Moparts

rollbar main hoop, can it be angled?

Posted By: dirt

rollbar main hoop, can it be angled? - 03/05/13 07:57 PM

Installing a rollbar into a 72 scamp and with the seat back enough to get leg room it hits the main hoop bar . I am keeping the back seat so i cant really move the bottom of the bar back at the floor because it would be in the seat but if i angle it back 10° it clears the seat and helmit.
I didnt see anything in the nhra rules about this main hoop being angled or not.
Any experience with this?
Thanks, kenny
Posted By: Crizila

Re: rollbar main hoop, can it be angled? - 03/05/13 08:10 PM

s long as the top of the bar is not more than 6" to the rear of the drivers helmet you should be ok.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: rollbar main hoop, can it be angled? - 03/05/13 09:33 PM

Quote:

s long as the top of the bar is not more than 6" to the rear of the drivers helmet you should be ok.

It must be above the helmet with you in the seat also Roll bars and rear seats do not mix well
Posted By: MW Racecraft

Re: rollbar main hoop, can it be angled? - 03/05/13 11:53 PM

Has to be less than 20 degrees
set back. Just when thru this
redoing a roll cage in a Monza.
Tube chassis car built for a 5'2
driver. Car was sold to 5'10
driver.
Posted By: loaderpro

Re: rollbar main hoop, can it be angled? - 03/06/13 05:22 PM

I have built quite a few chassis cars and I always put 15 degrees in them, then I also add a dropped style seatback brace, This allows for maximum driver setback and as the other members noted it helps to keep the helmet within the 6 inch tolerance. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Scott58

Re: rollbar main hoop, can it be angled? - 03/06/13 08:24 PM

Maybe a dumb question, but what's a "dropped style" seatback brace? Got a picture?
Posted By: dizuster

Re: rollbar main hoop, can it be angled? - 03/07/13 12:00 AM

Yup, no problem with an angled bar. Mine also has a bent cross bar for maximum seat travel while still keeping the bar close to your head.

Attached picture 7615999-2012-09-03_13-37-45_593.jpg
Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: rollbar main hoop, can it be angled? - 03/07/13 02:27 AM

mine is angled back slightly, i use all my stock seats. A body

Posted By: dirt

Re: rollbar main hoop, can it be angled? - 03/07/13 04:46 AM

thanks for the pictures. i set it at 10 degrees and it fits good. and matches the angle of the side glass chrome strip with the seal on it.
Posted By: loaderpro

Re: rollbar main hoop, can it be angled? - 03/07/13 07:47 PM

No such thing as a dumb question Scott! I always figured if your adding a cage or doing a chassis car you try to build it with a larger pct on the rear tires. And the driver is no exception!

Attached picture 7617017-24.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums