Moparts

Suspension, what's next? need help

Posted By: SpareParts

Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/08/12 05:44 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNR4ELAoM6o

So Based on the little bit you can see of the leave what do I need to focus on now?
basic rundown is, SS springs 2800lb solid eye bushings, /6 T bars,MP rear shocks, Calvert fronts, stock A arms and front susp. SS springs are clamped on every leaf (testing showed improvement) This car hooks but the 60' seems slow to me. You'll notice I gave up the win light (and a lil dough) but what's the first thing that comes to mind that you see needs a change?

Thanks guys
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/08/12 06:07 AM

The front lifts but the rear doesnt do anything...
first would be rear shocks... get some adjustable ones
and the rear tire pressure looks high

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/08/12 07:25 AM

Quote:

I would definitely agree on tire pressure, freezing cold night and I was worried about the car moving around up top so for stability I kept pressure in it to avoid pedaling. What's your take on the rancho/calvert adjustable rear shocks? Thanks much

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/08/12 07:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I would definitely agree on tire pressure, freezing cold night and I was worried about the car moving around up top so for stability I kept pressure in it to avoid pedaling. What's your take on the rancho/calvert adjustable rear shocks? Thanks much

The Rancho 9 way would be the MINIMUM... alot of
guys use them with the Caltrac but they are IFFY
with SS springs... but from your vid I would say
to try them... you lacked any lift in the rear that
you should get from SS springs... what gear are you
running

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/08/12 07:57 AM

4.30 gear, 28" tire. These shocks are probably two years old now going on three. Not sure how long they should last.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/08/12 01:29 PM

Quote:

4.30 gear, 28" tire. These shocks are probably two years old now going on three. Not sure how long they should last.

More info needed!! tq vert stall / flash, leave rpm tire pressure you are running now, and carb?

Posted By: Deepockets

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/08/12 02:50 PM

Quote:

keep saving your lunch money and buy some nice rear shocks (double adj if poss) suspension tuning is vital. i'm with ya on that mr. P
Posted By: Dartwizer

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/08/12 03:48 PM

Are the springs in the stock location?

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/08/12 04:26 PM

Converter is a 4800 leave at 3k foot brake, had 18psi in tires, 750 proform DP, springs are moved inboard. I have a set of ranchos on the shelf, ran out of season to try them though
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/08/12 04:32 PM

as mentioned you need to get body separation that's what slams the tires against the ground
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/08/12 04:37 PM

If you go to the roundy round section of an AFCO catalog there is a lot of info on rear shackles and the effect of different setups. Well worth reading. If you have no rear lift, I suspect you have too stiff of a set of SS springs, poor shackle setup, bind, or some or all of the above. Too stiff on the shocks could be a culprit, although with SS springs that is very hard to achieve due to their very high leverage. The only other thing I could think of is spin at the hit(I didn't watch the vid, so,,,,)
I put a set of 002 and 003 springs on a 3300 lb Dart I am building and used stock shackles. It is stiff as all get out back there now. Not what I wanted. I should have bought the ones for a 2800 lb car instead. It is much better to have a low spring rate and control it with shocks and clamps than too stiff a spring, which can't be fixed without replacing them.

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/08/12 04:51 PM

I think in the spring I'll try and remove some of the clamps on the rear segment of the springs. I actually tried 002/003 springs this year but it would knock the tires right off on the prepped street. The 2800lb springs will pick the fronts on a decent concrete street after a proper burnout.
Posted By: mshred

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/08/12 05:21 PM

I'd let you try my used rancho 9 way's if my car wasn't in storage right now. I agree with some of the others though, most SS spring cars I have seen have LOTS of separation. I've never ran the SS springs, but I can't see a good set of adjustables NOT being a good investment- sure they might cost ya, but they are soo worth it. A set of strange D/A's is $250 each for the rear, but well worth the money...especially if your trying to get it to hook hard on the streets The tuneability is worth it imo
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/08/12 05:34 PM

Quote:

I think in the spring I'll try and remove some of the clamps on the rear segment of the springs. I actually tried 002/003 springs this year but it would knock the tires right off on the prepped street. The 2800lb springs will pick the fronts on a decent concrete street after a proper burnout.

My ss springs were always best with rear segments unclamped. Long drag shocks and or shock extensions. just a clamp 6" behind axle let them fan out on launch.

with the cal tracs SS springs and 9 way adjustable was best with rear of springs unclamped and shocks at 7 for foot braking.

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/08/12 05:34 PM

Can't try much this year, tracks closed. There's always my other "track" but it's just plain old too cold here. I'm mainly looking for tips for next year so I have all winter to read up and hide money lol
Posted By: 6PAK70CUDA

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/08/12 06:38 PM

Rear segments should not be clamped and I agree with the earlier comment too be wary of too stiff a spring. That car needs body separation to plant the tires. Also, to get the suspension working you may try leaving at a lower RPM so the converter "flashes" off the line. You need that action of the rear axle housing trying to rotate which makes the front segment push the body up and as Newton said, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. I believe that will drop your sixty as long as you are hooking.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/08/12 07:19 PM

Look real closely at the rear shackle angles as already suggested. If yours are in the stock location you need to move the upper pivot point forwars to the front of the car so you have a 30 degree or more angle on the rar shackles when sitting still with the weight on the rear tires The rear shackles need to be able to move forward under acceleration to help lift the back of the car up so it pushes the rear tires into the ground If there almost straight up and own when sitting still they will swing forward past the staright up and down and start pulling the rear spring eye down

Attached picture 7494353-MVC-029S.JPG
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/08/12 07:54 PM

Quote:

Can't try much this year, tracks closed. There's always my other "track" but it's just plain old too cold here. I'm mainly looking for tips for next year so I have all winter to read up and hide money lol

TIP; I`d seriously consider getting out of the ice ages and throw some c-tracs and rancho 9-ways on that thing then start posting about new best`s instead of HELP. Been there...........no fun chasing your tail............ peace!

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/08/12 09:00 PM

Shackle angle is fine, made sure I paid attention to that. Cal tracs will not be seen on this car for as long as I can avoid it. They make things easier but I'd rather do the homework and keep it spring only. Less is more approach is kinda what the car goes by.

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/08/12 09:03 PM

Quote:

Shackle angle is fine, made sure I paid attention to that. Cal tracs will not be seen on this car for as long as I can avoid it. They make things easier but I'd rather do the homework and keep it spring only. Less is more approach is kinda what the car goes by.

If that`s your thing, have at it...........

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/08/12 10:32 PM

Quote:

Keep the front segments as stiff as possible.. take the
clamps off the rear segments... that'll give you as
much rotation as possible... then its up to the shocks
to control the lift... then IF needed you can add
clamps on the rear(but I doubt it)
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/09/12 12:10 AM

one other item in that Afco article was the relationship of the spring surface to the spring seats. If there is any difference side to side (camber) that really messes with spring rate.
Posted By: MikeyT

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/09/12 12:15 AM

mike
Quote:

Boy< ain't that the truth!

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/09/12 12:53 AM

Quote:

mike
Quote:

Lol, ^^^^ this guys seen the car in action. Did I surprise ya Mikey?

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/09/12 04:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

mike
Quote:

Lol, ^^^^ this guys seen the car in action. Did I surprise ya Mikey?

Oh yes! Goes better then most, and looks awesome too!

Mike

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/09/12 05:02 AM

Put a Good set of true leaf springs and Good double adj.shocks, and go have some fun....
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/09/12 08:05 AM

Quote:

Put a Good set of true leaf springs and Good double adj.shocks, and go have some fun....

What are a "good set of leaf springs" I had my best luck with a A body using a BB with Ma Mopars 002/003 leafs, street and strip
Posted By: moparguy7074

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/09/12 02:04 PM

What about a pinion snubber? Is one required with the ss springs to achieve maximum body lift?

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/09/12 02:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What are a "good set of leaf springs" I had my best luck with a A body using a BB with Ma Mopars 002/003 leafs, street and strip

I used the 002/003 leafs myself,had good luck with them.They wore out,put a new set of 002/003.Not so good,maybe the vendor is different now.Had Gregg Luneak at Tri City Launcher make me a set for my 70 Dart. Cheap,no.But they work for me.

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/09/12 03:11 PM

Here is pic of the springs,Mopar left ,Tri City right

Attached picture 7495495-IM001116.JPG

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/09/12 03:16 PM

Mopar bottom,Tri city top

Attached picture 7495499-IM001114.JPG

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/09/12 03:19 PM

Quote:

What about a pinion snubber? Is one required with the ss springs to achieve maximum body lift?

A pinion snubber was a bandaid on stock wornout springs...
if the spring is doing the job properly it will give
lift.... I believe the rear clamps are most of his
problem due to the fronts trying to lift but as it
does the rear is trying to pull it back down so it
ends up as a wash in his case
Posted By: babarracuda

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/09/12 06:10 PM

I had my best luck with CalTracs and mono leafs. It feels a lot firmer when leaving than the SS springs did. I thought the 002/003 springs were for a 2800 LB car

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/09/12 06:37 PM

Quote:

I had my best luck with CalTracs and mono leafs. It feels a lot firmer when leaving than the SS springs did. I thought the 002/003 springs were for a 2800 LB car

Ted, I keep telling the kid, that, but he doesn't believe me! He insists on doing stuff the hard way!

PS. I do respect him for it too.
Mike

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/09/12 07:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ted, I keep telling the kid, that, but he doesn't believe me! He insists on doing stuff the hard way!

Mike

I hear ya on this one and I too tried to do the most w/the least till I woke up and stepped up to a bolt in suspension that surpasses most.............

Re: Suspension, what's next? need help - 12/09/12 07:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

If I liked easy I'd have an LS1 camaro with half the money in it and go a second faster
© 2024 Moparts Forums