Moparts

Drag Week????

Posted By: Leon441

Drag Week???? - 12/22/12 10:17 PM

Been trying to get some info as I am interested in doing this.

Hot Rod seems to want to keep the date and wereabouts a big secret. Fine but, I work a full time job and have to plan vacation in December for the following year. I don't need to know the exact tracks just a general are of the US that is will be held. For instance if it is in CA forget it.

Also been trying to find out some rules so I know what my car can fit in and how competitive it may be. I think these are fair questions.

Carry On.

Leon Hudson
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/22/12 10:21 PM

me too.
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/22/12 10:50 PM

It has been consistantly the 2nd week in September, which in 2013, would be the 8th through the 14th.

Rules can be found here: http://blogs.hotrod.com/hot-rod-drag-week-2012-rules-20589.html#axzz2FotJ5wb3

Attached picture 7514567-SAM_1743-Copy.JPG
Posted By: ksj

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/22/12 10:59 PM

Given the turnout the last 2 years Id think middle of the US.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/22/12 11:16 PM

Quote:

Given the turnout the last 2 years Id think middle of the US.

Pretty hard to guess where the location will be...
the last 2 years have been in the Oklahoma area

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/22/12 11:18 PM

I could see Memphis,St Louis or Cordova being a starting point.Just thinking out loud here.Doubt it will be east of any of the above mentioned.

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/22/12 11:33 PM

Quote:

I could see Memphis,St Louis or Cordova being a starting point.Just thinking out loud here.Doubt it will be east of any of the above mentioned.

I wouldnt mind St Louis as the base track

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/23/12 02:01 AM

Just thinking out loud. But, why have in the same area every year? Other than trying to make the distance equal. But, really that is not necessarily center of the US.

Seems that racing 9:30-12:00p is a little strange. This leaves the worst travel time afternoon rush hour to travel. Unless you do what I am thinking wait until the wee hours of the morning to drive. Only problem is fat chance of finding help in the middle of the night if you tear your stuff up on a pot hole.

I just know that the roads in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Missouri are a lot worse than what we have in VA, NC, and SC. I bought my trailer in El Reno, OK and thought I was going to loose a kidney before I could get there with an empty truck.

But, hey I am still interested.

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/23/12 02:05 AM

Wonder what they consider stock flooring from firewall to front of wheeltub. They don't make that stuff for my antique. Had to make it all myself. It is steel not aluminum but the tunnel is removable aluminum.

The class would be Pro Street NA that I am looking at.

I need to make a new transmission tunnel anyway. Would like to know. I know the tech guy from last year. I guess I need to call him and get the nitty gritty.

Leon
Posted By: Gary Robbins

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/23/12 02:47 AM

This passed me during drag week this year after making a high 6 second-200+ mph pass a couple hours earlier

Attached picture 7514852-larsen1.jpg
Posted By: Gary Robbins

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/23/12 02:54 AM

Blew by me like i was setting still...Heard him before i seen him

Attached picture 7514861-larsen5.jpg

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/23/12 06:17 AM

Quote:

Just thinking out loud. But, why have in the same area every year? Other than trying to make the distance equal. But, really that is not necessarily center of the US.

Seems that racing 9:30-12:00p is a little strange. This leaves the worst travel time afternoon rush hour to travel. Unless you do what I am thinking wait until the wee hours of the morning to drive. Only problem is fat chance of finding help in the middle of the night if you tear your stuff up on a pot hole.

I just know that the roads in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Missouri are a lot worse than what we have in VA, NC, and SC. I bought my trailer in El Reno, OK and thought I was going to loose a kidney before I could get there with an empty truck.

But, hey I am still interested.

Part of the reason is, they try to run you through
city rush hour traffic... thats part of a street car
Posted By: rattler

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/23/12 08:46 PM

We watched at Memphis. This is a great event and if it's within a couple of hundred miles, we will go again. We really enjoyed walking around the motel talking with some of the teams. Truly a good bunch of guys.
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/23/12 09:14 PM

Leon,
There has been a precedent set in previous events of guys running Pro Street NA with floorpans like yours. That's basically the top NA class, so they wouldn't kick you into unlimited unless it was blatant, like a lenco, or struts up front.
Drag Week has more of a live and let live vibe to it than some of the heads-up series stuff.

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/23/12 10:38 PM

So you were running 85 and he Larson blew right by. Sounds familiar.

My largest concern will be a low geared rear with a high stall converter and trying to drive 300 miles at one time. When I really kicked it on the street I was running tight nitrous converters and not a lot of gear. The car could idle and run 45 mph. May just have to put a stick in the car. LOL

My old NA engine would ET just fine with 4.88's. With a 31 inch tall tire that is not a lot of gear. But, trying to get a 6,500 stall converter to work on long highway drives is going to be a challenge. That is unless I can do like Larson and run over 100MPH to keep the converter close to stall speed.

Leon

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/23/12 11:07 PM

My concern is the same... running a 5000 stall but
when its in OD... it should have about 10% slippage
so I am going to run multiple coolers in series and
in parallel... so I will have a fair bit more volume
and cooling.... I hope it works... I'll be testing
in the spring
Posted By: SLOW67

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/23/12 11:30 PM

I wish they could move it to the east coast for atleast one year. Maybe TN,SC,NC,VA and back to TN. I know it would bring out an entirely different crowd but It would make it more available to some of us southeastern guys. I'd love to run Daily Driver with my junk
Posted By: BBR

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/23/12 11:59 PM

From what I understand, the location every year is more dependent upon finding 4 tracks the right distance apart that are willing to be open during the week than anything. I think the owner of Tulsa was instrumental in bringing it back to Oklahoma this year. When they announce tracks, we'll be sure to post it up and make sure everybody knows. Mopar Is certainly under-represented in every class except DD.

Bring it on out! Drag Week is a helluva lot of fun and is really more about surviving the week than winning.

There are some guys that run tall gears, no OD and high stall converters. I'm in the middle. 4000 converter with 3.55's and a 3 speed automatic.

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/24/12 12:32 AM

Quote:

I wish they could move it to the east coast for atleast one year. Maybe TN,SC,NC,VA and back to TN. I know it would bring out an entirely different crowd but It would make it more available to some of us southeastern guys. I'd love to run Daily Driver with my junk

There are guys that DRIVE from the east coast(NY) to
DW but they have the money and time... I dont mind
the time but I do have a limit on money... my buddy
and myself settled on a 900 mile limit to travel to
the starting point... so if its within that we WILL
be there...he has had his truck in it 2 years and
both years I rode right seat but I will have a ride
for it this year if its within 900 miles... I drive
my diesel with my 43' trailer with LQ so we have a
place to stay when on the road and the day before
and the last night so its cheaper than a room

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/24/12 12:45 AM

Theres guys from the east,Canada, Calif,Ariz,Fla that make it every year.Make the trip you wont regret it.

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/24/12 04:15 AM

Can't really see the affordability arguement when it comes to location of dragweek. Tulsa is something like 800 mile pull for me. So that is like $500 in diesel. Then you figure another $150 in gas for the generator on the trailer. Like P says stay in it while traveling to and from. But, that is really meaningless if you have a race gas burning entry for Drag week. 1400 miles at $8 a gallon probably around $1,200 in race gas. That is if you can figure out how to use your own stash all week. Don't see that happening either. Probably going to be forced to buying whatever is available at whatever price they are getting. So make that gas bill prediction to $2,000 so you don't get your feelings hurt. Might as well figure the trip is gonna cost $3,000 in fuel and motels.
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/24/12 04:29 AM

But I would really love to read about your car destroying some people, that's gotta be worth something

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/24/12 04:35 AM

Quote:

Can't really see the affordability arguement when it comes to location of dragweek. Tulsa is something like 800 mile pull for me. So that is like $500 in diesel. Then you figure another $150 in gas for the generator on the trailer. Like P says stay in it while traveling to and from. But, that is really meaningless if you have a race gas burning entry for Drag week. 1400 miles at $8 a gallon probably around $1,200 in race gas. That is if you can figure out how to use your own stash all week. Don't see that happening either. Probably going to be forced to buying whatever is available at whatever price they are getting. So make that gas bill prediction to $2,000 so you don't get your feelings hurt. Might as well figure the trip is gonna cost $3,000 in fuel and motels.

Me and my buddy are both retired so we dont have the
endless funds so we came up with a distance... it would
still cost us $1800 each minimum and more like $2200
and thats burning pump gas in the cars... diesel is
pricey anywhere you go... if we both go we have to
have 2 rigs... he hauls his truck on a trailer and
I use my diesel to haul my rig with the LQ so during
the drive out and back we use the LQ and the night
before and the last night so we save there but we
still have to look at the expenditures and yet still
have a good time(that doesnt count for any breakage)
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/24/12 04:56 AM

Just curious,If you win your class,what do you win??? Hopefully CASH to help with expences.

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/24/12 05:02 AM

Quote:

Just curious,If you win your class,what do you win??? Hopefully CASH to help with expences.

LOL.... you win a jacket... and in most classes you
also get a GV OD unit(about $3000) but I'm not sure
if DD wins that but they do win a jacket... so you
can see that its a pretty good penny out of your pocket
to be in it... but it is a riot to be in it
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/24/12 05:05 AM

I would love to go and participate even if I didnt win.

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/24/12 05:13 AM

Quote:

I would love to go and participate even if I didnt win.

If you think about it you either bring out a fast
car for the SO CALLED heads up classes, which if you
have the fastest car on the average for the week
you win... in the DD class you have to bracket race
the last day(32 car field) so that adds alot to it
you have to make the 32 field.... and of course you
need to drive about 1400 miles during that week with
the stuff in your car or drag a trailer... no outside
help except for the DW guys
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/24/12 05:20 AM

Drag Week is not about winning or what do you get, It's living the movie Two Lane Black Top and the goal should be building a car that can survive. I never thought I would be a winner, I just wanted to prove to the people that are local to me that my junk will run on pump gas and not break. to my surprise, 93 was not easy to find so most of the week it was on 91 but I had the timing down to slow my car down anyway so it was good.

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/24/12 05:28 AM

Quote:

Drag Week is not about winning or what do you get, It's living the movie Two Lane Black Top and the goal should be building a car that can survive. I never thought I would be a winner, I just wanted to prove to the people that are local to me that my junk will run on pump gas and not break. to my surprise, 93 was not easy to find so most of the week it was on 91 but I had the timing down to slow my car down anyway so it was good.

And to keep it in to 10.0 range... things are not
always easy
EDIT
Ray did you win a jacket and a GV

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/24/12 06:23 AM

Quote:

Well said.Pretty sure some of that 91 hadnt been tested for a true reading.LOL.To the OP just one bit of advice.Drinking beer with the Aussies can be hazardous to your health.
Posted By: Scott58

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/24/12 02:45 PM

The Gear Vendor's OD unit prize is for the Unlimited class winner only. They also have a random drawing for one or two more OD units, and also about eight or so discount coupons on a GV OD purchase, starting at $100-$200 and going up to about $1000. In 2011 I got a coupon which I used for my OD purchase, and that year Larson gave his Unlimited prize OD back to GV at the award ceremony and they drew a name for it - I thought that was very classy by Larry.

Scott

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/24/12 03:06 PM

Quote:

The Gear Vendor's OD unit prize is for the Unlimited class winner only. They also have a random drawing for one or two more OD units, and also about eight or so discount coupons on a GV OD purchase, starting at $100-$200 and going up to about $1000. In 2011 I got a coupon which I used for my OD purchase, and that year Larson gave his Unlimited prize OD back to GV at the award ceremony and they drew a name for it - I thought that was very classy by Larry.

Scott

Thanks for that info... it was nice of Larry.. how
many OD units can he run LOL
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/24/12 04:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Scott

Thanks for that info... it was nice of Larry.. how
many OD units can he run LOL

From what I understood at the awards ceremony Larry doesn't run one. Lutz does and the president of gear vendors joked about rooting for lutz because of that.

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/24/12 05:37 PM

From what I understood at the awards ceremony Larry doesn't run one. Lutz does and the president of gear vendors joked about rooting for lutz because of that.

I thought all this time he did run a GV, specially
at the speeds he runs on the E-way

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/24/12 11:18 PM

I don't know what rpm he spins his motor to but with a 33" tire and 210mph he is probably geared 4.10 or or numerically lower. Then consider that he probably needs to run 3000rpm down the road to run clean(just a wild guess). I can see him moving 85 pretty easy.

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/24/12 11:33 PM

Larry does not run a GV on his Lenco. Lutz does indeed use a GV on his automatic, as do two other seven second zone Unlimited competitors: Ahokas and Schroeder (both of which were DNF this year).

I don't know what Larson's rear gear ratio is, but I'll bet it's taller than most would guess. He would probably tell you if you asked him.

Scott

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/24/12 11:42 PM

Quote:

Larry does not run a GV on his Lenco. Lutz does indeed use a GV on his automatic, as do two other seven second zone Unlimited competitors: Ahokas and Schroeder (both of which were DNF this year).

I don't know what Larson's rear gear ratio is, but I'll bet it's taller than most would guess. He would probably tell you if you asked him.

Scott

If the clutch is 100% locked up he would be spinning 8500+ at 210mph on a 33" tire. I doubt he turns that much rpm.

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/25/12 12:33 AM

Just watching Larson on the tube I would say he could be running a 3.70 gear. A lot of outlaw 10.5 guys run a really tall gear. And with the Lenco he can make his first gear whatever he wants. Really with a Lenco he can run whatever rear gear he wants.

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/25/12 02:57 AM

IIRC its 3.50

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/25/12 03:43 AM

I still need a lockup 8" powerglide converter kit. That would fix all the issues. Or it may be cheaper to make a call and buy a different block and crank. Lot of money I don't have to spare right now. But, I feel a large disp. SB on the bottle would be more competitive and easier to drive than a small cube SB NA. Guy has one but has not given a selling price or a confirmation that he will indeed sell it.

Need to hurry up and get this thing moving along. Then I will know how it acts on the street and runs at the track. Just hard to do when it's cold and we are fighting the FLU right now.

Re: Drag Week???? - 12/25/12 05:42 AM

Sent you a PM.You have to go.

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/25/12 07:43 AM

Something just occured to me. This is not drag Racing.

I noticed Pbody talked about "The So-called heads-up class". I thought he was being retarded or something. Watched the show 2 or 3 times today. Nope I was retarded. These heads up guys are not racing. It is strickly ET on single passes. No racing. No reaction time equation. Come on all this hype and you don't race. Somehow I had forgotten this detail.

I always assumed the track just opened at say 9:00A and stayed open until late that evening. This to allow guys time to get their driving in. And that was why it was single passes. AH no. The trips down the 1/4 mile, not racing, are 9:00A-12:00P. A three hour window. So the idea that racing is just something out of the question is pure BS.

I have to admit my boys got me interested in this deal. My wife was the one smart enough to see this for what it really is. Looks like a lot of fun. Purely Brutal on the car. Are side by passes out of the question? Can you go after a guy and run grudge passes while still participating in the DRAGWEEK? Afterall I am a racer. Not an exibitioner. After doing this for well over 20 years I have had my ego buffed enough. Been in several magazines. Raced a lot of So-called street legal series. I haven't raced a class sense 1996 that paid nothing. And like Dragweek you were lucky to get your prize clothing in a reasonable amount of time.

I can see where this could be an incredible thing to do. I will just have to think about it some more.

There play ground not mine but here are some things I would like to see.

Actual heads up racing. Isn't this what everyone wants.

The drives around 100-200 miles a day. After you drive 100 miles you have been up to temperature for plenty of time if something were just gonna fail. Seems most troubles come from road hazzards and hard to maintain street tuneups. 300-400 miles is just burning gas and eating up equipment IMO. I guess with a 7 hour drive they are rendering a 13 hour repair job as just about putting you out.

I have under VA law exercised my street car on the street for years. I must admit it has not been 300 miles in one stint in 20 years. I don't think I ever drove this car over 200 miles in one stretch sense I bought it bone stock in 1990. LOL

I get the "Your car aint street legal" all the time. Not because of the motor, gear, or exhaust. But, lately because the car is tubbed and has a parachute. The new crowd expects us guys who started this stuff to suddenly play by their rules. Will participating in Dragweek change that and proove the point. I would like to say yes. But, the guys who make these claims drive the Fox bodies and pay dear for their illegal inspection stickers, have no smog equipment, and some are running plates off of grandmas car. So what gives.

Just gonna have to think about this.

Attached picture 7517697-2004cclass1_1.jpg

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/25/12 02:36 PM

I ended up racing against the same 2 cars all week but it was just happened that way. neither car was in my class though, 427 ls prostreet vega and a procharged mustang and we had a blast

since I started going to Drag Week, I find going to the track without worrying about the drive to the next track is boring.

anyone can trailer their so called street car to the track and form a circle of 20 guys insulting each other but shut your mouth and drive across 3 states then run your number, that is impressive

on another note, if you have problems on your drive, you become much more worried about just getting to the track then who your lined up against. out of 189 cars, the class cars run together so if I looked at the averages I think there was only 20 cars that were faster than a 10.00. so I was pretty much an average car in the middle of the class cars and I didn't care who I lined up with. lots of side by side action and alot better than big so called grudge races

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/26/12 04:32 PM

You can grudge race anyone you want if they are up to it.

My most favorite (and best) pass of the entire week was lining up against Bill Fowler (who was leading my class) in Louisiana.

I've started just driving the car to the local track and pulling the DW trailer with my slicks and tools in it instead of loading it on the car trailer. Looks kinda funny parked next to giant enclosed trailers, but it keeps the DW vibe going for me.

I suppose it's not really a drag race in the sense we all know it, save for the DD class. It's more of a race against the clock, both on the track and on the drive. There's still an air of intense competition, trying to stay ahead to the guy chasing you or trying to catch the guy ahead of you.

It's a hell of an adventure and I doubt you would regret doing it.

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/26/12 07:00 PM

You would enjoy it Leon and yes you can grudge race
if the other guy wants to... but like you seen on the
show, its usually a single on the heads up classes...
I always wondered why would you run singles if you
have a time constraint
Posted By: Darryls-Demon

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/27/12 01:20 AM

Leon I do not think you should do Dragweek, your car looks so nice in the photo that if you sign up it will force me to go again just to see your car in person.

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/27/12 02:43 AM

Quote:

have a time constraint

no one runs singles except for when Larson or Lutz runs because everyone wants to watch what they do

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/27/12 03:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

have a time constraint

no one runs singles except for when Larson or Lutz runs because everyone wants to watch what they do

Your right... I forgot... it was 09 and 10 when I
was there

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/28/12 12:29 AM

I think the idea of driving a car to the track is great or from track to track. As people in the towns you go through see and hear what is coming through rather than being boxed in a trailer.

Here is why I started trailering. Go to the track by yourself and your car breaks. You leave the car to try and go get something to haul it home.. Come back car missing stuff. No thank you. I will continue to race with my security blanket trailer, food, stove, shower, bed, tool boxes, air compressor, and generater. Why do you choose to degrade those of us with real race operations?

Here is why I think guys like running the clock. Same reason they race test and tune and don't want to run anybody. They couldn't cut a light if they had a shock collar around their neck. One of the most important parts of Drag Racing is left out in DRAGWEEK. Reaction time is a huge player in real drag racing. Hate to see that it is not a part of the so-called heads up classes in DRAGWEEK.

Leon

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/28/12 01:14 AM

Its the way HotRod has it setup.Larson,,Joe Barry,Lutz,Prospero,Tim Reid, Jake Stelter etc I know race at their local tracks and dont just test and tune.To say they cant cut a light is abit of a stretch.Its so far the best that anyone has come up with.Still think you need to go

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/28/12 02:54 AM

Quote:

Its the way HotRod has it setup.Larson,,Joe Barry,Lutz,Prospero,Tim Reid, Jake Stelter etc I know race at their local tracks and dont just test and tune.To say they cant cut a light is abit of a stretch.Its so far the best that anyone has come up with.Still think you need to go

Please don't put words in that I did not say. That pisses me off.

This is what I said in the start of paragraph three. "Here is why I think guys like running the clock. Same reason they race test and tune and don't want to run anybody. They couldn't cut a light if they had a shock collar around their neck." Did not say Larson, Lutz, or anyone else by name or say just the guys in Dragweek. Not what I said at all. It was a statement amount "guys who Like running the clock" instead of race side by side in general.

This is how stuff gets started that was not said at all. Then other people jump to the same conclusion. Next thing you know I am being called out due to something I did not say at all.

Leon

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/28/12 03:47 AM

I mis took what you said.Wifes right I do that from time to time.No harm intended.Any other ?? I'll let others answer.Mope mopars the merrier.

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/28/12 05:22 AM

Leon, maybe I missed it, but what class would you be in? I would line up next to you all week if I go

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/28/12 05:34 AM

Quote:

Leon, maybe I missed it, but what class would you be in? I would line up next to you all week if I go

Ray I know you tried to stay at 10.0 this year due
to license but for next year would you run a certed
chassis and license to run all out... since I can only
fit in 2 classes(unlimited and DD) I could only run 10.0
in unlimited or run in DD at 10.80.... IF I do run
in unlimited I'd run with you but at 10.0... but I
really think I'll run DD cause I have a few buddies
running that

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/28/12 06:17 AM

HotRod TV does not do the event justice.For those thinking of going BUY one of these DVD's.Kyle captured it the best. This link can explain it better than I ever could.Theres daily clips,pics and DVDs as well.
http://www.1320video.com/videos/

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/28/12 06:36 AM

Quote:

HotRod TV does not do the event justice.For those thinking of going BUY one of these DVD's.Kyle captured it the best. This link can explain it better than I ever could.Theres daily clips,pics and DVDs as well.
http://www.1320video.com/videos/

I seen the 1 on air spot so far... but from what the
guys said ... Hot Rod made the event really lame...
I was on 09 and 10 when Kyle and the rest did a really
good job... it wasnt just the Larry and Lutz show

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/28/12 07:11 AM

Theres an episode of HotRodTV to be aired after the 1st of the year that covers the other classes and DD.You know as well as I do a half hour doesnt do it justice.

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/28/12 02:54 PM

I think a lot of people miss the point of Drag Week. The reason the drives are long is the event is intended for true street cars, cars that can drive hundreds of miles a day, day after day, in all kinds of traffic. If you break, for any reason, you are at great risk of elimination due to the schedule constraints. This is all intentional! The event’s challenge is more about durability and endurance on the street than raw speed. How well can you balance the need for reliability on the road with the need for performance at the track? Every year race cars posing as street cars show up, and a lot get eliminated during the first or second day on the road. Driving 300-400 miles in a day is not "eating up equipment" if you have a REAL street car (not just a “street-legal” car), it’s just a long day of scenic driving after a morning playing at the race track with your friends. If you don’t have a real street car, you probably shouldn’t run Drag Week, you’ll likely just tear your stuff up and stress yourself out. It’s a lesson repeated every year, sometimes even by veterans that get a little greedy and step too far over the line to go faster!

Scott

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/28/12 06:10 PM

^^yep^^

Furthest I had driven my car on the highway before DW this year was 20 miles and I had ZERO miles on it pulling the little trailer with it and the car fully loaded. To say I was a bit nervous pulling out of Tulsa on day 1 would be an understatement. lol

It certainly isn't for everyone, but neither is sky diving, running marathons or climbing Mt. Everest.
Posted By: MRMOPAR

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/28/12 06:16 PM

Quote:

I think a lot of people miss the point of Drag Week. The reason the drives are long is the event is intended for true street cars, cars that can drive hundreds of miles a day, day after day, in all kinds of traffic. If you break, for any reason, you are at great risk of elimination due to the schedule constraints. This is all intentional! The event’s challenge is more about durability and endurance on the street than raw speed. How well can you balance the need for reliability on the road with the need for performance at the track? Every year race cars posing as street cars show up, and a lot get eliminated during the first or second day on the road. Driving 300-400 miles in a day is not "eating up equipment" if you have a REAL street car (not just a “street-legal” car), it’s just a long day of scenic driving after a morning playing at the race track with your friends. If you don’t have a real street car, you probably shouldn’t run Drag Week, you’ll likely just tear your stuff up and stress yourself out. It’s a lesson repeated every year, sometimes even by veterans that get a little greedy and step too far over the line to go faster!

Scott

Good Point!
Posted By: instigator

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/28/12 08:46 PM

So Leon's going to be grudge racing elvis (the king of drag week).....suppose to give him the move.......and taking the back tire from larson......Is that what I heard????????

Maybe streetking will find his car in time to get in on the action also.....

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/28/12 10:47 PM

On Bangshift ole Elvis claimed the pro-street NA class was soft and was an easy win for him............then he didn't show haha.

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/28/12 11:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ray I know you tried to stay at 10.0 this year due
to license but for next year would you run a certed
chassis and license to run all out... since I can only
fit in 2 classes(unlimited and DD) I could only run 10.0
in unlimited or run in DD at 10.80.... IF I do run
in unlimited I'd run with you but at 10.0... but I
really think I'll run DD cause I have a few buddies
running that

it was sorta an unsatisifing feeling not running all out. a window net, a cage cert and a comp license is what I would need. honestly I was thinking about putting Drag Week on the back burner to pay off a house but If I do go I would love to do that. I sorta did that in this past one and had fun with the guys

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/29/12 06:28 AM

Pro Street NA or nitrous. It would be much easier to do a nitrous enty simply because of the gear and converter being so much easier on the street.

I read on Facebook where Eddie is wanting to run Pro Street NA. When I had my 468 SB nitrous enty and Eddie was always on here talking smack I really would have liked to put him in his place PRo Tree and on nitrous 2 out of 3 deal. I still think if I had what I want to run in Nitrous he would not have any hope in dealing with me. On motor with me running a little 358. I would guess Eddie would have the upper hand. But, only time will tell.

As far as the Drag cars can't hang in for the drives BS. That is what it is. There is nothing about my car that cannot handle thousands of miles of street duty. But, running really steep gears and high stall converters that will definately be a challenge on parts. My engine before the cam change could go 500 miles at 9,000 RPM. I don't know of any dragweek entry that could do that. But, in the thirst for more speed the cam was stiffened up and a lot more valve spring added. Something I am curious about is race gas availability and consistancy. Is there a common fuel available at all of the tracks? There will definately be a lot of carb tuning going on to make this dominator happy at cruise. But, I have done this before.

Leon

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/29/12 07:20 AM

Most tracks have race gas available.Some bring their own and have a split fuel cell for race gas only.Jake Stelter wings his SB/NA to 9k and with 4.88s out back and made the week.Had a few lifter problems. As for Eddie well you know.LOL.He may show or he may not.DW is like 2 Lane Blacktop except its 200 cars crossing the country racing and hoping to get to their destination.I have not heard from BS on your registration issues.Maybe try another username on the DW topic.Im sure we will recognize your posts and help you out anyway we can.
Posted By: mcat4321

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/29/12 05:48 PM

Quote:

As far as the Drag cars can't hang in for the drives BS. That is what it is. There is nothing about my car that cannot handle thousands of miles of street duty. But, running really steep gears and high stall converters that will definately be a challenge on parts. My engine before the cam change could go 500 miles at 9,000 RPM. I don't know of any dragweek entry that could do that. But, in the thirst for more speed the cam was stiffened up and a lot more valve spring added. Something I am curious about is race gas availability and consistancy. Is there a common fuel available at all of the tracks? There will definately be a lot of carb tuning going on to make this dominator happy at cruise. But, I have done this before.

Leon

dude your killing me.. many a man has made the "my car will have no problems " statement. many of those guys where wrong... show me dont tell me...your either going to do it or your not. im betting not.
your the type of guy that is looking for only perfect conditions to do it.. that will never happen, the 3rd track might not have the gas you want . you'll have to make do.. not knowing EVERYTHING is what makes dragweek. needing a printed itinerary.... its not for you...

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/29/12 09:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Leon

dude your killing me.. many a man has made the "my car will have no problems " statement. many of those guys where wrong... show me dont tell me...your either going to do it or your not. im betting not.
your the type of guy that is looking for only perfect conditions to do it.. that will never happen, the 3rd track might not have the gas you want . you'll have to make do.. not knowing EVERYTHING is what makes dragweek. needing a printed itinerary.... its not for you...

Another good point.
Posted By: TrWaters

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/29/12 10:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Leon

Posted By: headhunter

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/30/12 04:26 PM

Quote:

So Leon's going to be grudge racing elvis (the king of drag week).....suppose to give him the move.......and taking the back tire from larson......Is that what I heard????????

Maybe streetking will find his car in time to get in on the action also.....

are you talking about street king in ky? he has it together and just about all lined out but hes not going to run any tracks with the timers on
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/30/12 11:06 PM

Drag week is ghey

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/31/12 01:44 AM

One would begin to think that after reading the post. But, wait a minute it is not Dragweek that is gheyy. It is the people who think that it is the only game out there.

Makes no difference that you own the same car for over 20 years and drive it on the street just about every weekend during the hot summer months. I was always told when I started running NMCA in 1998 that my problem was I thought I had a street car. The reason is we did not have a golf cart and were too lazy to walk around and check every body out. So we drove the car around all week end. We were the only guys in Super Street to show up and drive the car out of the facility to eat, hotel, or anything else that came up. The engine rarely got under 180 degrees. Did that make the car a great street car or the driver an idot. I'll take the second.

You know why Dragweek has no payout? Think about it. It aint to make it fun or fair.
Posted By: mopar_mark

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/31/12 02:17 AM

Quote:

On Bangshift ole Elvis claimed the pro-street NA class was soft and was an easy win for him............then he didn't show haha.

Maybe, but Elvis has been there & won, can't ever take that away from him. . . .

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/31/12 03:48 AM

Hey it certainly isn't for everyone, but neither is street racing or nmca. Winners get some nice vouchers for merchandise and stuff, but really its about sharing an adventure with friends and having a good time. Its fun and stressful all at the same time.

I love it, have been twice and luckily have finished both times. Made some great friends and best of all made some great memories.

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/31/12 04:06 AM

Quote:

Drag week is ghey

Sleggie would think its ghey because he would NEVER
think of trying.... as was said.. its not for everyone..
I went the 2 years with my buddy and had a riot
and we had our problems... 1 year the rearend was
on its last leg on the last 2 days.. the other year
broke a push rod but got lucky and a guy gave us 2
that was close enough

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/31/12 04:17 AM

NMCA only takes 3 gallons of race gas to prove your race car is a street car

Drag Week would take a drum of race gas to prove your race car is a street car

how long does it take to pump race gas into a drum? I couldn't even imagine that

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/31/12 08:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Drag week is ghey

that was close enough

MrP I was just joking giving ray ray a jab.... Drag week looks like a lot of stressful fun

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/31/12 02:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Drag week is ghey

that was close enough

MrP I was just joking giving ray ray a jab.... Drag week looks like a lot of stressful fun

I had a good reponse to it but did'nt want a vacation in the winter months.

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/31/12 02:57 PM

Ray you going this year again or hear any dates/locations?

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/31/12 03:10 PM

Quote:

Ray you going this year again or hear any dates/locations?

I don't know and no I have not heard anything but I would expect it in the same area again.

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/31/12 03:39 PM

Quote:

how long does it take to pump race gas into a drum? I couldn't even imagine that

What in the world are you talking about. NMCA only taking 3 gallons of gas. They have not done a 25 mile cruise in almost 20 years. I raced all the NMCA races for the first time in 99. Most were a repeat of what I raced in 98'. There was not one track that you could drive to anything in town in any kind of performace car with 3 gallons of gas. Just for information I usually buy three 55 gallon drums of race fuel to race a season. So other than trying to carry it in a trailer that would not be a problem.

We cannot buy E85 in this area. So for all the trash talkers running that stuff keep that in mind. It's either race gas or 9:1 compression ratio around here. I would like to try E85 but, Dragweek is such a big secret how do you know that it will be raced in an area where E85 is available. Guess you guys never considered that.

My questions in the original post are legitamate. They are not a request to back out as how can you back out of something you have not signed up for. But, for those of you who desire to trash talk like some kind of punk about what I can do. Trash on I have thick skin. I can dish it out to.

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/31/12 03:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What in the world are you talking about. NMCA only taking 3 gallons of gas. They have not done a 25 mile cruise in almost 20 years. I raced all the NMCA races for the first time in 99. Most were a repeat of what I raced in 98'. There was not one track that you could drive to anything in town in any kind of performace car with 3 gallons of gas. Just for information I usually buy three 55 gallon drums of race fuel to race a season. So other than trying to carry it in a trailer that would not be a problem.

We cannot buy E85 in this area. So for all the trash talkers running that stuff keep that in mind. It's either race gas or 9:1 compression ratio around here. I would like to try E85 but, Dragweek is such a big secret how do you know that it will be raced in an area where E85 is available. Guess you guys never considered that.

My questions in the original post are legitamate. They are not a request to back out as how can you back out of something you have not signed up for. But, for those of you who desire to trash talk like some kind of punk about what I can do. Trash on I have thick skin. I can dish it out to.

who is trashing talking you in this thread? it surely isn't me, Maybe your reading my general statesments and think I am busting your chops but I am not.

I could care less if you go or not. I would like to see you go and represent but if you don't go, you don't go. your the one talking about your race car operation and not having a golf cart for reasons I can't figure out how they fit into a drag week thread. That was directed at you and is not a general statement.

It's not that Drag Week is the only game in town for those of us that have been there, it's that we have been there and know how awesome it is. It's for Street cars to drive and go to the track, make friends, drink beer and eat steak if your not broke on the side of the road which actually turns into even more fun for some odd reason.
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/31/12 04:32 PM

Quote:

What in the world are you talking about. NMCA only taking 3 gallons of gas. They have not done a 25 mile cruise in almost 20 years.

The NMCA True Street class still does the 25 mile drive + 3 hot laps, my buddy won it with his '84 Regal at Columbus and Martin in 2005/2006. That being said, the drive is really mild and not that exciting. The drive for the pump gas drags through rush hour traffic was much worse, and neither hold a candle to drag week.

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/31/12 04:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Leon... I built my engine for regular pump gas... I
was going to go with E-85 like on my race car BUT
and thats a big BUT... can you get it on a regular
basis on drag week... I dont know.. so thats why I
went with regular moose pisss.. if I thought I could
have found E-85 anywhere and everywhere I wouldnt
have had to buy pistons... with my build it was junk
I had in the shop EXCEPT for the pistons so its a
mix and match engine... thats fine for me since I
can only go 10.0 max(10.80 on DW)

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 12/31/12 05:44 PM

Quote:

I would like to try E85 but, Dragweek is such a big secret how do you know that it will be raced in an area where E85 is available. Guess you guys never considered that.

When the tracks are announced (usually in late January-ish BEFORE any sort of pre-registration opens), I GUARANTEE I'll be going off like a tornado siren so all interested parties will know when and where it will be this year. The Midwest is a good bet this year I'd guess.

There are plenty of people that run E85 every year. Some haul it, some buy it along the way. There are websites to locate stations that have E85 too. Those guys just keep that info handy when driving. The tracks typically always have race fuel available though. Some drive on pump gas, then drain and race on good stuff, then drain, and put the cheap stuff back in. One guy I know raced on E85 each day, then swapped carbs and did the drive on gasoline. lol Heck a small fuel cell with a Y and a couple of ball valves is all you'd need to eliminate the daily draining.

I just would love to see more really competitive Mopars busting them GM balls all week.

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 01/01/13 12:06 PM

for the people who have run drag week what was the TOTAL cost to you to participate? thx

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 01/01/13 03:39 PM

For my buddy it was about $2000... I went with him
and we split the hotel and beer cost... we figured
it would have been $2200 each to make it this year
depending on where its at.. we would both be hauling
a car and trailer and then dragging a trailer on DW

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 01/01/13 04:56 PM

For us last year, including travel to and from northeast Indiana, our costs were something like this:

$650 for tow rig fuel to get to Oklahoma and back.
$750 for gas for the car during the week, including a splash of race gas when we could get it.
$675 for hotels.
$350 for food, goodies, etc.
$100 for Drag Week shirts and stuff for friends.
$285 entry fee

Total: $2810

There were two of us, so the hotel and food would be less if you went solo. And we stayed in nicer hotels.

Scott

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 01/01/13 05:07 PM

Quote:

For us last year, including travel to and from northeast Indiana, our costs were something like this:

$650 for tow rig fuel to get to Oklahoma and back.
$750 for gas for the car during the week, including a splash of race gas when we could get it.
$675 for hotels.
$350 for food, goodies, etc.
$100 for Drag Week shirts and stuff for friends.
$285 entry fee

Total: $2810

There were two of us, so the hotel and food would be less if you went solo. And we stayed in nicer hotels.

Scott

Good info there
Posted By: Darryls-Demon

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 01/01/13 05:39 PM

I spent about 1700 dollars for the week, but I got some free room and board and my old Dodge Cummins pickup got very good mileage pulling my Dart the 2200 mile round trip.
I did spend almost a hundred dollars on T-shirts[tryed to get one from each track but some tracks where not selling them]and I did run with MoparBilly so that means you eat at places like the Olive Garden.
In fact I drove pass the one Olive Garden and did not see it, it was just before one of the check points. We get to the check point take our photo then have to back track to meet Billy at you guess it Olive Garden.

Attached picture 7527962-Dragweek2012193.JPG
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 01/01/13 05:49 PM

Quote:

where did you leave the tow vehicle or did you take it with you?
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 01/01/13 05:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You leave it at the first/last track.

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 01/01/13 05:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You leave it at the first/last track.

man that would be a long walk back

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 01/01/13 05:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You leave your tow rig at the track(home track/starting
point) in a impound area... on the morning of first
day they have a dead line time that your rig has to
be in the impound ... once its there you cant touch
it unless you break down and drop out of DW and
have to come back and get it

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 01/01/13 10:09 PM

Quote:

for the people who have run drag week what was the TOTAL cost to you to participate? thx

I never add it all up because I might not want to go again if I knew!!

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 01/01/13 10:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

how would you get back if you did break? do they have a bus

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 01/01/13 10:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

how would you get back if you did break? do they have a bus

In years past they had a car running with the DW guys
that could take you back to the base track to pick
up your rig... understand you are basically making
a big circle around the base track.. so you about
400 miles away at max

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 01/13/13 11:19 PM

I see that Rachael (Gebhart), along with MOPARTS, got some ink in the March Hot Rod on page 60. Congrats Billy on your daughters 67 Belvedere in the mag....

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 01/14/13 03:05 PM

Quote:

I see that Rachael (Gebhart), along with MOPARTS, got some ink in the March Hot Rod on page 60. Congrats Billy on your daughters 67 Belvedere in the mag....

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=1#Post7542553

Re: Drag Week???? LONG - 01/29/13 10:01 PM

need pics of dusterDJ new paint job
© 2024 Moparts Forums