Moparts

TIMING QUESTION

Posted By: n20mstr

TIMING QUESTION - 12/15/12 11:40 PM

How high have you been?

THe higher i go the faster it goes, where should i stop?
Posted By: a493demon

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/15/12 11:46 PM

i would stop at 68 at 69 she might blow a rod.
Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/16/12 02:54 AM

Quote:

How high have you been?

THe higher i go the faster it goes, where should i stop?

On the motor or on spray? (If motor only, DON'T ask SSR!!) What's the A/F ratio now?

If you're spraying it, you tune it EXACTLY like it's on just nuts....start out with the timing conservative....keep leaning it out until it stops gaining trap speed...AND THEN add timing 1 degree at a time until it stops gaining trap speed...you want to run as little timing as possible and run the best trap speed...

There is only one thing that will kill a motor...detonation...and there are only three things that cause it....Too much timing...Not high enough octane fuel for the amount of cylinder pressure you're making...or oil getting into the combustion process somehow...usually passed the rings from running way too rich or out of round cylinders or passed the intake gasket or valve guides...

Thank me later...
Posted By: joshking440

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/16/12 05:20 AM

Monte stole Wayne's login

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/16/12 05:27 AM

Quote:

Monte stole Wayne's login

LOL.....No, the only Mopar site he goes to is yours!!

Tuning gasoline is all the same...don't matter if it's NA, turbo, blower or nitrous..... Most people over-rocketeer it...If someone really understands NA tuning, nitrous is a breeze.....

I did a LOT of naturally aspirated tuning and fooled with nitrous a little before I called Monte and asked him what it would take to stop by my shop and give me a 1 on 1 nitrous class....after the class I was freaked out that nitrous was NO different than what I'd been doing all along with NA motors...

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/16/12 05:23 PM

hmmmmmmmm.....

20 spread 4lbs fuel and 5* total timing

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/17/12 02:08 AM

Quote:

hmmmmmmmm.....

20 spread 4lbs fuel and 5* total timing

That doesn't tell me much...I have no idea how many lbs/hour of nitrous you're using....have no idea if you have quench....have no idea if you have a domed piston...have no idea if your carburetor's A/F ratio is dialed in and maxed out...have no idea what the A/f ratio is...Is that someone's starting tune up, or is that where you've come to and it's no longer going any quicker by leaning it out?

4psi isn't necessarily bad but that's getting really close to being low enough to not get good flow to all the nozzles or filling up the spray bars so you can get good/even distribution....

I've seen you post that you have a RacePak...What's the A/F ratio on spray? At what A/F did the motor make max power on nuts? Even with a 20 jet spread and 4psi, if the A/F is in the 10's or 11's you have a long way to go...
Posted By: joshking440

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/17/12 02:55 AM

I think stash master is just posting up random numbers Wayne.

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/17/12 03:01 AM

Quote:

He may be...he may not be... If so, what's the point of this thread?

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/17/12 03:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

the point is to see if i can find those missing straps
Posted By: 440GTX

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/17/12 04:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Need to try 70 degrees of timing LOL you are the man tony !!!!!!!!
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/17/12 02:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Only YOU tony
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/17/12 03:26 PM

I have mine set at 41 right now in my stock stroke 440 5000 stall 7400 shifts picked up 37 to 39 then more 39 to 41 but I stopped there for this year. Cam, heads, piston design, rpms all affect it so advance till it quits gaining et and maybe more important MPH and maybe take 1 deg back out at that point.

My EA computer dyno program says 41 to 42 so??

Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/17/12 05:00 PM

Quote:

I have mine set at 41 right now in my stock stroke 440 5000 stall 7400 shifts picked up 37 to 39 then more 39 to 41 but I stopped there for this year. Cam, heads, piston design, rpms all affect it so advance till it quits gaining et and maybe more important MPH and maybe take 1 deg back out at that point.

What`s this program you speak of...........I`d like to see what it says about my junk.
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/17/12 05:50 PM

Start off at 50-60 total. Then as you replace parts retard it little by little till you hit the sweet spot. A good rule of thumb if you are replacing big parts retard it more, if small parts less. Good luck with it!!!
If you have any problems there is a guy up in your neck of the woods that uses this methods. I am sure he would be glad to help you out. Lol
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/17/12 08:05 PM

Quote:

Me thinks the data inputted on your EA program was for Chevys, not BB Mopars
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/17/12 10:44 PM

Mohammad Ghandi can tell you.
Posted By: actionange

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/17/12 11:01 PM

Quote:

Mohammad Ghandi can tell you.

Let me correct that- MOHELIUS. Mohatama's brother

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/18/12 01:22 AM

When this happens,reduce timing by 20 spread

Attached picture 7507704-IMG_4309.JPG

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/18/12 01:24 AM

BTW,,,,,,,the straps were in the oil pan

Attached picture 7507708-IMG_4308.JPG

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/19/12 04:25 AM

Quote:

ok...now i see, you ned to really strain the oil to keep the straps out of the bearing area...

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/19/12 04:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

ok...now i see, you ned to really strain the oil to keep the straps out of the bearing area...

Exception to the rule is when said strap enters through the top of piston.I thing they evaporate similar to a meteorite entering the atmosphere.So you would really have to sift through all the remnants in the oil pan

Attached picture 7509527-IMG_4307.JPG
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/19/12 05:52 AM

Well a full load (nitro) usually likes at least 50* of lead. I would start there and work up..

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/20/12 04:29 AM

Quote:

Well a full load (nitro) usually likes at least 50* of lead. I would start there and work up..

Ok so with NO NITRO.....70* is good?
Posted By: WheelsUp73

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/20/12 05:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Exception to the rule is when said strap enters through the top of piston.I thing they evaporate similar to a meteorite entering the atmosphere.So you would really have to sift through all the remnants in the oil pan

Detonating that bad makes for extreme cylinder temps. The straps melted away like solder.

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/20/12 05:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Detonating that bad makes for extreme cylinder temps. The straps melted away like solder.

They go POOOOOOOf,just like all his threads
Posted By: Kiner

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/20/12 12:13 PM

Lol
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/21/12 08:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not to mention so does the head gasket and the top of the block.
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/21/12 02:33 PM

We have run 80 to 85, but seem that the straps on the plugs are going, plus theres holes in the pistions so we duck taped the holes, and backed the timing down to 70 to 75, seems to be god there, but it starts hard(locked out) so we put a timimg retard on it, now I can't seem to get it to stop kicking back ? I'm not sure what to do now
Posted By: emarine01

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/21/12 04:32 PM

Quote:

We have run 80 to 85, but seem that the straps on the plugs are going, plus theres holes in the pistions so we duck taped the holes, and backed the timing down to 70 to 75, seems to be god there, but it starts hard(locked out) so we put a timimg retard on it, now I can't seem to get it to stop kicking back ? I'm not sure what to do now

Time for a air starter
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/21/12 05:04 PM

You really think its to that point

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/22/12 03:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Time for a air starter

I understand.................Air head,uses air starter
Posted By: mshred

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/22/12 06:29 PM

Tony's is always good for a laugh! LOL

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/22/12 08:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ok so with NO NITRO.....70* is good?

750* would work best!

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/23/12 03:39 AM

you know, today the temps are about 30 35 here and i tried starting my car....it was like rrrrrr rrrrrr rrrrr

DO you think the Nitro70 oil and the 70* timing are hindering the "cold startability" ????

Should i be heating the oil ?

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/23/12 03:49 AM

Ya needs a retard

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/23/12 06:13 AM

Mix nitromethane and hydrazine with the oil to thin it before starting. Also continue to advance the timing until it does not kick back. Then advance it some more until it actually fires.

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/23/12 03:41 PM

Are you sure about that

Attached picture 7515272-IMG_4600.jpg

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/27/12 02:26 AM

Quote:

Ya needs a retard

should i go FULL RETARD ?!?

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/27/12 02:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ya needs a retard

should i go FULL RETARD ?!?

Can you advance if your totally retarded?!?

Attached picture 7519807-Don'tmove.png
Posted By: 440GTX

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 12/31/12 06:25 PM

Way to quiet in here!!!!!! Happy New Year...

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 01/01/13 07:55 PM

Quote:

Way to quiet in here!!!!!! Happy New Year...

Happy new year to you !

I got a new timing light for X MAS ! ! !

finally some accurate readings

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 01/07/13 03:16 AM

maybe i messed up now>?

did i set the timing at 7* or 70*

maybe i need to rub some chalk in the timing marks on the tab and the balancer ?
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 01/07/13 03:47 AM

Quote:

maybe i messed up now>?

did i set the timing at 7* or 70*

maybe i need to rub some chalk in the timing marks on the tab and the balancer ?

Timing marks???? After all the issues last year I think you should just go "Old School" and adjust the timing by the sounds you get in your ear at idle then once you run it wide open you will know if it's right or not

Russ

Re: TIMING QUESTION - 01/07/13 04:28 AM

Ya needs the Jacson quick-ick 70* dialback back & fourth billet timing light with aliass adapters.
© 2024 Moparts Forums