Moparts

out with old headers welding new,pics

Posted By: Clanton

out with old headers welding new,pics - 02/11/13 03:10 AM

and soon to be fender exit.I think life will be so much better working on things from re torquing the heads to starter.I have a ton of room on the side of the engine now also and the trans to get at the linkage,lines.I used my under chassis headers for 23 yrs[same set!]I reconnected with the welder[Larry Sakura] of my roll cage from 14 yrs ago who will weld my headers after i tack them together.The header kit is a Hedman 2.1/4".Anyways I just wanted to say how glad I am to not deal with the chassis header anymore.

Attached picture 7583629-trshrtlow.jpg

Re: out with old headers - 02/11/13 03:14 AM

other side.

Attached picture 7583633-trshdslow.jpg
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: out with old headers - 02/11/13 03:20 AM

I hear ya on the room available w/fenderwell`s but I`ve also heard they rob a good amount of power compared to a standard header................... Either way, guess you could just turn up the boost...........

Re: out with old headers - 02/11/13 03:34 AM

You say they rob power? too small of a header would also and is what i had.

Attached picture 7583670-mockup1.jpg

Re: out with old headers - 02/11/13 05:03 PM

Quote:

You say they rob power? too small of a header would also and is what i had.

Maybe in your case it`s better can`t say for sure...............

Re: out with old headers - 02/11/13 06:19 PM

I am not talking about zoomies but I will have a collector on the ends.
like these but they are not mine.

Attached picture 7584277-59b6949d.jpg

Re: out with old headers - 02/11/13 06:29 PM

NICE.............I would think you`d be fine.
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: out with old headers - 02/11/13 07:01 PM

Quote:

I hear ya on the room available w/fenderwell`s but I`ve also heard they rob a good amount of power compared to a standard header................... Either way, guess you could just turn up the boost...........

i suspect you might have been confused by those who say that hookers abody fenderwell headers cost them some power by having to long primarys,fenderwell headers are usualy alitle better since most of the time they can be made with bigger radius bends and less bends aswell compared to underchassies headers not always but usualy

Re: out with old headers - 02/11/13 07:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

i suspect you might have been confused by those who say that hookers abody fenderwell headers cost them some power by having to long primarys,fenderwell headers are usualy alitle better since most of the time they can be made with bigger radius bends and less bends aswell compared to underchassies headers not always but usualy

Not confused just expressing what 440 Jim posted w/dyno results showing that there are better headers as far as power out there.............
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: out with old headers - 02/11/13 07:12 PM

I've used both types and sizes of headers on a engine dyno test, first set was a set of Hooker 1 7/8 fenderwells with 42 inch long primarys and 3.5 collectors, the second set was a custom set made by the dyno operator which ended up with 2 1/4 inch priamrys 25 inches long with a four inch collector. The motor was a 426 C.I. 9.5 to 1 compression ratio Max Wedge pump gas motor, the bigger pipes made more HP and torque from 4000 RPM up On your deal the bigger pipes will really help The first blower motor I assembled and dyno tested was a all aluminum KB 499 C.I. street Hemi with a 10.71 BDS blower and Fel Pro EFI, the headers where custom made for the car with 2 1/4 primarys, four inch collectrs and a full four inch exhaust with a H pipe and s set of Flow Masters on it That motor made 1300 +HP at 7300 RPM on the dyno Your pipes have some room to allow engine power growth
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: out with old headers - 02/11/13 08:25 PM

I have picked up about .2 in the 1/8 so far with the headers posted above. That's over the hooker supercomps. Went from mid 6.teens to low 5.90's in the 1/8. Picked up a couple MPH as well. There not equal length and are 2&1/4 tubes. That's the last thing I have touched on the Valiant. Now I just race it!
I have another cam that's always a tenth faster then what's in it but have not stuck it in. I know it has a low 5.80 in it as it sits. All because of those headers.

Re: out with old headers - 02/11/13 08:38 PM

Thanks for the input.I did pick the 2 1/4 pipe so I have room to grow.I mocked the heads,intake to motivate me some.

Attached picture 7584464-teasepic.jpg

Re: out with old headers - 02/11/13 08:43 PM

I made a rough template to guess at the fender hole,size.

Attached picture 7584467-headertemplate.jpg
Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Re: out with old headers - 02/11/13 09:41 PM

"I have picked up about .2 in the 1/8 so far with the headers posted above. That's over the hooker supercomps"

Fastmop what size were those Supercomps?

Thanks Mike

Re: out with old headers - 02/11/13 10:44 PM

Two inch with a three & 1/2 inch collectors. I think I measured 2x45x3.5 on the longest
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: out with old headers - 02/12/13 06:19 AM

Quote:

I've used both types and sizes of headers on a engine dyno test, first set was a set of Hooker 1 7/8 fenderwells with 42 inch long primarys and 3.5 collectors, the second set was a custom set made by the dyno operator which ended up with 2 1/4 inch priamrys 25 inches long with a four inch collector. The motor was a 426 C.I. 9.5 to 1 compression ratio Max Wedge pump gas motor, the bigger pipes made more HP and torque from 4000 RPM up On your deal the bigger pipes will really help The first blower motor I assembled and dyno tested was a all aluminum KB 499 C.I. street Hemi with a 10.71 BDS blower and Fel Pro EFI, the headers where custom made for the car with 2 1/4 primarys, four inch collectrs and a full four inch exhaust with a H pipe and s set of Flow Masters on it That motor made 1300 +HP at 7300 RPM on the dyno Your pipes have some room to allow engine power growth

Cab,what boost level with the 1071??

Re: out with old headers - 02/12/13 08:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Cab,what boost level with the 1071??

I'm not sure what the boost levels ended up being with the new blower and Motech EFI, I was pulled off that project when it had a bad BDS blower and the Fel Pro EFI. That combination made 960 HP at 6500 RPM with 17 lbs of boost, we where not trying to make the most power then so we stop the pulls at 6500. There was issues with the EFI and the blowers not repeating from one run to another run BDS= Bad dang stuff

Re: out with old headers - 02/13/13 11:09 PM

Just picked up this stuff from my powder coat guy. He put the 2000* stuff on them cause they might get hot. I'll be testing them out real soon.
Post some progress pics as he gets them done.

Re: out with old headers - 02/14/13 12:04 AM

That looks nice! I just got my header kit today so I will be making some slow progress with that.

Attached picture 7587226-headerkitarived.jpg

Re: out with old headers - 02/14/13 02:54 AM

Your car is going to pick up big numbers

Re: out with old headers - 02/14/13 04:33 AM

Quote:

Your car is going to pick up big numbers

about 200HP guessing on the lite side.

Re: out with old headers - 02/14/13 05:19 AM

I would like the flange to be higher but I dont know if it would help the port flow better.

Re: out with old headers - 02/14/13 08:25 AM

Quote:

I would like the flange to be higher but I dont know if it would help the port flow better.

flip it over to see if that raises them If not don't hesitate to use a die grinder to open them up a little, AKA D port them a tiny bit

Re: out with old headers - 02/14/13 03:05 PM

Ya the first thing I did was flip them.I was thinking moving the bolt hole down to raise the tubes.
edit:I use a scrap pipe to practice and it is not that hard to hammer form to a square so I will index the center top of the pipe and give it a try.
edit:here is how the pipes will go but the center pipe will loop over and down into the fender.

Attached picture 7587878-pipetestheader.jpg

Re: out with old headers - 02/19/13 01:24 AM

I know this is not much but I did make a little progress.I have to get this together to figure the #7 for going over the steering column so they all lign up going through the fender.

Attached picture 7593995-headerassynew.jpg

Re: out with old headers - 02/19/13 01:27 AM

I need to stub the 3/5 pipe after the bend over #1 to loop it down into the fender.

Attached picture 7593997-headerassyloose.jpg

Re: out with old headers - 02/19/13 07:00 PM

Looks like you are moving along. Did you see my home made clamps I made to hold the tubes together so you can tack weld them. It's just some scrap aluminum and hose clamps but works great.
It gets real tight on the passenger side by the shock tower. That's where I had the most trouble.
Posted By: earthmover

Re: out with old headers - 02/19/13 07:27 PM

whos kit is that????

Re: out with old headers - 02/19/13 09:35 PM

Thanks guys!The kit is a heddman but for a roadster,I got it just to get started.
Fastmop I will look at yours again for the clamp bands that will be helpfull at this point with checking the exit angle through the fender and past the wheel.I just opened up a hole for the pipes to come through.I see those clamps I have a couple small pieces of exh I was going to split and do the same thing.

Re: out with old headers - 02/19/13 09:50 PM

I am going to have to mock up 4 tubes in the collector to check things out better[exit angle,fit.]

Attached picture 7595078-fenderexitcollector.jpg

Re: out with old headers - 02/19/13 10:05 PM

The tires on the ground and I turned the wheel all the way to check where the tire would be.I will have to add some room for suspension travel.
add on edit:

Attached picture 7595096-wheelwell.jpg

Re: out with old headers - 02/20/13 12:26 AM

this is the #1 pipe testing for length,angle of exit.

Attached picture 7595285-testpipeexitlength.jpg

Re: out with old headers - 02/26/13 06:20 PM

I am thinking of vee banding the #7 header tube to make the headers removable to get past the brake MC and equal length.your thaughts?

Re: out with old headers - 02/28/13 05:09 AM

I think I made some progress in the puzzle.

Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: out with old headers - 02/28/13 11:07 AM

Quote:

I am thinking of vee banding the #7 header tube to make the headers removable to get past the brake MC and equal length.your thaughts?

equal lengths are not allimportant on a blown engine but if you are anyway taking the time,you might aswell go for it!
Vband joints are good when you need a split somewhere however fairly expensive,you could make the joint with flatflanges aswell or a sliptube or you could even if room and angles alow for it use flanges on a sliptube with a regual flatgasket the last version might be overkill but make for a superb seal at a much lower price than the vbands.

looks good this far
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: out with old headers - 02/28/13 02:09 PM

Quote:

I think I made some progress in the puzzle.

Mike I think your cheating yourself on much needed room with the routing of the #1 tube.
If you brought it "up and over" the shock stud you wouldn't be so tight with tubes #3 & #5.

Not being critical just trying to lend an extra eye

Re: out with old headers - 02/28/13 03:07 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!The options you listed are very helpfull for the #7 pipe and taking my time on my choices is just my way of learning in the process so I hope you will be patient.Greg the #1 pipe would actualy be longer I believe going over the shock but not by much and is an option but I figured I would try another way to be sure what I wanted to do. I may make the slip joint at the collector to help with taking it all out from time to time but I think that will be the last adjustment to the system that I do.I am going to work on the 5,7 pipe this wk now that I have run some pipe out the fender.
edit:here is a better pic of how they come togather.

Re: out with old headers - 02/28/13 11:16 PM

I am trying!

Posted By: modelmakerinc

Re: out with old headers - 02/28/13 11:40 PM

I am sure that is a miserable job, trying to fit all of that in such little space. hats off to you.

I dont know what the other specs are of your engine but it doesnt look like you will be able to remove the valve covers without removing the exhaust. That would really suck when you need to adjust the valves and I dont see how you will access the plugs either.

not trying to but I have considered building headers and never grown the cojones

Re: out with old headers - 03/01/13 12:43 AM

I made sure I can remove the valve covers.That #5 pipe will be away from the covers more when done.
Posted By: Dartin

Re: out with old headers - 03/01/13 01:30 AM

It sure isn't a walk in the park, is it? Sure seems like no matter what you do, there are either compromises in performance, spark plug clearance, etc.. I am fortunate to have a good friend that has both the skills and patience (thanks Sean). Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming! Here is some inspiration...

Randy

Attached picture 7607573-left.jpg

Re: out with old headers - 03/01/13 02:25 AM

Thanks,your #7 is what mine will do but mine goes between the 3/5 loop[I hope!]

Re: out with old headers - 03/07/13 02:00 AM

I started tacking pipe togather.I cut the flange to help remove them.

exit

Re: out with old headers - 03/09/13 12:25 AM

I started on the pass side even though I have to do 5,7 pipe yet.

Attached picture 7618674-passheader246fittop.jpg

Re: out with old headers - 03/09/13 12:26 AM

frt view,I left room to adjust the angle some on all pipes.

Attached picture 7618676-paside4fitfrt.jpg
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: out with old headers - 03/09/13 02:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

equal lengths are not allimportant on a blown engine but if you are anyway taking the time,you might aswell go for it!
Vband joints are good when you need a split somewhere however fairly expensive,you could make the joint with flatflanges aswell or a sliptube or you could even if room and angles alow for it use flanges on a sliptube with a regual flatgasket the last version might be overkill but make for a superb seal at a much lower price than the vbands.

looks good this far

Correct... lengths dont matter on a blower motor...
doesnt do anything... just get the exhaust out...
if you didnt need to cap it or connect exhaust to
the collector, you wouldnt need the collectors

Re: out with old headers - 03/09/13 02:48 PM

Thank for your input,Have you ever use the Vee band on a single tube?
also I would ask if you get the time,
how much argon/co2 is used when back gas prosess is done when welding?
How much flow should there be inside the tube?
Do you have a pic of a back gas connection in use?
THX

Re: out with old headers - 03/13/13 12:24 AM

I know you are tired of me posting pics!I am having SOO much fun I decided to get another set of flanges to make some zoomies or at least all unequal length tubes so I wont bvee near the master cylinder.

Attached picture 7623640-header7fitto1.jpg

Re: out with old headers - 03/13/13 12:47 AM

Quote:

Thank for your input,Have you ever use the Vee band on a single tube?
also I would ask if you get the time,
how much argon/co2 is used when back gas prosess is done when welding?
How much flow should there be inside the tube?
Do you have a pic of a back gas connection in use?
THX

Yes I have used a V-band before on a pipe.. I liked
it better than a slip joint... on the back flowing
I use about 50% more than for the welding cup...
on my flow meter I weld at 20-22 back flow is 30...
just use a rubber cork at one end and another rubber
cork at the other but I have a 1/8" pipe nipple stuck
through it... clamp the gas hose to it... make sure
you shut the gas off when you finish the weld...
when I get to about 1/4" of weld left to do at each
joint I shut the gas off(there is plenty in there)
and it wont blow a hole

Re: out with old headers - 03/13/13 01:06 AM

Thanks,will the internal psi blow the weld out?

Re: out with old headers - 03/13/13 01:30 AM

Quote:

Thanks,will the internal psi blow the weld out?

It can.. thats why I turn it off or the last 1/4"

Re: out with old headers - 03/13/13 01:39 AM

You have been very helpfull!THX!I don't have any gauges to adjust the flow but will put a valve in a tee to go to the pipe.I can not adjust the #7/8 pipe length with the room I have but I had fun trying but I will finish the build and then do the zoomies.

Re: out with old headers - 03/13/13 03:52 AM

Use very little flow of your argon... it doesnt take much
(not pressure)
Posted By: 1974PW

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 03/13/13 04:35 AM

i back perged my headers when i built them. the welds look the same inside as they do on the out side. wish i could have done all mine equal length but i had alot of stuff to go around so geting the pipes from point a to b was more importaint

Attached picture 7624025-mo.jpg

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 03/13/13 01:17 PM

Quote:

i back perged my headers when i built them. the welds look the same inside as they do on the out side. wish i could have done all mine equal length but i had alot of stuff to go around so geting the pipes from point a to b was more importaint

The driver side is the problem area with the MC in the way and I was not going to move it.
Mr P body thx I figured just to get some flow in there but I was limited on tools.[flow gauges]
PS:1974pw I see you retained the round tube form on the header flange so did you make the flanges?if not what is the part #thx.
Posted By: 1974PW

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 03/13/13 01:33 PM

i had a good friend make me those. he has a cnc in his shop and made it match my head and go to the round tube all with in the thinkness of the flange

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 03/13/13 02:55 PM

Quote:

i had a good friend make me those. he has a cnc in his shop and made it match my head and go to the round tube all with in the thinkness of the flange

Cool that you were able to do that,there are many ways to do things but few have the resources.
This is going to be interesting trying to make my 1st collectors.

This is just a test weld mockup.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 03/17/13 10:35 PM

I made some slip tubes with a pipe expander in a press.

Posted By: Bill MeLater

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 03/19/13 06:54 PM

I've heard it's best to rout 'em like this.
Posted By: Bill MeLater

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 03/19/13 07:06 PM

Ooops...

Attached picture 7632293-100_8343.JPG

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 03/19/13 10:38 PM

here is where i am at.I will bring them up a bunch
Posted By: 65_gt_rag_402

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 03/21/13 01:51 AM

question ... where did you purchase a pipe expander that didn't break?
I have purchased three of them already and all threr Broke.. of course they were made in china .

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 03/21/13 01:57 AM

I got the tool from Oreillys auto parts about 60$ #67097 Evertough brand.
They rent it also for free if returned in 2 days or call for longer no charge.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/17/13 10:42 PM

Well I got 1 side welded anyways.The welder did a good job but I can NOT afford him to finish.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/18/13 12:36 AM

And people wonder why it costs what it costs to have headers built.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/18/13 01:05 AM

Curious what was the purpose of this exercise again? Fenderwell headers on a B-body? WTF?

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/18/13 01:20 AM

Looks good! If u lived closer I'd weld them for beer lol. I'd prolly want to drive the car after I was done too lol so it might be cheeper for the other guy to finish.

Hard to find 2&1/4 primary's that are not a PITA

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/18/13 01:32 AM

Quote:

Curious what was the purpose of this exercise again? Fenderwell headers on a B-body? WTF?

To me it is better than cutting out the whole inner fender and because I wanted to.As for the cost I figured 43$ per weld was out of controle when all he had to do was weld,I made everything.
Posted By: prochargedhemi

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/18/13 01:48 AM

Quote:

As for the cost I figured 43$ per weld was out of controle when all he had to do was weld,I made everything.

WOW, I hope you got a kiss with that

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/18/13 02:22 AM

Quote:

As for the cost I figured 43$ per weld was out of controle when all he had to do was weld,I made everything.

12 welds x 43.00 = $516.00 to weld one side Didn't you get a price first

I'd tell him to un-weld them and give my money back

Should have called me or something, I have buddy's that will do a nice job on the whole set for 1/2 that I'd guess
or maybe they just know I'm poor and cheap

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/18/13 02:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Should have called me or something, I have buddy's that will do a nice job on the whole set for 1/2 that I'd guess

Actualy it was 16 welds and my cost was 675$ total,there was 3 welds done on the other side he started. and OH he said it took him 15hrs to do it.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/18/13 03:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Actualy it was 16 welds and my cost was 675$ total,there was 3 welds done on the other side he started. and OH he said it took him 15hrs to do it.

Sounds like he is still learning to weld if it took him 15 hours

That's $45.00/hour to learn
Where do I sign up for that gig

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/18/13 03:14 AM

get in line. I got a ph# of a welder in akron,Mike Martin I got from a long time friend who has a history with him welding.For now I am going to make progress with the engine by putting on the heads and build on that.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/18/13 04:17 PM

I have a place to take them in Akron so on to the next step,march on.They will be done next wk.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/18/13 04:50 PM

Wow... I do a lot of welding for buddies... that stuff
to me is a freebie.. my one buddy that I do some welding
for helped me build my shop... there wasnt any questions
asked ... he offers money and I tell him... thats
what friends are for... what goes around comes around

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/18/13 06:34 PM

Quote:

Wow... I do a lot of welding for buddies... that stuff
to me is a freebie.. my one buddy that I do some welding
for helped me build my shop... there wasnt any questions
asked ... he offers money and I tell him... thats
what friends are for... what goes around comes around

Copy that Mr P Body!I won't be sending work his way from anyone.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/18/13 11:45 PM

even tho my 63 Dodge doesn't have it's inner fender wells, the Doug's fender well exit headers were designed to fit within...I don't know if any of my pictures will help you, but heres another approach.

Posted By: Polarapete

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/19/13 08:43 PM

I really appreciate seeing the pictures that you have provided of your '63. I am building a Ramcharger 2WD with a 440 for Bracket Racing. I have a set of small tube headers that I will run to start with and I have a u-weld kit of Hedman Husler 2" pipe that I will graduate to. I am building a truck because of my physical limitations and the fact that I won't have to deal with torsion bars like I did in the '68 Coronet. The truck floor pan also makes it easy to install a transmission blanket.
Posted By: deaks

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/19/13 09:15 PM

I'm sorry to hear you got stung Mike, you deserve better. Good luck with the rest of your project.
Mick

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/20/13 03:21 AM

Quote:

I'm sorry to hear you got stung Mike, you deserve better. Good luck with the rest of your project.
Mick

Thank You!I did not loose my time invested in the header and what I made to this point so it is not a total loss.I am confident the new welder will take care of me.
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/20/13 04:11 AM

Mike, call me tomorrow.. We'll take it to my brothers shop. Seriously. Plus, make sure those things are kind to the plug wire guy. He wants to build you a badass set of wires.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/20/13 02:52 PM

Thanks!

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/24/13 10:02 PM

Thanks to Rick Gorsky[firecore50]I got my header welded at his brothers shop in North Ridgeville ,O 440-731-8464
at 1/4 the cost [under 150$] that [Larry Sakora,Avon,O] did on the passenger side.Now I can get started on the collectors and forget about it.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/24/13 11:29 PM

I had some slip tube to test fit angles,length to the collector pipe.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/25/13 12:22 AM

Here is a top view of the finished pipes,sorry I did not add this allready.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/27/13 02:03 AM

This is the best I can do for now on the driver side.Yes I will turn the evac tube to another side.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/27/13 02:36 AM

Your real close to the master... you'll need a shield

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/27/13 02:45 AM

Quote:

Your real close to the master... you'll need a shield

Thanks I have some ceramic pad 1" thick to go around it and will shield the tubes after I run them.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/28/13 01:12 AM

Ok on the home stretch I need to fit the star between the pipes and I have the pipes tacked together.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 04/28/13 09:06 PM

just wanted to show you I got 1 side done.I will give you a break while I have a lot to do on the passenger side.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 05/10/13 05:15 PM

I am working on the last 2 pipes going to the collector and they will be done for the most part but here is an engine shot update.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 05/10/13 05:18 PM

final pipes
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 05/10/13 09:36 PM

Thanks for the info on Larry - That pricing seems crazy for welds that can be done on a bench. Not what I would expect to pay for sure.

I used to see him at Chuck Finders shop on occasion ( I went to school with Chucks son)

For those that don't know Sikora Bros Chassis and Lakewood Chassis built many legendary cars in there day but geeze I would think that was a cake job for him ?

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 05/10/13 10:27 PM

I am sure it was an easy job for him but he took advantage of my trust.RIP Chuck Finders.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 05/11/13 03:46 AM

Who did the welds on the tubes?

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 05/11/13 12:47 PM

Quote:

Who did the welds on the tubes?

I have Aerowave in north ridgeville 37190 sugar ridge rd 440-731-8464 finish the short tubes and I did the collectors and you can tell who did what.lol.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 05/14/13 09:09 PM

Finishing up the passenger side.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 05/14/13 09:30 PM

With all the horsepower from that supercharged big block and the exhaust pointing to the ground like that how are you going to keep the front tires on the ground?

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 05/14/13 09:34 PM

Quote:

Finishing up the passenger side.

How much space to the tire... have you turned the tire yet..
but that looks close... and are you dumping the collector
like you show it.... might give you some lift... LOL

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 05/14/13 11:02 PM

The extra weight of the blower and all keeps it down but I am going to use a turnout on them and cut them shorter.The tires have 1" from the pipe thru the susp travel cept on the dr side on full turn left it just touches but may not in a turn with the car leaning depending on speed.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 05/14/13 11:11 PM

I am finishing them on the bench.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 05/15/13 03:19 PM

My hat's off to you for the effort, looks like alot of work.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 05/15/13 04:38 PM

Quote:

My hat's off to you for the effort, looks like alot of work.

Thanks!I did it for the love of doing it and yes to save $$.I am broke thru next month but the car will be running in a week or 2.Thanks all for sticking with me thru this.I can now start thinking about the hp gains of the new heads and getting out and enjoying it.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 05/15/13 06:38 PM

It's all down hill from there! Congrats on a good looking set of headers! You should see a big improvement.
Make sure you get some video of the 1st pass

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 05/15/13 07:23 PM

I will take video forsure! The powe gains I am hoping for 200+ more hp.
Posted By: Cheatham

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 05/16/13 04:49 AM

That is a nice job on them headers

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 05/16/13 12:59 PM

Quote:

Thank you Very Much!
I finished the last tube so for now I am done untel she is running,retorque the heads and will cut the collector for a turnout.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 05/16/13 03:16 PM

Quote:

My uncle lived in Texas "Marshal Clanton"

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 08/12/13 10:07 PM

I am making the turnout finely.I have to patch in part of the elbow but it was just way too close to the ground and if any liquid came out it would be on the tires like I had oil from the evac tube but fixed that I hope.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 08/12/13 10:26 PM

Thats a VERY TIGHT turn for you so called primary HP

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 08/12/13 11:59 PM

I agree it is not ideal but a bad product of my bad design.Live and learn.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 03/10/14 03:56 PM

I am test fitting some zoomies to see how they look.not a finished product.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 03/10/14 04:32 PM

My other option is to have them point out to the side more and the pipes in a square pattern not flat inline.The long pipe in the rear just need to be cut shorter to match the others.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 03/12/14 08:03 PM

no opinions on the sq exit over the zoomies going back?
Posted By: ProSport

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 03/12/14 10:36 PM

I definitely would not do the square pattern, it would look unfinished like you forgot to install the collector or something.

Since the car has a blower you could get away with the flat pattern zoomies but you will never be able to put mufflers on it in the future, so as long as you're ok with that you should be fine.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 03/12/14 10:47 PM

Quote:

I definitely would not do the square pattern, it would look unfinished like you forgot to install the collector or something.

Since the car has a blower you could get away with the flat pattern zoomies but you will never be able to put mufflers on it in the future, so as long as you're ok with that you should be fine.

Yep ... if its a street car... thats gonna
be hard for exhaust

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 03/12/14 11:31 PM

The pipes seperate/slip on at the fender so I just remove one and replace it with the other with a collector end that I have to redo so a muffler can fit.I need to run a strap on the pipes to hold them togather on the lower part and support them also.Any ideas?

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 03/12/14 11:58 PM

Quote:

The pipes seperate/slip on at the fender so I just remove one and replace it with the other with a collector end that I have to redo so a muffler can fit.I need to run a strap on the pipes to hold them togather on the lower part and support them also.Any ideas?

If you can weld a strap across the 4 tubes then attach
a hanger at that point... then when you change to a
collector you might be a bile to attach at that same
point with the hanger... I use a certain style of
hanger with a rod and rubber block.. this has more
fore and aft movement than sideways which all exhaust
grown in length... of course you have to mount it
in the direction of growth... this one isnt attached
at this time to the pipe

Attached picture 8071707-120531_1101e-w640-h479.jpg

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 03/13/14 12:23 AM

maybe I can hang something from the hole in the frame in my last pic by the tubes.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 05/06/15 12:05 AM

I just did new turn outs and like them.

pass side

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 05/06/15 12:20 AM

Not to leave well enough alone I was thinking a side pipe w/mufflers,Yes I know the bulllets are loud,thanks.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 05/06/15 01:53 AM

How's it running with the new setup

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 05/06/15 02:52 AM

Thanks for asking!I will get out in a week or 2 finally.

Re: out with old headers welding new,pics - 05/06/15 10:01 PM

I went back the the o2 gauge in a single cylinder pipe[5]and checked the idle and that the o2 meter was working.I hope to get out soon to the track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__lUoP0YRBA
© 2024 Moparts Forums