Moparts

ALL MOPAR EVENT

Posted By: CALSDART

ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/13/13 06:25 PM

WHAT WILL ATTRACT/INTEREST YOU TO ATTEND AN ALL MOPAR EVENT AND HOW FAR WILL YOU TRAVEL?
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/13/13 08:55 PM

This should be good

Here is a few things that I look for

1. Nicer the track and facility the better

2. camping and showers available

3. Big pay outs with small entry fees

4. Live bands and BBQ's are nice.

5. gambler races ( 20.00 entry) , 10.00 index race ( 20.00 entry) with plenty of time trials

6. No more than a 8 hr tow ( from Columbus Ohio )

Oh and on the facility, electric hook ups are a big plus.

everyone likes to race in " good air " so spring or fall is the best time of year. I am getting to old to get in a car with the windows rolled up when its 95* in the shade.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/13/13 09:10 PM

A heads up street legal class.
Posted By: Moparmick

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/14/13 03:43 AM

A true footbrake bracket,3-400 miles, Decent payout to entry ratio, good track prep
Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/14/13 03:58 AM

Quote:

WHAT WILL ATTRACT/INTEREST YOU TO ATTEND AN ALL MOPAR EVENT AND HOW FAR WILL YOU TRAVEL?

There are plenty of Mopar races in every state at the present time. So Calvin, are you planning to get your feet wet as a promoter and shell out some big bucks and hope that every one has that weekend set aside for your race? It's rough out there, and not everyone can get that special track with all the luxurys. Honestly, I think a cable hookup in every pit area for the racing action on the track would be great . Just kidding.
Posted By: 383man

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/14/13 04:33 AM

The usual for me. Got to have drag racing and I like show cars there also as I enjoy looking at the restored Mopar show cars also. I prefer to take my car and race it when I can afford it. But thats my biggest problem the last few years is cash is tight since I am on disability and have to be careful how much I can spend. Otherwise I would go to alot more Mopar races and shows as long as my health is up to it. Ron
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/14/13 08:25 AM

I like all Rick's answers to the question and agree with them.
David
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/14/13 08:45 AM

Follow the formula that Josh King uses for Monster Mopar.over 450 race cars attended the Indy event. great vendor section and him being a racer does not hurt. We towed over 13 hours to attend the last two.
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/14/13 01:51 PM

if we are talking about an event in the south..
My suggestion is to do something earlier than memorial day...thats the switch day when weather gets too hot..
first of may is the deal...usually chamber of commerce weather..
plus the northerners with cabin fever can have an excuse to run south of the mason dixon.
having an even in july in the south is rediculous thats usually when i head north for cooler weather
fwiw..
has to have racing. a band is a great idea ..
give me a reason to hang out after the races and catch up with old friends... when the hot sun isnt beating on your head...
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/15/13 05:28 AM

Has to be more than one day with plenty of reasonably priced lodging in the area.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/15/13 05:49 AM

Quote:

This should be good

Here is a few things that I look for

1. Nicer the track and facility the better

2. camping and showers available

3. Big pay outs with small entry fees

4. Live bands and BBQ's are nice.

5. gambler races ( 20.00 entry) , 10.00 index race ( 20.00 entry) with plenty of time trials

6. No more than a 8 hr tow ( from Columbus Ohio )

Oh and on the facility, electric hook ups are a big plus.

everyone likes to race in " good air " so spring or fall is the best time of year. I am getting to old to get in a car with the windows rolled up when its 95* in the shade.

All the above PLUS it has to be a MULTI day event
Friday, Sat, Sun... and possible to get in Thurs
Posted By: RonTheAnnouncer

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/15/13 07:00 PM

Make sure that you have your track owner/manager/promoter on board with whatever you are doing. I like to see guaranteed purses and payout to at least 16 cars.
Are you looking at doing a race in NC? I'm announcing 3 races at Coastal Plains, Fayetteville, and Piedmont this year.
Posted By: 47hudson

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/16/13 05:38 PM

Biggest thing for us is 1/4 mile racing! I can race 1/8th at home but if I can run a 1/4 I'll spend the money to travel.
Posted By: dynamite

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/16/13 10:54 PM

Mix all that in and throw in a swap meet and you got a winner

Attached picture 7590837-082.JPG
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/16/13 11:10 PM

Quote:

And a wet tee shirt contest. I'll be there.
Posted By: RonTheAnnouncer

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/17/13 03:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I think I speak for all when I say that I don't think anyone wants to see you in a wet t shirt...
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/17/13 03:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think I speak for all when I say that I don't think anyone wants to see you in a wet t shirt...

Come on Ron. You have something against seeing an old, balding on top but hair everywhere else, short, fat guy in a wet tee shirt. I'm shocked and hurt at the same time.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/17/13 04:52 PM

Rick covered it pretty good, so some of mine are the same:

1. Nicer the track and facility the better. Gravel sticks to slicks, and mud is bad
2. Camping and showers available
3. 75-80 Percent total purse payout of entry fees
4. Multiday event. Sat-Sun with an extra race and test on Fri, parking Thurs evening (5pm-12pm ?)
5. More than 2 classes. Such as Electronics, No Box, Footbrake, Sportsman (not ET defined but equipment, maybe an index or two (no electronics whatsoever).
6. Distance depends on gasoline costs, and that is very high right now.
Posted By: poboyengineering

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/17/13 05:34 PM

the weather is the factor that will make or break it. all the suggestions seem to cover the basics, but carlysle and the nats are ovens. i describe them as 'miserable fun.' a kickoff event in the spring, or a two show deal with a closeout in the fall too. maybe have a bonus for the best finisher who attends both races?
Posted By: BM70Dart

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/17/13 06:27 PM

I would like to see something thats just about bracket racing or index racing
Posted By: Chad Bittle

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/17/13 06:38 PM

Just don't lie to us about payouts and how the race will be operated. Don't call a rain out in the middle of the evening when 85%+ of the racers are stayin' there the entire weekend anyway. Making passes is always nice, but so is watching some Mopar Heads-up racing since I can't afford to do it. It sucks to pay hundreds of dollars to sit all weekend, makes me wanna go circle track racing.
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/17/13 07:38 PM

Moparts at the Strip in March in Vegas meets all your criteria.... and yet each year it gets smaller and smaller...

I dont get it..

Posted By: cgall

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/17/13 08:19 PM

As of right now gas prices are over 3.80 and it is too early for the summer prices yet. We saw in 2008 that when prices approached 4.00, people travelled far fewer miles than average.

If you want racers to travel, then you better have something special to offer, as well as good weather. Monster Mopar has traditionally paid out a higher purse than CC or Mo-Power, making it popular. CC races at NTR and Summit have always been well-attended due to a strong local base of Mopar racers. Some of the other venues that offer $1000 to win for $75 entry are not going to draw any travellers.

If you have a good local base to work from, and you get lucky with the weather, you might do alright.
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/18/13 02:46 AM

subscibing
Posted By: Dago Red

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/18/13 07:25 AM

Quote:

Moparts at the Strip in March in Vegas meets all your criteria.... and yet each year it gets smaller and smaller...

I dont get it..

For me it's easy to understand: When I purchased my Dually in 2002 diesel was 10 cents less than regular. Now it's 20 cents MORE than super. Like a 70 cent swing. Used to you'd hit the swap meet and pick up good used parts for 50 cents on the dollar. Now people want retail/new for debris they've dug up out of their yard.

And lastly, the racers themselves are their own worst enemies. The two I've had to deal with are the ones who think the rules should apply to everyone but them, they somehow believe themselves to be "special" and because we're "buddies" I should feel bad for saying no. My grandkids don't pout as good.

Try and organize a race and have racers tell you, more than once "OH, YOU BET! I'LL BE THERE WITH ALL MY CARS!"
Went to a track manager once with a promise of between 25-30 cars. And had 6 show up. No "I broke it" "I'm sick" "conflict" "lost me mojo" NOTHING. It's a wonder some track owners get pissy.

No help me off my high horse, my back hurts...............

Attached picture 7593059-LittleBeach.jpg
Posted By: hemiparts

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/18/13 09:03 PM

from someone who has experience from all 3 sides of an event i got a few suggestions that will go a long way 1) seperate the the car show on a year break reason: if you tell a guy with a restored B-Body he just lost best of show to an show room fresh 2013 Challenger it won't end well.
2) contact the vendors and invite them to your event and make them a deal on bigger spaces. reason: Don't think that they will show up just because you open the gate. 3) make the racing exciting. Don't just run the plan old Pro/ footbrake/ street classes come up with something new and fresh. I wish someone could procure a sponsor big enough to put put on a "Monster Mopar" type event @ Z-Max here in NC. The facilty is second to none and there is enough stuff nearby to keep everyone happy for days.

Chris
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: ALL MOPAR EVENT - 02/18/13 11:48 PM

Quote:

from someone who has experience from all 3 sides of an event i got a few suggestions that will go a long way 1) seperate the the car show on a year break reason: if you tell a guy with a restored B-Body he just lost best of show to an show room fresh 2013 Challenger it won't end well.
2) contact the vendors and invite them to your event and make them a deal on bigger spaces. reason: Don't think that they will show up just because you open the gate. 3) make the racing exciting. Don't just run the plan old Pro/ footbrake/ street classes come up with something new and fresh. I wish someone could procure a sponsor big enough to put put on a "Monster Mopar" type event @ Z-Max here in NC. The facilty is second to none and there is enough stuff nearby to keep everyone happy for days.

Chris

I totally agree, thats why i said nicer the facility the better.

A trip to ZMAX or Bristol I have mentioned many times in the past is on my bucket list.

The Bristol deal is on labor day wnknd which is a bad wknd in my book.
© 2024 Moparts Forums