Moparts

Pin on 'glass on the street?

Posted By: thedriver

Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 12:03 AM

Who runs a light weight pin on hood on the street/highway?
Is it a pain? Or totally fine. Don't need pros as much as cons!
Thanks!
Posted By: Duner

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 12:08 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

It's generally only a "con" if you have to open it in a confined space without any place to set the hood down. If the underside has foam - you can set it on the roof - if it's not windy.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 12:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks!

It's generally only a "con" if you have to open it in a confined space without any place to set the hood down. If the underside has foam - you can set it on the roof - if it's not windy.

That about says it all.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 12:19 AM

I have ran a pin on or dzus fasteners hood for years. I ran it on the street. It sucks. Cruise in's are a pain to take the hood and put it somewhere if you want to show off your engine.

But, that said how much weight you trying to loose as a bolt on is a joke for weight savings. It just depends on how bad you want to go faster. I will go through the pains to be faster.

Leon
Posted By: topside

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 12:27 AM

Frankly, it's a pain in the butt even on my racecar; some day soon I'll put hinges and the steel hood back on it.
Posted By: 69B3GT

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 12:38 AM

Pin-On here. I put it on the roof when I need it off I dont bother laying down a blanket or anything first either. Then again, im not worried about my beater being scratched...

Opinions may vary.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 12:47 AM

Come on guys ....at the shows you can make those 2-3 foot pin extensions. ALSO .. you can adapt a totally PIN ON hood to "bolt-on" to the hinges ...IF the bracing is done decently.

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 12:55 AM

I'm looking to get a glass hood for my challenger. Six pack hood. Mostly cuz I love the look, also because my rallye hood weighs a ton.
When I finish the car this time it will be raced less, highway driven more.
I don't do shows, and I'm not anal about my clean engine bay, so i won't show that off.
Mostly curious at what speed does the hood start to do funny things, and how many pins to use?
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 01:01 AM

My Demon has a pin on hood,and is going to see street duty this spring.All I do at the track is put the hood on the roof(it has soft foam on the underside) BUT I did have a wind gust come thru at the track one time and the hood blew off the roof.I have 6 pins on the hood (3 in front,3 in back) and the only time it starts moving around is on the top end.

Now make sure that you pin the hood before you drive...even at slow speeds..it WILL come off..I forgot to pin it after going thru tech..off it went.

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 01:07 AM

......................and how many pins to use?

Depends on how good the bracing is. I have built hoods with thin-wall steel tubing, alum and even mag tubing !
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 01:13 AM

My brother has a pin on, hates it, would already be gone if we thought we could do it without mismatched paint
Posted By: forphorty

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 01:17 AM

I've had a pin on hood on my Satellite for 15+ years. With a six pak scoop, the hood is easy to remove and install by myself. One hand on the front of the hood and the other hand in the scoop opening. The stock hood and hinges weighed about 67 lbs. My 'glass hood weighs about 20 lbs.

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 01:22 AM

Please expand on why your brother hates his?
The car is gonna go fast at times. Still don't know what motor to build, but since it's a highway car with Od, it will go as fast as parts like the hood will let me!
Posted By: Roadrunner451

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 01:25 AM

As Doc says, you can get one ready to bolt to the stock hinges. I think I got mine from Unlimited. It needed a bit of work, but it bolted to the stock hinges without a problem. You need to use lightweight hood springs though. When it is setup like that it isn't any different than a stock hood. And when I needed to remove mine this last time to pull the motor, I removed the hood from the car by myself. Try that with a steel hood.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 01:27 AM

My blue DartSport had a lift off hood and it got old sometimes, especially on windy days at the track or at a car show.
My Purple 69 Dart had a hinged hood and it was always in the way while wrenching.
So it's a toss-up for me.

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 01:29 AM

Rr .... you don't need to buy one that has that OEM type underhood bracing ... you can adapt the two brackets TO the race-type bracing ... IF it positioned in a decent location.
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 01:34 AM

Quote:

I'm looking to get a glass hood for my challenger. Six pack hood. Mostly cuz I love the look, also because my rallye hood weighs a ton.
I don't do shows, and I'm not anal about my clean engine bay, so i won't show that off.
Mostly curious at what speed does the hood start to do funny things, and how many pins to use?

I have a Demon, lift off hood, had a hemi dart hoodscoop on it, and it wanted to rip the hood off at 120mph. Changed it out to a snorkel type and it stays put at 130mph, with 6 pins, 3 in the front and 3 in the back. I say go for it, I don't think it is that big a deal. I would think you would know not to take it off in the wind, unlike the chevy guys.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 01:39 AM

Love it hate it. Love to work on it with no hood, hate it when you want to show a buddy your motor. I would not change it though. Going on 15 yrs with it. You want 4 or 5 Zeus fasteners across the front if your going fast.(150 mph)
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 01:56 AM

Ive been running one for about 11 years. If someone wants to see my engine they help take it off.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 02:00 AM

I have a pin on hood with cowl scoop but I am looking
to make it a hinged type BUT with a slide on hinge
and it will still have 4 pins(sorta fancy ones) in
the link.. I dont have springs so I use a prop rod..
so if I want I can slide it off the hinges and set
it off to the side or use the stanchions like Doc said
http://www.deftracing.com/aerocatch_hood_pins/aerocatch_plus_flush_hood_latches.htm
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 03:23 AM

mines a "race weight" pin on. no problems.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 03:53 AM

Quote:

I'm going to assume that when you say six pak hood your talking about the 1969 six pak scoop on a 1970 Challenger hood, not the fibreglas 1970 T/A sixpak hood and scoop. I bought a raceweight Duster hood with a 1968 Hemi scoop molded on it by the fibreglass company I bought it from, I did what Doc Fibregals is suggesting, I molded some aluminum angle brackets onto the bottom of the hood so it would bolt onto the stock A body hinges. I removed the stock hood springs and use a broom stick to hold the hood up when open, trying to mislead some of those that think they have a "fast car" I used two Dzuz fateners behind the scoop, the two stock hinges at the rear corners, two more dzuz fasteners between te hinges and the front and four more dzuz aster acros the front. The scoop stays normal until around 125 + MPH, the faster the car goes the taller the scoop try to stretch It runs 134.+ MPH in the 1/4 now I use to have a sixpak on the motor and I trimmed the hood so the stock type six pak aircleaner elements with two stacked on top of each other would clear the hood that meant it has two bolts holding the front of the scoop on the front instead of four like the 1968 SS cars have Several of my other bracket cars had lift off hoods, I hated them, especially at the track when the wind was blowing
Posted By: 383man

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 04:48 AM

I have a glass hood on my 63. I have foam under it so on nice days I can sit the hood on the roof. But if its windy at all the hood stays on. I like it the best when I have to work on the car as it gives plenty of light to see real good and dont have to worry about hitting my head on the safety catch. Ron

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 04:56 AM

Cool, thanks guys. Can't post pic from my not so smart phone. Im thinking of a 4" six pack like the one on that red hemi challenger mr norm did.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 04:56 AM

Quote:

Come on guys ....at the shows you can make those 2-3 foot pin extensions. ALSO .. you can adapt a totally PIN ON hood to "bolt-on" to the hinges ...IF the bracing is done decently.

We (the car owner actually) just fabbed some aluminum structure to bolt his lift off hood to a hinged deal. Came out pretty slick for minmal dough and time.

I have a bolt on AAR 6-pack hood for my Dart project and it is a NICE piece. No, it's not the max weight savings but it is WAY lighter than my OE steel flat hood is!

Guess it depends on how "race car" you need your street car to be. I'll never have a pin on hood on a street car again (had 2) but that's just me.

What difference is a pin on hood REALLY going to show on a timeslip compared to a bolt on? Not very much...
Posted By: 3ddart

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 05:33 PM

for my hemi dart clone i didn't want to worry about the scratches or wind so i sloted the back hood pin bezels and made aluminum sleeves and bent 2 hood pins + made a prop rod for the front so i can show the engine at cruises with out the worries. seems the engine is what always grabs their attention lol. the sleeves and bent pins tend to stabilize the rear of the hood in case it gets bumped or slightly windy. if i think it's too windy i put the hood down dave

Attached picture 7539825-carpic006.jpg
Posted By: 3ddart

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 05:36 PM

closer picture.

Attached picture 7539830-298970_170670939682097_110043272411531_367291_1466196388_n.jpg
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 06:45 PM

My dad and I both just carried in the car a small blanket or the car covers and just put them on the roof to protect it.
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 06:54 PM

Just becareful when the hood is off, One windy day on an open field

and it could take flight
Posted By: 383man

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 09:11 PM

My buddy has this 6pk lift off hood on his Demon and I think its the 4" one like you plan to use. Ron

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 09:22 PM

Perfect.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 10:25 PM

I had a lift off hood on my cuda for a while, didn't care for the hassle so I replaced it w/ a bolt on and love it. Lift offs are great for working on the car and for weight savings. It's easier to fab an air pan setup to seal your carb to the hood w/ a lift off hood too.
If it's windy it will fly off the roof and may or may not take some paint w/ it. If it's rigid enough not to need 30 hood pins or dzus clips to hold it on, it'll probably be heavy and a pain to handle by yourself. Dzus clips are a PITA and you'll probably wind up scratching your the car when the tool you use to release them slips off the clip and gouges your paint.
I like my bolt on.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 10:30 PM

I have a bolt on AAR 6 pack hood that is a pin on hood now. I don't mind it not bad at all to pull off yourself, I would rather have the room.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 10:38 PM

I like my idea of having both worlds... a pin on
but also using the hinges... just a matter of mounting
a bracket to each side of the hood.... I was working
on mine today
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/09/13 10:46 PM

Quote:

If it's rigid enough not to need 30 hood pins or dzus clips to hold it on, it'll probably be heavy and a pain to handle by yourself.

mine is a bolt on and its standard weight but I moved the pins in some on each side and welded brackets to the firewall and it;s pretty sturdy... Take it off myself no problem.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/10/13 05:21 AM

I have a pin on and it moves around to much to wear it.Nowadays it will only go on when I go to Carlisle.Hardly ever get asked if I even have one

Attached picture 7540726-7.15.12(11).jpg
Posted By: ProStreetFm3

Re: Pin on 'glass on the street? - 01/10/13 03:11 PM

Had one on since 89 I guess I got used to it .. And it gives the girl something to hold on to for pic

Attached picture 7540979-car-show-model-christine-hull_009.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums