Moparts

G.E.R. convertors

Posted By: jake4cars

G.E.R. convertors - 12/29/12 09:03 PM

Anyone have any luck with G.E.R. stuff, have a chance to get a great deal on a 9"

Thanks,
Joey
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/29/12 09:08 PM

Years ago, I remember many having them blow up, just like the ole Boss Hog converters. I hadn't heard of anyone using them in a while.
Posted By: MPerry

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/29/12 09:10 PM

Run fast!
Posted By: moparacer

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/29/12 09:13 PM

Quote:

Run fast!

A "great deal" on a GER would be something like...

"Here, you can have it..."
Posted By: MPerry

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/29/12 09:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Run fast!

Not even worth the effort to install. I can't recall ever hearing one that worked right. Although I assume they must have at some point long ago.
Posted By: jake4cars

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/29/12 09:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Run fast!

Not even worth the effort to install. I can't recall ever hearing one that worked right. Although I assume they must have at some point long ago.

I thought the price was way too low, obviously a reason, I will pass on it. Thanks!! for the replies gentleman.

Joey
Posted By: joshking440

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/29/12 09:28 PM

THEY DONT GET ANY WORSE
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/29/12 09:38 PM

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!
Posted By: cgall

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/29/12 10:17 PM

Do a search! They were Vega/Opel converters, lasted about 10 runs. I can't believe this keeps coming back up.
Posted By: Von

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/29/12 10:18 PM

While I do agree with everybody to run fast from it...they actually made a few that worked fine.

A member and buddy (forphorty) had one that held up for many years in his 68 Sat. It finally went south and he wen to a Dynamic. He said the car doesnt feel any different than with the GER.

Another buddy had a 10 inch behind a 351W. Although it didnt have a bunch of miles, never had a problem with it.
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/29/12 10:28 PM

I remember in the early 90's Mopar Action did a write up with shop photos about how awesome GER was. That mag was great (and probably still is) at marketing worthless junk and helping everyone to buy everything twice.
Posted By: cgall

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/29/12 10:31 PM

Von, what did the Satty run. I know a guy that built a Monza with a 350 and iron heads and a stock Vega converter and it ran 9.80's. They welded some plates on the 'verter to keep it from ballooning.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/29/12 10:36 PM

After seven transmissions in my mud truck I gave up and went with someone else. Run unless you are planning to use it as a boat anchor.
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/29/12 10:59 PM

A friend went from a TCI in his Satellite to a GER in the Cuda he built to replace it. It never blew up, but he sure didn't like the way it acted. I am not sure if he changed it out or not.
Posted By: racerbychoice

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/29/12 11:00 PM

i wouldn't use one for an ashtray.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/29/12 11:05 PM

POS converter made by a POS guy. He ripped off alot of people including me.
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/29/12 11:24 PM

What a pile of crap they are! Are they even still around? I'd like to give them what's left of the conv and trans that I have laying around! Thank god for the shield!
Posted By: SportF

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/29/12 11:39 PM

Quite an amazing bunch of replies. Some replies, I believe, may not be knowlege based, but a repeat of something heard, eh? I have two in cars here, both street cars, one raced maybe 30 passes, another with well over 300. Low 12 second cars, and we still like 'em. A friend we refered also has one, 13 second car. He likes his as well. One of mine is 15 years old. I haven't had trouble. Good luck in your choice.

Attached picture 7523792-IMG_0056.JPG
Posted By: dartman366

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/29/12 11:40 PM

Worthless crap,not worth the price of scrap iron, had one, sent it back twice to get it corrected and the last time they kept it and never sent me my money back, called the owner and told him who I was and he promptly called me everything but my correct nationality,,,never again.
Posted By: Digger73

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/29/12 11:52 PM

The best thing about my G.E.R. was when someone stole it from my shop when the transmission that it destroyed was being rebuilt. As others have said run away as fast and as far as you can!

Digger73
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 12:09 AM

Quote:

Quite an amazing bunch of replies. Some replies, I believe, may not be knowlege based, but a repeat of something heard, eh? I have two in cars here, both street cars, one raced maybe 30 passes, another with well over 300. Low 12 second cars, and we still like 'em. A friend we refered also has one, 13 second car. He likes his as well. One of mine is 15 years old. I haven't had trouble. Good luck in your choice.

If that low 12 second car had the GER out and a T/A J convertor in it,,it would probably turn into a low 11 second car,,mine did!!
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 12:12 AM

I had one, the stall speed was the real deal like my car wouldn't move till it hit 3800 rpms. speedbumps were hell
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 12:18 AM

I tried to call the number in their old ad a couple years ago, the man's voice wanted a few dollars a minute for the kind of fun he promised
Posted By: AAR-B4

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 12:21 AM

Around 1988 I bought a 10" GER ($249) and put it behind a 383 in a Duster.
Ran mid elevens then stepped up to an 8" Continental and picked up 2-3 tenths but at 2x the price of the GER.
I must have gotten one of the good ones. Ran it for a couple years with no issue.
Posted By: SportF

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 12:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If that low 12 second car had the GER out and a T/A J convertor in it,,it would probably turn into a low 11 second car,,mine did!!

Good point. I might have to try that!

Attached picture 7523861-IMG_0045.JPG
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 12:40 AM

Quote:

I had one, the stall speed was the real deal like my car wouldn't move till it hit 3800 rpms. speedbumps were hell

I had the same problem as Ray

I just wonder if I could send it to a real shop and have it turned into something nice or if it just is not cost effective??

Damon
Posted By: johnnycuda

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 01:02 AM

Total pile of steaming ****...had one years ago,supposed to be a 3500 stall
more like 1800,had it behind my 340 maybe 4 months,
threads pulled out of tabs on 2 holes,,,and no I didn't cross thread
or strip,put a Munsinger in it,,car went quicker,faster and 60ft'd
much better.
I wouldn't accept one even for free.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 01:04 AM

Quote:

THEY DONT GET ANY WORSE

I agree, we bought one a long time ago when they first came out We ended up sending it to Munsinger to make it work, it took two trys on his part to make it good Call around to the good shops and ask if they can make it work for your combination
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 01:11 AM

Well I have had some very good luck with them!!
I took out a perfectly good working vert because everyone told me to buy a Dynamic. which I did, it changed nothing ran same numbers mph 60ft
I beat on the vert for 4 years, sold it o guy who ran it another 4 before he sold it, so no telling where it is now,
I have no issue with them !
same for the Fairbamks! ran great on the street/strip for me
Posted By: nss guy

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 01:33 AM

They work great with a "3/4 race cam"
Posted By: D-50

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 01:52 AM

I ran one in the mid 90's for a few years ran 7.30's in the 1/8. Bought a 10 in. Coan race converter and my car slowed down a tenth. I called PTC to see if they could do anything with the GER and they said there is nothing they can or would do to it.

Attached picture 7523949-CIMG0081.JPG
Posted By: actionange

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 03:13 AM

Quote:

POS converter made by a POS guy. He ripped off alot of people including me.

Had one that lasted 5 passes. Ultimate Lenny ( at the time
he was working with Frank Lupo at Dynamic) told me to throw it away- he wouldn't even TRY to repair it!
Posted By: 383man

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 03:36 AM

Most everyone I knew with one said they were junk. My buddy had one in his 340 Duster that ran high 12's and I told him to get a better converter. He put a Turbo Action converter in it and it actually ran about the same. I was suprised to say the least. Maybe every now and then he gets one right. But I would never use one. Ron
Posted By: qwkmopardan

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 03:42 AM

GER---BOOM
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 03:51 AM

Quote:

Around 1988 I bought a 10" GER ($249) and put it behind a 383 in a Duster.
Ran mid elevens then stepped up to an 8" Continental and picked up 2-3 tenths but at 2x the price of the GER.
I must have gotten one of the good ones. Ran it for a couple years with no issue.

It was definetly POT luck...I was close by so I had bought a few over the years late 80's and early 90's. I knew a guy from Transmission Specialties and he said the shop was a state of the art facility cause everything was new but few knew how to use the equipment. Anyway one was great and still works fine today and it was used for about 400 passes and 15,000 street miles. I bought one for a 10 second street car and it was handed to me "paint wet" when I took it home I could not get it to go back on the pump. Here the stator gear was not centered,it was welded together offset. The gave me another but it was too tight. I sold that one and bought a Dynamic convertor instead and never looked back....
Posted By: buck440

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 04:07 AM

mine lasted three days in my 67 charger. took the tranny with it guawded it's self to the pump was unable to get them apart.
Posted By: Dabee

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 04:45 AM

Quote:

You want firsthand experience? I had a brain fart years ago and bought a GER converter. I started the install and when I tried to put the last converter bolt in I found the threads in the lug were damaged. I had to get a heli coil kit and repair the threads before I could finish the install. They have absolutely no quality control. It was an 1800 stall low performance 11 inch unit, it worked okay once the repair was made. I called GER to tell them about the problem and they told me I damaged the threads. Would I buy another GER converter? NOOOO, you couldn’t give me one. It’s PTC or Conan for me.
Posted By: forphorty

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 07:44 AM

Quote:

While I do agree with everybody to run fast from it...they actually made a few that worked fine.

A member and buddy (forphorty) had one that held up for many years in his 68 Sat. It finally went south and he wen to a Dynamic. He said the car doesnt feel any different than with the GER.

The GER performed well but cracked three flexplates in a 4-5year time span. One OEM, the rest SFI MP. On the last flexplate swap, i notice the converter snout was cracked as well. I switched to Dynamic. It's been over 10 years, no problems.
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 07:51 AM

I've had a GER "Thunderbolt" in my car (904 trans) for 18 years now - it must have been made the ONE WEEK they made a decent converter. Good street manners and 4000 stall when it needs to. My car has run consistant 11.30 at 120, with 1.50-1.55 60's for years with it - went 3 tenths slower with a $500+ 10" T/A converter in it. Now, I will say their customer service is non-existant. I cracked the pump drive - C/M snout wasn't avalible when ordered in 1994 - and sent it to them for a new one, since NOBODY else would touch it. Repair went from a quoted 3 weeks, to 7 weeks, to "we never got it". Well, UPS tracking showed they had signed for it, so then they "found" it and put it in the tail end of the repair line. Didn't even have the decency to put it at the front of the line. When I finally got it back, I will say it has been flawless and owes me nothing if it fails tomorrow. Which it may - next time out, it will see a 100 shot as a "how do ya like me now"
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 01:50 PM

As far as the good converters from GER goes even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then. My experience with a 10" was sloppy and inefficient. When I replaced it with a continental the 60', mph and drive ability all improved. IMO junk.
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 03:24 PM

At the time we bought one for my dad's car, it was before the internet was big, and they were one of the only people advertising a 19 spline converter for the early 727s. Anyways my dad's 3000 stall has been working fine since day 1.

If I were in the OP's shoes, I'd only run it if it was known to work, and if you don't have plans to sell the car since it will not be a selling point. Yes, anyone on the internet can say that it's certain to grenade and take your car out with it. But most of what you see bashing GER, deserved or not, is not from direct experience, just a reputation. Since bad news and rumor travel faster than good/no news, the quality of converters may be better than their reputation.

Keep in mind they sold a ton of converters, huge ads in all the magazines in the 90s, so there are probably many of them out there working fine that no one ever hears about. In this thread, there are people with good results and people who have not benefitted by switching to a higher priced converter with a better reputation.
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 03:41 PM

Quote:

At the time we bought one for my dad's car, it was before the internet was big, and they were one of the only people advertising a 19 spline converter for the early 727s. Anyways my dad's 3000 stall has been working fine since day 1.

If I were in the OP's shoes, I'd only run it if it was known to work, and if you don't have plans to sell the car since it will not be a selling point. Yes, anyone on the internet can say that it's certain to grenade and take your car out with it. But most of what you see bashing GER, deserved or not, is not from direct experience, just a reputation. Since bad news and rumor travel faster than good/no news, the quality of converters may be better than their reputation.

Keep in mind they sold a ton of converters, huge ads in all the magazines in the 90s, so there are probably many of them out there working fine that no one ever hears about. In this thread, there are people with good results and people who have not benefitted by switching to a higher priced converter with a better reputation.

Um, you can go to other sites, not even Mopar, and get the same reactions. Their rep goes further than just a few posts.
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 05:01 PM

I great deal would be a guy throwing it in the dumpster FOR you.
Posted By: danbob

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 10:16 PM

Well.. I purchased my GER nitrous converter on 6-22-98.
I have put 10s of thousands of street & highway miles. Have stacks of 9 sec timeslips, and its still working.

A friend purchased one for his nova at the same time. He ran it for years with similar success.

That being said. I know others who have had problems like those being stated.
So... oh well.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 11:44 PM

If they were so good they'd still be around. George Reynolds is a piece of s##T! I ended up calling consumer fraud division in NoDak as that's where I lived at the time of purchasing their pos. While I wasn't compensated for the hours of hold time I had noted on seven months worth of phone bills, they did send me a check for the purchase price. It was a long story, but if it happened today I would have personally flown to PA and thrown the thing through their front window. My issues were over using a 273 crank that they assured me that they would install a smaller snout on it to accomodate the crank.... wasn't done. Got it "fixed" over a span of a few months, installed it just to find out the pads they welded on the ring gear were installed in such a matter that it hit the starter drive and ruined a mini starter. After I got my money back..and still had the converter, I sent it to C&P torque converters where they said there was really nothing they could do with it. Bought one of theirs and it worked.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/30/12 11:49 PM

I bought one used in 1984 from a buddy of mine. I used it for tons of passes and street miles in a couple different cars.

Used GER in '92 when I was building a Trans Am for another buddy. First, they shipped the wrong transmission and refused to exchange it unless we paid freight back, and then, after they finally sent the right trans, the converter didn't last 6 months on the street before it destroyed itself and the trans.

Too many good converter companies out there to take chances with GER.
Posted By: 10.90 Racer

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/31/12 12:51 AM

I was not going to reply but..... Years ago I bought an 8" Two passes and it slipped so bad, it made enough heat to burn the paint off......
When I called them they just gave me a huge run around So I had it cut open by a local fairly decent converter company,,,,,, Before he cut it open he showed me all kinds of poor craftmanship on the outside and the inners were just as bad. He asked me if I wanted to weld it up to sell to someone,,,,, I chose to scrap it.
Posted By: cudadon

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/31/12 01:38 AM

Quote:

The best thing about my G.E.R. was when someone stole it from my shop when the transmission that it destroyed was being rebuilt. As others have said run away as fast and as far as you can!

Digger73

If all the other conv. manuf. charge %700 for a good t-brake conv. and GER charges $350, there must be a reason.

I have had 8" JW & 8" ATI @ 630 to 760 HP and NO problems with either. They cost about the same.
You GET what you Pay for!
I learned a long time ago that its less expensive to buy a quality part, than to replace a cheap part 2-3 times.
Don

Attached picture 7525433-byronwheelie2012.jpg
Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/31/12 09:57 PM

I have not had one ounce of trouble with mine. Its been in the car since 1994ish...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................That being said the car I bet has all of 25 laps down the track and maybe total of 2k miles on it and been sitting in the garage for last 2 years and before that maybe moved all of a 1/4 mile for a good 5 years before that. Joking aside I had heard they were junk after I bought it based on price. Was told they are never close to actual stall amount claimed to be and that they have blown up before. On side note mine was able to run low 13's in my duster in the early 90's.
Posted By: 10sec440

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 12/31/12 10:42 PM

I'm blown away they are still in business!!!Another GER vicitim here, was supposed to be 3500 stall, was 1800. Sent it back, they gave me another one-same, then I couldn't get them on the phone for months. Sent the convertor back anyways, they refused delivery! UPS asked me if I wanted it shipped back I said no SCRAP IT cause that's what it is! I was so mad I called Mopar Action and told them about GER's antics, they said we don't care they buy a lot of advertising! That was the very LAST MA I ever bought!

All you people that say theirs works great, I ran 13's or 12's with it, I'd bet money you would run faster with something else. That thing is a time bomb!
Posted By: G-Money1320

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 01/01/13 12:40 AM

I bought a 10" 3500 one from a buddy of mine years ago unknowing it was a GER and put it in my 340 Dart. It ran good for a few years going 12's most of the time with a lot of street miles. Then one day at the track the trans started leaking fluid really bad, so I pulled it and found that the converter had been rubbing on the front pump cover on one side and ruined the seal. No big deal right?? I called the PHD convertor shop locally here in Mich. to see if he could fix it and he said bring it right down. As soon as I walked in the door he said "no way he would ever work on that convertor, and furthermore it was a junk minivan convertor converted to fit the old cars" He wouldnt even cut it open to look inside. He told me the owner of GER bought a couple truck loads of those and was converting them to fit the older cars. Well guess what I discover a couple years later! Its the same damn convertor as my 97 dodge avenger 2.5 one with the 2.5 mounts clearly ground off and the new stuff welded on. Just to set the record straight on my findings, I still had the GER out of my Dart as well as one out of my Avenger sitting side by side-exactly the same!! Buy a name brand and get a good product!!
Posted By: super451b

Re: G.E.R. convertors - 01/01/13 09:21 AM

The only thing worse than the POS converters he sold was his customer service. If you got a good converter it was probably just an accident !
© 2024 Moparts Forums