Moparts

Carb Spacers - Do They Work? Which Is Best?

Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Carb Spacers - Do They Work? Which Is Best? - 02/02/13 04:46 PM

Carburetor spacers - do they really increase horsepower? Which is best, the HVH Super Suckers or the regular spacers? Is it worth the price difference for the HVH Super Suckers? Will any of the spacers help on a Tunnelram with 2 1455(1475 cfm each)Ron's Terminators? Which one of the spacers and which height will work best on the Tunnelram? Thanks
Posted By: justintyme

Re: Carb Spacers - Do They Work? Which Is Best? - 02/02/13 04:53 PM

They do help on a lot of applications,by adding plenum volume and giving the air from the carb a more gradual turn to the intake ports but off the top of my head I wouldn't guess a tall Tunnel ram would benifit as much as it already has tons of plenum volume. Somebody who knows for sure will hopefully answer
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Carb Spacers - Do They Work? Which Is Best? - 02/02/13 06:55 PM

I wish that I could tell you which spacer, type of material and hieght and which type, four hole or open, spacer to use but I can't YET I have several tunnel rams that I want to try soon, including a Indy tunnel ram with M.W. ports for a low deck and a pair of Rons terminator throttle bodies with his injection kit using E85 The bad thing about tunnel rams and different hieght and type spacers is the throtte linkage length from the bottom bellcrank to the upper arm, I have three different length arms now so I hope they will cover the different spacers I want to try on that Indy intake I have several different spacers to try, one inch phenolic spacers like in this picture under the Holley carbs. on the Mopar tunnel ram I also want to try two sets of two inch high aluminum spacers, both open and four hole, a pair of 1.5 inch tall Wilson aluminum 4500 reversion spacers and finally I want to try a set of two inch tall tapered Dominator to 4150 adapters to use the Terminator throttle bodys on the 4500 intake top so I can mount the terminators in line instead of sideways like the way the Indy manifold tops are stock

Attached picture 7571792-SANY0115.JPG

Re: Carb Spacers - Do They Work? Which Is Best? - 02/03/13 04:14 PM

Mr Cab,I can see where the spacers might help a carb.,but not sure about a TB as they only pull air.But being a racer I want to get all the HP I can out of my engine and if I can get the claimed 25-35 HP and more that's some cheap Horse-Power!
Posted By: AMC400Mopar

Re: Carb Spacers - Do They Work? Which Is Best? - 02/03/13 04:47 PM

Has anyone tried a spacer on a stock iron intake? If so was it worthwhile, and what size and style spacer did you use?

Re: Carb Spacers - Do They Work? Which Is Best? - 02/03/13 05:29 PM

Here is something else for debate,Anti-Reversion plates.What about these this is the ad/claimer for them?

WE NOW OFFER OUR OWN ANTI REVERSION OR SHEAR PLATE FOR THE DOMINATORS. THEY ARE CUSTOM DESIGNED AND CNC MACHINED INHOUSE. THESE PLATES ARE A NECESSITY ON MOTORS RUNNING TUNNEL RAM INTAKES. MACHINED WITH AN O-RING GROOVE SO NO GASKET IS REQUIRED WERE IT MATES TO THE INTAKE. PRICED AT $99.95.
Posted By: fouronthefloor77

Re: Carb Spacers - Do They Work? Which Is Best? - 02/03/13 05:33 PM

I've used a Mr. Gasket 1 inch open on my 76 w100 with a 440.
I used a 1970 square bore iron manifold and a 3310 750 cfm Holley. I found very little difference between a stock insulator gasket and the one inch open spacer.
Posted By: G_bob

Re: Carb Spacers - Do They Work? Which Is Best? - 02/04/13 12:30 AM

A 1" tapered Wilson spacer made 8 hp on my 505" wedge. Max wedge victors, super victor intake and 1050 dominator. 768 hp without the spacer, 776 hp with.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Carb Spacers - Do They Work? Which Is Best? - 02/04/13 02:20 AM

On a tunnel ram I doubt you need more plenum volume
so more than likely you want a 4 hole to pick up the
carb signal.... but if its a small plenum on it the
open spacer will add volume
Posted By: LA360

Re: Carb Spacers - Do They Work? Which Is Best? - 02/04/13 06:27 AM

I doubt you would see much or any benefit in a dry system (the nozzles are near the bottom of the runner of the intake manifold).
A pair of carbs may benefit from a pair of shear plates. The Super Sucker spacers generally show very little gains.
Posted By: TomsCharger70

Re: Carb Spacers - Do They Work? Which Is Best? - 02/04/13 06:52 AM

Dynoed my 496 cid Indy EZ head engine to 750hp with an Indy intake. Put on a 2" billet spacer, gave 14hp more with no other mods!

/Tom
© 2024 Moparts Forums