Moparts

SB motor plate for electric water pump

Posted By: AndyF

SB motor plate for electric water pump - 12/23/12 02:53 AM

I'm working on a SB powered A-body car at the moment. This one needed a motor plate and is going to run a remote water pump. I designed in a mount for a small racing alternator. The only trick is to use a Meziere water pump plate behind the motor plate. That makes it a bolt on setup without any machine work required to the stock housing.

Attached picture 7514859-SB_remote.JPG

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 12/23/12 05:11 AM

An electric water pump will also fit just fine. Only trick is that you need to use a couple sets of gaskets since the backing plate needs gaskets and both sides of the motor plate. Bolts work fine but long studs would make it easier to put together and take apart.

Attached picture 7515030-SB_meziere.JPG
Posted By: greendart408

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 12/23/12 05:25 AM

Looks nice
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 12/23/12 11:21 AM

Thanks for sharing, I've had this image rolling around in my head for awhile lol
Posted By: Forest

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 12/23/12 05:11 PM

if you left the hole out of the center you wouldn't need the Mezziere back plate & one less set of gaskets?

Attached picture 7515401-photo5.JPG
Posted By: 340_Dart

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 12/23/12 07:10 PM

Quote:

if you left the hole out of the center you wouldn't need the Mezziere back plate & one less set of gaskets?

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 12/23/12 09:17 PM

No, unless you maching down the timing chain housing you need the Meziere back plate so the water flow will work correctly. This is a bolt on solution with the back plate then the motor plate and then the water pump.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 12/23/12 10:41 PM

Ran a solid no whole motorplate for years with a Meziere pump. All you are doing is sealing the water off. That empty cavity in the timing chain cover just fills up with water that basically never moves.
Posted By: Forest

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 12/23/12 10:49 PM

Quote:

Ran a solid no whole motorplate for years with a Meziere pump. All you are doing is sealing the water off. That empty cavity in the timing chain cover just fills up with water that basically never moves.

Me too, not sure how that is any diferent than what the Meziere plate does?
Posted By: dartman366

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 12/23/12 10:59 PM

at least with the hole you could use it eather way with just a plate change, I like it.

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 12/24/12 03:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Me too, not sure how that is any diferent than what the Meziere plate does?

The Meziere plate is machined on the back side to block off the cavity area. It wouldn't matter if everything was perfectly balanced in the cooling system, but if one side of the engine has some extra flow resistance, all the water will go to the other side.

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 12/24/12 03:53 AM

I made a small production run of the AN fittings. I couldn't find anyone selling these so I had to make my own. You can buy them all day long for Ford and Chevy motors, but I couldn't find anything for SB Mopar engines. I'll add them to my website just in case anyone else wants them.

Attached picture 7516212-AR363c(Small).jpg
Posted By: Dos Snails

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 12/25/12 02:36 AM

I have a race cover ,So mine would not need the hole I'm assuming.. It has the side inlets but for a electric pump it might need the two front holes.
Posted By: all spooled up

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 12/25/12 10:46 PM

nice moter plate but do you sell them
Posted By: btroxler

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 03/30/13 10:09 PM

They are being produced and sold as I write this. I just received mine. It is a really nice piece
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 03/30/13 11:00 PM

On the race covers as in my pic there would be no need for the hole in the plate.

Attached picture 7647421-MP9.20TC.JPG
Posted By: Dos Snails

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 03/31/13 02:06 AM

Quote:

On the race covers as in my pic there would be no need for the hole in the plate.

but it still needs the transfer holes for the electric pump
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 03/31/13 02:38 AM

Do we have a price on these ? I would like to get one soon.

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 03/31/13 04:13 AM

Hughes Engines will have them in stock. Should be the same price as the other AR Engineering motor plates. Part number is AR361 for the A-body version.
Posted By: Bignick

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 04/03/13 02:47 AM

What about the low mount alt. kit for small block?
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 04/03/13 05:31 AM

here's our "home brew" approach...

Posted By: Bignick

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 04/11/13 07:00 AM

Looks easy enough. And I will have to build that same deal if no one comes up with some nice machined parts. What alt. are you using?
Posted By: ccarson

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 04/11/13 03:47 PM

I'm installing a motor plate with an electric CSR pump, and was going to remove and machine flat the production housing so I wouldn't end up with
cavity behind the motor plate, is there any reason you wouldn't want to do this? its a 59 Deg W9 motor.

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 04/11/13 08:08 PM

Quote:

What about the low mount alt. kit for small block?

The low mount alternator kit is also available. All it takes is the strap since the mount and adjustment point are built into the motor plate.

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 04/11/13 08:10 PM

Yes, you can do that. It is just a bit of a hassle and it probably doen't gain too much. But it saves about 1/2 of space so that is good.

You'll end up with the fuel pump boss sticking into the motor plate so then you have to machine that down, or make a hole in the plate.
Posted By: ccarson

Re: SB motor plate for electric water pump - 04/12/13 04:23 PM

i was going to machine the fuel pump boss down also and Tig a cover over it just to get it out of the way This motor will never see a Mech Pump.
© 2024 Moparts Forums