Moparts

New Hemi blocks

Posted By: JohnRR

New Hemi blocks - 12/03/12 04:36 PM

HP Performance had NEW hemi and wedge blocks at PRI , says they are finally in production ...

http://www.hpperformancellc.com/store#!/~/category/id=2880288&offset=0&sort=normal
Posted By: domingo

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/03/12 06:10 PM

They have been working on having them done forever....I wonder if now they REALLY have em.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/03/12 06:21 PM

3 cast iron
2 aluminum
4 aluminum big bore

That's what their online catalog says they have in stock.

R.
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/03/12 07:19 PM

Quote:

HP Performance had NEW hemi and wedge blocks at PRI , says they are finally in production ...

http://www.hpperformancellc.com/store#!/~/category/id=2880288&offset=0&sort=normal

My understanding was that it takes 6 weeks from the time you place the order until the time it ships. Each block is finished per order.
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/03/12 08:34 PM

I've been holding off on a block purchase for almost 2 years as I am not a fan of the world block.

I've been waiting for this block to come out - tempting but I get nervous being one of the first.

Not to say it's a bad product - my uncle worked in a foundry and he shares his horror stories on how difficult it is to get everything right.

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/03/12 08:40 PM

Quote:

I've been holding off on a block purchase for almost 2 years as I am not a fan of the world block.

I've been waiting for this block to come out - tempting but I get nervous being one of the first.

Not to say it's a bad product - my uncle worked in a foundry and he shares his horror stories on how difficult it is to get everything right.

The block looks good , the company had a vendor problem that took time to settle which is why they have been silent for a couple years.

I heard that World is not going to be making them much longer, if they are even still ...

The HP block I saw looked like the later MP block that wasn't quite like the original blocks , it had the big round flat in front of the oil pump boss .
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/03/12 09:32 PM

Thanks for the info John... Man I am tempted to pull the trigger
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/03/12 10:44 PM

I live just up the road from David's shop. I stop by there when I can and that block they have, has the best of everything for a lower price than any of the others I have seen. Extra thick main webs, really thick deck area. Some extra oiling mods to get the oil out of the heads and back into the pan quicker than other blocks. Main caps have 6 bolts in them. When I do get my Hemi block, it will be one of his blocks. The foundary is in CA, but the machine work is all done in east TN at Milan Keasler's shop. Milan does a lot of testing, engineering and design work for Ford.
Forgot to add, they are a dry sleeve block and they even diamond hone/machine the aluminum cylinders before they install the steel sleeves. So, no o-rings to leak water into the oil.
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/03/12 10:46 PM

What is the weight? Anybody know?

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/03/12 10:55 PM

Quote:

weight was talked about but I don't remember the NUMBER , pretty sure it was a water block , but has thick cylinder walls so it won't be as light as an original ...
Posted By: Defbob

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/04/12 01:06 AM

John, the solid block without sleeves in it was mine

Attached picture 7487815-IMAG0414.jpg

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/04/12 01:32 AM

Quote:

the water blocks are 137 lbs.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/04/12 02:53 AM

Is that Aluminum? My world cast block is almost 250....
Posted By: 23T Hemmee

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/04/12 04:37 AM

Is this the father and son company that was in Dickson, TN 10-12 years ago, think their company was "Rod and Custom" or something like that. They had a couple of CnC workstations and waiting on a couple more when I went to their shop, had maybe 6 block castings in various states of completion. Last I heard they were building new shop and neighbors raised cain about not being zoned commercial, lost touch after that but thought they were using Hensley to market them at one time.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/04/12 04:40 PM

This company you are talking about I have called everyday for the last 4 months to get a timing cover I ordered and paid for. Nobody answers the phone and the voice mail is full.
Posted By: 23T Hemmee

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/04/12 05:15 PM

Just found their old business card, it was "Rod & Custom Machine & Fabrication". They were originally doing the A' motor hemi-head conversion for street rodders, which if I remember was a pretty slick deal, not necessarily a race package but was pretty complete from head gaskets up. The son's name on the card was Jeremy, no last name, their number was 615-441-3903.
Posted By: fig426

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/04/12 05:29 PM

Quote:

. Their website leaves a lot to be desired. Unless I'm missing something?
Posted By: dogdays

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/05/12 12:34 AM

http://www.hpperformancellc.com/store/blocks
They're unknown to me.
R.
Posted By: moparts

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/05/12 02:43 AM

Quote:

Is this the father and son company that was in Dickson, TN 10-12 years ago, think their company was "Rod and Custom" or something like that. They had a couple of CnC workstations and waiting on a couple more when I went to their shop, had maybe 6 block castings in various states of completion. Last I heard they were building new shop and neighbors raised cain about not being zoned commercial, lost touch after that but thought they were using Hensley to market them at one time.

No different business

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/06/12 02:10 AM

My block is the back one standing up.

Attached picture 7490889-photo.JPG

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/06/12 02:30 AM

My solid block is standing in the middle

Attached picture 7490915-photo4.JPG

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/06/12 03:28 AM

Quote:

I thought they said those 2 blocks were BLEMS and not production pieces ???

Re: New Hemi blocks *DELETED* - 12/06/12 03:32 AM

Post deleted by Performance Only

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/06/12 03:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I thought they said those 2 blocks were BLEMS and not production pieces ???

My block just isn't finished. It is not "production", more experimental. I made certain requests to it. My solid block is also the old style casting (he had some left over raw castings), future ones should look like the water block next to it. The iron block is a blem block.

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/06/12 04:01 AM

Quote:

there's a couple of things i didn't care for on those blocks. One of the main things is the way the main caps are cut off at a 45 degree angle on each side where they would normally fit flat against the block. the footprint is reduced to only about 1 inch instead of 2 inches on each side. I'm sure it makes it easier to register the cap but i'm also sure there's some scarifice in rigidity.
I was also told the main stud threads are about 3 inches deep in the block, but no answer as far as available main stud kits with that much thread length. No Heli-coils or Time-serts to be found anywhere either. there's a few other things but suffice it to say that for 5000.00 dollars i expected a little more.

No need for heli-coils if you use studs... or don't constantly remove and re-torque or even over-torque bolts. I personally feel the main caps have enough engagement on the sides. Have you seen the amount of side contact on Indy, World, BAE and TFX blocks? Only Keith Black blocks have more. The caps are not going to fall out of the blocks plain and simple. They will hold up to any kind of power you guys plan to make. I will let you know how the solid blocks hold up to Pro-Mod power

The picture is one of the prototype blocks I was testing for him back in 2007, but the main caps are the same as current.

Attached picture 7491087-5-10-09-13.JPG

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/06/12 04:11 AM

I don't work for David or anything, but he is a friend of mine and I would like to see him do well producing these blocks, he has put so much effort into making these blocks and he is really excited to finally have blocks ready for production.

Re: New Hemi blocks *DELETED* - 12/06/12 04:16 AM

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/06/12 04:26 AM

I am building a an Outlaw Radial car and I am going to use the solid block (the one on display) as the foundation of my motor. It will be an EFI alcohol Hemi with twin 94mm turbos. If the block survives that, it'll survive anything. No one will ever know if someone doesn't try it first.

If the solid block does not hold up, I will switch to a Forged/billet block. But it will give David insight on whether or not changes must be made. It'll just be real life R&D.
Posted By: Race&Resto

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/07/12 04:46 AM

I noticed the approximately 45 degree angled cut into the main caps, so do the blocks webs also have the 45 degree cast into it, or is it a hollow space. If it is cast into it, wouldn't that be better support for the main caps, instead of having a 90 degree angle that would cause stress/cracking at the webs. In reality more support for the webs.

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/07/12 06:08 AM

Quote:

I noticed the approximately 45 degree angled cut into the main caps, so do the blocks webs also have the 45 degree cast into it, or is it a hollow space. If it is cast into it, wouldn't that be better support for the main caps, instead of having a 90 degree angle that would cause stress/cracking at the webs. In reality more support for the webs.

there's an open hole where the cap is cut to 45. no support to the block in that area.

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/07/12 02:19 PM

HP's block does not have any less contact than either World or Indy. I will talk to David about the main/caps if you guys feel there should be more surface contact.

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/07/12 07:16 PM

I think it's better if i just stay away from some of these topics.

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/07/12 07:24 PM

So you haven't seen the block in person. For those that have not personally seen these blocks, the main caps have two dowels per cap.

Re: New Hemi blocks *DELETED* - 12/07/12 07:38 PM

Posted By: Troy

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/07/12 08:56 PM

....kinda funny. Why would they machine the corners off the main caps like they did??? What would be the purpose?? I can see taking off .060+/- or so but why so much???

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/07/12 09:02 PM

I'll post a picture of a finished cap from my block, when I get home.

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/07/12 11:19 PM

Quote:

Despite Performance Only removing his comments from his posts, here are pictures of the dowels for the caps.

Attached picture 7493219-8-24-08-02.JPG

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/07/12 11:22 PM

Attached picture 7493223-8-24-08-05.JPG

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/07/12 11:23 PM

Quote:

Despite Performance Only removing his comments from his posts, here are pictures of the dowels for the caps.

I altered my posts because the cap i held in my hand was NOT doweled, that was the reason i asked about making that change. You seem to know everything there is to know so i'll let you continue without any interference.
Posted By: Race&Resto

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/08/12 10:29 PM

I meant no disrespect, I was just posing a question as to why the caps had this angled cut in them or what the theory behind it might be.

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/09/12 01:38 AM

You had a valid question. I asked David about machining a generous radius into the block in that area to distribute the load. He said he is having a third party evaluate the design to see if any changes would in fact offer improvement.

If any of you have suggestions or questions feel free to call him. He is a very nice guy and will love to hear what you guys have to say.

David 865-310-7513
Posted By: BIG BEAR

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/09/12 03:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Despite Performance Only removing his comments from his posts, here are pictures of the dowels for the caps. [/quote

defbob... have you had any luck with the one piece rear main sealing... or have you not had the motor together yet? I seem to remember talking to a guy from HP products a number of years ago... he seemed to be a very nice fellow if I'm remembering correctly. At that time they had an aluminum one at the show and they were still working on the iron. I believe I was telling the guy what a real pain it was to get it right. Good to see that they are still after it and good luck to their company

]

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/09/12 04:05 AM

I never got to run my first motor, there were some issues that prevented me from hitting the dyno. About the rear cap, I didn't use o-ring material on the rear cap sides, I just used silicone in the passages. I did use a Mopar Performance rubber 2pc rear main seal. I did not get to see if the silicone was enough to seal the rear cap. BTW, the rear cap was the hardest to remove
Posted By: BIG BEAR

Re: New Hemi blocks - 12/09/12 04:09 AM

I figured that removal would be a real treat

Re: New Hemi blocks - 03/29/13 06:14 PM

Main Caps have been redesigned

Attached picture 7645781-Hemi3.JPG

Re: New Hemi blocks - 03/29/13 06:14 PM

Attached picture 7645782-Hemi4.JPG

Re: New Hemi blocks - 03/29/13 06:15 PM

Attached picture 7645784-Hemi2.JPG

Re: New Hemi blocks - 03/29/13 06:15 PM

Attached picture 7645785-Hemi1.JPG

Re: New Hemi blocks - 03/29/13 08:35 PM

Quote:

I spent quite a lot of time discussing the old main cap design with him at PRi. I'm happy to see he made the change.
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: New Hemi blocks - 04/08/13 03:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I spent quite a lot of time discussing the old main cap design with him at PRi. I'm happy to see he made the change.

I kinda need a hemi block, but I need a raised cam.

Re: New Hemi blocks - 04/08/13 11:56 AM

He makes raised cams. He'll make any cam tunnel you want. My solid block has a 55mm roller bearing tunnel.

Attached picture 7659088-3-29-13-01.JPG
Posted By: domingo

Re: New Hemi blocks - 04/08/13 03:54 PM

are these ready for sale?

Re: New Hemi blocks - 04/08/13 11:11 PM

I don't want to speak out of place, but they will be very VERY soon.
© 2024 Moparts Forums