SS/DA-EA.
Bob Beckett's SS/OA 350 Olds Cutlass. Root Beer brown with not one decal on it, this thing could have crushed its soft record at anytime. Bob used to flat tow it on the turnpike with a mid sixties 4 dr Ford Galaxie.
That's enough for now, I gotta try and find my old snapshots!! RICK

My next door neighbor bought a 64 aluminum 4 speed Plymouth from Vernon Rowley in the late 70"s. Vernon said he was buying a boat. I wish I would have ask the history of this car. Dave Mosley ran it as a 4 speed. His brother and I took it to Indy and were class runner up to Dave Wren. Raced a lot of IHRA super Stock both 4 speed and Auto. It is still around being raced as a bracket car by a well known collector. I have not been able to trace in back from Vernon, any help???
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 12/16/08 04:21 AM

How about a pic of John Friel's car ? ... BTW ..whatever happened to him ? ....

And then there is Ed Miller !

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 12/16/08 04:28 AM

Quote:

I have the "Lau Raider Dodge" now. It was originally built by Tom Tignanelli and Ron Mancini came in later with his factory support to finish and campaign the car. Kenny sold his '69 Barracuda 383 car to buy it in 1970.

Kenny ran a service station in Shoemakersville and was also in the National Guard. He moved to Maine shortly after selling the Plymouth in 1978. I'm not sure where the Doctor thing came from?

I was also tracking the "Lau Raider Plymouth" down, but have since learned it was parted and a new one was built with the parts.

Last time I talked to Kenny, he was thinking about moving back to PA. He said he would be around at Christmas and expressed interest in coming to see the car. I really hope he does.

Steve, I was partners with Dave Mosley and we bought a 64 Max Wedge Dodge with both the aluminum and steel fronts from Tom Cunningham. The car was painted in the Manicni red and yellow paint like Luke Garners car except in had New Era potato Chips as on the doors. We had several class wins and set the record on IHRA. I have tried to track the car since I sold it. Englehart had it for a while but he didn't seem to want to tell me where it went from him. Any chance you have it? If so, I have several photos and some history for you. I tried to PM you several weeks ago but it would not go through. As soon as I can get the photos to go through I will post them.
There was a photo on the 63, 64 thread before it closed. It was at Lexington, KY. The car was white with red and blue stripes. It has Mosley Auto on the doors and Griffith Moore Dodge on the quarters.
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 12/16/08 07:28 PM

Quote:

Steve, I was partners with Dave Mosley and we bought a 64 Max Wedge Dodge with both the aluminum and steel fronts from Tom Cunningham. The car was painted in the Manicni red and yellow paint like Luke Garners car except in had New Era potato Chips as on the doors. We had several class wins and set the record on IHRA. I have tried to track the car since I sold it. Englehart had it for a while but he didn't seem to want to tell me where it went from him. Any chance you have it? If so, I have several photos and some history for you. I tried to PM you several weeks ago but it would not go through. As soon as I can get the photos to go through I will post them.
There was a photo on the 63, 64 thread before it closed. It was at Lexington, KY. The car was white with red and blue stripes. It has Mosley Auto on the doors and Griffith Moore Dodge on the quarters.

That's not my car. My car went from Kenny to a man named Richard Leaper in Glenmoore, PA. He painted the car brown and raced it for a little while. It was then sold to Richard Hutchins in Pasadena, Maryland. His wife, Thelma, ran the car until 1995. It's been in my garage since November of 1995.

The car you're talking about sounds like the old Rod Shop '64?
Posted By: ww63

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 12/16/08 08:10 PM

the Rowley car was bought new by Dave Colett, car was raced as a 4spd but was originally an auto
Posted By: ww63

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 12/16/08 08:28 PM

if you are talking about the 64 alum wedge that was at Chapmans that car is not for sale and the guy prefers to remain discreet
Posted By: GOLDENCOMMANDO

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 12/17/08 02:19 AM

Attached picture 4883863-3865546-PET_002.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 12/17/08 02:20 AM

Attached picture 4883865-3865550-3525284-pethoodupbig.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 12/17/08 02:21 AM

Attached picture 4883871-3952229-TeachersPet3.jpg
Posted By: Joe Grippo

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 12/17/08 03:02 AM

Here are a few more....

Tritak and Morgan

Al Corda D2 & D5

Tim Richards

Rick Wolf?

Clayton B. Wright

Division One - We are #1

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 12/17/08 03:31 AM

Al Cordas ragtop is awesome!! What ever happened to that car?
Posted By: swede76

I wonder if any one have some pictures on larry morgans - 12/17/08 12:19 PM

Hi Im loking for some pictures on rod shop Larry Morgans challenger -73 email to mopar_forever@hotmail.com if any one have some

Tanks Robert
Posted By: TX91971

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 01/02/09 03:58 AM

hello I was wondering if you could get back with me on the post you made with the jack lowry dodge wagon. I'd like to talk to you about it. thanks 717-580-7616
Posted By: TX91971

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 01/02/09 04:01 AM

hello steve I would like to talk to you about the post of the jack lowry dodge wagon pic can you get back with me please 717-580-7616 thanks

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 01/02/09 06:31 AM

Mr Slick, do they still make jokes about Elverson in the local news rag?

Anyway, you're right about the E-body Cuda, Rick Wolf's was a Six Pack car that ran in SS/FA and GA. Rick was a watchmaker and the name is "Time Flies" in Latin (got it straight from a Latin teacher in high school). I believe Clayton Wright is still around in Stock with a B-body 273 wagon.

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 02/08/09 11:02 PM

My old car!!!!!! Looks different than what you got from Chapman, UH Fred!!
Posted By: gillman34

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 02/10/09 03:25 AM

Attached picture 5013916-callahan+sulc1971.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 02/10/09 03:28 AM

Attached picture 5013926-ply1-vi.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 02/10/09 03:32 AM

Attached picture 5013943-villianiacionio.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 02/10/09 03:33 AM

Attached picture 5013953-tritakandmorgan.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 02/10/09 04:26 AM

Nudder pet ..

Attached picture 5014103-Jerry%20Stien1966%20copy.jpg
Posted By: MRVCODE

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 02/10/09 04:37 AM

Wille Howells 66 Hemi Coronet is in NJ.
Posted By: Tommy D

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 02/10/09 05:33 PM

Attached File
5014861-Doc8.doc  (546 downloads)
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 02/10/09 05:37 PM

Where did you come up with that picture of Smith Tom? Mikes sister just left here.He will be gone a year March 12th.I sure miss him

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 02/10/09 06:49 PM

Attached File
5015034-70Challengervert.doc  (666 downloads)

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 02/10/09 06:50 PM

Attached File
5015036-CanadaDrywagon.doc  (376 downloads)

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 02/10/09 06:51 PM

Attached File
5015040-Dvorak63Dodge.doc  (504 downloads)

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 02/10/09 06:51 PM

Attached File
5015043-Dvorak63ragtop.doc  (339 downloads)

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 02/10/09 06:52 PM

Attached File
5015045-DvorakLaunch.doc  (349 downloads)

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 02/10/09 06:53 PM

Attached File

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 02/10/09 06:53 PM

Attached File

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out Th - 02/10/09 06:54 PM

Attached File
5015054-KenMontgomery2.doc  (390 downloads)

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 03/04/09 09:22 PM

'' The Gypsy '' is alive and well.I still terrorize the neighborhood occasionally and it will still lift the front end with the 488 gears. I'm not sure Turbo what you saw in Belvedere but the car is not and has never been as you have described it. '' A former shell '' and upgraded technology? The complete drive train was freshened but there are no mods except for mufflers to keep the neighbors happy. The car is as it was raced, original, Fast,and beautiful as it was. (Complete story in MCG Feb 04). Only a fool would race this car in competition side by side. Here some pics of Ray Montgomery original owner and Driver (Here local) In the expo building in the same room 33 years apart. Cheers! Dave Tweedy

Attached picture 5070184-RayChallenger.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 03/04/09 09:24 PM

Original in March 1971

Attached picture 5070188-Picture335.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 03/04/09 09:28 PM

One more.

Attached picture 5070200-GypsyMarch05056.jpg

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 03/04/09 09:40 PM

Portland

Attached picture 5070230-Picture337.jpg
Posted By: moparscott17

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 02/11/10 05:11 AM

hey everyone i know im writing on an old post but i have some good info very early in the thread someone mentioned the one step beyond 63 plymouth and the 62 plymouth of callahan and sulc. my dad owned the al olster car for a bit and that car is somewhere on the west coast getting a full restoration. the callahan and sulc plymouth was bought and brought to division five where it was raced by a man named rick johnson along with the one step beyond car at the same time coming to division 5 driven by john murphy renamed decimation. my dad purchased the 62 plymouth in around 1982 the car was tubbed and caged by don ness(builds prostock stuff now) before we got it. my dad ran a max wedge in the car for years but it has been sitting in storage for about 10 years i got it out to bring to a car show last year and plan to have it out and about more i have a new picture of it but if anyone has any other old photos of it or anything let me know i would love to have them!
Posted By: grncpe

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 02/21/10 02:45 AM

Hi, I know this is a old thread but I thought I would ask.I see on your list you have the Pink Panther 64 plymouth.I am new on here and thought I would look for it.My dad was the wrench on that car in '71 with Sunny Freeman driving.It was SS/EA and the car held the record that year 11.11 on a 7" tire.Then later that year it blew the record away at 10.86 on a 10" tire.They sold the car to Sam Panute.I am still looking for the car and I don't know who to ask on here about it.I met with jerry stien (Teachers Pet)and he did not know but that was a few years ago.Any Info please let me know.

Thanks, Tom
Posted By: RaceCarRegistry

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 02/21/10 03:46 AM

Tom, PM me at: raremopars@frontiernet.net. I can tell you where the 64 PP car is - Reed in Neb.
Posted By: Dyno360

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 07/17/14 07:56 PM

Quote:

Hi, I know this is a old thread but I thought I would ask.I see on your list you have the Pink Panther 64 plymouth.I am new on here and thought I would look for it.My dad was the wrench on that car in '71 with Sunny Freeman driving.It was SS/EA and the car held the record that year 11.11 on a 7" tire.Then later that year it blew the record away at 10.86 on a 10" tire.They sold the car to Sam Panute.I am still looking for the car and I don't know who to ask on here about it.I met with jerry stien (Teachers Pet)and he did not know but that was a few years ago.Any Info please let me know.

Thanks, Tom

I announced for many years at 75-80 Dragway in Monrovia, MD. Some of their best races were Super Stock/Stock meets. There were many standout drivers, but the "Pink Panther" won just about every time he would show up. Driver was focused and nothing would distract him as he pulled to the starting line. What I remember was a little chain that dangled down from the front of the car. Don't know, but I had one on my street car that I could wrap around the radiator partition and padlock to keep people from opening my hood. Maybe that's what it was for??? Another quirk was Sonny would put ice on the intake manifold and when he would make "dry hops" approaching the starting line some of the melting water would trickle down between his front tires. I was always afraid that his slicks would get some of the water and he would go sideways at the start. NEVER HAPPENED! One of the best running Mopars from that era.
Posted By: Dyno360

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 07/17/14 08:14 PM

Quote:

Here's some more to stir the discussion key:

I'll never forget when that car rolled into 75-80 Dragway. At first, I didn't recognize the car. On the door in large, engine turned, gold leaf letters were the words, JUST ME. What? I couldn't figure it out. Turns out, they were no longer a team, just Carl Bennett or Ron Sirianni. (I think it was Bennett)
Anyway, at the finish line on each side of the track were metal poles with large Sprite (like the soft drink) signs. The sign would flash indicating the winning car of each race. "Just Me" went down in the right lane during eliminations. Just before reaching the finish line something happened and the right rear wheel locked up (blown rear end? don't know). Well the car went abruptly off the track to the right, just missing the Sprite sign pole and went up an enbankment and flipped into the air. Driver was OK, but the beautiful, white SS/I car, was a mess. What a shame.
Posted By: grncpe

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 07/23/14 12:37 AM

WOW ! almost 4 years later ! Thanks for the reply. I will ask my Dad about the chain…Great story..Thanks again…Tom
Posted By: DusterDog

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 07/23/14 03:11 AM

Anybody have some photos of Ken Dornin's Omaha Orange A/SA 1964 Belvedere "Jeannette Auto Parts" car??
Posted By: DusterDog

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 07/24/14 02:39 AM

How about Lydon & Johnson's 63 Plymouth??
Posted By: bobkaiser

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 10/15/15 02:59 AM

I'm the Bob Kaiser that owned Joe Umbra's Cuda. Tim Richards built the car for him. I also owned Clayton Wright's 70 Cuda at the same time. I bought Tritak and Morgan's 64 2 door ht. I sold it to Gary Hettler and bought it back. I had Bill Styles's 68 Cuda and the 68 that Clayton Wright has now. The Umbra car is owned by a guy in Ohio and is called High Flying Hemi. My nephew wanted to get into racing and we are running a 70 Cuda painted the same red and white scheme as my SS/DA cars. It is nice reading this forum.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 10/15/15 03:11 AM

Good to see you here Bob. I remember your SS/DA Cuda when I lived in MD. You should post some pics of your cars.
Posted By: SSDAcuda

Re: Div. 1 Super Stock/Stock Race Cars! Are They Out There? - 10/15/15 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By bobkaiser
I'm the Bob Kaiser that owned Joe Umbra's Cuda. Tim Richards built the car for him. I also owned Clayton Wright's 70 Cuda at the same time. I bought Tritak and Morgan's 64 2 door ht. I sold it to Gary Hettler and bought it back. I had Bill Styles's 68 Cuda and the 68 that Clayton Wright has now. The Umbra car is owned by a guy in Ohio and is called High Flying Hemi. My nephew wanted to get into racing and we are running a 70 Cuda painted the same red and white scheme as my SS/DA cars. It is nice reading this forum.

Good to see you on here Bob! There are pictures of your Cuda on here somewhere. The history on that car is a little vague. That is also the Kent Ritter/ Baughman Car, correct? It was said that car was originally raced by Tim Richards. Is that true???
© 2024 Moparts Forums