Moparts

ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ?

Posted By: dOc !

ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/25/13 07:03 PM

... got a Bud who is interested in this. You know ..... with say an alky motor and a body-style that you can really tell what it is. Is there any money in small-track bookings ? ... for maybe match races or 8 car fields or whatever?
Posted By: Devilbrad

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/25/13 08:58 PM

I would start here. Bunch of cool guys. http://classicfunnycarboard.com/CFB/index.php
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/25/13 11:33 PM

I would be down for that too.

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/25/13 11:48 PM

THX Db ..... I cruised a bit over-there ...
Posted By: Lil Demon

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/26/13 12:36 AM

IMHO - Alcohol funny cars do not attract crowds and thus match racing for a show will not be very lucrative. Fans like nitro. If your buddy is looking to race an NE or AF/C class - then I would say great, but if he is trying to make money match racing - nitro is the way to go - and that is probably a money losing proposition.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/26/13 12:41 AM

Quote:

IMHO - Alcohol funny cars do not attract crowds and thus match racing for a show will not be very lucrative. Fans like nitro. If your buddy is looking to race an NE or AF/C class - then I would say great, but if he is trying to make money match racing - nitro is the way to go - and that is probably a money losing proposition.

100%... I worked with a funny car team here
in Mich years ago and at that time it was a money
looosing game... the owner still wanted to play and
we made a lot of runs at Detroit Dragway and Milan
till he finally gave it up... at that time he was
making about 2000 hp (years ago)

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/26/13 01:28 AM

GOOD basic info guyz ..... I am thinking that he does not expect to be the DSR of N/FC .... but he surely does not want it to be a huge loser either. Maybe have some grins and break-even. No ?
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/26/13 01:34 AM

Quote:

GOOD basic info guyz ..... I am thinking that he does not expect to be the DSR of N/FC .... but he surely does not want it to be a huge loser either. Maybe have some grins and break-even. No ?

NOPE....I was considering jumping into NitroNFC....my boy is almost 15 now and would be the driver.....the cost is staggering.....what you "THINK" it will cost....TRIPLE it.... with middle of the road equipment your looking at 275,000.00 just to roll through the gate the first time not including the tow rig.....1500.00 to 2000.00 a weekend for fuel....parts if nothing big happens...1300.00(clutch parts mainly)...tires 800.00 ....entry fees and travel too add up fast....8-10 crew guys at 75.00 ea ...food etc....We are gonna run NE I to start...7.60 index...then see where it takes us...
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/26/13 01:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

NOPE....I was considering jumping into NitroNFC....my boy is almost 15 now and would be the driver.....the cost is staggering.....what you "THINK" it will cost....TRIPLE it.... with middle of the road equipment your looking at 275,000.00 just to roll through the gate the first time not including the tow rig.....1500.00 to 2000.00 a weekend for fuel....parts if nothing big happens...1300.00(clutch parts mainly)...tires 800.00 ....entry fees and travel too add up fast....8-10 crew guys at 75.00 ea ...food etc....We are gonna run NE I to start...7.60 index...then see where it takes us...

Thats a nitro F/C... alcy was MUCH cheaper... but
still a looser when it comes to money.... even with
the 4 of us guys working or free(yes he payed the
entry and food... which his wife normally made)...
it was still a FUN time and also I learned a ton

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/26/13 01:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thats a nitro F/C... alcy was MUCH cheaper... but
still a looser when it comes to money.... even with
the 4 of us guys working or free(yes he payed the
entry and food... which his wife normally made)...
it was still a FUN time and also I learned a ton

Yes....Alky is A LOT cheaper...but ZERO promoters will book an Alky car...... So if Doc's buddy wants match races and bookings...it's CH3NO2 or nothing.... Nitro puts them in the stands...thats why we'll run an Alky FC in NE I to start.....loads of fun for little $$$$....still gonna be close to 50K to get it going....

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/26/13 01:57 AM

THX guys ... after he reads this ...I think he will ZAP this idea. .... But I am curious .... WHY is an alky car so dissed by track-owners? .. they have lots of noise with some times way wilder burn-outs ....THAT is what puts certain people in the stands.

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/26/13 02:11 AM

Quote:

THX guys ... after he reads this ...I think he will ZAP this idea. .... But I am curious .... WHY is an alky car so dissed by track-owners? .. they have lots of noise with some times way wilder burn-outs ....THAT is what puts certain people in the stands.

PERCEPTION......NITRO cars are much louder.....header flames at night....Nitro takes their breath away in the pits during warm ups.....
Alky cars just don't have the "IT" factor for fans.....
Case in Point.....the ANRA (www.anra.com)does not run Nitro... but is a top notch Nostalgia series out west...and runs Alky FC in NE I class...Spectators that sit in the stands? 25-50 people ....
The March Meet coming up.... NITRO....lots of Nitro F/C's and fuelers....paid spectators... 35,000-50,000 people ......

This pic doesn't even show a 1/3 of the pits or the 300+ campers on the spectator side.

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/26/13 03:33 AM

Thx Cm ..... CAN'T argue with them stats ! I think that this will burst-his-bubble a little ...... but he is more-a bottom-line guy to-boot.
Posted By: Dago Red

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/26/13 12:05 PM

Hey Doc, we have a popular AA/FA circus in north Texas, and some of the runners have combos that use just enough nitro to put cackle in the motor and fire in the pipes. The shows are always packed.

Attached picture 7603869-Sundown.jpg

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/26/13 04:10 PM

Quote:

Hey Doc, we have a popular AA/FA circus in north Texas, and some of the runners have combos that use just enough nitro to put cackle in the motor and fire in the pipes. The shows are always packed.

....AND nitro in the air ? .... what % do they have to run? .... do you know if that "circus" is somewhat financially viable ?
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/26/13 05:54 PM

Love watching those guys run. Something about a short whellbase car.
Posted By: 23T Hemmee

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/26/13 06:01 PM

http://www.outlawfuelaltereds.com/

This is a great group, Bobby Marriot has done a heck of a job putting this together, its a booked in show usually but you do have to race to qualify, some run a percentage, some run straight alky, they have somewhat of a performance ceiling but try to keep the cars around the 4.00 1/8th mile range. Wish they were closer to Nashville, would love to run with them, in fact I bought my 23 from a guy that did run with them in the early 2000's. If they had 2-3 day races I probably would try to make a few, but most all but one of their races are Saturday night deals, long pull for a 1-day race. If your buddy is up in the Mich/Minn/IL area, he might want to check out the Great Lakes Nostalgia Funny Car Assoc. They have a pretty decent alky group from what I understand, booked in shows, not a lot of money but seems like they spread it out so everyone takes home something. If your buddy has visions of actually making money running a nitro car, ask him to take a roll of 100's and start flushing them down the commode one at a time. If he can do that for an hour without breaking a sweat, then he can probably afford to run a nitro car........
Posted By: Slingshot383

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/26/13 06:08 PM

yep, the Great Lakes Funny Car circuit is a good group of guys, But, blown alcohol, you friend would be better off with an altered body on that chassis, more places and organizations to race with. Another group is the Central States Superchargers, FED's and altereds.

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/26/13 09:55 PM

So guys ... is it just all about the "glory" of running these cars .... is there any light at the end of the tunnel on at least covering expenses ?

I hope to be putting together a fast-bracket open-wheel, left hand steer car ... and if I could not MAKE MONEY with it ...I would not do it.

Now do I expect to make-money .... like if I were to put the same time-effort into it like in my biz-exploits ? ... of course not.

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/26/13 10:17 PM

Quote:

So guys ... is it just all about the "glory" of running these cars .... is there any light at the end of the tunnel on at least covering expenses ?

I hope to be putting together a fast-bracket open-wheel, left hand steer car ... and if I could not MAKE MONEY with it ...I would not do it.

Now do I expect to make-money .... like if I were to put the same time-effort into it like in my biz-exploits ? ... of course not.

Even hitting big bucks deep pockets payout races and my son winning over 8k last year ....we went in the hole 15K.....and thats a JUNIOR DRAGSTER.....we raced in Calif...Nevada...Texas...and Colorado. You don't race to make money....or cover expenses.

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/26/13 10:37 PM

8k$ in a Jr/D ? .... how many races was that? Losing that kind of money ? .... why did you do it then ? ...why not just race dirt bikes for grins on a local basis?

Me ? .... I raced at local tracks up in MI(with a 13-flat drive-out car in the slower bracket) ... from the late 70's to the early 90's .... and I always MADE MONEY ... but not like if I had put the time and effort into my fiberglass biz.

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/26/13 11:13 PM

Quote:

8k$ in a Jr/D ? .... how many races was that? Losing that kind of money ? .... why did you do it then ? ...why not just race dirt bikes for grins on a local basis?

Me ? .... I raced at local tracks up in MI(with a 13-flat drive-out car in the slower bracket) ... from the late 70's to the early 90's .... and I always MADE MONEY ... but not like if I had put the time and effort into my fiberglass biz.

We ran 22 race weekends last year...the 8k was money from 11 of those... Why did I do it?....I'm a drag racer...he's a drag racer....and we spent lots of family time together doing it. This year we are chasing points at 3 different tracks....chasing NHRA Div7 points...and will be hitting races in Texas...Colorado...South Dakota and Memphis. I'd be willing to bet not many on this site "make" anything racing....especially traveling and racing...We've towed 11 hours to Las Vegas just for a trophy class. These are our family vacations......it's all in priorities.
Posted By: 23T Hemmee

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/26/13 11:30 PM

Chassisman gets it!!!

The problem with the Nostalgia Funny Cars anymore is most of the guys that build them think that just because there might be a little pop in the tank, they automatically think they are "Jungle Jim" and people are fighting each other for a spot on the fence to watch them. Those days are long gone and if you think a track operator is going to pay you and someone else to match race, you better prove that you can put a whole lot of butts in the seats to make it worth their time and effort to promote you. Otherwise, this is just an expensive, extravagant hobby for all of us, and each of us has to decide how much the enjoyment of doing what we do is worth to us.

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/26/13 11:35 PM

It all boils down to ...each to his own ! .... but for me ... I don't enjoy drag-racing enuff to do it on a negative-cash-flow way.

This combo I am thinking about for me .... put maybe 20k$ into it ... and then just pay entry fees and add gas .... or maybe E85. Do I expect a hefty ROI ? ... no.

I would be satisfied with a break-even .... for awhile.

Just my

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/26/13 11:38 PM

Chassisman, I wish you were my dad!

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/26/13 11:41 PM

Wait a minute ... I got dibs on Cm ... maybe he will sponsor my roadster !

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/26/13 11:47 PM

Quote:

No, I'm closer and him and I already have (long, cool, crazy story with a sad ending to be told another day) a doggy connection.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/27/13 12:00 AM

'glass man, show up to any drag race and you can count the number of racers that broke even or made money on one hand. I'd guess most times the answer is none.
They are the ones that run a cheap car that doesn't consume much besides gas, and they won without buy-backs and live a short distance away.
Stepping up, traveling further or going out before the final pretty much means you are bleeding money. Some a LOT faster than others.

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/27/13 12:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No, I'm closer and him and I already have (long, cool, crazy story with a sad ending to be told another day) a doggy connection.

Brad....you've seen pics of my humble abode...my basic plain kitchen..and my meager exsistance...my old broke down crappy vehicles.. You sure you want any part of this?...

RIP Nitro.....best dog I've ever owned......I'd never trade those 11 months for anything.

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/27/13 12:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Brad....you've seen pics of my humble abode...my basic plain kitchen..and my meager exsistance...my old broke down crappy vehicles.. You sure you want any part of this?...

RIP Nitro.....best dog I've ever owned......I'd never trade those 11 months for anything.

You're doing better than I am! LOL I was so saddened to hear about Nitro as I was totally looking forward to reuniting him and his mom. He was a gorgeous pup!

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/27/13 12:55 AM

Quote:

'glass man, show up to any drag race and you can count the number of racers that broke even or made money on one hand. I'd guess most times the answer is none.
They are the ones that run a cheap car that doesn't consume much besides gas, and they won without buy-backs and live a short distance away.
Stepping up, traveling further or going out before the final pretty much means you are bleeding money. Some a LOT faster than others.

Hay RODster .... I hear-you on most people not being in-the-black on a race-car operation .... but again ... those people must enjoy that racing more than I to be in-the-red all the time.

It has been a while ... but I used to talk to many racers every day(and several of their signif-others) ....and I remember many conversations with same ....who were complaining about how much money their hubbies were spending on their cars ....

Me ? ... if I wanted to do-it just for grins or just the thrill of speed ....I would just KEEP that front-engine-dragster I had and REALLY do-it on-the-cheap. HELL ... you can push that FED with your little finger !
Posted By: Slingshot383

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/27/13 06:12 PM

If you want to run fast with a nostalgia style car, think about IHRA's 7.00 Pro. Index racing, no electronics except a tranny brake, shifting by driver control, not rpm or time. Little bit of everything in the class, and some good racers having fun at 180 mph.

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/27/13 07:14 PM

Quote:

If you want to run fast with a nostalgia style car, think about IHRA's 7.00 Pro. Index racing, no electronics except a tranny brake, shifting by driver control, not rpm or time. Little bit of everything in the class, and some good racers having fun at 180 mph.

NHRA also run PRO 7.0 in the Heritage series....
Posted By: Lil Demon

Re: ANYone know anything about nostalgia funny cars ? - 02/28/13 07:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

NHRA also run PRO 7.0 in the Heritage series....

Yip. And NE1 in Heritage as well. Also, there is a group looking to put together a more restrictive and thus more affordable nostalgia nitro F/C class running I think 6.80 index. Again - that's going to be very pricey and if making money is your goal - I would say pass. But if having fun and making a thunderous run with flames out of the pipes and people cheering you on - then go for it.

Make no mistake, my all time favorite class is nitro F/C - I grew up on it in the hey day at OCIR. The March Meet is my favorite event of the year. And if I had the financial and logistical resources to run a nitro nostalgia F/C I wouldn't hesitate (hint - it would be a Demon and look just like my car below). But, I would be doing it more for the fun knowing it would lose money.

Like was said years ago, "The best way to make a small fortune in drag racing is to start with a large one."
© 2024 Moparts Forums